Nepal

oopapasan

:D  :D When I used to make visa runs I went to Nepal trekking twice a year.I stopped when all the trouble started.I sure miss it.Anybody been trekking in Nepal lately?Thinking of going in April. :o  :D  :D

It's still not safe outside the main cities due to rebel troubles.

Curiously enough, as a foreigner, you'll probably be safe as they rebels have promised to leave the tourists alone. However, you'll find a lot of fear with the locals who don't like to leave their safe areas - this includes tour guides.

Personally speaking, I'd give it a miss for another year or so.

I got back last month from Trekking in the Anapurna. Everything around Pokkara is ok, although there is heavy military presence everywhere around the city, and atleast 20 checkpoints between Pokkara and Kathmandu. You can go trekking around in the Annapurna but you must have a guide, don't go by yourself. The communist guerillas will tax you higher up in the mountains..around $100 or 7,000 NRP...The thing is that alot of youths pass themselves as Maoists when they are just thieves...There was a ceasefire last two months, it might still be in effect. I had a great time but didn't do the full Anapurna circuit...I never encountered any trouble. You might want to check with some trekking websites..do a google..situations change all the time.

I got back last month from Trekking in the Anapurna. Everything around Pokkara is ok, although there is heavy military presence everywhere around the city, and atleast 20 checkpoints between Pokkara and Kathmandu. You can go trekking around in the Annapurna but you must have a guide, don't go by yourself. The communist guerillas will tax you higher up in the mountains..around $100 or 7,000 NRP...The thing is that alot of youths pass themselves as Maoists when they are just thieves...There was a ceasefire last two months, it might still be in effect. I had a great time but didn't do the full Anapurna circuit...I never encountered any trouble. You might want to check with some trekking websites..do a google..situations change all the time.

Round Annapurna was good for dropping 10 kilos.I'll keep watching. :o