Gunman kills seven at California religious college

News_Editor

Gunman kills seven at California religious college

2012-04-03 22:42:01 GMT+7 (ICT)

OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- A gunman opened fire at a Christian college in the California city of Oakland on late Monday morning, killing seven people in the nation's deadliest school shooting in five years, police said.

The shootings began at around 10:30 a.m. local time when 43-year-old One L. Goh, a resident of Oakland, entered Oikos University near Oakland International Airport. He walked into a classroom and reportedly told students to "get in line" before opening fire at them.

Oakland Police Department spokeswoman Johnna Watson said officers received the first 9-1-1 call at 10:33 a.m. local time regarding a bleeding woman on the ground near Oikos University. The first Oakland Police patrol officer arrived at 10:36 a.m. local time and located a victim suffering from an apparent life-threatening gunshot wound amidst an extremely chaotic scene.

"Additional calls regarding multiple victims were received," Watson said, adding that officers established a perimeter around Oikos University as the gunman was believed to be still inside. Later, officers gained access to the building by breaking an exterior window to start an emergency evacuation.

"Officers extracted a total of 13 individuals, some of whom were critically injured," Watson said. "As the evacuation occurred, the preliminary investigation led to the identity of the suspect and his description. Within an hour and a half, investigators were in possession of the suspect’s name and photo."

Several hours later, Goh walked into a grocery store in nearby Alameda, approximately 5 miles (8 kilometers) from the scene, and told staff that he had just shot a number of people. He was arrested without incident by Alameda police officers, who later handed him over to the Oakland Police Department.

In total, ten people were shot at Oikos University, which is a post-secondary vocational school with strong ties to the Korean community and Korean students. "Seven of these victims succumbed to their injuries - five were pronounced at the scene, and two victims later died after transport to hospital," Watson said.

Oakland Police Chief Howard A. Jordan praised first responders for what he described as heroic actions. "Today's unprecedented tragedy was shocking and senseless," Jordan said. "Our hearts and prayers go out to the victims, their families, and their friends; I offer my deepest condolences. No words can express the gravity of these crimes and the pain caused by them."

The motive for the shooting was not immediately known, but local media reported that Goh had recently lost two family members and had debts. The 43-year-old Korean-American had dropped out of the college several months ago, although it was not clear if he had dropped out himself.

Monday's school shooting was the deadliest in the United States in five years, and the worst in California since 24-year-old Patrick Purdy walked into Cleveland Elementary School in Stockton, California in January 1989, killing five children and wounding 30 others before committing suicide.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-03

I've been back in the USA for 6 months and what I have realized is that despite the front page mass murders that pop up seemingly on a monthly basis, the number of gun crimes is minuscule compared to the number and availability of guns. Plus, these mass murders usually take place in places where gun ownership is more restricted or less part of the local culture.

gun-bboards.jpg

• Like 1

I've been back in the USA for 6 months and what I have realized is that despite the front page mass murders that pop up seemingly on a monthly basis, the number of gun crimes is minuscule compared to the number and availability of guns. Plus, these mass murders usually take place in places where gun ownership is more restricted or less part of the local culture.

gun-bboards.jpg

But would it be more minuscule if there were less guns available?

But would it be more minuscule if there were less guns available?

There would not be if those with less guns were law-abiding citizens and not the criminals.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

- The Dalai Lama

• Like 1