Ban On Booze As Emergency Services Brace For Accidents: Songkran Festival

webfact

Everybody who wants to have alcohol at hand during Songkran can buy it in advance. So this rule is one of many ineffective rules here in LOS. Better take hard action against the consumers who are the direct dangerous traffic participans.

Last year I was riding my motorbike and was hit from behind by a very drunken driver. Four policemen came. They asked me if I wanted money. I said that I want that the drunken driver would be held reponsible for his life threatening behavior. The police didn't want to hear what I was asking, although my Thai wife explained to them very clear what I had said. And although the driver hardly could balance himself while standing still, the police took absolutely no action against this person.

I have to add that there was a so called friend of the driver who claimed to work for the government. This man repeatedly said this to me hoping that this would impress me. I told him to <deleted> off, which did not make the police happy. Maybe justice here comes in a very strange shape....?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you want to reduce death on roads ? easy ............. send the people to DRIVING SCHOOL , in those schools you learn how to respect other drivers, road safety , to read what road signs means etc .... unfortunately it seems the 15,000 dead per year in this country is not enough as nothing is really done to fight road accidents., ban on alcool ? pffffffffffffff a total joke as they did it how many time before and it doesnt work. ....

Sorry! I wish school was the answer? The schools are all corrupted and they are the problem of teaching them actually to drive in circles and not drive defensively! The schools pass them by paying the government test instructors they never actually go on the road or shown as what drivers are doing. The system needs to be changed and enforced!

I believe the thinking behind that rather porous law was to prevent alcohol being sold to minors during the hours they are returning from school. It was a blanket law that supposedly orders all liquor outlets to not sell alcohol between 1400hrs and 1700hrs.

All major stores such as Tesco, Big C, Tops, Makro, 7-11 etc comply. The small "mom & pop" stores in every soi usually do not, because they either know the buyer or need the sales.

Personally I have never been refused a beer purchase at several small shops in my area during those 'restricted' hours.

The law inconveniences tourists, and the adult population who may be shopping at that time of day. It causes a huge loss of revenue to these larger companies.

You mention "LOGIC" I assume you live in Thailand? If you do, you know the answer.

That is the way I read it as well with a couple of differences. I believe theselling time rules apply to retail outlets; licensed premises can sell during these times if they want.

All major stores such as Tesco, Big C, Tops, Makro, 7-11 etc comply, but have added their own rules that if you buy in bulk, they will still sell (not sure what the minimum requirement is).

These rules/serving times were introduced to deter minors from purchasing alcohol, in a country where it is law that everyone carries their ID. Would it not have been simpler to ask for said ID and check the age as is done in most normal countries instead of introducing the above b0ll0cks?

The rule wasn't added to help the large retailers, it was because technically the wholesale companies would find it difficult to make invoiced deliveries in the afternoon. It is a nonsense law which is selectively enforced and does absolutely nothing to reduce alcohol consumption. it just makes it bloody impossible to plan an impromptu barbecue. Although I do notice that they have finally taken booze out of gas stations. Just a little logic is present once in a while.

The booze was removed from the petrol stations years ago and by the Thaksin government.

I could be wrong, but I think might have been his personal instruction.

Personally i hate it as my nearest shop for beer etc was the local gas station.,

When i first came to Thailand, Soncran was fun, lasted for just a couple of days, now its a week plus, mainly caused by the

farang/westerners influence and of course its now just a money spinner

• Like 1

The only efficient way to reduce alcohol consumption is to increase the price, by increasing the government tax on alcoholic drinks (triple the tax or so). That would help the state cuffers and the people as well.

Hasn't worked in Australia, they constantly increase the taxes but consumption stays the same, just government revenue.

When i first came to Thailand, Soncran was fun, lasted for just a couple of days, now its a week plus, mainly caused by the

Isn't Christmas, Easter, valentines day etc the same, just huge money spinners

Isn't Christmas, Easter, valentines day etc the same, just huge money spinners

Surely it's down to the individual how "sucked in" you get. We choose to enjoy Songkran with a BBQ and neighborhood water fight, adults get drunk, children have a ball, doesn't cost anymore than a BBQ on any other day of the year... good fun all round.

And it's a single day where I live, not a week, this varies from province to province. Correct me if I'm wrong but celebrations in Chang Mai last 5-7 days, while in the Phuket it's a one day thing... and I'd hazard a guess that there are a hell of alot more tourists in Phuket than Chang Mai anyday of the year so don't really see that point...

Everybody who wants to have alcohol at hand during Songkran can buy it in advance. So this rule is one of many ineffective rules here in LOS. Better take hard action against the consumers who are the direct dangerous traffic participans.

Last year I was riding my motorbike and was hit from behind by a very drunken driver. Four policemen came. They asked me if I wanted money. I said that I want that the drunken driver would be held reponsible for his life threatening behavior. The police didn't want to hear what I was asking, although my Thai wife explained to them very clear what I had said. And although the driver hardly could balance himself while standing still, the police took absolutely no action against this person.

