Car Video Cameras

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the Garmin 2575 which costs 9900baht. The video camera (720p) cost an additional 3000baht that comes with an 8gb SD card.

http://www.gpssociet...egory=PND&ID=12

The video camera (Driving Recorder as Garmin calls it) for the 2575 costs 3900 THB.

http://eaglegps.co.th/index.php/lang-en/products/accessories/nuvi?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=110&category_id=8

Here is a video of how it looks

Here an example Video

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Can you confirm that the 2000 Thb camera is still working well and that it's enough ?

Does it use SDCARD ? I think a eye-fi WIFI sd card would be good to upload videos to computer automatically.

Did you by the cam at Pattaya or BKK ?

Thanks.

Hello,

Can you confirm that the 2000 Thb camera is still working well and that it's enough ?

Does it use SDCARD ? I think a eye-fi WIFI sd card would be good to upload videos to computer automatically.

Did you by the cam at Pattaya or BKK ?

Thanks.

I bought my video from Pantip - HD DVR portable DVR with 2.5 inch screen extra for SD card 16GB. from a good shop there 1 year guarantee. cost me 1,000 baht, he had the same with a socket for HD lead to plug into TV, only differeance but cost 2,000 baht.

seems to work ok, but you need to set it up right? loop record, and HD sreen size, recording times, etc but otherwise ok, it just needs getting use to. I had a problem a few days after, with someone cutting me up, he stopped as well. I just talked to him and said smile please you are on camera!!!! he quickly sped away!. and i had all the details, which i download to my computer which is enough for me.

• 4 months later...

Of course no need to purchase 2 car cameras for the front and back, there are many dual-lens car black box which can record interior and exterior of the car at the same time, I am using one from S.WILL company like this model: http://www.szswill.com/car-dvr-camera/car-black-box-cvr007.html

It comes with sticker or suckers for you to mount the car camera on the windshield, very easy installation.

carcamera01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't gone OTT on a driver cam, no need for GPS or a second camera covering my arse (their problem if they like hiding under my tailgate) as it's only to capture events where one may be challenged as to what exactly happened.... like yesterday afternoon's near-miss in Udon Thani.

Edited by NanLaew

I posted in this thread some time ago and also started another thread where as I made the police lose face because I had a car camera and they couldnt extort me.

Pricesely 1 month ago I was involved in an accident in which a girl was killed on her motorbike.

I had never anticipated how useful this camera was in prevent me from being taken to the cleaners so to speak.

I was not at fault and the footage from the camera was used on CH7 who made a big thing of it.

As soon as the accident happened I played the footage back so that the police and everyone who turned up with camcorders could see that I was an innocent party.

I will not post the full news report and the full footage that was leaked by someone I suspect in my insurance company, as I do not want to be identified, but a clip used by channel 7 can be seen below..

(They cut it, speeded it up and added false engine noise for drama effect)

The footage is not very nice, but it proved how valuable this camera was too me and saved from what would have been without doubt have been my fault, this is Thailand of course.

Even though I was the secondary vehicle to impact the poor girl, the girls family was of course eager to get 300K out of me.. The police told them that because of the video evidence and news coverage that there is no under hand dealings possible here, it it must all be done by the book.

It was a horrible experience naturally, I'm still not over it, and don't really want to talk about it, but if this post heps just one person avoid being exploited in future, it would have been worth it. I just want to re-enforce how valuable these cameras can be for us farangs. (especially those who say how they are a waste of time)

I used a lawyer when reporting back to police etc.. and he confirmed that if it wasnt for this camera that my life would be very difficult right now with courts etc..

Edited by Boo
video link removed.

I haven't gone OTT on a driver cam, no need for GPS or a second camera covering my arse (their problem if they like hiding under my tailgate) as it's only to capture events where one may be challenged as to what exactly happened.... like yesterday afternoon's near-miss in Udon Thani.

That would have been your fault if crashed.

Speeding is slow lane, red captiva driver never could see you coming. If it was me in the captiva I would def come after ya lol

Thanks for sharing your story Satcommlee, that's not a nice video indeed to watch indeed. I believe the first driver was also not doing anything wrong, as the girl seemed to be not looking at all and just crossed the road like nobody is coming. Sadly she had to pay her life with it.

How did it end up with the first car driver? If they can't point at you I'm sure they will point at the driver of the other car :/

Anyways, wish you all strength to overcome such traumatic event, take care.

Speeding is slow lane, red captiva driver never could see you coming. If it was me in the captiva I would def come after ya lol

I concur. Not slowing down at the approach of a u-turn, most definitely is a no-no.

Thanks for sharing your story Satcommlee, that's not a nice video indeed to watch indeed. I believe the first driver was also not doing anything wrong, as the girl seemed to be not looking at all and just crossed the road like nobody is coming. Sadly she had to pay her life with it.

How did it end up with the first car driver? If they can't point at you I'm sure they will point at the driver of the other car :/

The driver of the first car had no insurance not even the 600 baht compulsory insurance, it didnt work out so well for him, I dont want to divulge too much info but it cost him dearly as should the police decide to take it to court he would not have had the bail money.. I was fully insured and backed by first class insurance..

