The New Dukes On The River

jarhead50200

Ate at Duke's Riverside once and never again. One of the worst meals I've eaten in Thailand. Soggy, limp, oil-soaked chips, Caesar salad sans anchovies, and a dried out bun for the burger - except for the bottom which was swimming in juice from the unrested burger patty. Never again.

Wikipedia: 'A Caesar salad is a salad of romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper. It may be prepared tableside.'

If you wanted anchovies, maybe you should have ordered them?

/ Priceless

• Like 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ate at Duke's Riverside once and never again. One of the worst meals I've eaten in Thailand. Soggy, limp, oil-soaked chips, Caesar salad sans anchovies, and a dried out bun for the burger - except for the bottom which was swimming in juice from the unrested burger patty. Never again.

Wikipedia: 'A Caesar salad is a salad of romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and black pepper. It may be prepared tableside.'

/ Priceless

The original Caesar salad recipe did not contain pieces of anchovy; the slight anchovy flavor comes from the Worcestershire sauce (which is basically mushed up anchovies, often a shock to anchovy haters). Therefore Caesar Salad with actual anchovies minus the Worcestershire sauce is quite usual and often preferred, and here in Thailand is probably cheaper to make given the relative price of Lea & Perrin's and anchovies.

Edited by folium

/ Priceless

The original Caesar salad recipe did not contain pieces of anchovy; the slight anchovy flavor comes from the Worcestershire sauce (which is basically mushed up anchovies, often a shock to anchovy haters). Therefore Caesar Salad with actual anchovies minus the Worcestershire sauce is quite usual and often preferred, and here in Thailand is probably cheaper to make given the relative price of Lea & Perrin's and anchovies.

So, what 'Yme' is complaining about is that he got the original and not a cheaper substitute? crazy.gif

/ Priceless

/ Priceless

So, what 'Yme' is complaining about is that he got the original and not a cheaper substitute? crazy.gif

/ Priceless

Some people just love to complain about something!

• Like 1

Sounds like you`re describing my sex life.

Think I`ll also give it a miss.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Miss what your sex life.

Miss what your sex life.

Yes.

The Dukes may provide fine food, but it could not do anything to enhance my sex life and I thought; what sort of outfit is this? This is the last time I dine here.

Now, am I being unreasonable?

I never got the chance to post, the thread was closed.....close this thread rule 6 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/536779-dukes/page__fromsearch__1

Edited by likite

So some posts are deleted that dare to criticise....mmmm work that out.

I have frequented Dukes a number of times over 6 years and the service was invariable crap and got worse. Last time the owners son more or less told me to f @@@ off, having waited 20 minutes for food and only 4 people in the place. So tell me this place is worth a visit.

i started this topic and i stand behind what i say about this new restaurant and no he did not offer me a job, from some of the negative responses on here and i know everyone has an opinion and some people have actual experiences whether good or bad, but you folks that bad mouth a good restaurant like this i firmly believe if you won the mega million you would fault with that or you probably would find fault with the taj mahal or mother teresa, or maybe you are just miserable and stay in you room all day and pout and feel sorry for yourself.

Used to go to Duke's quite often. When it's busy the service is really S@#T, but when it's not that crowded, the service is acceptable and typically American Dinner style.

But am probably not going back for a while, due to UNCHANGING menu!!! Food's fine, service,s OK, but I ran out of things to eat. Had every burgers and sandwiched that have on the menu. Tried the specials.

Really do wish they have something new on the menu.

Still me and some friends are heading to the River Market on Monday night. Will keep y'all posted.

I have frequented Dukes a number of times over 6 years and the service was invariable crap and got worse. Last time the owners son more or less told me to f @@@ off, having waited 20 minutes for food and only 4 people in the place. So tell me this place is worth a visit.

I had lunch at Dukes today and I will say the wait was a bit short as my burger arrived shortly after I had spread my paper out thinking I would have a few min. to read a few stories. The tea arrived within seconds of ordering. The only thing I can complain about is the apple pie my god you could feed 3 or 4 people with that thing its just too big for lunch. I have talked to Dave several times and he is always very friendly and helpful.

i started this topic and i stand behind what i say about this new restaurant and no he did not offer me a job, from some of the negative responses on here and i know everyone has an opinion and some people have actual experiences whether good or bad, but you folks that bad mouth a good restaurant like this i firmly believe if you won the mega million you would fault with that or you probably would find fault with the taj mahal or mother teresa, or maybe you are just miserable and stay in you room all day and pout and feel sorry for yourself.

All joking aside, I have visited the Dukes countless times and like it.

When guests come over and visit me from abroad I always take them for a meal at old Dukeys. I like it and that’s all what matters to me, regardless what you say or anyone else has to say, negative or positive. I`m old enough and ugly enough to know what I like without the need for the advice of others.

You expressed your opinion regarding the Dukes, but why take what others say so personal? Anyone that starts a thread must be bold enough and man enough to accept that not all will agree with peoples preferences and opinions. I’m sure good old Dave at the Dukes couldn’t give a rat’s behind when some take a pop at him. He’s well above all that.

The wise man says; Walk tall, walk straight and look the world right in the eye, stick two fingers up and don`t be shy.

BTW: I couldn’t stand that mother Teresa. I thought her performance in the sound of Music was a load of crap.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I drive by it every day to work and did not know it was open yet.

I will try it but Thai and japaniose food ?

I can get Thai anywhere and Japanese really is not my thing

wish for a more Duke's like menu

That's not what they had in mind but you can order it and they will prepare it across the river and bring it over for you.

Try some of the Thai food. The mother in law eggs are almost western. And some sort of chicken wrapped in lettuce was good but admittedly it did have a tang to it.

