A Good Curry In Central/North Pty?

JSixpack

OK, getting the mood for a decent curry but not in Jomtien or Threpprasit. Talking Brit style or Indian. Last I tried some years ago was Neeroy's on Soi Chaiyapoon, not very good at all. Thinking about the Queen Vic on Soi 6. Anybody found a tasty curry dish around central or north PTY lately?

There is an Indian place with a very good menu to the left of Cherry's on 3rd road. I haven't eaten there yet but they got a convincingly good writeup in the local so called press. Moderate prices. A place I have tried which I like well enough is also on 3rd road. From Cherry's cross the street and go north a bit and there it is. I had some huge and tasty veg samosas and a spicy chicken balti large portion of chicken on the bone but not served in a balti pot. The waiter was trying to push the chicken tikka masala, British enough for you? Also moderate prices. I reckon the place near Cherry's might be more refined. Good luck.

(Its not hard to beat Neeroys and I'm certain these two places will at least meet that standard, ha ha.)

Oh, here is the review I was talking about for the place next to Cherrys:

http://www.pattayama.../baadshah-10903

Edited by Jingthing

I will probably get flamed for this but I am still yet to find a good UK (Northern Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi) style curry in Pattaya. The place in the review is just the old place with new wrapping. Their idea of spicy is just to add more chilli, most of the owners in Pattaya are Sikh and how many of those run good curry houses in the UK?

I will probably get flamed for this but I am still yet to find a good UK (Northern Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi) style curry in Pattaya. The place in the review is just the old place with new wrapping. Their idea of spicy is just to add more chilli, most of the owners in Pattaya are Sikh and how many of those run good curry houses in the UK?

Most of the curry houses in UK are thought to be Bangladeshi, anyway

No opinion. I prefer Indian food. Could care less about the UK style kerfuffle.

Shows your ignorance then as UK Style (Northern Indian/Bangladeshi and Pakistani) are world award wining curries, and the recipes are now exported to India along with the curry pastes.

Edited by RabC

Shows your ignorance then as UK Style (Northern Indian/Bangladeshi and Pakistani) are world award wining curries.

BS! I have had great Northern Indian food outside the UK. Also great Bangladeshi and Pakistani food OUTSIDE the UK. This UK style thing is a FETISH.

You lot do not own those cuisines. The colonies are gone. Move on.

That said, Pattaya is no mecca for good food from those regions.

I said outside the UK, not so much in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

Shows your ignorance then as UK Style (Northern Indian/Bangladeshi and Pakistani) are world award wining curries.

BS! I have had great Northern Indian food outside the UK. Also great Bangladeshi and Pakistani food OUTSIDE the UK. This UK style thing is a FETISH.

And you are not the b all and end all of foodies. NEXT Re read my post I am saying Northern Indian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani curries are good, they are the norm in the UK.

Edited by RabC

Bottom line, as we're in Pattaya, we made do with what we've got here. Personally, I don't eat nearly as much Indian (etc.) type food here because it is not as good as I've experienced other places I've lived, and also the value proposition is poor compared to other options here. Yes I do miss eating this style of food more often, but those are the breaks. Same problem with Mexican here, but actually even more severe.

I often have what I think is good curry at the Indian restaurants in the States, when I return. A tikka masala at one is about the same as in another, to my taste anyway. Also, it's priced fairly, though never cheap.

But I can't recall having any in Thailand I thought was as good.

Thanks for the replies. I will try one or more of these suggestions, probably starting this weekend.

Edited by JSixpack

Nice back pedal and edit of the earlier post JT.

That's disgusting. I have no idea what you're talking about. I edit the majority of my posts with no apologies. It's a writing thing. Nothing malicious or sneaky about it.

I see you're passionate about this UK curry fetish, but you have gone too far now.

Edited by Jingthing

I often have what I think is good curry at the Indian restaurants in the States, when I return. A tikka masala at one is about the same as in another, to my taste anyway. Also, it's priced fairly, though never cheap.

But I can't recall having any in Thailand I thought was as good.

Thanks for the replies. I will try one or more of these suggestions, probably starting this weekend.

Chicken tikka masala isn't the cult dish in the U.S. that it is in Britain.

That's disgusting. I have no idea what you're talking about. I edit the majority of my posts with no apologies. It's a writing thing. Nothing malicious or sneaky about it.

I see you're passionate about this UK curry fetish, but you have gone too far now.

The whole reason I posted in the first place is the OP actually asked about Brit curries, I have kept my nose and thoughts out of all your threads on the other curry houses in town as they are not my thing. I would sooner ask a Jew or Moslem about a good pork sausage as an American about a good Brit Style curry.

The whole reason I posted in the first place is the OP actually asked about Brit curries, I have kept my nose and thoughts out of all your threads on the other curry houses in town as they are not my thing. I would sooner ask a Jew or Moslem about a good pork sausage as an American about a good Brit Style curry.

The OP actually asked about Indian OR UK style. I agree Americans wouldn't be a good source of info about UK style curries unless they lived in the UK and ate that food a lot. But plenty of Americans are very experienced with Northern Indian, Pakistani, other Indian styles, and Bangladeshi much less likely to know. We also have large immigrant populations from those countries, especially India.

I get it that good "UK style" is something you love and feel you can't get here. I totally believe that. I also get that appreciation of "curries" is a mainstream British thing, while in the U.S. you are talking about a smaller portion of the population into that. But you are still taking many millions of people ...

