Buying A Phone In Chiang Mai

lexilis

Please spare me the snark but at age 56 I have never owned a mobile phone. Truthfully if you handed me one I would probably not know how to use it. That's my confession but the fact is I am moving into a new house in CM and I have decided to finally get a mobile phone and forego the land line. I am asking for some advice about how to go about it. I see phone shops everywhere and I hate these Pantip Plaza -type places. I dont speak Thai very well so I can expect little help from typical sales people in shops. I really don't know or care to know a lot of details about different type of phones and I really dont want to do a lot of technical research. I guess I would like to have the latest i-Phone (they seem so cool) but of course they are expensive and I would not know how to really utilize the thing. I guess I would like the phone I get to have a camera and be internet-capable. Beyond that I do not have a clue. I am thinking that maybe I'll get some mid-level Samsung (Android) type but I really don't have reasons to prefer Samsung other than the fact that I have owned a couple of their televisions that I liked. Questions:

1. Is Samsung/Android the way to go for a complete phone newbie?

2. Should I buy the phone first from some shop and then go into a service provider like DTAC to get a monthly service plan?

3. Should I just go into DTAC or AIS (or whatever) and say "I want a phone and a plan"?

4. Should I just shell it out for the i-Phone?

Any advice on shops to go to in CM or strategies to take regarding outfitting myself with a phone would be appreciated. Thanks.

My father in law (also 56) bought his first cellphone last week at MAKRO the brand name is Infinity and it works alright.

Has a very clear and big keyboard to it. No complicated menu or features that nobody ever uses,....

Just under a 1000THB and it does all what you expect from a phone,... it rings when someone calls you and you can call other people.

If you never owned a cell before I would recommend to go for something like this.

Unless you are already computer literate of course.

Then you could go for android or iPhone if you want to use e-mail on the run, play with apps, chat on MSN while you're in a restaurant, take bad quality pictures or post everything you do on Facebook at any given time,..... and if you have tiny little fingers the size of a ballpoint,.... you can buy a Blackberry and actually use it.

Bottomline is, if you're not familiar with all the above and just want a phone. Buy a simple one under a 1000Baht and save yourself a lot of frustrations.

If you do go for the Samsung, Android, iPhone,.... best to buy it at a provider/store direct together with a plan.

In that case you are sure it's a legal and genuine model, you get the factory warranty & the service inclusive.

I'm a happy AIS customer,... if you choose for this provider, they have the main office on Thapae road, one street down from the Night Bazaar on the corner. But do shop around.

Edited by KhunVee
  • Like 2

As the previous poster pointed out, iPhones and other smartphones are only worthwhile if you are computer literate as they are hardly phones but rather small computers. If you are comfortable with computers and don't mind a learning curve, go for the smartphone. If you are not so computer profficient, consider a basic, under 1k baht standard mobile phone to start.

For a regular phone i strongly recommend the Nokia C2-01 for about 2700 baht.

Its small and light, internet capable, has a great camera that takes still photos and videos and is one of the best sounding phones to play music through. I sold my digital camera after getting this phone, but it does not have a flash.

Kad suan kaew shopping center, take the KFC entrance underneath and go to the first Nokia shop on your right.

For airtime, walk further down to the second food court past the escalators and there is a shop that sells numbers that are easily remembered, other shops will sell numbers of this type for 4 times as much. Here it is just 40 baht...its on the corner right by the food court. (not the food court by TOPS)

Then you just get them to fill it with credits, whenever you run out of credit just go to 7-11 to fill it up, or if you have a Kasikornbank ATM account, you can fill it up at the ATM machine. I have their internet banking and fill mine up online.

iphone ios is very user friendly, i would say go for this option. internet browsing is smooth, games, very nice camera, perfect near magazine quality screen. if you do not wish to spend so much, you get always get the older iphone 4 instead. a slightly slower processor and camera but a cleaner screen imo.

of course you could go for the samsung android route, but android os are more complicated but more flexible. huge library of applications and games but that is including the junk ones as well. if you get a cheap and older os one, probably have some bugs and so one

I am not really computer literate but I do have a little bit of knowledge.

I am looking for a phone that I can also act as an answering machine with a recorded message and has call forwarding on it also.

My question is similar to the OP where can I get one that has a English speaking sales person to explain these options. I don't care if it is Pantip the Airport, Siam or Central I just want a salesperson who I can understand.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Lexilis,

I think the most solid advice you've received here is in the post from Khun KRS1, and I hope to see more posts on this thread that mention specific shops where people had experienced either/or/and great prices and helpful staff who could communicate at whatever your level of Thai, and English, required ... is.

