Ministerial Action Urged Over Vice TV Message 'Thailand Is The World's Brothel'

webfact

I don't know for sure but ladies don't come to Thailand to find a brothel do they? Isn't some country in Africa the worlds brothel for women? Just trying to be fair.

That would be in the Carribean. Maybe Cuba or Dominican Republic, where Stella got her Groove back.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If this is a competition for concentration of putas on one area, I don't think you can beat Mexico City. When I was there I wandered off into the "wrong" neighborhood and it was mind boggling, miles and miles of street walkers straight out of a Fellini movie. For me it was about as sexually appealing as a can of paint but it did make an impression. Never saw anything in Thailand to come close.

I believe the largest brothel in the world was in Saigon, "The Hall of Mirrors" with 1200 ladies.

Well Pattaya is one of if not the largest red light district on earth. While other Asian countries have just as much if not more prostitution, they don't usually allow foreigners while Pattaya is aimed at them

Can you name any country that doesn't have prostitution? Some are legal, some illegal but "open" others illegall and more underground. The Philipinnes is rife with whores, and they all look for the foreigners. Big Chinese cities, HK, Macau all full of East European and South American as well as Asian whores. US and Western Europe pretty open. Thailand suffers this bad publicity but in reality is far from the worst.

Two issues here

1. Isn't it time the Thai government and/or various political groups stopped the ingenuous posturing regarding the PR image of the Kingdom regarding prostitution? Prostitution is, has been, and always will be, merely a service job which thrives within any socio-economic environment offering few other options. As the oldest profession, It has no moral backdrop, no political affiliation or sexual bias. If you represent a nation as a government appointee, take a look first at your educational system, your empowerment culture for all genders/sexual preferences, the values you impart to the next generation regarding materialism, sexuality, inequality and opportunity. First and foremost, take a long hard look, with your sons and daughters in mind, at both government and parental responsibility/provision; legal enforcement; role modelling; and how your national policy assists, promotes and affords a lifestyle which makes prostitution redundant.

Then, take your argument to the media and try to change the image.

The facts are that the consumers of such a socio-economic culture are not the problem; supply and demand are intimate and symbiotic partners in this exchange. It is the job of the nation, its government and cultural representatives to tailor its reality to prevent this kind of prevalent SEA/Pattaya PR.

Simply, educate the population to raise the bar for its children, and most importantly, offer social/financial support for the most vulnerable groups in society: especially women and children of both genders.

2. The second issue is less wordy. Anyone: male, female, other, of all nationalities: look at your life and your choices. Not against any highly moral or religious backdrop: that is every person's own choice and private concern. Simply, to participants of this forum (and I am looking at the banner Ad right now on this forum as I type...asking me which AsianBeauty.com I prefer ?? ) why respond to this kind of news with some kind of morbid pissing competition as to whether Pattaya, Hanoi or Mexico City is, in fact, the biggest brothel?? Don't you have some laundry to do, or something???

If this is a competition for concentration of putas on one area, I don't think you can beat Mexico City. When I was there I wandered off into the "wrong" neighborhood and it was mind boggling, miles and miles of street walkers straight out of a Fellini movie. For me it was about as sexually appealing as a can of paint but it did make an impression. Never saw anything in Thailand to come close.

I believe the largest brothel in the world was in Saigon, "The Hall of Mirrors" with 1200 ladies.

Cologne has a 12 storey brothel with around 120 whores, 80 staff, amenities etc. 1200 "ladies" - must be 10 times bigger ??

• Like 1

Two issues here

1. Isn't it time the Thai government and/or various political groups stopped the ingenuous posturing regarding the PR image of the Kingdom regarding prostitution? Prostitution is, has been, and always will be, merely a service job which thrives within any socio-economic environment offering few other options. As the oldest profession, It has no moral backdrop, no political affiliation or sexual bias. If you represent a nation as a government appointee, take a look first at your educational system, your empowerment culture for all genders/sexual preferences, the values you impart to the next generation regarding materialism, sexuality, inequality and opportunity. First and foremost, take a long hard look, with your sons and daughters in mind, at both government and parental responsibility/provision; legal enforcement; role modelling; and how your national policy assists, promotes and affords a lifestyle which makes prostitution redundant.

