Tomato Sauce Is The New Staple Of Thai Food

jinjinswing

My Thai gf kills all good food with tomato sauce, in fact she eats nothing without putting some kind of sauce on everything

She loves steak and she adds tomato sauce, it annoys me when when in these chain restaurants they have a small carry basket with an array of sauces, ive told her this is not how it is back home in the land of oz, ive told her only children put tomato sauce on there frys back home...hmmm

She has asked me to cook her a steak for dinner this saturday...i havent told her i have no tomato sauce in my apartment yet....should i?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the OP, tomato sauce = catsup? Those are two different things in my cookbook.

Regardless, let her eat however she wants. Why get so hung up over how other people eat their food. My mother in law just about gets the vapors when she sees me put butter and soy sauce on white rice.

I don't get the only kids put ketchup on fries thing at all. I'd usually prefer a different sauce, but ketchup is still great on them and its easy

Don't mind if someone puts it on steak either although I don't.

But I draw the line at Italian food. It absolutely disgusts me to see people pour ketchup all over pizza. Or all over a spaghetti bolognese. I've even seen Thais pour ketchup all over a bowl of spaghetti carbonara. So gross. I don't care if someone does it I just don't want to see it while I'm eating

Food snobs = great entertainment

Keep it coming

Yeah, food is food. It's just fuel. coffee1.gifpost-37101-0-26575800-1333542291_thumb.p

Food is to fuel what Maserati is to cars. Gotta work on developing that palate a wee bit more, eh... licklips.gif

Baloney and Argentinian bife de chorizo, it all comes out the same in the end ...hit-the-fan.gif

Don't live to eat, eat to live, that's what I always say! whistling.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

My worst eating experience ever was in BKK, found a place that had Lamb Chops on the menu (i've used a capital L and C to stress how rare this was at the time)

They were grilled to perfection and then smothered in BBQ sauce....... hanging's too good for them.

ketchup is not tomato sauce; the former comes in a boddle and the latter comes in a can...redneck white trash in America usually substitute the former for the latter because they don't know how to cook and their taste buds are usually fried from smoking and drinking...much like the english 'working class'...and don't get me started on my ex-wife from Glasgow who couldn't tell the difference...in dressing gown with a fag and cup of tea: 'what are you on about?...'

and it's only been in the last couple of years that I've seen tomato sauce available at the local supermarket...it useta be unknown and 'foreign' and anything that I prepared like bolognaise or chili with beans would be scorned by the thai household...now they get frozen french fries and then go apeshit with the ketchup...

and I'm from California, goddamit where God rules the 'heavenly' local cuisine...(tutsi then douses his piano with lighter fluid and sets it ablaze...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

ketchup is not tomato sauce; the former comes in a boddle and the latter comes in a can...

Is this where I come to have an argument with an American?

tomato_sauce_masterfoods.jpg

Tomato Sauce does indeed come in bottles and children put it on their chips. It is called a sauce because, well frankly, ketchup is just a stupid word, used only by Americans (despite what some overpaid marketing geek at Heinz thinks).

What comes in cans is not a sauce but a tomato puree, by itself it cannot be put "on" anything, It is a sauce ingredient.

Edited by necronx99

ketchup is not tomato sauce; the former comes in a boddle and the latter comes in a can...

Tomato Sauce does indeed come in bottles and children put it on their chips. It is called a sauce because, well frankly, ketchup is just a stupid word, used only by Americans (despite what some overpaid marketing geek at Heinz thinks).

What comes in cans is not a sauce but a tomato puree, by itself it cannot be put "on" anything, It is a sauce ingredient.

According to wiki "ketchup" dates back to China in the 1600s

Tomato sauce is one of the 5 mother sauces in french cuisine. Sauce espagnola. Emulsion sauces, Bechamel, and Veloute are the required knowledge of all professinal cooks. Ketchup would come under sauce tomato as it's derivative. Sauce Mayonnaise would come under emulsion and so on.

This is a suprisingly good read. He has way to much time on his hands.

This is a suprisingly good read. He has way to much time on his hands.

Awesome info!licklips.gif

hahaha....thats right tomato sauce comes in plastic squeeze bottles and glass bottles in AU and i only seen in glass bottles here.

We in the land downunder, colonials they call us put Tsauce on meat pies and hot dogs and thats just about it, you got to remember that Au is a land of immigrants and middle Europeans dont kill there food with tomato saucegiggle.gif

I spied my TGF inundating her seafood pizza with the red muck just 2 weeks back, can you believe?

Now this is a girl who LOVES Mk, and other assorted chain restaurants, has a typical Thai palate of trashie inported food likes, i try and not look to see what shes spreading over her food...but she sits in front of me.

Ketchup, catsup, tomato sauce, I have seen the same product called all three of these, so I assume this is what the thread is about. Not pureed tomatoes or some kind of spaghetti sauce.

It should be no surprise to anyone that Thais have a sweet tooth and sugar goes into almost everything here. So Thais putting ketchup on a pizza seems pretty normal for them. That is what makes it closer to their own style, a little bit of sweet sauce to fix it up.

What I do find surprising is that they don't have ground chilis on the table. This is the land of chilis, but I have to make a special request to get it here. I have a real thing for spicy pizza.

Would I put ketchup on a pizza? I would rather scratch my eyes out than ruin my favorite food. But my tastes are different.

That being said however, ketchup is a very successful product and it sure works out fine with fast food. Not so well on more sophisticated items.

Edited by canuckamuck

prepared spaghetti sauce is a disgrace...if one cannot prepare a proper bolognaise to serve to their family and guests then they should be punished...

and tomato sauce is a proper sauce and not like tomato puree...and boddles are boddles whether they are glass or plastic, godammit....

and...are we to believe that australians can be authoritative on anything culinary?...I think not; they eat goddam alligator innards sliced by middle-aged hooligans in cowboy hats with large knives that they wear on their belt...the goddam indonesians make a better 'prawn barbie'...udang bakar...

oh...boo hoo...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

My ex (in the UK) loved ketchup on everything. It was pretty deflating to be honest, after i had cooked a nice meal, only to see it smothered in Ketchup. All i would request (with a smile) was to tryyyyyyyyyy the meal first before ketchup (even though i knew he would put it on in the end. I was ok with that, so was he. It showed he cared enough to TRY taste it without). ULTIMATELY i loved him, so how he wanted to eat his food was his choice.

Must say though, that i do get much more out of cooking for my partner now, because hes very particular about food and doesnt own a bottle of ketchup! biggrin.png

Edited by eek

There must be a Thai person out there that puts ketchup on truffles, right? I'm yet to understand ruining most food with ketchup, but there obviously is some logic behind it.

Edited by Heimdallr

and...are we to believe that australians can be authoritative on anything culinary?...I think not; they eat goddam alligator innards sliced by middle-aged hooligans in cowboy hats with large knives that they wear on their belt...the goddam indonesians make a better 'prawn barbie'...udang bakar...

oh...boo hoo...

Australia has crocodiles not gators you old hippie, and very tasty they are too.