Buying second-hand (as in Kad Suan Kaew third floor shops) is a real money-saver, but, caution: the beautiful older high-end Moto Razor I bought there for 1200 baht: completely died in two months: no warranty, and no phone repair shop I've visited (of many), will touch: too old, they say, parts not available.

I am extremely computer literate, and the last thing I want is an internet capable phone; I don't even want a camera in my phone. A cheaper phone with camera, but without internet, means you have to transfer the picture files somehow to get them sent in e-mail, although DTAC has a strange feature, that sends me, via sms, a link to a website page where I can get to a picture I send on my current non-internet-capable phone.

I am sure most modern mobiles have an easy way to connect via USB to computers to get access to your pictures taken.

But, internet access via mobile is going to cost you plenty here in Amazing T.

good luck, ~o:37;

I am not really computer literate but I do have a little bit of knowledge.

I am looking for a phone that I can also act as an answering machine with a recorded message and has call forwarding on it also.

Both of those are services that your phone network provider provides (AIS, DTAC or True) This means that any phone will do that, even a 10 year old one. And it means it will work when your phone is off.

My question is similar to the OP where can I get one that has a English speaking sales person to explain these options. I don't care if it is Pantip the Airport, Siam or Central I just want a salesperson who I can understand.

I would try the AIS service center on Kamphaeng Din Road (corner with Thapae Road) in that case. They have some people who speak English, and also sell phones. (More limited selection of course, and may not be the rock bottom cheapest). But it's probably a good place to start as they will be able to explain the answering machine function (called voicemail) and call forwarding. And they'll be able to explain their plans and options. (Which are complex.)

But it's the only place where you can walk in and then leave again with a suitable plan and a phone.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Thanks to all who provided some info on this topic. Looks like there are two main options:

1. Option 1: Buy a phone. Then buy a number. Then "fill up" the phone with credits at places like 7-11. That way, I guess, you would never actually have an account with DTAC or AIS or someone like that. Would that mean if I subsequently did get an account with, say, DTAC, that I would have to change the number and lose the first one? (BTW. what and where is "kad suan kaew"?)

2. Option 2: Go into DTAC or AIS office and get phone, number, and monthly package all at once. I presume you would have to sign a 1-year contract. Right?

Which is best? If Option 2, then DTAC or AIS?

Thanks again for any help for a phone newbie.

I would go for option 1 first. That way you'll be able to monitor your usage first and then, if you want to transfer to a monthly paid service, you can compare your usage stats with the price they offer to see if it is worthwhile. Likely, if you go into DTAC or AIS and say you know nothing, they will try to hit you up with a 1 year monthly paid contract.

With AIS service staff, your mileage may vary. Last time I was there, I walked out vowing never to set foot there again. The salesgirl had learned an entire script by heart that she repeated back at me at machine gun-fire speed... with a strong accent to boot. I asked her to speak Thai and a little slower, and she proceeded to give a similar rapid-fire spiel that was impossible to follow (including for my Thai wife). I do trust Winnie's judgement though so I am thinking I may have just been unlucky that time.

If you arent a gossiping teenage talk machine conversing at all hours of the night, you probably dont need an actual account written in stone to take advantage of the promotions.

However if you are , it would be wise to get a number from the same mobile phone carrier as the person you speak frequently with, calls on the same carrier usually have special promotions on offer. But it would really only be advantageous if you speak for hours at a time per day. Although messaging nowadays can get out of hand and add up, i usually spend more on SMS texting every month than actually speaking live, because my friends wont stop texting. smile.png

I know that with DTAC if you switch from a pre paid to a post paid account, you can transfer the number and it will remain the same.

When i call the US on a prepaid DTAC number 100 baht usually gives me around 15-20 minutes. There are calling cards you can get that will dramatically reduce the calling cost to other countries.

I like DTAC, AIS always finds a way to try and rip me off. TRUE is also another viable option. I just usually stick 200 baht in my prepaid account and forget about it until i run out, you'll get notification when you are at about a 20 baht balance, you'll still be able to receive calls though. With DTAC you can place 1 emergency call if you are out of credits.

If you will also use the phone for the Internet, Internet time can either be deducted from your 'phone credits' ...or... 'internet credits' . You can get both, but only need one to make calls and access the internet (at a higher cost for internet). The internet credits are good if you use the net heavily with your phone. My internet credit package is 399 baht for unlimited monthly usage just for the net. - it is totally seperate from phone credits.

If you use a USB aircard to access the net from a home computer, you would remove the SIM card from your phone and put it into your aircard, or just get two numbers.

