TAT To Officially Unveil 'Miracle Year Of Amazing Thailand' Campaign Next Week

webfact

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been living here over 5 years non-stop. I have never had a problem in Thailand and I have never been scammed. Is it because: [a] I'm incredibly lucky; I'm super-smart; or [c] simply because I never look for any trouble, I'm polite, courteous and respectful will all people I meet (not just Thais) and having a positive, friendly, humorous and never too serious attitude (which I call an "attitude of gratitude") is everything? Errm... [c]. You reap what you sow. If your attitude stinks, Thailand will become Stinkland. Even the sewers/heaps of rubbish smell good to me.

Edited by FalangBaa
  • Like 1

With all due respect (precious little), I always imagine the brainstorming sessions at T.A.T. to be something akin to the illustration below.

Sometimes referred to as 'pipe dreams'.

post-9891-0-59107200-1332750316_thumb.jp

Does the T.A.T. ever ask a westerner what they think of their ideas? coffee1.gif

miracle of the year of amazing Thailand...

that still so many overseas buyers accept all the problems, too late response, difficuties, narsisstic behaviour , stupidities and laziness of the Thais as suppliers.

For me: over 90% of my originally from Thailand coming business is already switched away.

Or.. as the argument between me and a French living in Krung thep is: according me, the Thais loose 90-95 % of their business opportunities. He, living there, estimates it on 96-98%

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who presented her government's tourism policies to the Cabinet, hopes to boost total visitors to 30 million per year in the next four years.

I love TAN. How else would I have learned there are such things as government's tourism policies?

I thought Miss Look&Feelgood and her cabinet are focussed and already busy enough to bring their favorite Dubai-Tourist to the Thai-Light- Zone...

Regarding the slogan: Is there anyone out there not thinking the common people contributed enough during the last two Miracle Years of Amazing Thailand? A year without "Miracles" would give them a fair relief.

I have been living here over 5 years non-stop. I have never had a problem in Thailand and I have never been scammed. Is it because: [a] I'm incredibly lucky; I'm super-smart; or [c] simply because I never look for any trouble, I'm polite, courteous and respectful will all people I meet (not just Thais) and having a positive, friendly, humorous and never too serious attitude (which I call an "attitude of gratitude") is everything? Errm... [c]. You reap what you sow. If your attitude stinks, Thailand will become Stinkland. Even the sewers/heaps of rubbish smell good to me.

BINGO!!clap2.gif

BINGO!!clap2.gif

It should be a wild success as long as they focus on the Middle-Eastern/Russian market. Those who love beaches have discovered Langkawi, so there's no need to bother talking about Thailand's garbage strewn beaches but Thailand is a great place to visit for a bunch of vodka-drunk/burqa-wearing jet-setters. You can stay at the six-star (according to Thais) St. Regis, in Bangkok, and enjoy Thailand's world-famous service (or lack thereof for anyone who's been here longer than a week and has been outside the "resorts").

That's because you can't smell yourself. It's a basic law of nature: you can't smell what you've grown accustomed to (i.e. yourself).

Edited by Unkomoncents

miracle of the year of amazing Thailand...

that still so many overseas buyers accept all the problems, too late response, difficuties, narsisstic behaviour , stupidities and laziness of the Thais as suppliers.

For me: over 90% of my originally from Thailand coming business is already switched away.

Or.. as the argument between me and a French living in Krung thep is: according me, the Thais loose 90-95 % of their business opportunities. He, living there, estimates it on 96-98%

Not a happy camper!

Edited by bigbamboo

TAT spends THB220 mil in overseas promotion

At the same time, the TAT will make three short documentaries on nature-based tourism, community-based tourism, and product purchase, which are aimed at enhancing the image and tourism of Thailand. The documentaries will be shown on various world-renowned channels, such as BBC and National Geographic. The project is scheduled to commence between April and June 2012.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-03-26 footer_n.gif

As a filmmaker I hope they have spoken to the BBC and Nat Geo first as they won't just stick your film on just because you made it. I suspect they are just throwing names about.

I do have a suggestion for a new slogan, considering the predictions of so many new tourists, how about "Thailand, Land of Unbridled Optimism"

My family is coming to Bangkok, however it's not because of the "Miracle Year of the Amazing Thailand". It's because we have been able to save enough to purchase the 8 tickets we needed. We came to see family, and for no other reason. Years ago i thought how nice it would be to purchase a home here and retire, my children and grandchildren could come to visit and enjoy life. With the corruption I see now from government officials and others, it's just not worth the risk. When i first arrived in the early 70s, there was corruption, but no where near as bad as today. Thailand expects more tourist for their Miracle Year, well they had first better talk to the national airline and see if the cost can be reduced to a reasonable amount. I was able to purchase tickets from China Air for approximately 1/2 the amount Thai Inter was charging. I am sure with better service also. I guess im just blowing off a little steam, but Thailand is much worse now than 40 years ago!

At least they are putting a Realistic face on their Campaign....

'Miracle Year of Amazing Thailand' ...

Same Same...

'Thailand where using proper English is Up-2-U'

I'm sure Tourist will come flocking showing all the respect that the government wishes to receive.

You get what you pay for!

