Chalerm Denies Thaksin Talking With Insurgents

Lite Beer

Chalerm denies Thaksin talking with insurgents

image_2012040518595382600A6D-D1D8-5282-896EAEE6408A1441.jpg

BANGKOK, April 5 - Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung denied on Thursday that fugitive ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra reportedly had recently talked with Thailand’s exiled insurgents abroad.

The opposition Democrat MPs for southern border provinces of Songkhla and Yala queried Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra during the house session concerning recent deadly bombings which killed 15 people in the two provinces.

Yala MP Thavorn Senneam cited informed sources as saying that Thaksin recently talked with the Pattani United Liberation Organisation (PULO) in a neighbouring country. The insurgent movement however rejected the ousted premier's offer to give it money in exchange for an end of eight-year insurgency in Thailand's southern border region. The failed talks reportedly led to recent violence which rocked the region.

Mr Thavorn said that Mr Thaksin also wished to meet with Sapae-ing Baso, believed to be the leader of the Barisan Revolusi Nasional Coordinate, a splinter group of the BRN (Barisan Revolusi Nasional), but likewise denied a request, for Mr Baso did not trust Mr Thaksin.

Prime Minister Yingluck was said to have travelled with Mr Thaksin on his second journey to talk with the insurgents.

The Democrat MPs asked the government to investigate the PULO website where Mr Thaksin was said to be pictured embracing its leader.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm however denied the reports.

"Mr Thaksin was neither involved nor had he spoken (as reported) as he had no authority to do so. The sure thing is Thaksin was concerned about the situation," Mr Chalerm responded to the query on behalf of the prime minister who was observing Thai-Singaporean military drills in northeastern province of Sa Kaeo.

Mr Chalerm conceded that the sophisticated planning of the bombers made it difficult for security operations to deter such violence. He also said the premier assigned him to direct integrated intelligence work to tackle southern violence with all parties concerned including opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and all southern Democrat MPs.

The deputy premier also said the rear command of the operations centre for tackling southern insurgency would be set up next week and he would heed Mr Abhisit's advice that the premier should direct the command herself.

Mr Abhisit said he was willing to cooperate but concerned that might go against the charter which bars MPs from interfering in the work of government officials.

Prior to her departure for Sa Kaeo, Ms Yingluck chaired the security meeting at Government House ordering authorities to tighten security for the public during Songkran, the long traditional new year. She also said security officials would be held accountable for any security lapse, if such occurs, according to Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit.

The pace of violence has picked up since militants first raided an army base in Narathiwat early 2004, reviving long-running tensions and triggering insurgency along the Muslim-dominant region bordering Malaysia. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-05

I suppose the next question should be 'how does Chalerm know that Thaksin was not talking to insurgents?, What is the DPM doing liaising on security issues with a fugitive criminal who does not hold a government position?

The whole thing if it did happen is a ruse for our man in Dubai to buy his way back into Thailand, pay off the terrorists, Goverment proclaims that he has single handedly resolved the southern crisis and therefore all charges/jail sentances should be dropped and he should be welcomed home like the messiah he believes he is

@GentlemanJim I agree. Money's not on their mind.

All the insurgents want, is for the map of Thailand to change back to how it was before 1910, and reclaim their former Sultanate from Prachap Kiri Khan all the way South to the Malay border. Maybe this time around they'd want it to be a Caliphate.

It seems like Thaksin wants to cover up the fact to his followers it was this issue that got him coup'd in the first place.

SOUTH CRISIS

Thaksin did not meet with PULO leaders : defence minister

The Nation

30179509-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Defence Minister Sukumpol Suwanatat on Friday travelled to the three southern provinces on a one-day visit to follow up the situation and provide moral support to the military stationed in the violence-plagued area.

Air Chief Marshal Sukumpol told reporters before leaving Bangkok that the trip was aimed at providing firsthand information on obstacles and recommendations from the authorities working in the region and to seek ways of facilitating operations in the southern provinces among the various agencies so that they run more smoothly.

He said that any intelligence and strategy operations, which were working properly would not be altered, but that more communication technology for more effective coordination among official agencies would be implemented.

As for the security measures to ensure public safety, he said the emergency decree is already being enforced in the three southern provinces and the local authorities would decide whether a curfew was needed in any of their jurisdictions.

He also noted that it was not considered possible that fugitive ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had held secret talks with Thailand's exiled insurgents abroad.

Sukumpol said the claim would not have an impact on security matters and urged the public not to give it any credence.

Opposition Democrat MPs for the southern border provinces of Songkhla and Yala cited informed sources as saying that Thaksin had recently talked with the Pattani United Liberation Organisation (PULO) in a neighbouring country.

