Getting Out A 1 Yr Lease 4 Months In To Move Somewhere Else

Hi,

I rented a condo for 1 year from a real estate agent in Chiang Mai. When i moved in i needed to get good DSL internet and that required a min of 1 year contract. Im here for the year so it made sense to go for a year contract since it was cheaper. The apartment is fine, nice location and all but there is 2 building sites near by and the view is extinct from the new building so the view is basically the apartment blocks a couple of feet away. Now i knew all this coming into the lease so ive no excuses, if i could complain about one thing its the air con leaves a stink and having the maintenance guy look at it didnt help.

The main reason i want to move is at the time i was looking my budget was uncertain and there wasnt a great deal available for my price range, now i have a bigger budget and would like to move somewhere nicer possibly with a pool. Im willing to go through the same estate agent and would prefer to because they have been good to deal with. I respect i have signed a contract and if the shoe was on the other foot i wouldnt like it if someone was trying to break a contract. With that in mind i would be willing to lose my deposit and also pay the difference of the discount i got for going for a year contract. Im here 3.5 months now and was hoping to move out after 4-5 months. I might even pay an extra months rent to keep them happy and give them a month to find someone to move in.

So my questions are:

1 - Is it easy to get out of a contract, i assume i lose my 2 months deposit, i can live with that, am i likely to have any other hassles, since im going to be using the same real estate will they blacklist me because i do this or just be happy im staying with them, i plan on spending double on the next place so it will be more money for them

2 - I have true broadband 1 year contract and also true TV platinum package, can i simply transfer it to the new building or will i have to buy out my contract and start from scratch all over, instead of buying out since there is 8 months left can i just pay a cancellation fee.

Really appreciate any advice.

sorry for double post, internet went down and didnt realize refreshing made a double, please delete one of them as i cant figure out how to delete

Done. Members cannot delete posts or threads, if something does go wrong just hit the 'report' button on the thread you want deleting.

As to your contract, there should be a cancellation clause in there somewhere, you will likely lose your deposit but I doubt there will be any other repercussions.

Ok yeah there isnt a cancellation clause although under the deposit section it does say cancellation of the contract means i forfeit my 2 months deposit. Am i required to give 1 months notice, i think i will regardless to be fair but i might out as soon as the other place is ready. Finally because i moved out in less than 12 month will i have to pay the difference between the short and long term renting amounf?

<p>Also appreciate any advice on switching my TV and Internet package to the new place, can you do that like in Europe or have to cancel the contract and pay deposits etc all over again? If i have to cancel whats the cancellation fee usually or are you stuck to paying the%2

ok yeah its similar back in Ireland but its not really enforced as such, usually you come to an agreement with the landlord and the alternative is if he refuses you leave anyway and he just takes your deposit, they can bring you to court but its not usually worth it and easier to just come to an agreement, like i said if i was in the same boat as the landlord i wouldnt be pleased so i would like to come to a fair agreement. My worry is that the agency will just refuse and say i must see out my contract and i really want to leave. Ill keep you guys updated for anyone else in a similar situation, ill try emailing them tomorrow

I would hang it at the place you are in for the duration of the signed lease, save any hassles and bank the interim savings. Then, with 2 months to go, reassess what is available and make a timely, stressless move to a new and better digs with a fistfull of extra cash for any amenities that may be required.