Visa For Aussie Daughter Of A Thai Citizen

I am looking to relocate back to take care of my father in Thailand permanently at the end of this year and would like to know what is the best visa to apply for. I am an Australian Citizen (was born a Thai) and my father is still a Thai Citizen. Thanks.

You should have a Thai passport and use that for entry so no visa is required. You did not renounce your Thai citizenship did you? If you did there is a method to obtain again but if it is just the normal dual citizenship question you can obtain and use a Thai passport.

If you do not have Thai passport or time to obtain just take proof of father being Thai to obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa and you can easily extend that one year at a time inside Thailand for 1,900 baht each time. But you would have to make 90 day address reports using that method.

Per above, unless you specifically renounced Thai citizenship at the Thai embassy you are still a Thai national. Both countries allow for dual nationality.

Not nowing your specifics, contact the Thai embassy about getting a (new) Thai passport. Since you plan to relocate at the end of the year, you will have plenty of time to arrange for your Thai passport.

licklips.gif If you were born from a Thai father, you can be a dual Aussie Thai National and get a Thai passport based on your father's nationality as a Thai.

Assuming you don't have that Thai passport yet, and need a visa you could probably qualify for a non immigrant O visa based on the need to support your father in Thailand. (visiting/supporting relatives in Thailand)

Contact the nearest Thai consulate to you and explain the situation and why you need that visa. You will have to submit some documents as proof which will probably be (at a minimum).

1. Birth certificate showing you as daughter of your Thai father.

2. Copy of your Thai father's Thai I.D. card....photo copy both sides (front and back). Both copies should be signed by your father.

3. Letter from your father explaining why you are needed in Thailand and requesting they issue you a visa. Again signed by him.

4. (Probably) photo copy of his house registration book...to verify he lives in Thailand . Sign that copy too.

5. Your Aussie passport must be valid for minimum of 6 months from date of application for that visa.

6. And of course, the visa applicztion form and the $90 Aussie dollar fee.

But first, call the nearest Thai consulate and tallk to them and get the info striaght from them as to exactly what they want you to provide them.

One small advantage for you as a female...there shouldn't be any financial requirements for you...where males might need to show bank statements to verify ability to support themselves while livimg in Thailand.

But as I said, call the nearest Thai consulate first, and get the latest information straight from them.

Be aware...much of the information on the Thai consulate's on-line sites is intended for Aussie males going to Thailand to live with their Thai wives/girlfriends. As a female...you may a bit of a rarity for the Thai consulate to deal with. That might confuse them at first (but they'll get over it).

There's also a ladies sub-forum topic on this TV forum...so if and when you do get that visa you might check in there and introduce yourself to learn about life in Thaialnd from a female perspective of foriegners actually living here.

licklips.gif

licklips.gif

I

One small advantage for you as a female...there shouldn't be any financial requirements for you...where males might need to show bank statements to verify ability to support themselves while livimg in Thailand.

That only applies to foreign woman married to a Thai husband.

Missymoo,

Look at post number 4. That is probably the easiest way for you to go if you don't get a Thai passport, which is obviously the easiest.

If you were not Thai, then you would want to take a look at #6.

Terry

Thanks for all your responses everyone and sorry I didn't give enough information. I was born in Thailand to Thai parents but grew up in Australia and eventually took on Aust citizenship and passport a number of years ago.

At the time, there was no such thing as a dual citizenship so I had to give up my Thai Nationality and passport - I didn't realise that this has changed?? I will certainly call the consulate and get more info as I do not want to start my new life in Thailand as an illegal immigrant. :D

Also, what is the deal with owning land or inheriting land/money from my Thai parents and relatives? Will there be issues in the future because I am a "foreigner"? I do not want to give up my Australian citizenship ever as once my father passes (God forbid this doesn't happen anytime soon), I am hoping to return to live my life Australia.

Check if you actually gave up your Thai nationality. It is something that only can be done with approval of the Thai minister of interior and doesn't happen often. If you did gave up your Thai nationality, there is a relatively easy way to regain it.

As others have said, unless you specifically applied to renounce your Thai citizenship to the Minister of Interior in Thailand, and that renunciation was approved and printed in the Royal Gazette, then you are still a Thai citizen.

No if's, and no but's.

Just out of interest though, when did you become an Australian citizen?

• 2 weeks later...

Having just gone through the process of getting my Thai ID card (born in Thailand, left Thailand for Aust as a child on Thai passport, got Aust citizenship, no Thai ID card, both parents have died) it's can be a pretty harrowing experience (lot of documents to prove my identity plus 3 relatives to vouch for me in person).

In your case, Missymoo, as your father is still alive, I suggest you just get a 60 day tourist visa to enter Thailand. While here, get together the following documents for the purpose of getting a Thai ID card so you can make plans to stay on a more permanent basis without the need for a VISA at all.

1. Birth certificate showing you as daughter of your Thai father (if your father does not have this, go to the Gov't service centre in the Amphoe where you were born and get a certified copy)

2. Take your father + another close relative (to vouch for you) to the Govt service centre in the Amphoe where he lives now (hopefully he is up to it). Make a copy of your father's and relative's Thai I.D. cards....photo copy both sides (front and back). Both copies should be signed.

4. Take the house registration book and a photo copy of his house registration book...to verify he lives in Thailand . He signs that copy too.

