Bottle Of Aspirin

DixiePig

Dengue fever is prevalent here. If you are taking aspirin and have dengue fever, you will die (not overstatement).

Sure, dengue is here but how many people actually get it?

Dengue does not usually result in bleeding.

Where did you get the idea that taking aspirin and having dengue will result in death?

That is what killed me three lives ago.

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get the idea that taking aspirin and having dengue will result in death?

Its certainly not a good idea to take Aspirin according to WHO.

There is no specific medicine for the treatment of the disease. However proper and early treatment can relieve the symptoms and prevent complications and death. Aspirin and Brufen should be avoided in dengue fever, as it is known to increase the bleeding tendency and also it increases the stomach pain. Paracetamol can be given on medical advice. If one or more signs of DengueHaemorrhagic fever are seen, take the patient to the hospital immediately. Give fluids to drink while transferring the patient to the hospital.

http://www.searo.who...section1631.htm

Edited by uptheos

You can believe what you want but it is not an over exaggeration. People do die from taking aspirin with Dengue fever. As to the risk of Dengue it is pretty high in this area. At the school I worked at last year I had 2 students get it.

You can believe what you want but it is not an over exaggeration. People do die from taking aspirin with Dengue fever. As to the risk of Dengue it is pretty high in this area. At the school I worked at last year I had 2 students get it.

I'm not sure if you are responding to the WHO statement above or another poster.

If the WHO states; Aspirin and Brufen should be avoided in dengue fever, as it is known to increase the bleeding tendency and also it increases the stomach pain......then I for one, would certainly conclude that Aspirin if taken during Dengue, could be a high risk factor, which might help lead to a person's death for the reasons stated.

I had Dengue here in 1996.......and I'm still aching......bloody unpleasant to say the least.

Edited by uptheos

My original post was seeking suggestions on where to buy aspirin in Cm

Well, I think you got your answer.

You can't find them in bottles, but you can get as many strips of Bayer 500mg tabs as you want in almost any pharmacy for 15 Baht a strip of 10. Some pharmacies do still have enteric coated aspirin 325 mg which they will sell to you, but you have to ask and they a far and few between.

What more information would you like?

Edited by uptheos

I bought them the other day (Aspent-M) and the Pharmacist didn't say a word about not being able to buy them anymore (like he did about Actifed). They are very cheap; 25 THB for 60 X 81 mg. tablets. No need to order from the USA!

where?

I bought them the other day (Aspent-M) and the Pharmacist didn't say a word about not being able to buy them anymore (like he did about Actifed). They are very cheap; 25 THB for 60 X 81 mg. tablets. No need to order from the USA!

where?

I bought them at one of the pharmacies on Suthep across from CMU Hospital, but they sell Aspent-M almost everywhere in Thailand; both 60 and 81 mg. I've bought them before at the pharmacy in KSK near Tops, in the pharmacy in Big-C Super Highway upstairs, etc. I usually buy 3-4 bottles at a time and they last 6-8 months. Some pharmacies buy them in bulk in 5,000 tab jars and count them out for you.

Is Aleve (niproxen sodium), 220 mg tablet, available in any of the pharmacies in Chiang Mai?

Not sure about that brand, but generic Naproxen is available in pharmacies.

Just to add. If you are in KSK second floor. Go into the pharmacy next to Boots. Second little aisle on the right you will see Diclofenac 50 mg in oblong red boxes (10 for 35 Baht). I feel sure I've seen Naproxen on that shelf too at about the same price. If not they will have some somewhere in the shop. I got relief with this med, but my stomach didn't like it and I stopped. I know the possible side effects of Naproxen, so I proceeded cautiously. However, my dear old dad was on them for about 10 years before he died (89) and never had one stomach complaint.

Sorry to drag this up but I'd like to correct something and I know it's not about Aspirin.smile.png

I was in KSK about a month ago and the pharmacy I mention above was called Citrus. However, I was in KSK today and the pharmacy has closed down, it's now a dress shop or something to do with clothes.

Too bad they were OK compared to the pricier Boots next door.

Sorry to drag this up but I'd like to correct something and I know it's not about Aspirin.smile.png

I was in KSK about a month ago and the pharmacy I mention above was called Citrus. However, I was in KSK today and the pharmacy has closed down, it's now a dress shop or something to do with clothes.

That's the one I normally use. Any chance they just moved to a different location within KSK?

That's the one I normally use. Any chance they just moved to a different location within KSK?

To be honest Tywais, I didn't have time to look around. Just a few things in Boots, a couple of things in TOPS and a Caramel Almond Blizzard at DQ.... small of course. I hope they are still around as I said I always found them OK. They surely were in a bad location right next door to Boots.

Edited by uptheos

I noticed the other day that they took over the pharmacy that was next-door to 7-11 in Ruam Chok Market for many years. It is now called Citrus and appears to be a teaching facility of sorts for pharmacy students. So they must have moved on the other side of town.

Edited by elektrified

I noticed the other day that they took over the pharmacy that was next-door to 7-11 in Ruam Chok Market for many years. It is now called Citrus and appears to be a teaching facility of sorts for pharmacy students. So they must have moved on the other side of town.