A funny thing is that I think we probably totally agree that Pattaya overall sucks as city for Indian (etc.) food overall. But there are some places good enough to satisfy a craving, perhaps not for U.K. style, I'll take your word for that!

BTW, a large percentage American Jews tend to eat pork. (Only 20 percent keep Kosher and the tradition on Christmas day is to go out to a Chinese restaurant.) Don't have a cow to learn the news.

Edited by Jingthing

Now that is funny. Fair enough. smile.png

Well, I've had some Brit curries at pubs in London and Liverpool and thought they were quite tasty. The old Shenanigans, before it moved into the Avenue complex, prepared a decent curry--for a while, then it somehow went south. Then I also got disgusted w/ the bartender's mixing skills--esp. for what you pay in there--so I've never been back. Reminds me, there's Jameson's to consider.

Edited by JSixpack

There is that touristy Irish pub near Royal Garden that does a curry buffet once a week for I think 350. Anyone tried it?

BTW, if anyone one ever does find a stellar "UK style" curry place in town, please let us know. I'm sure I'd love it based on my limited experience in the UK.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Baadshah is one of the supporters of the Frugal Freddy group from PCEC and the members eat there often. I don't know if it is Brit Indian or what as I'm American but I can tell you the Brits in the club have given it 2 thumbs up and say it is the best Indian food in Pattaya.

• Like 1

Baadshah is one of the supporters of the Frugal Freddy group from PCEC and the members eat there often. I don't know if it is Brit Indian or what as I'm American but I can tell you the Brits in the club have given it 2 thumbs up and say it is the best Indian food in Pattaya.

Where abouts is that please Bob?

Where abouts is that please Bob?

It's the place I mentioned before with the good menu and review, being right next to Cherry's. I still haven't eaten there yet but plan to soon. Based on my reading of their menu, they are not trying to be a U.K. style curry house. Oh, the horror!crying.gifshock1.gif

Of course, I WILL post my impressions of the food there once I do try it. But don't worry, if you're British, you don't have to read them, or better yet, if I do love it, you'll know to avoid. Americans and Brits couldn't possibly like the same Indian restaurant. That wouldn't be cricket.

post-37101-0-80298600-1332956299_thumb.g

http://www.pattayama.../baadshah-10903

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

There is that touristy Irish pub near Royal Garden that does a curry buffet once a week for I think 350. Anyone tried it?

BTW, if anyone one ever does find a stellar "UK style" curry place in town, please let us know. I'm sure I'd love it based on my limited experience in the UK.

I was quite surprised at the quality of the indian food at Foodwave at the top of Royal Garden Plaza. I thought it was expensive for the portion size but having said that I have struggled to find decent "UK style" curry places anywhere I have travelled outside of the UK.

Shows your ignorance then as UK Style (Northern Indian/Bangladeshi and Pakistani) are world award wining curries, and the recipes are now exported to India along with the curry pastes.

Having enjoyed Indian Indian food in the Middle East and in India itself I can safetly say that I will never eat another Indian curry in England.

Having enjoyed Indian Indian food in the Middle East and in India itself I can safetly say that I will never eat another Indian curry in England.

Really? You're British? I used to go to some Indian places in the U.S. that Indian people told me they dream about eating at when they were back in India. They didn't serve U.K. style curries though ... coffee1.gif Edited by Jingthing

Really? You're British? I used to go to some Indian places in the U.S. that Indian people told me they dream about eating at when they were back in India. They didn't serve U.K. style curries though ... coffee1.gif

I think it's quite evident that he's British, judging by the dental dysfunction.

• Like 1

Now that is funny. Fair enough. smile.png

Well, I've had some Brit curries at pubs in London and Liverpool and thought they were quite tasty. The old Shenanigans, before it moved into the Avenue complex, prepared a decent curry--for a while, then it somehow went south. Then I also got disgusted w/ the bartender's mixing skills--esp. for what you pay in there--so I've never been back. Reminds me, there's Jameson's to consider.

The management and staff that were at the old underground Shennanigan's moved to Jameson's.

Flame and counter flame removed,

Please stop the bickering before someone gets sent on holiday

So much for congeniality, lol.

Let's think in terms of "both/and," not "either/or." I'd agree that the best Indian curries beat the best UK style I've had, but, what the hell, I've enjoyed both. I'm hardly the gourmand some of you are, however. I can say I definitely won't go back to Neeroy's, gag. Years ago there was Curry House on Soi Buakow; it was pretty good the one time I managed to get any service out of them. I vowed next time the only way would be to order by phone two hours in advance. But it had closed by the time I got around to it.

So far, we got Baadshah on 3rd Rd. and I'm definitely hitting it soon, thanks! I mostly eat at home, for health and financial reasons, but I got two pigouts coming: curry and the Beefeater Mexican buffet.

• Like 1

Tropical Berts does a cracking UK style curry. Pilau rice, Nan bread the works. I think Tuesdays is special day for the curry. I was very impressed. Location - 2nd Road top of Soi 6/1 opposite BKK Bank.

Tropical Berts does a cracking UK style curry. Pilau rice, Nan bread the works. I think Tuesdays is special day for the curry. I was very impressed. Location - 2nd Road top of Soi 6/1 opposite BKK Bank.

Nan bread? So do they have a tandoori oven? coffee1.gif

So they only have curry on one day, or is that just a promotion price type of thingie?

My dinning experience at Baadshaw was disappointing. I'm guessing the quality was okay ( I have not eaten much Indian food outside of India, so I don't know what expectations are in play here), but the small serving were a bit on the high side, IMHO.