Kad Suan Kaew is a shopping mall located on Huay Kaew road at the northwest corner of the moat

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

Buy a phone from any Macro, Big C or Tesco for about 500bht, Samsung or any big brand name (not infinity or other no-name)

Buy a DTAC PAYG SIM from any DTAC store for about 59bht

Add credit to the phone number at any DTAC store, 7-11, Tesco, ATM, etc.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Many thanks for the inputs from all. I think I will try the pre-paid option first, maybe with DTAC as KRS1 said. Makes sense. This is actually a big deal for me. I am the only person I know who has never had a mobile phone and I used to say that it was part of my life strategy to be the last person on earth to get one. Oh well, one more compromise in a long line of them. I will use it but I make very few calls and get very few calls. I dont really like to talk on the phone and all of my friends know this.

Still over the years I have observed how self-absorbed so many people are with their phones they don't even bother to participate in the actual physical realty that is around them. Perhaps all the new social networking media -- Facebook, Twitter, etc -- is having the effect of narrowing the focus of individuals to just their friends and personal issues 24/7 at a time when the greatest need is for more citizens to broaden their horizons and actually try to understand the desperate nature of global events. Do Facebook and I-phones and all the rest make us infants just at the time in history when we need to become more adult? Many people actively block out any news today and are utterly uniformed about huge issues facing us, but they are totally connected with others equally self-absorbed. And I'm not just talking about the young, plenty of older people have become enveloped by addictive social media as self-validation. I wonder if Narcissus were alive today, would he be staring into an I-phone instead of a mirror?

Anyway, this is hardly the place for those ruminations but thanks again for your answers.

I would go for option 1 first. That way you'll be able to monitor your usage first and then, if you want to transfer to a monthly paid service, you can compare your usage stats with the price they offer to see if it is worthwhile. Likely, if you go into DTAC or AIS and say you know nothing, they will try to hit you up with a 1 year monthly paid contract.

With AIS service staff, your mileage may vary. Last time I was there, I walked out vowing never to set foot there again. The salesgirl had learned an entire script by heart that she repeated back at me at machine gun-fire speed... with a strong accent to boot. I asked her to speak Thai and a little slower, and she proceeded to give a similar rapid-fire spiel that was impossible to follow (including for my Thai wife). I do trust Winnie's judgement though so I am thinking I may have just been unlucky that time.

I use the AIS air card for my internet. Generally speaking I have no trouble with them but once in a while I get a girl who can not really answer a question. I go in every month to pay for the exercise of walking. I have the option of going to the 7 11 across the street.

Every time I am there I look at their phones and the prices seem quite high to me and the selections almost nill. They are more interested inn selling pads.

To me, a phone is just a phone and not some device to spend playing games on or listening to music. I suggest a simple phone with big keys that you can actually SEE and touch with one fat finger. You can pick up a cel phone for under 1000 baht that will suit your needs if all you want to do is call someone or send a private message. Yes, there are cel-phones with all sorts of APPS (short for applications) that will give you music, the radio, games, calendar, calculator, etc etc, but how often are you going to use them?

I also suggest a pay as you go plan where the time you put on the phone is stretched over a long time and doesn't terminate after one week. I would stay away from any of the "plans" offered... unless you are some person who likes to spend hours chatting to someone about the usual boring subjects. I seldom speak more than 5 minutes on any one call.

... snip ... I wonder if Narcissus were alive today, would he be staring into an I-phone instead of a mirror? ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Lexilis,

Narcissus stared into a reflecting pool of water on Mount Helicon in what was then the Greek Kingdom of Boeotia (now: in Greece). Said pool created by the touch of Pegasus' hoof.

As late as the 2nd. century of the Christian calendar, the Roman traveler, Pausanias, was able to still see the tripod prize for poetry won by Hesiod, perhaps 900 or more years earlier, on Mount Helicon, which is also the home of the Muses.

Narcissus was lured to the "fatal attraction" of gazing into the pond by Nemesis who also created FaceBook, using a doppelganger reincarnation known by the pseudonym Mark Zuckerberg. The esoteric meaning of "Zuckerberg" is not as obvious as the blatant combination of the root name "Zucker:"

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Zucker

referring to sugar, or the occupation of confectioner, and "berg" which, of course, means "mountain."

I am allowed to only give you a clue to the esoteric meaning: consider the name of the escape craft in the first version of the movie "Alien:" it is: "Narcissus."

Humanity's evolution, from our violent primate roots, has been set back a millennium by the fiendish soul-harvesting, on a planet-wide scale, of FaceBook.

best, ~o:37;

Prior to Facebook, the internet and mobile phones just how easy would it be to have friends spread across the planet? How easy would it be for me sitting in the UK to know what my friends in Thailand are doing?