I have to add that there was a so called friend of the driver who claimed to work for the government. This man repeatedly said this to me hoping that this would impress me. I told him to <deleted> off, which did not make the police happy. Maybe justice here comes in a very strange shape....?

Actually, the outcome of your accident is quite consistent with how the BiB handle problems. You should be happy you weren't blamed for the accident because you are a foreigner or even put in jail for it. Usually foreigners are always at fault in accidents. Basically, you make a problem, then you have to pay for it. That goes for accidents and especially defamation. I have learned to leave my western values at home because they don't apply here and trying to exercise western values here only gets you in hot water. Remember, TiT.

• Like 1

I believe the thinking behind that rather porous law was to prevent alcohol being sold to minors during the hours they are returning from school. It was a blanket law that supposedly orders all liquor outlets to not sell alcohol between 1400hrs and 1700hrs.

All major stores such as Tesco, Big C, Tops, Makro, 7-11 etc comply. The small "mom & pop" stores in every soi usually do not, because they either know the buyer or need the sales.

Personally I have never been refused a beer purchase at several small shops in my area during those 'restricted' hours.

The law inconveniences tourists, and the adult population who may be shopping at that time of day. It causes a huge loss of revenue to these larger companies.

You mention "LOGIC" I assume you live in Thailand? If you do, you know the answer.

That is the way I read it as well with a couple of differences. I believe theselling time rules apply to retail outlets; licensed premises can sell during these times if they want.

All major stores such as Tesco, Big C, Tops, Makro, 7-11 etc comply, but have added their own rules that if you buy in bulk, they will still sell (not sure what the minimum requirement is).

These rules/serving times were introduced to deter minors from purchasing alcohol, in a country where it is law that everyone carries their ID. Would it not have been simpler to ask for said ID and check the age as is done in most normal countries instead of introducing the above b0ll0cks?

The rule wasn't added to help the large retailers, it was because technically the wholesale companies would find it difficult to make invoiced deliveries in the afternoon. It is a nonsense law which is selectively enforced and does absolutely nothing to reduce alcohol consumption. it just makes it bloody impossible to plan an impromptu barbecue. Although I do notice that they have finally taken booze out of gas stations. Just a little logic is present once in a while.

K, that makes sense.

Yeah .. good idea. They should ban alcohol not only on Songkran but all together. And tobacco as well. Since all better drugs are already banned why not ban the worst two? ...

Aren't pubs in England closed weird hours too?

Pretty hard to enforce this since those who do the enforces are the problem. Checkpoint with a tent on the side of the road with the guys sitting or standing doing nothing! Next year they will be talking about the same thing and doing the same nothing. But thanks for trying anyway.

What do you mean doing nothing? The guys near us have a nice widescreen tv to keep them occupied.

Where I live, the checkpoints pull people over regularly. Cones in the road to slow people down and people getting waved over at random. Maybe it depends on where you live.

It isn't so much about driving under the influence of alcohol as it is about driving while Thai that causes these tragic fatalities each Songkran. We need driver's education to be a mandatory course in high schools! Alcohol simply compounds problem of the lack of driving skills.

This is one of the finest quotes I have ever seen on TV

• Like 1

I will never spend Songkran in an area that is heavily populated with tourists. They take Songkran to the nth degree and turn it from a fun time to something to be avoided. 5 or 6 years ago, I was in Pattaya. It was fun during the day and I had a great time. But, when the sun goes down, the throwing of water is supposed to stop. We went back to the hotel, showered and changed and went out foa night on the town but, some drunken tourist came and doused us with water as well as other farangs that had changed and cleaned up. In the morning, we were sitting in a sidewalk cafe and having breakfast and a drunken farang (8 or 9 AM mind you) threw a bucket of water on us and laughed like a maniac.

But, where I live in Northern Thailand, the Thai's have a good time with Songkran and it's a lot of fun. To many farangs come here and think there are not any rules. Even games and sports have rules but, we still have a good time playing or watching them. And, we get angry when a player breaks the rules and is not caught by a referee.

you want to reduce death on roads ? easy ............. send the people to DRIVING SCHOOL , in those schools you learn how to respect other drivers, road safety , to read what road signs means etc .... unfortunately it seems the 15,000 dead per year in this country is not enough as nothing is really done to fight road accidents., ban on alcool ? pffffffffffffff a total joke as they did it how many time before and it doesnt work. ....

Thais learn nothing. They go through the motions to get their licenses and pass the test, then it's back to wreckless driving, and get out of my way, I'm coming thru. Half the village bkes are not registered, and many of the drivers don't have valid licences and insurance.

The ban on alcohol means nothing. They stock up ahead or have made their own moonshine to drink. Does the helmet law work./...NO. Does the use of cell phones in cars and bikes work...NO. The other day I had to follow down a soi where a girl was driving her bike with one hand, using her phone with the other hand, and trying to balance a very small child on her lap. Normal for her kind.

