Street Food

Jaffy

That looks like grilled chicken (??????? kai yaang) rather than fried chicken (?????? kai thawt) to me ... but it does like good.

Nope, it's fried.

She does serve it with the classic kai yang sides of khao neow and somtam.

Now that the link is deleted, I will include just an image for purposes of discussion.

Otherwise, your post is academic! :o

khun_pen2_700_jpg.jpg

If you want to try this out, she is located along the entrance to Yok Yor Marina and Restaurant.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just the other day, I was speaking with some friends of mine who had just returned from Thailand. We discussed thai food & I was interested in finding out where my friends had eaten and what they thought of the food they sampled.

To my surprise, I learned that they, like many other tourists & farangs alike, avoid street food / vendor carts as they deem it to be unhygenic / unsafe. Of course, I was astonished at this attitude and told them that I really think they missed out!

It does seem that many visitors are unduly terrified that they will die if they eat street food!!!! This cannot be further from the truth! I have now visited Thailand no less than 6 times & lived in BKK for 1 year. During this time, sometimes for weeks on end, the only food I would eat was from food stalls.

Generally, thais are very clean & hygene is not an issue in most establishments. The advantage of eating at a food stall rather than at a restaurant is that you can see the standard of cleanliness, something you can't always do at a restaurant with a "closed" kitchen. Also, some foodstalls have amazing reputations whereby people in the know travel from far & wide to eat there! My favourite kway teow vendor near oh nut has a number of flash mercedes parked next to it that wealthy thais have travelled down in. The wealthy thais sit alongside 150b a day labourers each enjoying the tasty noodles on offer! This is a great equalizer and just goes to show that great food knows no boundaries.

In fact, the only time I have ever been sick with food poisoning in LOS was after one particular meal eaten at a 5 star hotel! Contrary to popular belief, eating street food is not going to kill you! In fact, it may well build up your resitance & help you to overcome food poisoning / stomach upset later during your trip. Of course, some people do get upset stomachs when on holiday. However, I think this is down more to; drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, fragile digestions or simply due to new kinds of bacteria not present in their host country.

By avoiding street food, I feel one is missing out not only on the tastiest, most authentic thai food but also missing out on an experience that is quintessentially Thai!

I just choose not to!

Phad Thai Goong Sod(fresh shrimp) :o

gosh now  im  hungry

SPOT ON...again.....

Wha..whee....and make it three....... :D

Ingredients

1 tablespoon cooking oil

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger

1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon cayenne

1/4 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup low-sodium chicken broth or stock

1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream

1/2 pound boiling potatoes (about 2), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 1/3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4), cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1/2 cup cashews :D

It's not surprising that the Thai's here cannot identify this recipe. It's not Thai food, it's:

CHINESE STYLE CHICKEN CURRY! (Yum!)

The two things I miss about California are good Chinese food and good Mexican food.

That looks like grilled chicken (??????? kai yaang) rather than fried chicken (?????? kai thawt) to me ... but it does like good.

Nope, it's fried.

She does serve it with the classic kai yang sides of khao neow and somtam.

Now that the link is deleted, I will include just an image for purposes of discussion.

Otherwise, your post is academic! :o

khun_pen2_700_jpg.jpg

If you want to try this out, she is located along the entrance to Yok Yor Marina and Restaurant.

What's in the photo looks nothing like any fried chicken I've ever seen in Thailand. So they fry it without dipping in batter first? If so, that's a pretty unorthodox method - how do they keep it from looking/tasting greasy?

What's in the photo looks nothing like any fried chicken I've ever seen in Thailand. So they fry it without dipping in batter first? If so, that's a pretty unorthodox method - how do they keep it from looking/tasting greasy?

Proper oil temperature is the key to non-greasy chicken. Hot oil will sear the skin, creating a crust that prevents oil from penetrating. Cooking at cooler temps will "braise" the food in oil, cooking it into the meat.

guys, if you are concerened about cleanliness. I have got a couple of really good places to recommend. It is not cheap cheap but food is amazing!

1. China Town! Please please do visit. Stalls are setting up from 8- 8.30 pm every night apart from Wed night. let me know if you fancy anything in particular so i can tell you EXACTLY where to go and what to look for. All the stall vendors are required to wear hair protectors and aprons.