CS

Is it my imagination, or are all English-language marketing slogans in Thailand based on the rearrangement of six or seven vaguely positive-sounding adjectives, half of which are never used by sentient native English speakers? I suppose we should be grateful they haven't used "upscale" or "trendy". Actually, that might work. "Trendy Thailand, For all Your Upscale Lifestyle Needs".

Their English skills don't include "Neutral" Adjectives... so they don't realize that both 'Amazing' and 'Miracle' can be used both ways, Negatively as well as Positively... They are not uniquely and solely Positive adjectives.

But this is Thailand... TIT and correct English from the government would be an Amazing Miracle!

CS

I'm wondering if the people at TAT realise that many/most people in the West are struggling to stay afloat - and have other kinds of "miracles" on their minds.

> The TAT governor said the TAT this year will focus its marketing efforts on Asian markets to make up for the decline in travelers from Europe, which is experiencing economic problems.

However, the company will continue its promotional activities in the European market to maintain the customer base.

I'm wondering if the people at TAT realise that many/most people in the West are struggling to stay afloat - and have other kinds of "miracles" on their minds.

> The TAT governor said the TAT this year will focus its marketing efforts on Asian markets to make up for the decline in travelers from Europe, which is experiencing economic problems.

However, the company will continue its promotional activities in the European market to maintain the customer base.

The problem with the European market is that for a large number of tourists, at least the upmarket ones who spend money, Thailand is a winter destination and a second holiday and these are the ones most likely to be cut from their budget in difficult times.

Miracle 1: An enchanting 2-hour immigration cue after a 14-hour long-haul flight to help you acclimatize to the tropical climate;

Miracle 2: A charming taxi driver whose vehicle's meter doesn't work, but who graciously offers you a special fare of just 800 Baht for getting you from Suvarnabhumi to Sukhumvit Road;

Miracle 3: A friendly city inspector who alerts you that you've dropped a cigarette butt (although you don't smoke), but agress to let you off this time for a humble contribution of only 2,000 Baht;

Miracle 4: As you intend to visit the magnificent Grand Palace, a concerned local assures you that it is closed today and offers to instead take you to a "government-owned" jewelry store that has a fantastic price promotion going on "only today and only once a year";

...and many more such miracles in Amazing Thailand!

Cynic cowboy.gif

My family is coming to Bangkok, however it's not because of the "Miracle Year of the Amazing Thailand". It's because we have been able to save enough to purchase the 8 tickets we needed. We came to see family, and for no other reason. Years ago i thought how nice it would be to purchase a home here and retire, my children and grandchildren could come to visit and enjoy life. With the corruption I see now from government officials and others, it's just not worth the risk. When i first arrived in the early 70s, there was corruption, but no where near as bad as today. Thailand expects more tourist for their Miracle Year, well they had first better talk to the national airline and see if the cost can be reduced to a reasonable amount. I was able to purchase tickets from China Air for approximately 1/2 the amount Thai Inter was charging. I am sure with better service also. I guess im just blowing off a little steam, but Thailand is much worse now than 40 years ago!

15 years ago when I first visited Thailand tourists were treated nicely with courtesy and were appreciated. What made the Thai experience a good one was not only inexpensive food and accommodations but the overall kindness of Thais towards tourists.

At the time my passports had amassed over 65 stamps from several countries which did not make me an easy prey of first impressions. Nevertheless, I was in awe of Thailand's creativity, their music and other artistic manifestations. Thais impressed me as the best set builders I had ever seen. The Wat Phra Keaw was the epitome of their creativity in Bangkok. That artistic side of Thailand, their use of colors and their ability to decorate adequately any venue still excites my mind.

Fast forward to the present. Corruption from high places in industry and government to street level. Predatory scams perpetrated on tourist with impunity. Where there is a scam the presence of police is looming. The lopsided balance of justice against foreigners. There is a palpable xenophobia expressed at various levels. 15 years ago tourists were protected. Nowadays tourists are targets. That applies to scammers, motorcycles and other motorized vehicles. It is as if they truly believe that they have no need or use for tourists in this land of theirs.

Maybe a lean time of a few years without tourists will wake up government and citizens to the fact that 6 to 7 % of their GDP must be safe guarded first by protecting and appreciating tourists in Thailand. I saw it in Spain where I lived and only when tourists stopped favoring that country over others did they begin national campaigns entreating people to respect, protect and appreciate the presence of tourists in Spain. Will that ever happen in self absorbed Thailand?

Edited by pisico
  • Like 1

The bigger problem is getting tourists to return to Thailand; other than a few boutique resorts that are run by foreigners the rest of Thailand is kind of polluted and rundown and not in a quaint way. Ten years ago Koh Chang was a clean beautiful national park with a FEW hotels, now it looks like the same dump you see everywhere in Thailand; ramshackle buildings encroaching on every road and garbage strewn everywhere.

Drive across the border to Malaysia and you enter a country that is clean with proper roads and the building construction meets international standards. Walk down most streets in BKK and every few hundred meters you have an overpowering smell of sewer gas. That is of course if you can navigate the terrible sidewalks.

TAT needs to spend the money on ads in Thailand directed at Thais encouraging them to clean up their country and stop polluting.

• Like 1