CH7 deliberately cut the clip not to show the unfortunate girl, cutting up the white car trying to do an illegal u-turn across 3 lanes.

Edited by Satcommlee

The driver of the first car had no insurance not even the 600 baht compulsory insurance, it didnt work out so well for him, I dont want to divulge too much info but it cost him dearly as should the police decide to take it to court he would not have had the bail money.. I was fully insured and backed by first class insurance..

CH7 deliberately cut the clip not to show the unfortunate girl, cutting up the white car trying to do an illegal u-turn across 3 lanes.

Hmm... That's why I always try to watch out for idiots trying something stupid at intersections or u-turns (my foot is on the brake pedal). A question: I cannot see the sides, but I guess there were cars on both sides or were those lanes empty? I take it you did not have the time to swerve right or left? Was just wondering what I would have tried doing if I were in your spot.

I also noticed how thai pedestrians and drivers have a VERY bad sense of timing and appreciating distances and speed. This seems to be the case in this unfortunate happening.

Edited by freemindxs

I concur. Not slowing down at the approach of a u-turn, most definitely is a no-no.
Interesting views; you should apply for the MiB.

The wide-angle lenses in these cameras always give an illusion of speeding. I pass this u-turn daily at the same time doing around 40 kph. The traffic always slows down in the 'fast lane' since there's a filter lane for cars headed the same way as I was to do a u-turn as well.

So, I had slowed down and had already moved to the third (slow?) lane to avoid the u-turning traffic as mentioned above. Most vehicles turning into my direction of flow only need two lanes to complete their turn when they use their filter lane. If you use the pause button carefully, you see that the Captiva didn't wait their turn in the filter lane but commenced their turn from the second lane (for through traffic) and swung wider than everyone else, effectively taking 5 lanes to do their u-turn. At 12 seconds, you can just see the rear of the gold pickup that was inside of him, doing the u-turn legally. The Captiva driver was doing the typically Thai 'I can't wait' and making an illegal u-turn, as was the motorcycle following him.

They raced away from me but I didn't bother to chase them down. However, I came alongside them at the traffic lights at the next intersection and it was a very sweet moment for me.

Thanks for your attention.

I just bought one of these, a cheap 2000 Baht unit that sits in front of my rear view mirror but they don't seem to have a wide enough angle to be of that much use (mine is 120 degree), I bought it for the same reasons as you.

Mine does not have GPS, so does not record speed.

I would like to hear from any BM's that have shown a traffic cop that they were not speeding on one of these things and what the reaction was, I may upgrade.

But if some idiot on a bike comes out of a junction without looking and you hit them or wrong way down a one-way street, I think it could be invaluable.

To quote my own post from Apr 9th 2012, My accident happened 1 year later... It was almost prophetic! That is exactly what happened!

Edited by Satcommlee

The wide-angle lenses in these cameras always give an illusion of speeding. I pass this u-turn daily at the same time doing around 40 kph. The traffic always slows down in the 'fast lane' since there's a filter lane for cars headed the same way as I was to do a u-turn as well.

So, I had slowed down and had already moved to the third (slow?) lane to avoid the u-turning traffic as mentioned above. Most vehicles turning into my direction of flow only need two lanes to complete their turn when they use their filter lane. If you use the pause button carefully, you see that the Captiva didn't wait their turn in the filter lane but commenced their turn from the second lane (for through traffic) and swung wider than everyone else, effectively taking 5 lanes to do their u-turn. At 12 seconds, you can just see the rear of the gold pickup that was inside of him, doing the u-turn legally. The Captiva driver was doing the typically Thai 'I can't wait' and making an illegal u-turn, as was the motorcycle following him.

They raced away from me but I didn't bother to chase them down. However, I came alongside them at the traffic lights at the next intersection and it was a very sweet moment for me.

No offense but that Captiva was visibly heading into your path for at least 3 seconds before you took evasive action. Maybe you need to jack up the seat so your eyes are at the same height as the dashcam? ;)

No offense but that Captiva was visibly heading into your path for at least 3 seconds before you took evasive action. Maybe you need to jack up the seat so your eyes are at the same height as the dashcam? wink.png

No offense taken. The Captiva suddenly accelerated into my right of way when the traffic to my immediate right slowed down in the face of his aggressive maneuver. Traffic to my far right were in the filter lane for their u-turn.

Had I been speeding, he would have T-boned me as he completed an illegal u-turn. If I had been in the lane to my right, I may have T-boned him as he completed his illegal u-turn. The lane to my left (near side) had parked vehicles which is why I swerved left and sharp right.

I am 6'4" and the seat height is adjusted accordingly (all the way down!) so no chance of this driver slouching. The drivers view is about 2" lower than the camera. That's how I saw and managed to avoid the <deleted>.

As you know, Thai drivers don't follow any Highway Code. It is "me first and bugger the consequences" especially at rush hour. I had moved to the left and slowed down in anticipation of some idiocy. It worked!

I must say the ABS worked brilliant.

The Captiva suddenly accelerated into my right of way when the traffic to my immediate right slowed down in the face of his aggressive maneuver.