2. There is a food court at the Central Chidlom - Ground floor right behind the supermarket. They have got a lovely Kao Ka Moo Stall, Kuay Teaw Stall, Som Tum Stall and many more. Lunch time is extremely busy so I would recommend to be there before 12 noon or after 1 pm.

Oh I miss Thai food!

Comment on the fried chicken - I agree with Curt. Fresh oil is the key, they can only reuse so many times.

Mona

Edited by Montanut

guys, if you are concerened about cleanliness.  I have got a couple of really good places to recommend.  It is not cheap cheap but food is amazing! 

1. China Town! Please please do visit.  Stalls are setting up from 8- 8.30 pm every night apart from Wed night.   let me know if you fancy anything in particular so i can tell you EXACTLY where to go and what to look for.  All the stall vendors are required to wear hair protectors and aprons.

I wanna know!!!!

Pls do tell...

I was advised that parts of chinatown were unsafe after dark due to the high no. of drug users & ladyboy hookers so your EXACT locations would be very handy indeed!

many thanks...

Edited by Jaffy

Preferably Before...... :D Bit of info...

cos after the chicken.......

Can it be used as a fuel for diesel engines? ...Tuk Tuks....

The answer is 'yes', but we have to be careful not to use it in the wrong way otherwise engine damage may occur.

There are two schools of thought, both of which seem to work well.

The first is to blend vegetable oil in with diesel or kerosene up to a ratio of about 20%, depending on what extra additives are used and what the ambient temperature is. The additive is used to compensate for the loss in ignition properties and to help keep the combustion cylinder parts clean. The second school of thought is to use a two tank system where the vehicle is started up on a thin, highly combustible fuel such as fossil diesel and then switched over to a second tank when the engine is nice and hot. Biodiesel is a third alternative and can be found blended with diesel at 5% in some petrol stations. Biodiesel is the scientifically approved derivitive of vegetable oil and is a relatively highly processed product which has a much lower viscosity than straight vegetable oil.

Vegetable oil works much better in older vehicles which DO NOT have lucas injection pumps. :o

I wanna know!!!!

Pls do tell...

I was advised that parts of chinatown were unsafe after dark due to the high no. of drug users & ladyboy hookers so your EXACT locations would be very handy indeed!

many thanks...

Jaffy,

Stick to the main road! (Yaowarat Road). Dont wonder into little soi (streets). just get a Tuk tuk or Taxi to Tanon Yao-wa-rat. Tt is the gold jewellery quater by day - amazing food street by night. I also attached a map of china town.

You can get reallllly good dim sum deal from the White Orchid Hotel (3* hotel) Ground Floor - right next to Watson's the Chemist. Good food - reasonable price - 5 selections (5 bamboo trays) for 150 baht and you get to choose one selection free!

Hope this help.

:o

Mona

post-25641-1136295879_thumb.jpg

Edited by Montanut

I wanna know!!!!

Pls do tell...

many thanks...

Jaffy,

Stick to the main road! (Yaowarat Road). Dont wonder into little soi (streets). just get a Tuk tuk or Taxi to Tanon Yao-wa-rat. Tt is the gold jewellery quater by day - amazing food street by night. I also attached a map of china town.

You can get reallllly good dim sum deal from the White Orchid Hotel (3* hotel) Ground Floor - right next to Watson's the Chemist. Good food - reasonable price - 5 selections (5 bamboo trays) for 150 baht and you get to choose one selection free!

Hope this help.

Mona

Thanks Mona.

Have walked along Thanon Yaorawat many times & I think I know the Watsons you are talking about. Will give the white orchid a try when i get back in feb.

I also want to try one of the seafood vendors in the area, any recommendations?

Proper oil temperature is the key to non-greasy chicken. Hot oil will sear the skin, creating a crust that prevents oil from penetrating. Cooking at cooler temps will "braise" the food in oil, cooking it into the meat.

Hmmm still not convinced. I guess there's a chance they have the only place in all of Thailand that fries chicken that way ...

Still looks more like kai yaang ... :o

Fresh oil is the key

Key to fried chicken that looks like grilled chicken, and isn't battered first? I guess there's a chance they have the only place in all of Thailand that fries chicken that way ...