The insurgent movement however reportedly rejected the ousted premier’s alleged offer to give it money in exchange for an end to the eight-year insurgency in Thailand’s southern border region. The failed talks reportedly led to the recent surge of violence, which has rocked the region.

The Democrat MPs asked the government to investigate the PULO website where Mr Thaksin was said to be pictured embracing its leader.

ACM Sukumpol was scheduled to visit Pattani and Yala before returning to Bangkok at around 7pm.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-06

there are people in this world whose ideologies are no where near the 'money' one that they seem to cherish so much.

Thaksin often thinks money is the answer to everything, but it doesn't always work. If all he had to do was throw money around, he wouldn't have ran away and he'd be here ruling Thailand with an iron fist (with the military by his side).

• Like 1

They (Thaksin/Chalerm) seem to have no idea, that there are people in this world whose ideologies are no where near the 'money' one that they seem to cherish so much. It shows their level of intelligence when they fail to realise that a religious extremist does not want money. It is quite amusing to think of seeing Thaksin left looking stumped thinking to himself "but I offered them $50 million and they said no!

As you know your-self you know others.

a.k.a "It´s take a thief to know a thief.

If Chalerm denies it, then it's more likely to be true. Plus it's not only the PULO website that claims that Thaksin did meet with their leaders recently: Deep South Watch, a NGO also reported it.

Is that right. I couldn't find a thing, no photo's just the usual Thaksin Kruk Bai stuff. Oh, and this,

Pulo had for many months been in talks with a Thai delegation from the previous Abhisit Vejjajiva government, meeting quietly in South-east Asian capitals outside Thailand...................The Thai delegation is led by an army general. While that is seen as a good thing given the clout of the army in the Thai context, one disadvantage is that 'they (the army) don't want to talk about it. This has not been resolved'.

http://puloinfo.net/...w=English&ID=17

I suppose the next question should be 'how does Chalerm know that Thaksin was not talking to insurgents?, What is the DPM doing liaising on security issues with a fugitive criminal who does not hold a government position?

Also why would they believe him about receiving money. He did not pay all his red shirt supporters in Bangkok in 2010.

They all ready know what kind of a cheap skate he is. What has he ever done for any one where he did not get more out of it than he put in.

His under writing of the red terrorists in 2010 got him the Prime Ministrship here in Thailand.

If Chalerm denies it, then it's more likely to be true. Plus it's not only the PULO website that claims that Thaksin did meet with their leaders recently: Deep South Watch, a NGO also reported it.

Is that right. I couldn't find a thing, no photo's just the usual Thaksin Kruk Bai stuff. Oh, and this,

Pulo had for many months been in talks with a Thai delegation from the previous Abhisit Vejjajiva government, meeting quietly in South-east Asian capitals outside Thailand...................The Thai delegation is led by an army general. While that is seen as a good thing given the clout of the army in the Thai context, one disadvantage is that 'they (the army) don't want to talk about it. This has not been resolved'.

http://puloinfo.net/...w=English&ID=17

The many dots in the quote indicate there was text there which can be found in the quoted article.

The quote as shown in no way wants to suggest that the current opposition is still talking with the PULO.

A different quote from the same article shows

Pulo had for many months been in talks with a Thai delegation from the previous Abhisit Vejjajiva government, meeting quietly in South-east Asian capitals outside Thailand.

That talks took place at all was seen as positive by analysts. But they largely remained in a confidence-building stage, with each side unsure the other would be able to deliver on any promise made.

Pulo wants older-generation insurgents held in Thai jails released as a goodwill gesture.

The Thai side wants the insurgency group leaders to demonstrate that they have the clout to stop militant activity in the south.

Talks petered out as Thailand became preoccupied with the general election in July last year and a new government took over and was soon swamped by the worst flooding disaster in over half a century.

The renewed hope is tempered with caution, but there are some encouraging signs this time around.

'The Thai delegation is stronger than before,' said Mr Mahkota.

A source familiar with the plans, meanwhile, said 'there are stronger elements in the process. Dialogue is now embedded in Thailand's National Security Council policy. This is important because it sets the direction for officials'.

"Autonomy is not the answer for the far South

The Nation March 12, 2012 1:00 am

Govt campaign vow was never popular among Malay Muslims

Thailand’s deep South is full of deep mysteries - especially when it comes to this government's policy for this restive region, where an ongoing insurgency has so far claimed more than 5,000 lives since January 2004.

During the election campaign last year, Yingluck Shinawatra promised to grant the region a special status, or autonomy, if her party was elected. Pheu Thai Party came in first but the party did not receive one single seat from this Malay-speaking region. The same goes for all other parties that were campaigning on autonomy, or this vague notion of Nakhon Pattani, or Greater Pattani.

