Thai Flyers Get Fast Track

ezzra

" Autochannel, a new automated passport control for locals, is expected to speed up immigration lines at Suvarnabhumi and allow better allocation of officers"

Any one care to comment??

<snip>

Edited by craigt3365
Link to Bangkok Post removed.

Some detail from an allowed source:

Auto channel To Be available For Thai flyers Before Songkran

5/4/2012

Suvarnabhumi airport prepares to start using Autochannel, an automatic passport check system before Songkran festival, in an effort to speed up immigration lines, said Narongchai Tanadchangsaeng, Suvarnabhumi Airport's Deputy General Manager (Flying Officer).

In the beginning, the new system will be available from April 11 for Thai nationals with E-Passport only.

He also said that initially 8 machines will be installed at arrival immigration checkpoint and another 8 machines will be set up at departure immigration checkpoint.

The Autochannel will scan passports, fingerprinst and take photos of travellers’ face. If the passengers have never been blacklisted, they can pass through immediately.

Tourism and Sports Ministry's Permanent Secretary Suwat Sidthilaw expects that from April 11 onwards immigration department’s checking process will become faster, saying that previously,more than 40 percent of passengers can not check through on time because of delayed process.

Bangkok Timesaver

Some detail from an allowed source:

Auto channel To Be available For Thai flyers Before Songkran

5/4/2012

Suvarnabhumi airport prepares to start using Autochannel, an automatic passport check system before Songkran festival, in an effort to speed up immigration lines, said Narongchai Tanadchangsaeng, Suvarnabhumi Airport's Deputy General Manager (Flying Officer).

In the beginning, the new system will be available from April 11 for Thai nationals with E-Passport only.

He also said that initially 8 machines will be installed at arrival immigration checkpoint and another 8 machines will be set up at departure immigration checkpoint.

The Autochannel will scan passports, fingerprinst and take photos of travellers’ face. If the passengers have never been blacklisted, they can pass through immediately.

Tourism and Sports Ministry's Permanent Secretary Suwat Sidthilaw expects that from April 11 onwards immigration department’s checking process will become faster, saying that previously,more than 40 percent of passengers can not check through on time because of delayed process.

Bangkok Timesaver

Heathrow has 3 check in's like that on trial at passport control i used them this week and they were hit and a miss worked for some but not for others but maybe still quicker than your happy Thai passport officer.

The difference for me would be that I would be unable to join my partner in the Thai passport line when I enter the country.

I did read that it's eventually planned to allow foreigners who are resident in Thailand and/or frequent visitors to use the automatic system, though it didn't give a time scale.

The difference for me would be that I would be unable to join my partner in the Thai passport line when I enter the country.

I did read that it's eventually planned to allow foreigners who are resident in Thailand and/or frequent visitors to use the automatic system, though it didn't give a time scale.

Ye, will be a bummer for people travellling with their Thai spouses, I suppose she could always join u in the line, helping to extend it.

Not sure if the automated system will help reduce the queues. Look at the UK, they are scraping all the Iris scan machines after the olympics, that was an automated system that was supposed to reduce queueing but was deemed unsuccessfull and unreliable. I thought it was the business, nothing better than breezing past the queues at Heathrow and through in less than a minute.

Don't hold your breath on this system being rolled out to frequent farang visitors, wasn't there something similar mooted a few years back if you visited 5 or more times a year.

regards

I had a look at one of these machines at Suvarnabhumi on Tuesday morning while queueing at inbound immigration. It appears from the posted Thai language instructions that it will require the user to insert their passport for scanning, insert their boarding pass for scanning and then insert their TM.6 Arrival card for scanning. Only the newer version of the TM.6 with barcode will be accepted. I'm not generally a pessimist, but I must say I predict chaos and long delays in these automated queues when they are opened. Processing each passenger will take at least twice as long as at a manned booth:

1. Which way do I insert my passport again? I can't get my passport out of it's "Hello Kitty" themed passport cover and it won't fit in the slot.

2. Boarding pass? Was that the bit of paper I threw away as soon as I got on the plane?

3. My TM.6 arrival card is still stapled in my passport, so please excuse me while I take 15 minutes to remove the staple.

4. Whoops. Tore my TM.6 while removing the staple.

5. What's a barcode?

They will need 3 staff members on each queue helping passengers get through the automated gates.

On a more optimistic note, after 2 to 3 years, the 10% of the Thai travelling public that travels frequently will have figured it out and will glide smoothly through the process. The remaining 90% of first-time travel travellers will continue to need a manned booth.

then insert their TM.6 Arrival card for scanning. Only the newer version of the TM.6 with barcode will be accepted. I'm not generally a pessimist,

I thought they were doing away with those cards for Thai passport holders.

I use the automated immigration system in Hong Kong on a monthly basis, it is outstanding. I have never waited more than 5 minutes since joining the Frequent Visitor program there. If Thailand uses the same system it will be capable of processing people through very quickly. The wild-card in this comparison is that the Hong Kong traveler and the Thai traveler are operating with two very different traveling skill-sets. Hope it goes smoothly and promotes more efficiency.

I had a look at one of these machines at Suvarnabhumi on Tuesday morning while queueing at inbound immigration. It appears from the posted Thai language instructions that it will require the user to insert their passport for scanning, insert their boarding pass for scanning and then insert their TM.6 Arrival card for scanning. Only the newer version of the TM.6 with barcode will be accepted. I'm not generally a pessimist, but I must say I predict chaos and long delays in these automated queues when they are opened. Processing each passenger will take at least twice as long as at a manned booth:

1. Which way do I insert my passport again? I can't get my passport out of it's "Hello Kitty" themed passport cover and it won't fit in the slot.

2. Boarding pass? Was that the bit of paper I threw away as soon as I got on the plane?

3. My TM.6 arrival card is still stapled in my passport, so please excuse me while I take 15 minutes to remove the staple.

5. What's a barcode?

They will need 3 staff members on each queue helping passengers get through the automated gates.

On a more optimistic note, after 2 to 3 years, the 10% of the Thai travelling public that travels frequently will have figured it out and will glide smoothly through the process. The remaining 90% of first-time travel travellers will continue to need a manned booth.

A well stated post, and I have to admit I was laughing for several minutes after reading it. You captured the essence of things nicely. I am an engineer and deal in the test and evaluation of very complex things, and it is amazing sometimes how what someone assumes about how easy sometihg is easy or standard to do is really not so.

5. What's a barcode?

Slower than a manned booth, never mind on appearance it looks great...

Rather than buying a tried-and-tested solution, the authorities have gone for an unproven, locally made system.

Oh, and the systems are Thai-language only.

So obviously a lot of thought has gone into the machines' selection, and they're bound to be a rip-roaring success.

Rather than buying a tried-and-tested solution, the authorities have gone for an unproven, locally made system.

Oh, and the systems are Thai-language only.

So obviously a lot of thought has gone into the machines' selection, and they're bound to be a rip-roaring success.

They are for Thai passport holders. What language were you expecting?

• Like 1

There are plans to extend the use of the machines to non-Thai residents, so at a minimum I would also expect them to be capable of English too.

There are plans to extend the use of the machines to non-Thai residents, so at a minimum I would also expect them to be capable of English too.

Well...duh? Is there something giving you the impression that they won't program an English language instruction screen when/if the machines are ever opened for use by long-term residents? Some people are really scraping the bottom if the barrel looking for something to whinge about, when these machines represent a complete win-win situation for everyone.