Did Thaksin Meet Insurgents? Yes He Did, Many Sources Say

webfact

The Nation has learned some details of the "meeting", in which Thaksin supposedly stopped short of apologising but expressed regret for some of the violent incidents carried out by authorities during his administration.

"Sorry, seems to be the hardest word".

I find it absolutely ridiculous how even in this context the idea of whether face is lost or gained is placed so high in the article. How does one express regret without saying "sorry"?

Surely you have been in Asia long enough to understand the concept?japan has expressed regret for its atrocities in Korea dating from the early 1900's. Today South Korea and Japan work together. Japan has expressed regret to China for its WWII war atrocities, and still manages to co-operate with China. as well, it has never apologized for its horrific treatment of Australians, canadians, Dutch and UK nationals following the capture of HKG and SIN and yet these countries love Japan. The US never apologized for its used of toxic chemicals in Vietnam, nor the Vietnamese apologized for torturing US POWS, and today they are in love mode. Only Canada has apologized for its treatment of Chinese immigrants and Japanese detainees in WWI,I and that didn't do much for its foreign relations. In asia, one expresses regret, and doesn't apologize. There is a different context for apologies.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leaving the bombing issue aside for the moment, I can certainly understand Thaksin wanting to meet with some of the southern insurgents...

After all, he was just filling in as a kind of shadow Prime Minister and Foreign Minister for the eminently absent people nominally filling those positions at present.

BTW, The Nation article is not just hearsay. It includes a quote from at least one unnamed party who claims to have been at the meeting with Thaksin in person, along with the various other supporting claims.

"I thought he [Thaksin] was sincere with his gesture," said one exiled separatist who was at the meeting. "But this conflict is beyond the control of one man."

I'm hoping someone there happened to be using their mobile phone camera that day...

Well that is the proof that everyone has been looking for- got him banged to rights now.

Surely in this day and age, someone, somewhere must have got a photo of him wherever he was??? surely???

According to the democrats there is a picture of him with the insurgents on the PULO Website. Except, there isn't. Apparently someone we can't mention because he's not part of this discussion has proof that Thaksin has met with insurgents but it won't be published, only for private viewing, apparently.

Why private only? Surely it would be in the Democrats interest to circulate it as widely as possible? Maybe I am missing something here.

He is bluffing. I don't think the hard core Wahhabi hardliners would talk to him. They have their own goals, namely the establishment of a worldwide Emirate that will bring back the "Rule of the Rightly-guided" and are not interested in talks that will only promote a particular politician's agenda.

Partially correct. Thailand needs peace in the south. it is not a particular politician's agenda as the Democrts sent emissaries to secretly talk with the insurgents. The military junta also sent out feelers. This isn't about a Thaksin agenda, as all fo the Thai "ruling class" are on the same page. Perhaps it is group think, perhaps it is cultural, but they all seem to have the same approach. I can't disagree with your other points as I think you are right.

I have seldom seen the identity of Southern insurgents specific to organizational affiliation in the media. It is not that this hasn't happened, it is just that I have never seen it. But here it is done liberally, suspiciously so, as it certainly serves to advance the agenda of anti-Thaksism by alleged association. I question that it is a sincere concern about such alleged fraternity, as opposed to a "get Thaksin' agenda.

From all of your posts there is a lot you have never seen just dreamed up.

Now you won't even allow the idea that Thaksin did try to ease the situation in Thailand. That puts you on the evil Thaksin side.

For him to have done it and had no positive result would be to lose face and that is some thing that can never happen to a Thai so of course he would deny it. If he had been able to make a little progress he would have had the head lines in every Thai news paper and English paper in Thailand headlining Thaksin gets concessions from Muslim terrorists.

Alas no change.

What changed your mind to think Thaksin would not try to help Thailand.

Munch as I dislike the man I am not as eager as you to put him down.

Unlike you I was here when the red shirts started to become active and I supported them until they showed their true color's by arming them self's and illegally kidnapping a part of Bangkok and putting small business men out of business with out a word of regret.

It's well worth considering that Mr Abhisit doesn't have cronies buy his votes all the way from Korat to Nong Khai also.

The number of votes for Thaksin may well have out-weighed those of Abhisit, but when one considers the true validity of 'unbought' villagers' votes, then in a fair duel Mr Abhisit would win hands down, in any true and unbent voting environment.

-mel.

perhaps you need to check your facts a little bit more, I live in the South and vote buying by the democrats was rife during the last election, people been offered 1000 baht to sway their decicion toward a democrat 'X'. Although the Nation wants you to believe that the current government are the vote buyers, it is simply not true, I have seen it with my own eyes. They are all at it trust me.

• Like 1

The Nation has learned some details of the "meeting", in which Thaksin supposedly stopped short of apologising but expressed regret for some of the violent incidents carried out by authorities during his administration.

I find it absolutely ridiculous how even in this context the idea of whether face is lost or gained is placed so high in the article. How does one express regret without saying "sorry"?

