Former Pm Chuan Leekpai Denied Entry To Burma

george

Former PM Chuan Leekpai denied entry to Burma

Sukhothai: -- Military-ruled Burma has denied entry to a former Thai prime minister, prompting Bangkok to summon the Burmese ambassador to clarify the move, reports said this morning.

Thai Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon said he was surprised that the junta refused to allow Chuan Leekpai to visit Burma on a private trip. Mr Kantathi was in Sukhothai for a mobile cabinet meeting today.

"I have learned that (former) prime minister Chuan wanted to travel to Burma but the Burmese government has rejected his entry. I have summoned the Burmese ambassador to clarify the issue," the Foreign Minister told reporters.

The former Thai prime minister was scheduled to visit Burma on Monday but the junta on Sunday asked Chuan to postpone the trip without giving any explanation.

"As for the reason of Burma's refusal, Burma's Foreign Minister told me he had no knowledge about it but agreed to follow up," Mr Kantathi said.

"I have asked Burma to quickly respond to the matter. I expect there will be an answer today," he said.

--Bangkok Post 2005-12-20

They'll have to, Thailand is one of the few friends the Junta has left.

Its probably the only friend that the buggers still have. :o(excluding the brown nosing chinese...ba****rds)

Chuan Leekpai is a Democrat and one of the most respected ex Thai Prime Ministers ever (but was too honest) and I would doubt very much if he has much symphony for the bandits masquerading as a government/junta in Burma..

Hopefully when he gets his visa sorted out he will drop in to see the Aung san and wish her a Merry Xmas...

Got a nice photo of him on the mantlepiece when he presented k.W with her degree. :D

Update:

Thailand summons Myanmar envoy over former PM visa denial

SUKHOTHAI: -- Myanmar's ambassador to Thailand has been summoned to the Foreign Affairs Ministry in Bangkok to explain why former Thai prime minister Chuan Leekpai was denied an entry visa to Myanmar recently.

Speaking ahead a special Cabinet meeting in this northern province, Thai Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon said he had instructed the ministry to seek a clear-cut explanation from the Myanmar envoy after learning of the issue at a regional meeting in Bangladesh.

The Dhaka gathering was attended by the foreign ministers of seven South and Southeast Asian nations, including Myanmar and Thailand.

Dr. Kantathi said that his Myanmar counterpart had told him that he had not been informed about the matter, but pledged to sort it out.

The Thai foreign minister also denied that the visa denial had anything to do with politics, but did not rule out the possibility that a security issue may be involved.

“I can assure you that the former prime minister was not on Myanmar’s blacklist of persona non grata,” said Dr. Kantathi. “The Thai government will pull out all the stops to facilitate Mr. Chuan’s private visit as he is a former prime minister.”

Mr. Chuan served twice as prime minister and is now an opposition member of parliament.

--TNA 2005-12-20

When Chuan Leekpai was Prime Minister he refused to visit Burma in any official capacity, knowing how repugnant the regime was and is. No doubt this played a key role in the denial of his visa.

A very decent man, he lost the support of the middle class when he continued to support Suthep through the สปก land reform scandal of 10 years ago.