Am I Lucky?

lampard10

Today I did a pre-Xmas beer run into the wilds of deepest Pattaya. At my last port of call, The Friendship Supermarket, I paid for my goods with my Kasikorn card. When the card was returned to me I went to put it in my wallet. Gone. The wallet that is. From right by my hand. OK I was watching the till girl., because my card did not work in the till I was using so I was making sure they did not take twice. Upstairs in the managers office, we re-ran the whole scene through the video, and there to my amazement I saw the old guy who was next in line to me, pick up my wallet and walk off with it, after he was told the till was closed. This was an old Farang around 60/65 with a small grey haired Farang spouse. I feel sure that he picked up my whole world by mistake from right under my hand, thinking it was his. If anyone out there knows of a friend, or a story of someone coming home with a wallet too many, put him on to me. He was wearing a bright yellow sweater at the time, grey thinning hair, about 5'8".

I must admit my mind wasn't all together on things after the PIG we ran across in the car park. Six foot tall, six foot wide septic tank, who screamed abuse at my wife and myself because he thought we were going to take his parking spot. If you think your f*******g going in f******g there you pair of c***s youve got another f*****g think F*******G

coming. I've waited five f*****g minutes for that spot. Big deal. We'd just drove seven hours for it. People in Pattaya. :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the eighties it was the costa del sol.

In the nineties it was northern cyprus...

but it seems that most of the british low life criminals are now making pattaya their haven!

lamps, sorry to assume he was a fellow brit but am i wrong? I cringe sometimes when I see how some of my fellow countrymen act when in LOS. I just hope thais don't think we are all the same!

Today I did a pre-Xmas beer run into the wilds of deepest Pattaya. At my last port of call, The Friendship Supermarket, I paid for my goods with my Kasikorn card. When the card was returned to me I went to put it in my wallet. Gone. The wallet that is. From right by my hand. OK I was watching the till girl., because my card did not work in the till I was using so I was making sure they did not take twice. Upstairs in the managers office, we re-ran the whole scene through the video, and there to my amazement I saw the old guy who was next in line to me, pick up my wallet and walk off with it, after he was told the till was closed. This was an old Farang around 60/65 with a small grey haired Farang spouse. I feel sure that he picked up my whole world by mistake from right under my hand, thinking it was his. If anyone out there knows of a friend, or a story of someone coming home with a wallet too many, put him on to me. He was wearing a bright yellow sweater at the time, grey thinning hair, about 5'8".

I must admit my mind wasn't all together on things after the PIG we ran across in the car park. Six foot tall, six foot wide septic tank, who screamed abuse at my wife and myself because he thought we were going to take his parking spot. If you think your f*******g going in f******g there you pair of c***s youve got another f*****g think F*******G

coming. I've waited five f*****g minutes for that spot. Big deal. We'd just drove seven hours for it. People in Pattaya. :o

You look for the guy in the Yellow who got your wallet.

Put the septic on to me Lamps, my pleasure.

Hope you sort it with not too much fuss fella.

redrus

Is it possible for the supermarket to print out a still image of the elderly customer from their surveillance tape?

If so, maybe you could post it here, or make it available via PM, being careful not to make any accusations.

There is sure to be somebody on this forum who could recognise the person.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

Is it possible for the supermarket to print out a still image of the elderly customer from their surveillance tape?

If so, maybe you could post it here, or make it available via PM, being careful not to make any accusations.

There is sure to be somebody on this forum who could recognise the person.

No; we left it at that. If it was a mistake, then it will probably be returned. If it was the Pattaya branch of the Darby & Joan Mafia, then it's gone. The only thing of any importance really was my two Thai driving licences, and certain business cards that customers have given me. The main thing of course was the time. When we drive down for a foreign booze run, we must leave at 4am to be in Patters to catch the Taksin Booze Window, which is a miserly 11-14. That's three hours to buy 50,000 bahts worth of booze, scouting around for the best bargins of the day. Our first hit was Carrefours, where we spent 15,000 on single bottles, packed in plastic bags because they didn't have a single box on the premesis. At least Friendship had boxes ( and they let us have 12 to repack the Carrefours wares) Mind you, if they hadn't, my wife would have been at the counter when I paid, and nagged me black and blue about leaving my wallet lying around. Still, I'm only 57. It's all part of lifes leaning curve. :o

Sorry to hear that Lampshade.

I however was a tad luckier than you... :D

I had my passport lifted from my wallet in Chinatown BKK. I don't usually carry my passport but for various reasons had it that day... :D

I must have felt something 'cos I touched my pocket and it was gone! :D !

As I was telling my wife it had gone a lady behind us told her that she had seen a kid in a green shirt take something from my pocket.

Ran down the alley looking for the kid but no luck..... :D

Another lady starts talking to my wife and points to some boxes at the front of a small shop. My wife starts rifling through the boxes and lo and behold pulls out my passport! :burp: !

I guess the kid thought he had lifted my wallet and dumped the passport when he realised what it was.

I could not believe my luck!

Oh happy days........ :o:D:D:D:D

Sorry about your loss Lampard10, I had my wallet stolen up north once, a real pain in the bum.

I'm not a Pattaya knocker in any shape or form, but it seems to me to be going downhill. Murders, suicides, muggings, theft, fights, cons, rip offs. Does it just get more publicity than other places or is it really getting worse?

From what I've read on TV I wouldn't recommend Pattaya to my worst enemy, apart from a flying visit to show the folks the old men and the young loves of their lives, and an interesting stroll down walking street, I stay well away.

