Racism Against Farangs

aneliane

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the dog issue, I see many dogs which are suffering through neglect, starvation, disease, mange, and in some cases untreated wounds. The kindest course of action is to put them down.

If anyone is particularly interested in dog welfare there are Thai groups that go out and rescue and spay the animals, go help them or go fund them.

We need to understand that the live and let live attitude that the Thais have is ingrained through their teachings, I was privy to a situation last year where a constrictor took out two of my gf's chickens at the same time. She was screaming blue murder, her Uncle was ready to split the snake in two, and her mother stopped him saying it was nature's work.

As for me, I was hiding below the bed, I don't like snakes. drunk.gif

Actually that is quite unusual. Most Thais would have killed the snake, and if you are out in the sticks, cooked and eaten it too. Thais for the most part will not kill stray dogs, but they won't think twice about topping a snake.

I was going to say that in my post, my gf told me a story of one day she was in the yard brushing her dog when a cobra rose behind her, the dog went for the cobra and they had a face off, meanwhile she was waking the dead with her screaming.

She ran to get her neighbours and they came out armed to the teeth, by the time she came back expecting to see a dead dog the snake had disappeared and the dog had a bushy tail, being proud of itself.

She said the neighbours would have killed the snake, they can't be having cobras hanging around where kids play obviously. I was in Africa when I was a young boy, Sierra Leone, West Africa, constrictors were a regular part of life, and my garden had to be checked before I was allowed out to play. I'm not terrified of snakes, I can handle them, but I don't like them. I've seen them cast out and bite too often, luckily though the one's I have seen bite are constrictors, I've never witnessed a venomous snake attack.

Bizarrely though, I would love to see a King Cobra in the wild, I was highly amused reading a post about one of our TV members going out cycling and being chased by packs of dogs and a p*ssed off cobra. He mentioned that he wasn't too keen on being chased by the cobra, who could blame him.

Drive me to drink that would drunk.gif

Edited by theblether

(posted under the influence btw.

I like that line.......I wish someone would invent a breathalyser App so that we can't access our laptops when under the influence. It seems so right at the time and so wrong the next morning drunk.gif

Two good quotes ...

The breathalyser App could be extended to the company we associate with (and wake up next to) after a few bevvies ... or wee drams in your case.

BTW ... I thought you had sworn off this tread ... dry.png

Edited by David48

Wow I come back after a day and the thread is about snakes ? lol

Must have missed something smile.png

Some of you who have retired so called "gracefully", telling me I was a lunatic, are still here I see ...

It's got a lot of posters for a "loney" topic

Edited by aneliane

Wow I come back after a day and the thread is about snakes ? lol

Must have missed something smile.png

Some of you who have retired so called "gracefully", telling me I was a lunatic, are still here I see ...

It's got a lot of posters for a "loney" topic

Morning Analainelicklips.gif

I experience their racism daily, and just accept it. I cannot change them.

A good example was yesterday at a small Tesco. I had a small basket full of stuff. I put the basket down on the counter and waited for the cashier to finish with the other customer.

She finished with that person, looked at me and refused to empty the basket.

Now, anywhere else in the world, the cashier empties the basket for you. Not at this Tesco! She said in broken English "you, empty basket". I told her in Thai "poo ying mai bpen, law?"

I then picked up the basket, as high as I could, tipped it over and let all fall wherever it may.

My small contribution to her un-professionalism. I slept well that night. But I am sure the Thai apologists will behead me. lol

A good example was yesterday at a small Tesco. I had a small basket full of stuff. I put the basket down on the counter and waited for the cashier to finish with the other customer.

Now, anywhere else in the world, the cashier empties the basket for you. Not at this Tesco! She said in broken English "you, empty basket". I told her in Thai "poo ying mai bpen, law?"

I then picked up the basket, as high as I could, tipped it over and let all fall wherever it may.

My small contribution to her un-professionalism. I slept well that night. But I am sure the Thai apologists will behead me. lol

This is a VERY good example of how farangs are barking-up-the-wrong-tree when it comes to declaring "racism." (the dog comment is to remain consistent with the soi dog references on this thread).

To wit:

Farang behaves in an uncouth manner towards random Thai.

Random Thai responds in a predictable manner.

Farang cries "racism!"

On a relevant note, is it really that difficult to empty your basket for the cashier? I do it all the time. So do most people that I observe. There are exceptions, of course, but that's just laziness.

Are you describing a dream?...

Thank you for having the courage to speak out, be ready to be called all the names of the world here.

Having said that, I don't think I ever dare to do that, but that felt good reading it.

Thanks for sharing

jap.gif

Thank you for having the courage to speak out, be ready to be called all the names of the world here.

Having said that, I don't think I ever dare to do that, but that felt good reading it.

Thanks for sharing

jap.gif

Incredible. I wouldn't call incessant whining/whinging "courageous."

This is a VERY good example of how farangs are barking-up-the-wrong-tree when it comes to declaring "racism." (the dog comment is to remain consistent with the soi dog references on this thread).

To wit:

Farang behaves in an uncouth manner towards random Thai.

Random Thai responds in a predictable manner.