5. Your Aussie passports. Copy all pages and you sign all pages.

6. Three passport size photos of you.

There will be questions why you don't have a Thai ID and just say you never had one since leaving Thailand (I think they only issue them when you are 16 years of age). Fill in the ID application form - you, your father and relatives will be interviewed to confirm the relationship. The local officer at the Amphoe may mention or confirm your dual citizenship but it's not a problem as many Thais now hold dual citizenship. You should received the new ID within about 1-2 hours if all goes well. The fees for this is minor.

Once you have your Thai ID, register yourself into your father's address (done at the same place). Then go to Ministry of Foreign Affairs office at 123 Chaeng Wattana Road,Laksi, Bangkok and apply for the passport (4 photos), pay the fee. In a few days pick up your Thai passport.

Leave Thailand when your 60 day visa is up using your Aussie passport. Just go over the border - Malaysia, Lao etc using a cheap flight or train/bus. Reenter using your Thai passport and you can stay as long as you like.

Good luck!

Edited by lopburi3

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I've had a couple of requests to give an update on this topic. I've contacted the Thai Consulate in Australia recently and they have advised me that I am indeed still a Thai citizen despite me I taken on Australian citizenship. A few of the people on here were right that I didn't renounce my citizenship as it would have had to be done with the Minister of Interior. I can just apply for another Thai visa (that I lost) by using my house registration book and citizen ID (which I also need to get). Hope this will help others that may in a similar situation and thank you all once again for your comments.

• 10 months later...

You should have a Thai passport and use that for entry so no visa is required. You did not renounce your Thai citizenship did you? If you did there is a method to obtain again but if it is just the normal dual citizenship question you can obtain and use a Thai passport.

I had to renounce my Thai citizenship when I left Thailand at the age of 18 back in 1989. My father is American and my mother is Thai. Both are still alive. I want to move back to Thailand to live permanently. It sure would be nice to get my Thai citizenship back without losing my American citizenship (just in case).

Any help?

I had to renounce my Thai citizenship when I left Thailand at the age of 18 back in 1989. My father is American and my mother is Thai. Both are still alive. I want to move back to Thailand to live permanently. It sure would be nice to get my Thai citizenship back without losing my American citizenship (just in case).

Any help?

I think your question has been answered in this topic. I suspect you still have Thai citizenship.

You would not loose your US citizenship.

Do you have a copy of your birth certificate? Does you mother have her house book?

Thanks for all your responses everyone and sorry I didn't give enough information. I was born in Thailand to Thai parents but grew up in Australia and eventually took on Aust citizenship and passport a number of years ago.

At the time, there was no such thing as a dual citizenship so I had to give up my Thai Nationality and passport - I didn't realise that this has changed?? I will certainly call the consulate and get more info as I do not want to start my new life in Thailand as an illegal immigrant. biggrin.png

Also, what is the deal with owning land or inheriting land/money from my Thai parents and relatives? Will there be issues in the future because I am a "foreigner"? I do not want to give up my Australian citizenship ever as once my father passes (God forbid this doesn't happen anytime soon), I am hoping to return to live my life Australia.

The dual citizenship regulations to obtain Australian citizenship changed in 2002, you are now permitted dual Australian/Thai citizenship

Any help?

Per this Thai Embassy PDF document - you apply to Consul and the Consulate in LA is likely where you should contact (there is an honorary Consulate in Portland but do not believe they can provide much more than the below PDF but may be able to help in some way).

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/doc/info/info_migration.pdf

3. Whether a person of Thai nationality who has renounced his/her nationality can re-apply
for Thai citizenship?
A person is entitled to apply for recovery of Thai citizenship by filing an application to the
Consul.

At the time, there was no such thing as a dual citizenship so I had to give up my Thai Nationality and passport - I didn't realise that this has changed?? I will certainly call the consulate and get more info as I do not want to start my new life in Thailand as an illegal immigrant. biggrin.png

The dual citizenship regulations to obtain Australian citizenship changed in 2002, you are now permitted dual Australian/Thai citizenship

Pre-2002 you were always allowed to retain your foreign citizenship along side your new Australian citizenship. Pre-2002, you were also allowed to be born with Australian citizenship and also hold whatever other citizenship(s) you were entilted to. I am an example of that latter one.

All that 2002 changed effectively was that it got rid of the situation that if you were an Australian citizen and voluntarily naturalisde (note voluntarily) as another citizen, then you'd automatically lose your Australian citizenship. The most famous case of course being Rupert Murdoch. All that has been done away with.

Edited by samran

Any help?

Unless you made a formal renounciation and that was printed in the Royal Gazette, then you still are a Thai citizen.

I suspect also it would have been impossible for you to have renounced when you were 18. The age of majority is 20, and as far as I can remember, renounciation by minors was not allowed.

Pre-2002 you were always allowed to retain your foreign citizenship along side your new Australian citizenship. Pre-2002, you were also allowed to be born with Australian citizenship and also hold whatever other citizenship(s) you were entilted to. I am an example of that latter one.

All that 2002 changed effectively was that it got rid of the situation that if you were an Australian citizen and voluntarily naturalisde (note voluntarily) as another citizen, then you'd automatically lose your Australian citizenship. The most famous case of course being Rupert Murdoch. All that has been done away with.

You are correct, my error