The New Dukes On The River

jarhead50200

It sounds good and clean. I well have to have some dinner there soon when I get back to Chiang Mai. It sounds very impressive unlike some of the other restaurants in the area. I want to try the Salmon with my wife and kids.

Franco

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it a try the other night and was impressed. While it is more expensive than most it is also much better quality than most so if they keep the quality I don't mind keeping on paying the prices. It all tastes very fresh. For people who are apt to being bitten by mozzies just be aware that there can be a few if you sit around near the river side so either spray up or sit inside or under one of the fans.

I also visited recently. I liked it, though you probably need to order the nice stuff; I wouldn't go there to order a Phad Thai or whatever. The Hanglay curry was nice, in that it was a big piece of pork-leg still on the bone; very nice presentation that I haven't seen elsewhere. The the pomelo salad actually comes on top of a big fried Thab Thim fish, so really not expensive at 145 baht. Also had some of the BBQd King Crab, though that wasn't that special.

Overall it looks very promising, and I will definitely be back. It's especially suited to a business lunch or dinner where you have guests in town who want Thai food, but you want to take them to something that's just a little nicer. The other option for that is Le Grand Lanna at the Oriental Dhara Dhevi, but to be honest the River Market is just as good and spacious, almost as nice looking, and a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

I am going to stick my neck out here and say I went to River Market on Saturday night and was underwhelmed by the food I had. I loved the look of the place, the location etc. But I had a dish that was overcooked and the sauce tasted like it was burnt. I know, I know, tell them, send it back. But my Thai companion would not think I was jai yen if I did that and why spoil her evening.

But I have read post after post on this site saying how good it. Even Stickman came up from Bangkok and sang River Market's praises.

So armed with the idea that even a good chef can have a bad night or the sou chef stuffed it up I went back last night. And I am glad I did. The food was excellent this time and my only wish was that I was with more people so I could try more dishes.

I previously loved the ambience and I loved the location, now I love the food.

I am going to stick my neck out here and say I went to River Market on Saturday night and was underwhelmed by the food I had. I loved the look of the place, the location etc. But I had a dish that was overcooked and the sauce tasted like it was burnt. I know, I know, tell them, send it back. But my Thai companion would not think I was jai yen if I did that and why spoil her evening.

But I have read post after post on this site saying how good it. Even Stickman came up from Bangkok and sang River Market's praises.

So armed with the idea that even a good chef can have a bad night or the sou chef stuffed it up I went back last night. And I am glad I did. The food was excellent this time and my only wish was that I was with more people so I could try more dishes.

I previously loved the ambience and I loved the location, now I love the food.

Yes it is a shame you could not send the food back. Dave appreciates honest criticism and is always looking to improve on the food.

It sounds good and clean. I well have to have some dinner there soon when I get back to Chiang Mai. It sounds very impressive unlike some of the other restaurants in the area. I want to try the Salmon with my wife and kids.

Franco

I did go there with the family and loved it!!! Nothing like Dukes burgers thankfully.