The facts are that the consumers of such a socio-economic culture are not the problem; supply and demand are intimate and symbiotic partners in this exchange. It is the job of the nation, its government and cultural representatives to tailor its reality to prevent this kind of prevalent SEA/Pattaya PR.

Simply, educate the population to raise the bar for its children, and most importantly, offer social/financial support for the most vulnerable groups in society: especially women and children of both genders.

2. The second issue is less wordy. Anyone: male, female, other, of all nationalities: look at your life and your choices. Not against any highly moral or religious backdrop: that is every person's own choice and private concern. Simply, to participants of this forum (and I am looking at the banner Ad right now on this forum as I type...asking me which AsianBeauty.com I prefer ?? ) why respond to this kind of news with some kind of morbid pissing competition as to whether Pattaya, Hanoi or Mexico City is, in fact, the biggest brothel?? Don't you have some laundry to do, or something???

Ref point 1: Many people may be driven to prostitution by socio-economic issues. Although other threads on this forum have debated the fact that they always have a choice. America, Western Europe and Australia all have prostitution and those involved are not all near poverty. Some make extremely good money - and see the work as easier than other less profitable options. This is their choice. Prostitution is a commonality of societies regardless of genetic, history, religious, cultural or educational evolution. Changes in so called "developed" countries have not led to the disappearence of prostitution.

Ref point 2: Presumably you completed the laundry before posting a comment?

Cologne has a 12 storey brothel with around 120 whores, 80 staff, amenities etc. 1200 "ladies" - must be 10 times bigger ??

No, just a bigger fishbowl.

Two issues here

Ref point 1: Many people may be driven to prostitution by socio-economic issues. Although other threads on this forum have debated the fact that they always have a choice. America, Western Europe and Australia all have prostitution and those involved are not all near poverty. Some make extremely good money - and see the work as easier than other less profitable options. This is their choice. Prostitution is a commonality of societies regardless of genetic, history, religious, cultural or educational evolution. Changes in so called "developed" countries have not led to the disappearence of prostitution.

So your point is everyone is the same? America, Western Europe, Australia (I think you forgot a number of other developed countries [singapore, Monaco, Japan]) are all the exact same as Thailand. They all have prostitution, so they're the same? And the exact nature and level of prostitution is the same as well? I assume the legal standards are similar...as are the enforcement standards? Would you like some property on the moon? I sell all kinds of deeds to unique, revisionist concepts of property! I promise you will satisfied with your investment when you look at yourself in the mirror because everything is just the same level of quality, including your investments...

Edited by Unkomoncents

Two issues here

Thanks for reminding me about my laundry lady. She is a cutie and I haven't done her in a while. Now maybe there are laundries in other countries that offer the same services as my laundry lady in Thailand does, namely; booze, slot machines and sex but I have not seen them. I did hear of one in the States that did business at a truck stop like that. Same labor pool. Not quite the same market. Long haul truckers and bored housewives. It is a good business model, if you think about it. Low initial cash outlay.

• Like 1

You know there are Thai ladies working there right? One got stabbed in 2003 if memory serves me correctly.

Where can I find the stats of sex ratios of visitors to Thailand - I can't seem to be able to raise them on google.

See this site:

http://www.wouk.org/...%20Thailand.pdf

It is kind of a goofy article see quote,

"Below are suggestions for how you can become

involved in this issue within your own country.

• Lobby and Boycott travel agencies that sell and condone sex tours.

• Approach national airlines requesting that they show in-flight videos on flights to

Asia condemning sex tourism and stating that sex with minors is a crime and

punishable by national and international law.

