How Versatile Is Bamboo?

eyecatcher

Just been reading that Andrex a Western producer of loo rolls, will be supplying their Eco brand to shops next month, made from bamboo and other recycled fibres- claiming its the first sustainable loo roll

so its totally green...(but comes in other colours too)

surely bamboo must be one of the most versatile/useful products the world produces? how many uses did you guys find whilst lving here.?

There is a thread about the new Dukes actually River Market.

I was in there a few days ago talking to the owners son about how comfortable the chairs were but probably not as sturdy as the one's across the river.

He told me they were even more sturdy because they were made from Bamboo. I knew a fellow back in Canada who would go to Florida every year and cut a load Bamboo and make flutes out of it and sell them at fair's around the country.

As any one who has been here a while knows it makes great scaffolding on construction sites and it can also be made into a very durable hard wood floor.

Loo rolls (poo tickets) are generally made from plant fibers, why is it sustainable now that it comes from bamboo?

I think this could be why: (quote from Wikipedia)

'Bamboos are some of the fastest growing plants in the world,[2] as some species have been recorded as growing up to 100 cm (39 in) within a 24 hour period due to a unique rhizome-dependent system'

If you're out in the jungle, you can cut it up to make plates and cutlery, use fresh bamboo as a pot to boil water in, pack it full of rice to cook, make weapons to go hunting with. Great resource. Why turn it into toilet paper? Better to wash than to smear.

my steel-blue work socks are made from Bamboo. they are soft, absorbent and don't get much of a smell to them regardless how much my feet sweat.

they do take alot longer (literally days longer) than everything else to dry on the line though.

We make hut walls and floors, table tops, rope, support poles, brackets, fishing rods, rollers to move heavy objects, cook with it and on it, My office walls are done with a bamboo weave, they make a quick and easy gate, and fences too. My paintbrushes in college were bamboo, and they also make traps to catch river shrimp. But like Necronx suggested, they're most infamous function is torture, Don't forget pounding the slivers under fingernails, that always livens things up.

Oh I forgot, rafts.

Edited by canuckamuck

We make hut walls and floors, table tops, rope, support poles, brackets, fishing rods, rollers to move heavy objects, cook with it and on it, My office walls are done with a bamboo weave, they make a quick and easy gate, and fences too. My paintbrushes in college were bamboo, and they also make traps to catch river shrimp. But like Necronx suggested, they're most infamous function is torture, Don't forget pounding the slivers under fingernails, that always livens things up.

Oh I forgot, rafts.

Punji Sticks.

Cages.

Springs for stabby mantraps.

• Like 1