Surely you have been in Asia long enough to understand the concept?japan has expressed regret for its atrocities in Korea dating from the early 1900's. Today South Korea and Japan work together. Japan has expressed regret to China for its WWII war atrocities, and still manages to co-operate with China. as well, it has never apologized for its horrific treatment of Australians, canadians, Dutch and UK nationals following the capture of HKG and SIN and yet these countries love Japan. The US never apologized for its used of toxic chemicals in Vietnam, nor the Vietnamese apologized for torturing US POWS, and today they are in love mode. Only Canada has apologized for its treatment of Chinese immigrants and Japanese detainees in WWI,I and that didn't do much for its foreign relations. In asia, one expresses regret, and doesn't apologize. There is a different context for apologies.

No I have, I just found it interesting that the opening statement of the English language version of this story still sees fit to put the issue with such prominence, because no matter how you dress it in English it sounds rather preposterous.

"I would like to come here to day to express regret for what happened"

"Are you sorry for it?"

"No, I am extremely regretful"

"So you aren't sorry"

"Not in a real sense, just tinged with regret"

You go to negotiate with a bunch of people, as a private individual, who doesn't represent the country officially, and you still can't find a way to say the word "Sorry". Kor tort, but I would think that in this situation, as a private individual, you can say "Sorry", and if the idea is to open dialogue, it tends to be a pretty good starting point. But then as you say, this is Asia, and sorry isn't a clear word to say, and it has very serious meanings and consequences, but if you want to stop innocent people being blown up, ordinarily one could swallow one's pride for a second and say sorry.

But of course, that might make you lose face, but may also mean that you don't get the negotiated result you want either. Would be interesting if the terrorists came out and said, "All we want is a public SORRY on TV at 6pm for what happened and we put down our guns", could anyone handle actually saying it.

No I have, I just found it interesting that the opening statement of the English language version of this story still sees fit to put the issue with such prominence, because no matter how you dress it in English it sounds rather preposterous.

"I would like to come here to day to express regret for what happened"

"Are you sorry for it?"

"No, I am extremely regretful"

"So you aren't sorry"

"Not in a real sense, just tinged with regret"

You go to negotiate with a bunch of people, as a private individual, who doesn't represent the country officially, and you still can't find a way to say the word "Sorry". Kor tort, but I would think that in this situation, as a private individual, you can say "Sorry", and if the idea is to open dialogue, it tends to be a pretty good starting point. But then as you say, this is Asia, and sorry isn't a clear word to say, and it has very serious meanings and consequences, but if you want to stop innocent people being blown up, ordinarily one could swallow one's pride for a second and say sorry.

But of course, that might make you lose face, but may also mean that you don't get the negotiated result you want either. Would be interesting if the terrorists came out and said, "All we want is a public SORRY on TV at 6pm for what happened and we put down our guns", could anyone handle actually saying it.

To be "fair", last month, Prayuth Chan-Ocha did "apologise" on behalf of the army for "its lack of understanding and care" with regard to the Krue Se and Tak Bai incidents.

However he then went on to say that there would be no seperation or self rule given to the three provinces as it would be against the constitution. This interfering in what is a political situation would hardly have helped.

I'm not sure when he was appointed government spokesman.

Edited by phiphidon

Its not like Thaksin has never lied before. You cant believe anything that comes out of that mouth.

Any Muslim groups that have beef with him, have an excellent opportunity to take him out while abroad in Dubai. But no one has, and it makes you wonder why.

Khun T has a group of bodyguards to protect him and his 16yr old girlfriend while they wander the streets of Dubai and elsewhere.

This may have been a bum move but in the "reported" view of one observer. "he seemed sincere". Just suppose he had had a measure of success, would the anti-Thaksin mob still revile him, accuse him of meddling? I think so, it has become a conditioned reflex. In many ways he is a good choice, many of the problems started during his "watch". At the same time he has many important connections with the Muslim community in the Middle East. Unfortunately it is no longer just an insurgency, it has also become a turf war amongst criminals. As such the solution needs to be an iron fist and a velvet glove, almost impossible to achieve.

Many sources say that the owners of the Nation are secretly sleeping with Prayuth, they do so in one bed. Unfortunatey nobody is willing to come forward and the sources stay secret, what means that it is called Gossip and completely nonsense.

Please stay out of this thread with your logic. This thread is exclusively for slating Thaksin on the basis of 'unnamed sources','insiders', 'people close to the insurgents'.

If this story is true, why the hell can some of these 'sources' provide a picture, a place or any other piece of information which lends any credibility to it?

• Like 1

"I thought he [Thaksin] was sincere with his gesture," said one exiled separatist who was at the meeting. "But this conflict is beyond the control of one man."

Thaksin will definitely not like to hear this. He is under the impression that there is nothing he can't do

shock horror could k taksin being telling untruths and he is a Buddhist

Thaksin will definitely not like to hear this. He is under the impression that there is nothing he can't do

You mean under the impression that it is nothing (and nobody) he cannot buy ...