• Write to your own government stating your concerns about advocating ‘good

tourism.’

• Pray that God should intervene. "

Here are tourism arrivals by gender. For the first part of last year, 39.9% of tourist arrivals to Thailand were female. Among Europeans, that percent was 43%.

http://www.tourism.g.../Sex-Travel.pdf

Note that 'sex-travel' there refers to gender of arrivals, nothing more

China

http://www.cnto.org/...alsByAgeSex.asp

In China 35.7% of arrivals were female

Here are statistics for the UK.

http://www.visitbrit...data/index.aspx

43% of tourist to the UK are female. The percent is higher than Thailand, but not significantly. A 50/50 gender ratio among tourists is not normal. Men travel more. Especially to a far off destination.

Some men certainly are going for sex. But they are vastly outnumbered by the millions who are not. The bars would be heaving with customers instead of being half empty and there wouldn't be so many shutting down or doing poorly otherwise.

Let's add to that 43% the 3 million, of which were 480,000 US citizens, coming for cheap medical services. Last years quota of visitors is suppositioned at 11.2 million. 3/11.2=0.28 , so there's another 28% that were not here for the sex industry (maybe a very very small percentage indulged, but I doubt it). So we're upto 71% of tourists not here for the sex trade. Then there's families and couples, which there appear to be no stats for, and yet I see plenty of lovey dovey couples touring hand in hand, and certainly lots of families with babies and children, and even if that number is only 15%, as a low haphazard guess, we are upto 86% of farang not here for sex.

There's your rough figures Thai at Heart. Care to comment on the viable truth of these figures.

Add to those figures the armed services or various countries, who do come onshore and go to use the 'services of vice' probably a good million a year from all countries, and don't forget it was the US invasion of Vietnam that caused this massive reputation downfall of Thailand being free and easy when it came to girls, when they had AK-47s on their backs, I think you find it is about 10% of farang who do come here purely for the sex industry.

What say ye, being Thai at heart? wink.png

-mel.

Assuming that no medical tourists even indulged in any activity at all during their visit is a nonsense.

We started this discussion on perceptions being less important than fact. I stand by the idea that most tourists perceive that "sex" is at the top of the tree for the perception of a majority of tourists coming into the country. There is an thriving industry in most major cities aimed at the Asian tourists coming here, it is not rare to be propositioned by tour guides, caddies, joked with by waitresses who appear respectable. The idea that the "sex" industry is limited only to the red light districts or resorts is piffle, and this is widely known. Thus the entire industry is grossly under estimated anyway.

Using stats like this on pure tourist arrivals makes absolutely no account of repeat visitors hanging out and indulging regularly, millions of repeat female border crossers from Malaysia or Laos for example, it is not a straight statistical measurement. The numbers that eminate from the TAT are completely screwy anyway. Beyond that I don't really differentiate between a tourist going for a Thai massage and a bit of light relief or sitting in a go-go bar. They went there because they "perceive/know" that it is available.

I have worked in companies here with operations all over the region, and without fail, the first thing any male employee coming here from the region wants to know about is where to get girls. Not scientific, but their reaction is based on "perception" isn't it? The only thing largely putting them off is diseases.

Of course, you could also look at the stats and claim that 40% were women, what percentage of which were with a partner and which were not, of which would leave approximately 40% men, but then what of children. If you assume that Thailand isn't a family destination like other areas because of distance and perception, that could mean that a disproptionatly large amount of the remaining 60% were single men.

So, depending on how you wish to spilt the numbers.

40% female, 20% with a partner, 20% not

50% men, equivalent amount with a partner

10% children

This perception won't go away until taxi drivers stop offering services, or you don't get offered something around the pool at the Hilton in Pattaya (a little shocking for a 5 start hotel) as happened to a relative of mine, or your caddie doesn't give out her phone number offering a bit at the 19th hole. It is everywhere, freely available even from apparently the most innocuous places and this adds to the perception above and beyond looking at the red light districts alone.

