Where To Buy Real Meat?

Cheesekraft

If one wants good quality meat in Thai then its possible at a price just the same as the rest of the world,Quality meats have never been cheap.you get what you pay for. We have to pay premium price for our meats for the best quality cuts and we think its worth every Thai Baht.

Ban suan pak sells what i think is organic meat, which she keeps in a freezer. Ask her, but i'd be surprised if it was grain-fed.

Also, there's a butchers on the road by the river, west side. The shop is on the side of the road by the river. Can't remember exactly where. I think that place will have grass-fed meat.

Interesting to see you had no reply to your explanation about grains!!

If one wants good quality meat in Thai then its possible at a price just the same as the rest of the world,Quality meats have never been cheap.you get what you pay for. We have to pay premium price for our meats for the best quality cuts and we think its worth every Thai Baht.

I think you are biased.

beef being grain fed destroys the health of the animal (much like grains do to people) and the grain fed beef is no longer healthy, the difference is pretty amazing . Would love to find a local grass fed source.

Grains destroy the health of people?? 4:29am - I assume you were drunk when you wrote that tripe? As far as I have always believed grains provide a number of important nutrients, including dietary fiber, B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate) and minerals (iron, magnesium and selenium). And, as part of a healthy diet, whole grains can help with cardiovascular disease, diabetes and weight management.

Do you have any verifiable, non-nutjob, sources for your claim?

beef being grain fed destroys the health of the animal (much like grains do to people) and the grain fed beef is no longer healthy, the difference is pretty amazing . Would love to find a local grass fed source.

Grains destroy the health of people?? 4:29am - I assume you were drunk when you wrote that tripe? As far as I have always believed grains provide a number of important nutrients, including dietary fiber, B vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and folate) and minerals (iron, magnesium and selenium). And, as part of a healthy diet, whole grains can help with cardiovascular disease, diabetes and weight management.

Do you have any verifiable, non-nutjob, sources for your claim?

In a 2009 study which was a joint effort between the USDA and researchers at Clemson University in South Carolina grass-fed beef was compared with grain-fed beef and researchers found that grass-fed beef is: lower in total fat, higher in beta-carotene, higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol), higher in the B-vitamins thiamin and riboflavin, higher in the minerals calcium, magnesium, and potassium, higher in total omega-3s, higher in CLA (cis-9 trans-11) which is a potential cancer fighter, higher in vaccenic acid (which can be transformed into CLA), lower in the saturated fats linked with heart disease, and has a healthier ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (1.65 vs 4.84).[54]

• Like 1

Grass fed is tough because you are eating a stronger animal. You want tender? then eat "aged" beef, meat that has begun to decompose, bah.gif that will soften it up. I like tough meat, I slice it thin or cook it for a long time. as in stew.

Grass fed is tough because you are eating a stronger animal. You want tender? then eat "aged" beef, meat that has begun to decompose, bah.gif that will soften it up. I like tough meat, I slice it thin or cook it for a long time. as in stew.

Makro have some import beef but no cheap but good quality and they have local beef ummm not so good.pay the extra and smile.

I bought some beef briskit from the local fresh market here in Hang Dong, 13 days ago. I made a brine with salt, sugar, salt peter and spices, and have been soaking it since then. Tommorow I am going to get some stems from 2 pineapples and chop them in the blender and add this to the brine and soak for 2 more days. I will post results here on this thread.

If you are going to experiment, you could separate it in three bowls: Add pineapple to one, unripe papaya to one, and kiwi fruit to one. See which one is better in terms of tenderness and taste. Just an idea.

Tender beef has to do with proper aging. Suggest you buy a thai pcs. of tenderloin and hang it in the back of your fridge for 35 days or so. This will result in a tender and surprizingly tasty steak.

Aging in large scale is a huge cost factor. That's why meat processing companies are cutting the time short.

If you want quick results, use something acidic to lower the meats ph level and soften it a little. Anything goes: vinegar, wine, mustard, buttermilk..... or pineapple.

:wacko:

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

OK -- the title of this thread is "Where to buy real meat?" As the daughter of the girl who won reserve-champion of the Ohio State Fair with her pig in 1938, I have to ask "isn't pork meat?"

They produce fabulous pork in Thailand -- better than what I've seen in many parts of the U.S.

Try a nice pork loin instead of a beef steak. I prepare pork from Tops or Tesco Lotus a couple times a week. (Sadly, the Rim Ping pork doesn't match up, but I love Rim Ping for everything else) My favorite way to cook is to sprinkle some dried rosemary and thyme on the pork loan, allow it to rest for 20 minutes and fry with a small amount of butter.

There is more to meat than beef. Pork paid my mother's college education!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Makro have some import beef but no cheap but good quality and they have local beef ummm not so good.pay the extra and smile.

Maybe you misead my post?... I prefer local beef, not aged (beginning to rot) fresh, lean, strong. I don't like the affects of pineapple or green papaya marinade, it seems to break down the surface, leaving it mushy. What many westerners are raised on and so have a taste for, is a nice thick piece of sick castrated steer, fattened on grain in a feedlot, not allowed exercise and constantly sick from the grain, fat and sick it is killed, then to make it even softer it is aged until decomp sets in. Look at the body shape of your big bloody "marbeled" steak eaters..... If your local beef is too tough use a tenderising hammer on it, slice it thin and enjoy.