I even ate half of one of those little crabs the throw in the salads I think it was deep fried and the wife had ordered it. It wasn't half bad.

Next time over there I am going to give the sea food menu a good look. Yet to try the fried chicken but I tasted some a month or so ago when Dave was working on it. It was great.

When there is a zillion wonderful Thai places to eat and pricing starting at 25 baht it's hard to pay the extra just for the river view.

That's not what they had in mind but you can order it and they will prepare it across the river and bring it over for you.

Try some of the Thai food. The mother in law eggs are almost western. And some sort of chicken wrapped in lettuce was good but admittedly it did have a tang to it.

I even ate half of one of those little crabs the throw in the salads I think it was deep fried and the wife had ordered it. It wasn't half bad.

Next time over there I am going to give the sea food menu a good look. Yet to try the fried chicken but I tasted some a month or so ago when Dave was working on it. It was great.

When there is a zillion wonderful Thai places to eat and pricing starting at 25 baht it's hard to pay the extra just for the river view.

Even though I haven't been there yet I'm fairly confident that the Thai food served there is not comparable to 25 THB food served at stalls around town. You're not paying for a river view. I would imagine (from what I have heard) you are paying for quality seafood flown in fresh. Ever been to high-end Thai restaurants in Bangkok?

Edited by elektrified

The place is worth a visit.

Happy now.

But if I was you would not bother you are obviously not going to like it no matter how many times you visit it.passifier.gif

But it is also nice to have the choice.

The Dukes for me falls into the posh bracket and once in a while I like to spoil myself a little and eat somewhere decent.

I also like the cheap and basic places, but I wouldn`t expect to have a meal at the Dukes for 25 baht, unless Dave gone joined some famine relief organisation. That`s like comparing the Ritz restaurant in London with Tubby Isaacs jellied eels and fish and chips stall, although I could kill for a lovely plate of jellied ells and cod and chips right now. I strongly doubt that the Dukes will go under through the lack of 25 baht a throw customers or the last of the big spenders.

It is also worth taking into consideration that the choices of farangey type restaurants in Chiang Mai are limited, so the Dukes is about the best here on offer.

The answer is simple, you not likey, than get on your bikey and dine somewhere else.

Comeon fella, be realistic or is this just a wind up?

Edited by Beetlejuice

I had lunch at the new "Dukes on the River" today. It is well worth visiting and will probably end up being as popular as the original Dukes across the river from it. It is obvious David put a lot of thought and energy into this restaurant. Good on you Dave. :-)

• Like 1

I have frequented Dukes a number of times over 6 years and the service was invariable crap and got worse.

Strange. I think the service is well above average. Also the lady owner (owner's wife?) is very friendly and lovely to chat with.

With two kids we're not going out for dinner as much as we used to, but Duke's remains a very reliable choice for those times that we do. And they're very kid-friendly.

If it's anything like Dave and crew's other ventures then it's bound to be a success. Right effort, right attitude, great food, maintains standards. Never had a bad meal with them, nor has anyone else i know. They are top of the pops in Chiang Mai. Look forward to trying the new place.

I have frequented Dukes a number of times over 6 years and the service was invariable crap and got worse.

Strange. I think the service is well above average. Also the lady owner (owner's wife?) is very friendly and lovely to chat with.

With two kids we're not going out for dinner as much as we used to, but Duke's remains a very reliable choice for those times that we do. And they're very kid-friendly.

I agree. The service is well above average. Dave and his wife are very friendly and they get along great with my kid too.

Complete opposite for me and for most I'd imagine; perhaps you deserved to be treated like that or are exaggerating?

Been at least a dozen times over the years and never had anything less than a very good meal/service for the money. I couldn't say that about any other place, anywhere, for the money.

Can't see the new place not being a big hit if they keep to their MO.

• Like 1

Reporting back.

1st impression, really unexpectedly huge. Definitely western feel to the building and deco. To me, it would be perfect in Hawaii, California, or maybe Florida, heck any large touristy city in US.

Service: typical of new restaurants, still need a lot of work.

Food: Good food, nothing fantastic but good.

Problems:

a friend of mine brought a bottle of whiskey along, as we thought it's a Thai restaurant, so why not. OK here's where soem fun started. There were no drink tables, so all the bottles were on our table. There were no other type of glass, either goblet, or martini glasses, nothing to drink whiskey "on the rocks" Kinda surprising but not really damning.

Over all, would I go back, maybe to try other dishes that we didn't managed to, but not going to be a regular hangout, unlike the 'Duke's' across the river.

I went to the new River Market today. But not as a customer, on business. I went throught the Employee area and was showed around. The kitchen was spotless and one of the cleanest I have ever seen, anywhere ! I was surprised by the large size of it and the nice build quality. I was offered a meal but declined just coming from the dentist. My visit was a surprise to them so they were not preped for me and it was lunch time.

Where I would say it is a work in progress and a few more thing need to be done here and there, it's mainly trim work being done. Were some of the behind the scene workers spoke little Emgish, eveyone was helpful and quickly helped me.

I will be back to try it, and happily pay. And I suggest others try it too

Edited by onthedarkside
reformat from bold text - again ...

I went to the new River Market today. But not as a customer, on business. I went throught the Employee area and was showed around. The kitchen was spotless and one of the cleanest I have ever seen, anywhere ! I was surprised by the large size of it and the nice build quality. I was offered a meal but declined just coming from the dentist. My visit was a surprise to them so they were not preped for me and it was lunch time.

Where I would say it is a work in progress and a few more thing need to be done here and there, it's mainly trim work being done. Were some of the behind the scene workers spoke little Emgish, eveyone was helpful and quickly helped me.

I will be back to try it, and happily pay. And I suggest others try it too

Trim work? Little English? Who cares. What about the food?