The military didn't like it, so Pheu Thai Party reneged on the promise. Nobody in the country gave a hoot about Pheu Thai backtracking because Thai society is largely indifferent to the grievances of the Malays."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Autonomy-is-not-the-answer-for-the-far-South-30177717.html

The many dots in the quote indicate there was text there which can be found in the quoted article.

The quote as shown in no way wants to suggest that the current opposition is still talking with the PULO.

text removed if you want to read the full text either read rubls previous post or read the link.

Sorry,rubl, wrong again, I'm not as devious as some of your fellow posters.

I provide a link and I quote from it. If I insert dots that is a deliberate attempt on my part to show that there is more text for those who want to investigate further.

If I was trying to show that the current opposition is still talking to the PULO I would have run the two paragraphs together with no dots in between. But then what would be the point as some intelligent cynical types would read the link I provided and see that there was more text.

The point I was trying to make was the gall and hypocrisy of the present day opposition 1) Asking the Government to investigate a photo of Thaksin talking to the rebels which doesn't exist (a pretty obvious statement to prove or disprove) and 2) acting as if it was something only the PTP would do when it is now apparent that the democrats had already been there and done that.

Comment on the message rubl, not the messenger, you're looking for things that aren't there, like the democrats.

ps

by the way if I write a paragraph or line with dots after it but no subsequent paragraph or line it's my way of inviting the reader to think upon it.

please keep this in mind to avoid any further misunderstandings..........................

Edited by phiphidon

text removed if you want to read the full text either read rubls previous post or read the link.

I provide a link and I quote from it. If I insert dots that is a deliberate attempt on my part to show that there is more text for those who want to investigate further.

If I was trying to show that the current opposition is still talking to the PULO I would have run the two paragraphs together with no dots in between. But then what would be the point as some intelligent cynical types would read the link I provided and see that there was more text.

The point I was trying to make was the gall and hypocrisy of the present day opposition 1) Asking the Government to investigate a photo of Thaksin talking to the rebels which doesn't exist (a pretty obvious statement to prove or disprove) and 2) acting as if it was something only the PTP would do when it is now apparent that the democrats had already been there and done that.

Comment on the message rubl, not the messenger, you're looking for things that aren't there, like the democrats.

ps

by the way if I write a paragraph or line with dots after it but no subsequent paragraph or line it's my way of inviting the reader to think upon it.

please keep this in mind to avoid any further misunderstandings..........................

"Sorry,rubl, wrong again, I'm not as devious as some of your fellow posters."

You mean I'm wrong saying

"The many dots in the quote indicate there was text there which can be found in the quoted article.

The quote as shown in no way wants to suggest that the current opposition is still talking with the PULO." ?

Anyway There's nothing wrong with the government (previous or current) talking unofficially or even officially with the PULO. What would be wrong is a fugitive criminal like k. Thaksin getting involved. Not only the Democrats should query, but all other political parties as well. The fact that (at least in English) there is no reference to k. Thaksin 'embracing' a PULO chap doesn't mean that page hasn't been there. No doubt a few more details will leak if/when the meeting has taken place.

Edited by rubl

One can only assume that B500 is not enough to sell your vote, and whatever Thaksin was offering not enough to sell their souls (30 pieces of silver?).

Seems murderous Southern terrorists have more ethics than their Northern counterparts.

• Like 1

ps

"Sorry,rubl, wrong again, I'm not as devious as some of your fellow posters."

You mean I'm wrong saying

"The many dots in the quote indicate there was text there which can be found in the quoted article.

The quote as shown in no way wants to suggest that the current opposition is still talking with the PULO." ?

Anyway There's nothing wrong with the government (previous or current) talking unofficially or even officially with the PULO. What would be wrong is a fugitive criminal like k. Thaksin getting involved. Not only the Democrats should query, but all other political parties as well. The fact that (at least in English) there is no reference to k. Thaksin 'embracing' a PULO chap doesn't mean that page hasn't been there. No doubt a few more details will leak if/when the meeting has taken place.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. In the meantime lets wait for a leak of the photo and then the photoshop arguments can begin.Strewth!

Chalerm is the biggest clown I've ever seen. Every time he opens his mouth he embarrasses himself and the country.

I just nodded my head off in total agreement with you!

Chalerm is doing an excellent job for the PTP. He's there to make Yingluck look good and he's doing very well.

Talk about "Déjà vu"! It's hardly TWO weeks ago that we had the 'Thaksin detained in Italy' controversy. If things are proceeding in a similar fashion we can look forward to further statements of the Minister of Foreign Affairs k. Surapong saying he's not aware, Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama saying the former PM was just enjoying his vacation and Dept. PM Gen. Yuthasak explained that there had been a misunderstanding.

In the mean time I'm perfectly willing to believe our dear PM if she were to say "I can deny the rumour, no one told me about it" smile.png

Edited by rubl