Yes you have legal right of way, but there's a common mantra in Thailand: "Share the road". At busy u-turns like this, it's quite normal for someone who has been waiting some time to edge their way out. The way I see it, as he was already well into the fast lane, so his/her intentions were pretty clear.

Not saying they shouldn't have watched you a bit closer to see if you were going to slow down or not either though - so perhaps a case of a little too much arrogance* on both sides?

*Sorry for the harsh word, can't think of something softer with a similar meaning right now ;)

Over reacting, just an everyday maneuver here. It does scare newbie or low Km ferangs though.

And that's why we have every day more deaths on the roads in Thailand. No need to be a "low km farang" for calling that a close call.

Its mainly drivers of those Captiva type things that pull those moves. The rest are pulled by dopey folks. It was nothing like a close call to me,slow on reactoin on Camers car drivers part.Those turns are marked in advance so a experianced driver is ready for SUV Clowns, and Old Nops Mellon Cart.w00t.gif .

The Captiva suddenly accelerated into my right of way when the traffic to my immediate right slowed down in the face of his aggressive maneuver.

Yes you have legal right of way, but there's a common mantra in Thailand: "Share the road". At busy u-turns like this, it's quite normal for someone who has been waiting some time to edge their way out. The way I see it, as he was already well into the fast lane, so his/her intentions were pretty clear.

Not saying they shouldn't have watched you a bit closer to see if you were going to slow down or not either though - so perhaps a case of a little too much arrogance* on both sides?

*Sorry for the harsh word, can't think of something softer with a similar meaning right now wink.png

Once again, no offense taken.

As I stated earlier, I pass this u-turn twice daily and even use it myself. Yes, I agree that edging your nose in is a definite Thai driving habit. Do it myself when it suits me.

Normally when passing this way, I stay in the 'fast' lane, turn on the headlights and being in a higher riding pickup, arrogantly and rudely maintain my right-of-way. Sometimes I can't be arsed and let them try and out-face each other and eventually crawl through as slow as possible just to wind them all up.

In this instance, I admit that slowing down and moving as far from the hazard as possible (something to so with farang logic) was the first time I had attempted the path of least resistance. It almost didn't work!

Having said that, despite the dodge and weave before the ABS assisted stop (half-hoping the <deleted> would eat my tailpipe), I am happy to report that I didn't spill a single drop of beer.

So the truth is Out !!.Id get annoyed if someone nearly made my Beer Spill Over.drunk.gif .

RE Nan:

The audio didn't make it sound like a near miss. Did you make no contact at all with the red car.

RE hansje:

Are you saying the driver in the red car was correct to cut off the poster and that you'd expect him to be a fault? I always thought turns should only be made when it's safe to do so. Making a turn without being able to see oncoming traffic doesn't seem safe to me.

RE Nan:

The audio didn't make it sound like a near miss. Did you make no contact at all with the red car.

RE hansje:

Are you saying the driver in the red car was correct to cut off the poster and that you'd expect him to be a fault? I always thought turns should only be made when it's safe to do so. Making a turn without being able to see oncoming traffic doesn't seem safe to me.

There was no contact but it was really close call. The clunk was my foot hitting the brake pedal and the grinding sound you hear, along with the camera shake, was the ABS.

The Captiva did make an unsafe vehicle movement by deciding to 'shoot the gap' after already stopping 2 lanes of straight-ahead traffic. One thing I note with local drivers is their reluctance to get anywhere near full-lock when they really need it like when (they do their version of) parking. This driver planted the foot and shot across 3 lanes onto my side. I reckon they could have easily stayed within the 2 lanes, like most others manage to do, but maybe driver inexperience didn't allow that front-end steering tends to straighten out under torque and they ended up in my lane? Maybe they only had one hand locked palm-up under the spoke of the steering wheel which seems the common way here of turning one-handed.... while texting with the other. Hard to see inside with that mirror-finish window tint.

Edited by NanLaew

There was no contact but it was really close call. The clunk was my foot hitting the brake pedal and the grinding sound you hear, along with the camera shake, was the ABS.

The Captiva did make an unsafe vehicle movement by deciding to 'shoot the gap' after already stopping 2 lanes of straight-ahead traffic. One thing I note with local drivers is their reluctance to get anywhere near full-lock when they really need it like when (they do their version of) parking. This driver planted the foot and shot across 3 lanes onto my side. I reckon they could have easily stayed within the 2 lanes, like most others manage to do, but maybe driver inexperience didn't allow that front-end steering tends to straighten out under torque and they ended up in my lane? Maybe they only had one hand locked palm-up under the spoke of the steering wheel which seems the common way here of turning one-handed.... while texting with the other. Hard to see inside with that mirror-finish window tint.

NL how did you edit out the cursing? That would've been a F C moment in my truck biggrin.png

What model camera is that? Looks OK

NL how did you edit out the cursing? That would've been a F C moment in my truck biggrin.png

What model camera is that? Looks OK

LOL. Actually I edited this clip just as my window was going down to give the other driver some advice along with some signing in case they were deaf.

Here's the box the camera came in. No brand name as such.

post-35874-0-69605300-1370063991_thumb.j

Edited by NanLaew