But I'm betting it's grilled chicken - see photo below. Have you ever seen fried chicken with blackened parts? That's quite acceptable - even desirable - in grilled chicken, but not fried chicken.

Bdish.jpg

Sabaijai, oh thanks for the photo it looks yummy. I dont care fried or grilled - i would take it in any second!!

I swear I saw them frying chicken like that before. I am Thai, trust me :o Where my parents live near China Town they fry chicken in a big pot and it comes out like that but i agree there wasnt any blacken bits on my chicken. Yum! *drool*

Edited by Montanut

Jaffy,

seafood you have to go to the one on the corner of Soi Texas just off Yaowarat Rd - basically it is kinda on the Yaowarat road. It is on the same side of the road as The White Orchid Hotel. Starting from 8 pm you wont miss it cause it is the busiest seafood vendor. You can pick live fish/prawns/crabs and tell them how you want them cooked. Fried, grilled, or steamed. They charge per kilo so you should ask them first how much it would cost. Dont get ripped off! :o

My wife comes from three generations of market cooks. Her mother and her aunt fry chicken in a market in Sathu Pradit every day from 2am till 6am (it's the best I've ever had, by the way). She herself has owned four Thai restaurants. She took one look at the photo and without hesitation said it was grilled, not fried, chicken.

Next time I'm in the neighbourhood of Yok Yor Marina (not Yok Kor), I'll check the place and report back here.

Have you ever seen fried chicken with blackened parts?

There is some darkened areas, but the photo probably makes them appear a little darker (the somtam is a darker shade also). In any case, this was carmelization, not "char".

Yes, well seared fried food almost always has black "bits" in the pan. There is a difference between "deep fried" and simply fried. Carmelization can be desirable in grilled and fried foods too.

Visually, Khun Phen's chicken closely resembles the famous Polo chicken, but tastes a world better.

Soon I will return and get some shots of her fryin' up a batch!

Edited by Curt

Visually, Khun Phen's chicken closely resembles the famous Polo chicken, but tastes a world better.

Visually it looks nothing like Soi Polo fried chicken, which is heavily battered and fried (like most kai thawt in Thailand).

Visually it looks nothing like Soi Polo fried chicken, which is heavily battered and fried (like most kai thawt in Thailand).

I ate at Khun Phen's and followed it up, within a week, with Polo Chicken.

Visually, what what I ate at Khun Phen's would get lost on a plate of what I ate at Polo.

The difference is that I will eat often at Khun Phen's and will never go near Polo again.

But then again, it appears I must be mistaken.

I am wrong.

It is kai yang.

I just thought I would try to pass it off as kai thod.

I'm just so silly........ :o

I ate at Khun Phen's and followed it up, within a week, with Polo Chicken.

Visually, what what I ate at Khun Phen's would get lost on a plate of what I ate at Polo.

The difference is that I will eat often at Khun Phen's and will never go near Polo again.

So you're saying Soi Polo chicken isn't battered? Or that battered fried chicken and unbattered fried chicken look the same? I don't see how you could possibly think the two look even vaguely similar, unless you think all chicken just looks the same ....

But then again, it appears I must be mistaken.

The most likely option, in both cases. I'm starting to feel like I'm giving you a hard time unnecessarily. But when someone is wrong about Thai food, and tries to cover up the mistake with yet another mistake, it's difficult. :o

I'm starting to feel like I'm giving you a hard time unnecessarily......:o

I think you have stated something upon which everyone reading this thread can agree !!!!

Sabai jai khrap, Khun Sabaijai .....

Khun Phen's chicken is fried; THAT is a fact!

She has no grill, just a big pan, oil and a burner.

My first experince with Kai Thod Jay Kee, aka "Polo Chicken", was a "bring home" by my sister-in-law.

It was batterless and was refered to as kai thod.

My second experience was delivered, it was ordered as kai thod, and arrived looking very similar to what you see in the picture.

Might it be possible that Jay Kee fries chicken different ways.

They might do with and without batter.

I simply know that what I have eaten from there has had no batter.

Believe me, very soon I will be spending some time hanging with Khun Jay Kee.

I may even give her chicken one more try!

polo.jpg

My wife comes from three generations of market cooks. Her mother and her aunt fry chicken in a market in Sathu Pradit every day from 2am till 6am (it's the best I've ever had, by the way). She herself has owned four Thai restaurants. She took one look at the photo and without hesitation said it was grilled, not fried, chicken.