I bought some beef briskit from the local fresh market here in Hang Dong, 13 days ago. I made a brine with salt, sugar, salt peter and spices, and have been soaking it since then. Tommorow I am going to get some stems from 2 pineapples and chop them in the blender and add this to the brine and soak for 2 more days. I will post results here on this thread.

I did try making corned beef from local beef. It tasted okay but had a lot less flavor than grain feed beef because it has a lot less fat. That said, people did say it was good but didn't compare to our corned beef made with grain feed beef. The fat is where most of the flavor comes from in corned beef. Lots of high end chefs actually add brisket fat to their various ground beef concoctions to amp up the flavor.

Well today I took a meat hammer to the brisket, and beat hell out of it for maybe 7 or 8 minutes.

Went back to the local market and bought 2 ripe pineapples and pureed the stems and tops with a cup of water. Strained the fibers out and just used the liquid. No sweet or bitter taste at all. This brisket does not have any fat marbling, but does have a thick layer of fat on one side. I plan on putting the meat in my smoker for about 1 hr.. and finish up with steaming in the pressure cooker for about 2 hr. I am looking forward to some good sandwich meat.

Edited by BillyBobThai

Maybe you misead my post?... I prefer local beef, not aged (beginning to rot) fresh, lean, strong. I don't like the affects of pineapple or green papaya marinade, it seems to break down the surface, leaving it mushy. What many westerners are raised on and so have a taste for, is a nice thick piece of sick castrated steer, fattened on grain in a feedlot, not allowed exercise and constantly sick from the grain, fat and sick it is killed, then to make it even softer it is aged until decomp sets in. Look at the body shape of your big bloody "marbeled" steak eaters..... If your local beef is too tough use a tenderising hammer on it, slice it thin and enjoy.

Sorry you are missing out on one of the great pleasures of life, an excellent steak. Contrary to what you believe, feed lot cattle are not sick. True, its a crappy life, I would never claim it to be a fulfilling existence for a cattle beast, but raising sick animals is not conducive to producing large amounts of meat. While grass-fed or free-range may be better for your health, the taste and tenderness are nowhere near as good as grain-fed, the fat marbling makes a world of difference.

Also, aging is typically used in high-end steakhouses, on meat that is already of excellent quality - not on tough sub-par beef that one would like to tenderise. Aged steak can be excellent, but I would not purchase aged beef outside of a trusted establishment, or I would do it myself.

Healthier grass-fed may be. but tastier? I think not. Maybe you've never had a truly high-quality steak, well prepared - its just not available here in Thailand - or maybe your tastes are just different than most.

• Like 1

reply to bobo42

When I refer to "sick" cattle at feedlots, I mean that the grain diet can not be digested without medical intervention.

I will eat almost anything if served to me say at a party, sure, I have eaten and enjoyed tender steaks. That kind of diet I call "fiesta food" not for everyday but enjoyed for special occasions. Everyday food is chosen for nutrition, "fiesta food" for taste. You want to throw a party and grill some big fatty steaks? Invite me, I'll be there!

Its pretty off topic and its more important that it destroys the healthful parts of the meat, but its full of anti nutrients and the "benefits" are dramatically overstated, and the insulin spiking, obesity causing foods like breads which are devoid of nutrition but have become a staple replacing real foods like meat and veggies. We don't need grains, we suffer for having them. If you want more information on it keep an open mind and do some research. http://www.marksdail.../#axzz1roLduPxC

Search for some of the effects on gut health when consuming grains, or read good calories, bad calories. one of the best researched books ever on the subject.

As far as grass vs grain fed beef:

http://www.americang...atural-beef.asp

http://www.eatwild.c...lthbenefits.htm

http://www.bulletpro...an-epic-series/

Why waste time reading all that crap when I am 70 years old and have eaten beef and grains all my life and am still in relatively good condition. To hear crap like you print one would believe the average westerner life expectancy to be 50.

Coming from Australia originally I can safely say that 700baht for imported Aussie beef is a good deal.

It can easily cost more than 700baht in Aussie dollars for quality cuts back home.

too right. 70 baht is the rump steak price these days.

reply to bobo42

When I refer to "sick" cattle at feedlots, I mean that the grain diet can not be digested without medical intervention.

I will eat almost anything if served to me say at a party, sure, I have eaten and enjoyed tender steaks. That kind of diet I call "fiesta food" not for everyday but enjoyed for special occasions. Everyday food is chosen for nutrition, "fiesta food" for taste. You want to throw a party and grill some big fatty steaks? Invite me, I'll be there!

You remind me of a fellow who watches what he ears. We were out for diner one night and I ordered my Chefs salad with iceberg lettuce he asked why he claimed (and maybe rightfully so) that it had no nutrients in it. I ordered iceberg lettuce because dark green veggie's are not good for you if you are taking Wharafin as a blood thinner.

He then ordered a regular pizza for himself. I guess his idea of taking care of ones health is get nutrients and don't bother about any of the other ingredients.