Medical tourism situation of Thailand

The overall situation of Thailand's medical care services in 2007 is presented as follows. There were 1.42 million foreign customers using medical care services in Thailand particularly at the private hospitals. The business be able to generate high revenues about 37,300 million Baht in total. Approximately the expense per head is 26,205 Baht or 1,018 US dollars. In fact, 814,591 of the foreign customers (57.23%) are expatriates, another 608,827 foreign customers (42.77%) are tourists traveling to Thailand. It is estimated that 456,620 tourists (75%) intended to use the medical care services in Thailand, while the other 25% or around 152,207 tourists use the medical care services due to their immediate illness or accidents during their travel

Your initial statistic of 3mn TOURISTS visiting for medical tourism is also completely flawed. There are an awful lot of expats living or retired here who don't count as TOURISTS but are counted as foreign visitors by the hospitals.

http://www.tourismin...emid=24〈=en

And I am also very glad to see that Thailand will continue to promote its "spas" industry because the "perception" of that is clean as a whistle.

http://thailand-business-news.com/health/35933-thailand-cashes-in-on-its-world-class-health-provider-status#.T3PTNWHxorU

Edited by Thai at Heart

Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome

Isn't one of their bunch the mayor of Pattaya. I think this is definitely a case of barking up the wrong tree. They probably appreciate the advertising.

Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome

Isn't one of their bunch the mayor of Pattaya. I think this is definitely a case of barking up the wrong tree. They probably appreciate the advertising.

Yep. And we all know who the head of the family is too.

Then again lots of Thai girls don't like having sex for the same reason they don't like wearing crash helmets.... it messes up their hair!

Once again, this is NOT unique to Thai ladies. I would be a rich man if I got a dollar for every time I heard, "Now don't you get that stuff in my weave!!"

Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps I am. I am always willing to learn new things. If I gave you 1000 baht and told you to find a woman for sex but it had to be in a mall and in the day time. What country would you choose? And what city?

If you gave me the 1000 baht that would make me the prostitute! unsure.png

Then again lots of Thai girls don't like having sex for the same reason they don't like wearing crash helmets.... it messes up their hair!

Once again, this is NOT unique to Thai ladies. I would be a rich man if I got a dollar for every time I heard, "Now don't you get that stuff in my weave!!"

Or ladies in general ...

post-37101-0-47024000-1333023673_thumb.j

Maybe I am wrong. Perhaps I am. I am always willing to learn new things. If I gave you 1000 baht and told you to find a woman for sex but it had to be in a mall and in the day time. What country would you choose? And what city?

If you gave me the 1000 baht that would make me the prostitute! unsure.png

Ya, cause I never pay beforehand.

18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

WPFflags.gif

There is no Prostitution in Thailand, how preposterous!!!!!!!! Especially in a country like thailand that prides itself on Buddhism being it's national religion. Lets see, what are the 5 basic precepts...1. No Killing or harming anyone. 2. No Stealing. 3. No lying for or coning people for personal gain,

4. No alcohol, and S-x outside the cultural norms of society. Prostitution! No Way!giggle.giflicklips.gifspamsign.gif

• Like 1

18) Not to discuss the specifics of prostitution.Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgment of that fact is not forbidden. However ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

WPFflags.gif

trainee mod?

• Like 1

Two issues here

So your point is everyone is the same? America, Western Europe, Australia (I think you forgot a number of other developed countries [singapore, Monaco, Japan]) are all the exact same as Thailand. They all have prostitution, so they're the same? And the exact nature and level of prostitution is the same as well? I assume the legal standards are similar...as are the enforcement standards? Would you like some property on the moon? I sell all kinds of deeds to unique, revisionist concepts of property! I promise you will satisfied with your investment when you look at yourself in the mirror because everything is just the same level of quality, including your investments...

No - I didn't say everyone is the same. Read the comments again.

Monaco is in Western Europe.

Good luck with your selling career. Commission only?