Next time I'm in the neighbourhood of Yok Yor Marina (not Yok Kor), I'll check the place and report back here.

Where's her stall; Dalat Rung Charoen, Dalat Saphan Sam?

Yannawa's my hood!

I would avoid Yok Kor too! (did I make a typo somewhere?)

Sabai jaiKhrap, Khun sabaijai

I'm starting to feel like I'm giving you a hard time unnecessarily......:o

I think you have stated something upon which everyone reading this thread can agree !!!!

Sabai jai khrap, Khun Sabaijai .....

Khun Phen's chicken is fried; THAT is a fact!

She has no grill, just a big pan, oil and a burner.

My first experince with Kai Thod Jay Kee, aka "Polo Chicken", was a "bring home" by my sister-in-law.

It was batterless and was refered to as kai thod.

My second experience was delivered, it was ordered as kai thod, and arrived looking very similar to what you see in the picture.

Might it be possible that Jay Kee fries chicken different ways.

They might do with and without batter.

I simply know that what I have eaten from there has had no batter.

Believe me, very soon I will be spending some time hanging with Khun Jay Kee.

I may even give her chicken one more try!

polo.jpg

Khun Curt, maybe Soi Polo chicken does come fried in two ways. I've only seen the battered version, been eating at Jay Kee (Soi Polo) semi-regularly over the last five or six years. If they offer two versions, they don't advertise it, i.e., it's not written on the menus or walls, just ไก่ทอด/kai thawt/fried chicken. But perhaps you can get unbattered on request. Did you request unbattered chicken when you ate there (or rather ordered takeway, just reread your post, realise you haven't been there)? Maybe that's why you didn't like it, as the Soi Polo standard is definitely battered, lots of it, too, hanging off in big globs!

I still think Jay Kee's chicken is quite tasty. First time I ate it was as takeaway, too, when some friends called in a huge order to their offices on Soi Lang Suan. Soon after I stopped off at Jay Kee alone, and was surprised to see what a small shop it was. Nowadays the place has expanded and added air-con, etc. By now I've ordered almost everything on the menu. I think the laap is excellent Bangkok-style laap (nothing like in Laos or Isan hinterlands, but it's a different style), the sup naw mai only so-so.

I never thought Jay Kee fried chicken was the best in Bangkok but probably the best in Patumwan, and that's how it got famous (that and Bob Halliday's reviews in the Bangkok Post). At any rate I prefer grilled chicken to fried chicken anyway.

On a slightly different subject, I've never tasted unbattered deep-fried chicken that was any good - don't see how it's possible, technically speaking. Stir-fried, braised, sauteed, yes, deep-fried how?).

I don't know the name of the stall or even the exact market name in Sathu Pradit, I've only been there once a couple years ago, but have eaten the same chicken at her home in Minburi and it's good stuff. My wife uses the same recipe at home. The family secret is rubbing a thin layer of turmeric on the chicken before dipping it in batter and deep-frying it. Just makes the meat a little more fragrant, and gives the topmost layer a little extra colour. I'll get the name of the market and stall if you want to try it. They sell out by 7-8am I think.

I have never gotten sick (so far) from eating food from street vendors and find it very convenient.

Though I admit I go heavy on the chilies and usually eat dishes so hot / spicy some find it inedible.

whether that's a factor I don't know.

The family secret is rubbing a thin layer of turmeric on the chicken before dipping it in batter and deep-frying it. Just makes the meat a little more fragrant, and gives the topmost layer a little extra colour.

Got a new stainless steel deep fat fryer for Xmas so looks like I know what I will be trying over this weekend. :o

Little bit of turmeric.....sounds good :D

Just the other day, I was speaking with some friends of mine who had just returned from Thailand. We discussed thai food & I was interested in finding out where my friends had eaten and what they thought of the food they sampled.

To my surprise, I learned that they, like many other tourists & farangs alike, avoid street food / vendor carts as they deem it to be unhygenic / unsafe. Of course, I was astonished at this attitude and told them that I really think they missed out!

It does seem that many visitors are unduly terrified that they will die if they eat street food!!!! This cannot be further from the truth! I have now visited Thailand no less than 6 times & lived in BKK for 1 year. During this time, sometimes for weeks on end, the only food I would eat was from food stalls.

