Consular Assistance For UK Nationals In Thailand

webfact

Consular assistance for UK nationals

BANGKOK: -- As a consequence of the large number of British tourists and residents in Thailand, the British Embassy in Bangkok has to offer assistance to a significant number of distressed citizens.

What we can and cannot do is guided by government policy, and we aim to provide a service standard that is consistent worldwide. Sadly, in the last 12 months, there were 314 reported deaths and 204 cases of Britons in hospital which were notified to us in Thailand. As a proportion of the total numbers of citizens in the country, these are amongst the highest in the world.

We cannot comment on the circumstances of an individual case, as there are issues of privacy and law. In drawing any conclusions about the treatment of a person, we remain accountable for meeting set obligations and standards of service. That said, our staff deal as sensitively and professionally as possible with people in very difficult and at times traumatic circumstances.

Once we hear of a person being admitted to hospital, we aim to establish contact within 24 hours. Victims of assault or other crimes are visited as soon as possible. We do not visit everyone in hospital. A person's ability to speak on the phone and support from family and friends are factors that determine whether a member of the British Embassy should go to the hospital. We can contact family and friends if a person is unable to do so. If requested, we can help establish contact between a patient and their insurance provider, and we may be able to help with communication with hospital staff if no one there speaks English.

We cannot pay for medical treatment or arrange the provision of hospital care. We cannot ask for better standards of treatment in a public or private hospital than that provided to local nationals. We are not able to fund the cost of the transfer of individual patients to the UK. Commercial disputes that may arise, such as the validity of insurance cover from a company or medical schemes operated by an employer are not issues where the British Embassy can intervene. These are complex legal and compliance issues that fall outside the competence of our staff. We cannot verify whether the exclusions of an insurance policy have been correctly applied if payment is refused. We cannot establish the specific terms under which a person may be employed in Thailand, including declaration of pre-existing conditions and limits of any employer's medical schemes. We can provide a list of English-speaking lawyers who can help.

In the event of a death, we inform next of kin as soon as we have official confirmation. We help families with information and support at a time of intense distress. We cannot assist financially. We cannot investigate the cause of death but we can explain local procedures and advise on access to legal advice.

Our advice to all British citizens who visit or live in Thailand is to ensure that they buy full travel and medical insurance. They should ensure that they do not breach the terms of the cover provided. Riding motorcycles without helmets, dangerous sports and non-declaration of pre-existing illness can have serious consequences. Cost of medical treatment and evacuation to the UK is likely to be prohibitive for individuals. Emergency fund-raising from friends, relatives and the public becomes the only option if there are no private funds or insurance cover.

The full range of the support and limitations of our consular service is set out in www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/2855621/support-for-british-nationals-abroad.pdf. Long term residents should also be aware of the limitations of free health care under the NHS www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/movingabroad/Pages/Livingabroad.aspx

Asif Ahmad

HM Ambassador, UK

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-06

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is stating what they can do and what they cannot do according to the UK guide lines, at best its a point of contact and information, should we expect more?

I think you have to take each case as it comes but it also only fair that individuals take some responsibility themselves especially in the healthcare department coming here with no Health Insurance or parts of it are open to interpretation is not the responsibility of the UK Embassy.

In times of distress I would expect them to do as much as they possibly can and if neccessary arrange a loan, not a gift, to sort out finances.

Being British can be a bonus sometimes. However our embassies are some of the worst in the world for what they offer ex-pats or people on holiday abroad. They basically do absolutely nothing for you. If your having issues, medical, law e.t.c. it pays to be a U.S. Aussie, citizen or almost any other nationality!

• Like 1

I'd be interested to know what behind the scenes 'negotiations' are going on with the Thai authorities as the second paragraph makes me think the UK authorities are starting to take notice of the large number of deaths and injuries that occur to its citizens. I wonder how many deaths / injuries have been competently investigated and appropriate answers provided to the UK government? Probably in the single digits.

Cynicism aside I think the advice about getting medical insurance - even for residents is very important - even if it is common sense for most of us. The bottom line is If you go abroad make sure you have the means to get yourself back home. Don't end up like the Thais who went to work in Gaza / Lebanone and then they cried that they had no money to get home when the shit hit the fan.

Being British can be a bonus sometimes. However our embassies are some of the worst in the world for what they offer ex-pats or people on holiday abroad. They basically do absolutely nothing for you. If your having issues, medical, law e.t.c. it pays to be a U.S. Aussie, citizen or almost any other nationality!

The population of Australia is only around the size of that of London.

Other Countries are unlikely to act differently, given they're all signatories to the same convention.

Edited by evadgib

And what makes you think the US, Australian (or any other country) does or offers more ?

Embassies exist first and foremost to protect and facilitate the interests of the nation, not the nationals.

I'm gobsmacked by the number of people who happily shit on their nanny state,lauding the freedom living as an expat gives them and then run to the embassy expecting an instant nanny when something goes wrong.

Couldn't agree more - good post!

Just count your blessings people!