Citrus are HUGE and are everywhere - tip - get there discount card and get promotional prices (they don't let you know you have to ask)

As Sheryl noted above, Aspent-M enteric coated baby aspirin (commonly prescribed for hypertension, etc.) is not being produced until the factory is up and running.

However, some out of the way pharmacy, or one that does little turnover might still have some in stock.

OP doesn't want to mess with strips, I know, but I'm posting this picture for those looking for an enteric coated 81 mg aspirin for hypertension, etc.

It's called Asatab. Price 10 B strip of 10. Pharmachoice 2, ground floor KSK near the food court area.

post-23786-0-17439700-1333945316_thumb.j

Aspent-M enteric coated baby aspirin? forgive the ignorance - are we saying this IS available here? and it's the equivalent to the 'baby 25mg Aspirin' that is recommended to the over 50s? and, in fact, is not banned here? getting confused

Aspent-M enteric coated baby aspirin? forgive the ignorance - are we saying this IS available here? and it's the equivalent to the 'baby 25mg Aspirin' that is recommended to the over 50s? and, in fact, is not banned here? getting confused

Banned...not banned...mai bpen rai - just go into a pharmacy and ask for it. They will say yes or no.

No, not banned- just out of stock. Factory was flooded; product not available until they get running again. See Sheryl's post above for clarification. It was never banned- some posters were told incorrect info or misunderstood what they were told. Banning aspirin would be like banning saline solution.

I said you might find Aspent-M in some small pharmacy (old stock) or in a place that doesn't do much business (again, old stock).

The photo I posted is of an Aspent-M bottle, and a substitute called Asatab.

They are both 81 mg enteric coated aspirin, commonly prescribed for hypertension.

(Enteric coated means coated with a slow dissolve surface; passes through the stomach and dissolves in the intestine, thus no stomach irritation for those who take it daily).

You probably already know, but be careful with taking aspirin here especially if you live near mosquito infested areas.

I often see bottles of Tylenol at most pharmachoice if you could use that instead.

Thanks, but what does aspirin have to do with mosquitoes?

No, not banned- just out of stock. Factory was flooded; product not available until they get running again. See Sheryl's post above for clarification. It was never banned- some posters were told incorrect info or misunderstood what they were told. Banning aspirin would be like banning saline solution.

I said you might find Aspent-M in some small pharmacy (old stock) or in a place that doesn't do much business (again, old stock).

The photo I posted is of an Aspent-M bottle, and a substitute called Asatab.

They are both 81 mg enteric coated aspirin, commonly prescribed for hypertension.

(Enteric coated means coated with a slow dissolve surface; passes through the stomach and dissolves in the intestine, thus no stomach irritation for those who take it daily).

I am well over 50 and when I was taking aspirin the doctor recommended 89 mg in Canada that is known as child strength. Now I no longer take it as I use Wharfon. Sorry about the spelling. It is a much stronger blood thinner.

this is good news although slightly confusing - I was in Makro pharmacy section the other day and the pharmicist definitely said baby aspirin is 'banned'

Are you sure you didn't pronounce "baby aspirin' like "pseudoephedrine"?

http://en.wikipedia....Pseudoephedrine

It is perhaps possible to the Thai ear, that is what they hear. Of course, there is a new directive banning all over the counter sales of any medication containing pseudoephedrine. It's been front page news (now page 2 or 3) for weeks in all the Thai press. Huge hospital drug trafficking scandal; PSE to Myanmar, where it is converted to yaa baa, and smuggled back to Thailand.

Maybe the confused are asking for a aspirin-combined-with-pseudoephedrine medication? As in an over the counter medication....aspirin combined with something for cold, cough, congestion? Click on the above link to Wiki to see what I'm talking about.

Perhaps we naysayers (aspirin not banned) are wrong on this issue; I will email Dr. Morgan forthwith and get to the bottom of this "banned aspirin" topic.

Hold the line, please.

OK, hot off the press, and thank you for waiting. Dr. Morgan just emailed me back.

My original email to her sent a little while ago:

"Dear Dr. Nisachon,

สวัสดีปีใหม่, Happy New Year!

I know your clinic is closed for the holiday, and that is not an issue as this is just a general question.

There is a huge debate on www.thaivisa.com right now.

Some members are insisting that aspirin, baby aspirin, as in Aspent-M 81 mg or Asatab 81 mg has been banned per a Thai government directive.

I think perhaps that they may be confused, or have been given wrong information.

I am aware of the issue with meds containing pseudoephedrine; I read the Bangkok Post every day cover to cover and know all about the hospital to Myanmar drug trafficking issue.

To your knowledge, is there any new restriction on purchase of aspirin? Just plain, simple aspirin?

Regards,

Mark"

Her reply received a few minutes ago:

"Dear Khun Mark,

Happy new year to you too. Hope all are ok with you. As far as I know, the company makes aspent and aspent M apparently hires Olic manufacturer which bases in Ayuthhaya and was flooded in December so, all over the country now has been out of aspirin until the factory can resume its normal function again. It has nothing to do with Pseudoephridine band at all.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Nisachon Morgan, MD.

Health Care Medical Clinic

275 Moo 6 T. Maehia

Chiangmai Hangdong Rd,

Muang Chiangmai 50100

053804405 0827668672

Sent from my BlackBerry® by dtac."