Farang cries "racism!"

On a relevant note, is it really that difficult to empty your basket for the cashier? I do it all the time. So do most people that I observe. There are exceptions, of course, but that's just laziness.

It depends on where the stack of empty baskets is.

If the stack is at the entry to the conveyor, then the obvious thing is to empty one's basket, sort according to the order that you hope stuff will be packed, etc.

If the stack is at the exit from the conveyor, or behind the cashier's desk, then I often leave the goods neatly contained in the basket and thus demarcated as mine,

After experience of driving with idiots, I have rarely behaved more courteously and pleasantly after sharing a road with an idiot, and I realised that people learn from example better than by contrary example. So I have tried to give up using childish foolishness to teach others how to behave.

SC

Now, anywhere else in the world ... not everywhere in the world and not where I live.

Would you expect the checkout operator to remove your shopping items form your shopping trolley?

Why would a basket be any different.

As for the be-heading ... I'm sure others will.

Did you happen to notice (because there are normally long queues before you get served,) that they also were asked to self-empty their baskets?

EDIT

SC, agree also with what you wrote, but we posted at the same time.

Thanks for sharing

jap.gif

Just read the above quote of yours ... before I felt some sadness for you.

Now I think that you come close to being a sanctimonious fool.

Good night and good luck ...

Edited by David48

I really don't understand why it is so hard to admit that they are racists people in this country.

Racism is a fact of life, why would be Thailand the exception ?

Every country has racists people.

Why is it so bad to say that Thailand has racists too ?

Really I *don't get* you ...

Edited by aneliane

Somtamnication - to spare yourself further ridicule I suggest you admit your story was not true (or based on a dream not real-life)...

If you plan on re-using your story in another context (maybe at the next hard-done-by-looney-farrang-expat convention) I recommend the following amendments to make it more believable...

...you should say it happened in a small Mom&Pop shop not in a huge (British) multi-national chain store where staff have to adhere by strict rules; maybe also say a couple of locals who were sat outside gave you an evil look as you entered (to help set the scene)...

... you should say that the cashier said "you do" and pointed at the basket as "empty" or "basket" are both quite obscure vocabulary that would only be known by someone who had made some effort to learn English, which doesn't fit with your attempt to paint this character in your story as a racist...

... also, add an ending to your story; your last sentence before your concluding narrative ("I then picked up the basket, as high as I could, tipped it over and let all fall wherever it may.") sounds more like the beginning of the story than the end... it is somehow hard to believe that your cashier character who was you had said was so racist not to empty your basket would do nothing after your destroyed a basket full of goods that you hadn't paid for and I would assume made quite a mess...

.... or better still just admit you were lying and never repeat this silly story again

Glad the topic got wound up. It was starting to die. lol

The good thing about here is when you're a victim of racism, you get it twice: first time by the racists and the second time by expats in denial.

Oh goodie smile.png

Edited by aneliane

I really don't understand why it is so hard to admit that they are racists people in this country.

I personally don't deny that they are racist people in Thailand.

The examples of "racism" that yourself and others have given are not racism. Misunderstanding, stupidity, paranoia yes. Racism, no.

• Like 1

OP sounds like you do not know enough Thai to get along comfortably living a cheap life style which as you mentioned has you rubbing shoulders with "poorer, less educated thais". they are probably not racist as much as it is a pain for them to service you due to the language barrier. their requests that you upgrade to a taxi or private hospital is likely expressed this way. they might even think they are doing you a favor, that you are just a lost farang.

The examples of "racism" that yourself and others have given are not racism. Misunderstanding, stupidity, paranoia yes. Racism, no.

Yeah! more names to add to my looooong list ! yuppy!

So far I am :

Looney,

lonely,

not chic,

hot,

smelling of soi dogs,

-a man (yes someone called me a "he") -

and sanctimonious,

so I can add "stupid" and "paranoiac",

Stupid/paranoiac/sanctimonious etc ..questions :

1/What are you still doing on my Stupid/paranoiac/sanctimonious etc post ?

2/ How comes none of the "whiteys" racism experiences are valid ?

3/ Do you only believe in racism against black people ?

Edited by aneliane

Yeah! more names to add to my looooong list ! yuppy!

So far I am :

Looney,

lonely,

not chic,

hot,

smelling of soi dogs,

-a man (yes someone called me a "he") -

and sanctimonious,

so I can add "stupid" and "paranoiac",

Stupid/paranoiac/sanctimonious etc ..questions :

Just to clarify, English isn't your first language, correct? Because you seem to lack comprehension of my (and many others) posts.

Tis a forum.

I have no idea what colour people's skin is. Again, tis a forum.

No.

"poo ying mai bpen, law?"

I'm still figuring out what this is supposed to have meant....

He wanted to show that he can speak Thai, and he succeeded in showing ignorance and bad manners :)

• Like 1

"poo ying mai bpen, law?"

I'm still figuring out what this is supposed to have meant....

He wanted to show that he can speak Thai, and he succeeded in showing ignorance and bad manners smile.png

I am surprised that this topic is still running. violin.gif

Racism in Thailand?