My Ukrainian girlfriend expects nothing from her embassy - if there even is one!

She smiles at the fuss we make sometimes!

I took the time to read the article, and all of William Hague's speech. Can't say I have a problem with either.

Take responsibility for your own actions, and the embassy will help out when it really hits the fan. Tsunami, war etc.

We can't reasonably expect any more.

Embassies exist first and foremost to protect and facilitate the interests of the nation, not the nationals.

I'm gobsmacked by the number of people who happily shit on their nanny state,lauding the freedom living as an expat gives them and then run to the embassy expecting an instant nanny when something goes wrong.

Exactly. A lot of expats are expats to get away from the nanny state the UK has become. The bottom line is if you can't look after yourself abroad then stay at home.

Pretty pointless post really. Could have just said make sure you have medical insurance as we can't help you, but we'll give your family a call.

I agree with some posters about not expecting the state to help you, but our consular services around the world cost the tax payers a fortune so I would love to know exactly what they do ?

"Sadly, in the last 12 months, there were 314 reported deaths and 204 cases of Britons in hospital which were notified to us in Thailand. As a proportion of the total numbers of citizens in the country, these are amongst the highest in the world." -- Asif Ahmad, HM Ambassador, UK

... well ... the Ambassador makes clear one point ... Thailand is not the safe place the TAT portrays it in their glowing advertising campaigns ... thank you Mr. Ambassador for being forthright on what Thailand is and is not as a tourist destination.

... Thailand has a place for tourism ... similar to 3rd world travel ... more for adventure tourists, than for families.

... the numbers are what the numbers are ... no spin there.

Edited by swillowbee
  • Like 1

I guess the PM’s speech in the UK also generated a memo from the FCO. Aaking all foreign missions to make it clear locally what they are ALLOWED to do whenever strange requests are made to them. They are not making decisions here, they have quite strict instructions. It is better to be clearly reminded where their responsibilities and abilities end; rather than to be expecting something impossible.

However, the list of 'we can' is quite short. Certainly, a good friend would probably do more.

"Sadly, in the last 12 months, there were 314 reported deaths and 204 cases of Britons in hospital which were notified to us in Thailand. As a proportion of the total numbers of citizens in the country, these are amongst the highest in the world." -- Asif Ahmad, HM Ambassador, UK

... well ... the Ambassador makes clear one point ... Thailand is not the safe place the TAT portrays it in their glowing advertising campaigns ... thank you Mr. Ambassador for being forthright on what Thailand is and is not as a tourist destination.

... Thailand has a place for tourism ... similar to 3rd world travel ... more for adventure tourists, than for families.

Of the 314 reported deaths I would like to see a breakdown, by old age, traffic accident, disease, "suicide".

Pretty pointless post really. Could have just said make sure you have medical insurance as we can't help you, but we'll give your family a call.

I agree with some posters about not expecting the state to help you, but our consular services around the world cost the tax payers a fortune so I would love to know exactly what they do ?

The embassies are not for helping stranded tourists, for sure. I always imagined they were for supporting business and helping make contacts to export from the UK. Some years ago, when I was working in China I discovered that they were reducing the commercial attachés rank and staff. Unless they reversed that, I really don’t know what they do!

Is it something to do with the internet causing a Global Village?

Edited by creck

The embassies are not for helping stranded tourists, for sure. I always imagined they were for supporting business and helping make contacts to export from the UK. Some years ago, when I was working in China I discovered that they were reducing the commercial attachés rank and staff. Unless they reversed that, I really don’t know what they do!

Is it something to do with the internet causing a Global Village?

Interesting point about the commercial role.Generally it's hard to believe that any enterprising corporation could learn much from a commercial attache at the Embassy.Some years ago I expressed a similar sentiment and it was pointed out to me the Commercial Counsellor in Bangkok had actually played a leading role in the match in Thailand between CP and TESCO.Point taken but doubt whether it happens that often.

To quote, "that fall outside the competence of our staff." Asif wrote.

Nice to know you have full faith in the 'competence' of your Embassy staff, when you have probably never observed shop floor level of dealings!

Maybe a little further training for your staff would be a good thing, so as to improve upon their incompetence of being able to help with anything 'outside' of their perceived or incompetent remit, as you highlighted? ?

-mel.

• Like 1

Of the 314 reported deaths I would like to see a breakdown, by old age, traffic accident, disease, "suicide".

Yes a breakdown of the causes of deaths ( and hospitalisations) would be interesting to see.Personally I am not surprised that the numbers are relatively high given the number of retirees living here and the number of tourists that I have come across who despite having never ridden a motorbike at home ( "they are too dangerous") seem quite happy to rent one here and ride around with no helmet and wearing shorts and flip flops whilst learning to ride "on the fly"

Is this an interview, or an open letter, or a phone conversation. This reads more as an email to embassy staff than an interview. Please don't tell me the Nation just copied and pasted a page from the Embassy website verbatim to their newspaper.

Can't you read? It states very clearly at the top that this is a letter to the Editor of the Nation.