As I said, I'm not a Pattaya knocker, though I'll no doubt get flamed for it, but a true insight to the town would be appreciated.

Our personal slack security habits are partly to blame. We are the ones providing the opportunity to thieves and the temptation for them to try their luck is too much to resist.

I remember a couple occasions where I have put my wallet down and walked off without it.

I once withdrew cash from a Pattaya money exchange using my visa card, counted the money but forgot to take back my card. Two days later I remembered what I had done. Thankfully the teller was honest and my card was there waiting for me.

(The disturbing part was that he knew my hotel and room number but did not try to contact. :o )

These days I don't carry my wallet in my back pocket unless that pocket is buttoned down. We start to learn from our mistakes.

Pickpocket crime and other petty crime is not confined to Pattaya alone. Opportunistic crime can occur anywhere.

but it seems that most of the british low life criminals are now making pattaya their haven!

lamps, sorry to assume he was a fellow brit but am i wrong? I cringe sometimes when I see how some of my fellow countrymen act when in LOS. I just hope thais don't think we are all the same!

Yep. I had a good opinion of Brits till I came to LOS. No more. Now I make it a point avoid them, even those who don't look like yobs or try to steal your parking spot. By contrast I'd thought I'd hate the Germans after watching all those old war movies as a kid. But by and large I've found the Germans reasonably urbane, along with the Scandinavians and Australians, to name the larger groups. In fairness I should mention that a Scotsman is among my best friends here. Is really the English we're talking about?

"Now I make it a point avoid them, even those who don't look like yobs or try to steal your parking spot."

The OP makes it clear it was an American who gave the barrage of abuse over the parking spot and nowhere does it even guess the old guy and the wallet were English.

Your prejudices are getting the better of you here I am afraid.

I am glad you will avoid me though with your prejudices as I do look like a English yob with a shaved head, tattoo's and a broken nose - I also have three degree's including an MBA though and a pretty good job ;-)

I am glad you will avoid me though with your prejudices as I do look like a English yob with a shaved head, tattoo's and a broken nose - I also have three degree's including an MBA though and a pretty good job ;-)

:D:D

I was going to add the line "and I also have a black belt in karate," but then I saw that you have a broken nose, which makes me think that your defence skills may be lacking somewhat.

It's a good post anyway. :o

Sorry Lampard

I feel for you

I left one on the counter at WH Smiths in the Eurostar Terminal back in July after the Thai Food Festival in uly.

I got it back but they took my SIM cards and had cancelled my CC's just in case - its a hassle getting new ones where i am as you have to pick them up at the bank.

Then when all this was sorted I was robbed in the street just over three weeks ago so all my new SIM's, new CC's and my Bank Cards were gone as well as some pictures of great sentimental value.

I have got all my cards re-issued and will buy new SIM's but i can never get those pic's back - there was one in BKK from Christmas 1997 that is irreplaceable.

Hope you can get all your stuff back easily enough - its the hassle factor mainly as well as the "Duh did I do that!" factor.

I just want this year over ;-)

I doubt it was a mistake Lampy,....opportunistic crime, I would have reported it to the police. probably too late now though..

as for the Yank...another example of the people that take their hometown attitudes with them to Thailand....they should make this a deportable offence.

I doubt it was a mistake Lampy,....opportunistic crime, I would have reported it to the police. probably too late now though..

I like the idea if you could get a still off the video footage and post if that's allowed.

It's just bloody amazing how rude some people can be and if it was a mistake they should've contacted the police or the owner by now.

You watch your back pocket on the Baht bus and now you have to mindful of all in the check out Q.

Street smarts 24/7, don't leave your keys in the car or your doors unlocked.

Can the store put the photo up if possible.

Oh! and road rage is coming in the New Year, rehearsals in car parks to get one in the mood!

Merry Christmas

lamps, why don't you put his pic up here.It's not asi f you are saying that he is a crim...just a "Have you seen this man etc"

No time to do anything really. Drove down, three hours shiopping, drive back. If I'd got the police in I could have been there all night. I should have asked to print the photos off though, but come to think of it the quality was so bad.

Yep. I had a good opinion of Brits till I came to LOS. No more. Now I make it a point avoid them, even those who don't look like yobs or try to steal your parking spot. By contrast I'd thought I'd hate the Germans after watching all those old war movies as a kid. But by and large I've found the Germans reasonably urbane, along with the Scandinavians and Australians, to name the larger groups. In fairness I should mention that a Scotsman is among my best friends here. Is really the English we're talking about?

There are low lifes from every country in the world, I guess you have heard of Ali Baba and his forty thieves but what about Somchai and his 60 million thieves.

What a stupid post....some would say racist.....but really it`s just pathetic and childish :o

lamps, why don't you put his pic up here.It's not asi f you are saying that he is a crim...just a "Have you seen this man etc"

No time to do anything really. Drove down, three hours shiopping, drive back. If I'd got the police in I could have been there all night. I should have asked to print the photos off though, but come to think of it the quality was so bad.

Yeah I can understand that about the time Lampy....but he knew it wasnt his wallet and sure as <deleted> he was hoping for a windfall.....he stole the wallet...no mistake!!!

What a stupid post....some would say racist.....but really it`s just pathetic and childish :o

Hey he likes Aussies......fair go cobber..... :D:D:D

What a stupid post....some would say racist.....but really it`s just pathetic and childish :D

Hey he likes Aussies......fair go cobber..... :D:D:D

Hmmm Oz former (some say still) penal colony!!! :D:o