Why No Radar In Thailand?

swisstouristpattaya

Don't travel far outside Pattaya do you Mr. Swiss tourist?

I know, I know, I can feel it is feeding time again, but just in case............

They do have radar in Thailand. Try any main highway north/south, try speeding and see how many times you get caught. Nakon Suwan to Bkk is a real good one!

I know, I know, I can feel it is feeding time again, but just in case............

They do have radar in Thailand. Try any main highway north/south, try speeding and see how many times you get caught. Nakon Suwan to Bkk is a real good one!

But that isn't any proof that they really have a radar,or anything else for that matter, to detect how fast you were driving,is it?

But that isn't any proof that they really have a radar,or anything else for that matter, to detect how fast you were driving,is it?

They are pretty accurate when they present the figures. We normally travel at between 150-160kph, and that is what is on the tickets. What I don't understand is how they relay the data between the radar operator and the checkpoint. Probably just radio link, but they could also be linked to a controller.

ive been done for speeding 3 times in the past about 4 years ago around nakon suwan,first time i agree second time no way,but they were pulling in everyone,and officer laughed when complained come on only 200bht,and a get out of jail card if caught agian,which i was 3 hrs later and yes it worked,can only be fined once in a day,only happen in los,this is thailand love it.

if they have radar,why everybody speed,why so many dead people?

65,000,000 populace

a handful of hair dryers

used twice a month by a few police to rake in extra cash

not much of a deterrant

For "you too fast, give me 500" you don't need a radar. You just stop the next car that seems to be fast.

I saw a tweet from George today that says they will fine minibuses 5,000 baht for speeding over 90kph. Great!!.......give half of it to the police that stop the buses and the problem will evaporate overnight drunk.gif

You are new in Thailand??? Give the policeman 200 Baht and it is OK.

I saw a tweet from George today that says they will fine minibuses 5,000 baht for speeding over 90kph. Great!!.......give half of it to the police that stop the buses and the problem will evaporate overnight drunk.gif

New directives will have a quota to fill and a "commission" to the officer/station so won't get through with a 200 baht fine for sure.

They have the radar on the elevated Chonburi either coming in or heading out, so just radio the plate to the tollbooth. It would of course be easy to log ticket entry time vs exit time and calculate average speed but fortunately crossing all those jurisdictions means a lack of cooperation.

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

100bt if you speak street Thai :)

They have radar and use it selectively. Geez, get out of your rabbit hutch and see life here. Friends of mine have proper speeding tickets with photos sent to their homes or they are shown at official check points where everyone pays 500 Baht, Farang or Thai.

Sometimes .....

They have radar and use it selectively. Geez, get out of your rabbit hutch and see life here. Friends of mine have proper speeding tickets with photos sent to their homes or they are shown at official check points where everyone pays 500 Baht, Farang or Thai.

Sometimes .....

Yep, I can verify that as true. Our service manager (Thai) used to get one every 2 weeks or so. Proper ticket and photos. No other way to clear it but by going to the police station, no way to backhand out.

Police radar is alive and well in the LOS.

I got busted for driving 126 k/h in a 120 k/h zone on Highway 2. Middle of nowhere, just a cop truck over the crest of a hill. 3 more BIB waiting at the bottom of the hill. I think the ticket was for 265 baht.

I can't believe anyone would actually support having more ways to siphon money from the general public. We all speed. Back home or here, no difference. At least here, I don't have to constantly worry about cops hiding behind the bushes waiting to pounce. I suppose the only people who would encourage such a thing are those older than dirt and drive below the speed limit.