Generally, thais are very clean & hygene is not an issue in most establishments. The advantage of eating at a food stall rather than at a restaurant is that you can see the standard of cleanliness, something you can't always do at a restaurant with a "closed" kitchen. Also, some foodstalls have amazing reputations whereby people in the know travel from far & wide to eat there! My favourite kway teow vendor near oh nut has a number of flash mercedes parked next to it that wealthy thais have travelled down in. The wealthy thais sit alongside 150b a day labourers each enjoying the tasty noodles on offer! This is a great equalizer and just goes to show that great food knows no boundaries.

In fact, the only time I have ever been sick with food poisoning in LOS was after one particular meal eaten at a 5 star hotel! Contrary to popular belief, eating street food is not going to kill you! In fact, it may well build up your resitance & help you to overcome food poisoning / stomach upset later during your trip. Of course, some people do get upset stomachs when on holiday. However, I think this is down more to; drinking excessive amounts of alcohol, fragile digestions or simply due to new kinds of bacteria not present in their host country.

By avoiding street food, I feel one is missing out not only on the tastiest, most authentic thai food but also missing out on an experience that is quintessentially Thai!

:D

I have spent often wondered why many people will travel half-way around the world only to go to a MacDonalds to get a Big Mac for a meal in Bangkok.

I spent a lot of time in living in a guesthouse just off Soi 38 Sukhumvit Road (now unfortunately closed). Ate a lot of meals in Soi 38. (Well known for good street food).

My Thai girlfriend had/has ulcers for a few years. Thai food with "too much" chillies irritates her ulcers and puts her into serious stomach pain. So we have learned to prefer a Thai-Chinese menu, with limited (well for Thailand) chillies input.

I've never had a serious case of "food posioning" eating at street vendors. However, I have had some serious diarrhea from "beer" I've had along with the food. Especially warm beer from the street vendors.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I can't say I've ever met anyone who has gotten food poisoning from a street vendor. I know a few who had upset tummys from the chilis :o

I have been to Thailand over 20 times and always enjoy stopping at the various street vendors. The last couple times that I brought my girlfriend, she was amazed at the number and variety of street food available 24hrs/day.

I always go to vendors that already are doing a good business. If its good enough to be busy, its good enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Get some of this down you and you will never look back.....(might kill you but wot the heck :D )

Thai Street Food Aroi Mak Mak....

8-12 Thai chillies (bird peppers), each cut into 3-4 segments

8 cloves garlic, peeled and cut each into 2-3 pieces

2 Tbs. small dried shrimp

4 cups julienned peeled unripe papaya - in strips 2-3 inches long and 1/8 inch thick

1 cup cut long beans - 1 1/2-inch-long segments

1 julienned carrot

1/4 cup tamarind juice the thickness of fruit concentrate

Juice of 2-3 limes, to taste

2-3 Tbs. fish sauce, to taste

2-3 Tbs. palm sugar, melted with 1 Tbs. water into a thick syrup - use as needed

2 small tomatoes, cut into bite-size wedges; or 12 cherry tomatoes, halved

1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts

Guess what this is....????

Som Tam with carrot!?? :o

Careful - you may have your visa revoked!

Patrick

This is Farang style.

Get some of this down you and you will never look back.....(might kill you but wot the heck :D )

Thai Street Food Aroi Mak Mak....

8-12 Thai chillies (bird peppers), each cut into 3-4 segments

8 cloves garlic, peeled and cut each into 2-3 pieces

2 Tbs. small dried shrimp

4 cups julienned peeled unripe papaya - in strips 2-3 inches long and 1/8 inch thick

1 cup cut long beans - 1 1/2-inch-long segments

1 julienned carrot

1/4 cup tamarind juice the thickness of fruit concentrate

Juice of 2-3 limes, to taste

2-3 Tbs. fish sauce, to taste

2-3 Tbs. palm sugar, melted with 1 Tbs. water into a thick syrup - use as needed

2 small tomatoes, cut into bite-size wedges; or 12 cherry tomatoes, halved

1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts

Guess what this is....????

Som Tam with carrot!?? :o

Careful - you may have your visa revoked!

Patrick

This is Farang style.

Which part? Carrot is quite common in urban somtam these days.