True, I agree and see this daily...I have also seen the results of no helmet..sad the girl's head bleeding, crowded by people showing support and in their minds a reminder this could be THEM! I suggest bill boards show the results of no helmets, gory scenes, disfigured faces and family members dead... Even with a $5 UN-approved standard helmet will not protect ones head..like a cracked Easter egg, blue in color and oozing red blood flowing out, a reminder of the poor government standards!

They should try and ban all these idiots that throw water at travelling vehicles and motorbikes.

Khunkeith, I agree with you that it is silly not slowing down when you see people throwing water. but what if the water on the road dries up before the next motorbike comes along? One more thing, If any farang throws water at me, I will be very voilent towards them.

throwing waterwell, it is Songkran and it is a big celebration here. When I am out and about during Songkran and see people beside the road or wet spots on the road, I am pretty sure I will be hit by water so I slow down and enjoy it. having the attitude that "they should not throw water at me because I am driving" and not slowing down is just silly. Near my house, I usually come to a complete stop so I can be drenched and the Thai's laugh and like a farang that takes part in their festivities.

True enough. But, like I said, if I see anyone standing beside the road or even near the road, I slow way down. But, I live far north of BKK and there are few farangs here. There are not the excesses here that there are in the cities or areas with a lot of farangs. I do work in the garden and, when it gets hot, I go for a spin on my motorbike. That cold water feels good.

The police put up a checkpoint right in front of my house this year. I will be able to give an honest report of their work or not working after Songkran. I can sit in my gazebo and see everything in and around the checkpoint.

They should try and ban all these idiots that throw water at travelling vehicles and motorbikes.

Khunkeith, I agree with you that it is silly not slowing down when you see people throwing water. but what if the water on the road dries up before the next motorbike comes along? One more thing, If any farang throws water at me, I will be very voilent towards them.

throwing waterwell, it is Songkran and it is a big celebration here. When I am out and about during Songkran and see people beside the road or wet spots on the road, I am pretty sure I will be hit by water so I slow down and enjoy it. having the attitude that "they should not throw water at me because I am driving" and not slowing down is just silly. Near my house, I usually come to a complete stop so I can be drenched and the Thai's laugh and like a farang that takes part in their festivities.

True enough. But, like I said, if I see anyone standing beside the road or even near the road, I slow way down. But, I live far north of BKK and there are few farangs here. There are not the excesses here that there are in the cities or areas with a lot of farangs. I do work in the garden and, when it gets hot, I go for a spin on my motorbike. That cold water feels good.

The police put up a checkpoint right in front of my house this year. I will be able to give an honest report of their work or not working after Songkran. I can sit in my gazebo and see everything in and around the checkpoint.

I also live far north of Bangkok, between Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok. Unless you are wearing shorts and a vest, riding a motorbike and getting soaked is very uncomfortable. Not having a beer belly and never wearing shorts, I don't want soaked riding my motorbike.

"I also live far north of Bangkok, between Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok. Unless you are wearing shorts and a vest, riding a motorbike and getting soaked is very uncomfortable. Not having a beer belly and never wearing shorts, I don't want soaked riding my motorbike."

Go elsewhere for Songkran or stay in maybe? I doubt the entire country will change the tradition to cater for one man "without a beer belly" and an aversion to shorts & water...

I guess guys with beer bellies are all water repellent?!

Edited by Ferangled

"I also live far north of Bangkok, between Nakhon Sawan and Phitsanulok. Unless you are wearing shorts and a vest, riding a motorbike and getting soaked is very uncomfortable. Not having a beer belly and never wearing shorts, I don't want soaked riding my motorbike."

Go elsewhere for Songkran or stay in maybe? I doubt the entire country will change the tradition to cater for one man "without a beer belly" and an aversion to shorts & water...

I don't have a beer gut but, again, I also don't have a problem riding my motor bike to the market when it's raining either. I live between Phetchabun and Loei. But, though I don't understand an aversion to shorts, that's your decision. I dress for the occasion. if people are going to throw water at me, I dress for it. I think it's fun.

I don't have a beer gut but, again, I also don't have a problem riding my motor bike to the market when it's raining either. I live between Phetchabun and Loei. But, though I don't understand an aversion to shorts, that's your decision. I dress for the occasion. if people are going to throw water at me, I dress for it. I think it's fun.

Errr..yes, quite....while we're all sharing, neither do I, but I still don't see the relevance between beer guts or lack thereof and Songkran! Am I missing something?

I personally wear shorts daily because it's usually bloody hot here and as I've said, am looking forward to another Songkran bbq/ water fest. If I didn't enjoy it, I'd simply avoid it. jap.gif

I prefer a thong with minimum spf nipple protection since this allows for a fast dry time. The belly is used as down force similar to an F1 series car which enables traction on the wet pavement while blowing water out of belly button.

• Like 2

I prefer a thong with minimum spf nipple protection since this allows for a fast dry time. The belly is used as down force similar to an F1 series car which enables traction on the wet pavement while blowing water out of belly button.

Class post, one of my all time favorites, had me in tears clap2.gif