Once one can raise their sights beyond this media din of anti-Thaksism, there is possibly another angle worth considering. It cannot be argued that Mr. T. represents the electoral majority in Thailand.....right?....Electoral results of the past, including as recently as last year with which he was closely associated, provide irrefutable evidence of it...... Mr. Abhisit does not have comparable credentials........................ Given those facts, and should these anti-Thaksin innuendoes regarding attempts to affect the Southern insurgency be correct.....What would be wrong with that? Just compare the validity of a Thaksin in such discussions compared to any other Thai politician, with perhaps the exception of Ms. Y, and one can understand the cogency of it all................ So when one looks beyond all the media noise and smoke, this is worth considering.........As for those who would suggest that the recent Bangkok bombings have a relationship to all of this, those would be the same people who would be expected to blame Thaksin for an earthquake in Timbuktu.

And was he or was he not responsible for the uprising by the Red Shirt Mob attack of the ASEAN meetings in Pattaya in 2009 or for the 2010 stranglehold and subsequent burning of Bangkok?

• Like 1

According to the democrats there is a picture of him with the insurgents on the PULO Website. Except, there isn't. Apparently someone we can't mention because he's not part of this discussion has proof that Thaksin has met with insurgents but it won't be published, only for private viewing, apparently.

The PULO is not anymore in the big picture. It has been overrun by movements that have a much harder line and that strike and leave few clues. Even the Thai military are at a loss. Before they knew the militants, they had flags, they had bases, they made communiques. Movements like the PULO had separatist goals and wanted to establish a southern Malay-speaking nation.

Now the Thai military doesn't know who the militants are.They are faceless hard liners, very religious, without nationalist goals, and very murderous. Since they don't care about a southern non-Thai nation, they don't mind leaving the place totally scorched. Taksin is used to buy everything but he cannot buy the current Southern militants. You cannot buy fanatics who have a very narrow goal.

I don't believe Thaksin has something to do with the bloody bombings in Songkhla and Yala. In fact they dislike him in the south...the votes he got mainly were fromt Issan and the north. And when he was the prime minister, there was similar events happened the in the south and he sent out the troops to the area and captured a lot of muslim extremists. Let think about this.... why would he do such thing when his sister is the prime misnister of Thailand??

I have seldom seen the identity of Southern insurgents specific to organizational affiliation in the media. It is not that this hasn't happened, it is just that I have never seen it. But here it is done liberally, suspiciously so, as it certainly serves to advance the agenda of anti-Thaksism by alleged association. I question that it is a sincere concern about such alleged fraternity, as opposed to a "get Thaksin' agenda.

You just can't see it to accept that the Shinawatra's have ever done wrong, can you, especially her, you know- 'puss in boots'?

-mel.

A God can´t do nothing wrong.

Once one can raise their sights beyond this media din of anti-Thaksism, there is possibly another angle worth considering. It cannot be argued that Mr. T. represents the electoral majority in Thailand.....right?....Electoral results of the past, including as recently as last year with which he was closely associated, provide irrefutable evidence of it...... Mr. Abhisit does not have comparable credentials........................ Given those facts, and should these anti-Thaksin innuendoes regarding attempts to affect the Southern insurgency be correct.....What would be wrong with that? Just compare the validity of a Thaksin in such discussions compared to any other Thai politician, with perhaps the exception of Ms. Y, and one can understand the cogency of it all................ So when one looks beyond all the media noise and smoke, this is worth considering.........As for those who would suggest that the recent Bangkok bombings have a relationship to all of this, those would be the same people who would be expected to blame Thaksin for an earthquake in Timbuktu.

Yet again.

NO SALE!

You just can't see it to accept that the Shinawatra's have ever done wrong, can you, especially her, you know- 'puss in boots'?

-mel.

A God can´t do nothing wrong.

Unless he's a god only in his own mind and a few thousand sycophants.

• Like 1

What will it take for the usual suspects to agree that Big T is a self-serving megomaniac, does he have to personally shoot someone in public. Nah they would believe his denial

It was a "fake" Thaksin.

or maybe suckered by an april fool?

• Like 1

It's well worth considering that Mr Abhisit doesn't have cronies buy his votes all the way from Korat to Nong Khai also.

The number of votes for Thaksin may well have out-weighed those of Abhisit, but when one considers the true validity of 'unbought' villagers' votes, then in a fair duel Mr Abhisit would win hands down, in any true and unbent voting environment.

-mel.

perhaps you need to check your facts a little bit more, I live in the South and vote buying by the democrats was rife during the last election, people been offered 1000 baht to sway their decicion toward a democrat 'X'. Although the Nation wants you to believe that the current government are the vote buyers, it is simply not true, I have seen it with my own eyes. They are all at it trust me.

And consider the 530 blocks of land that the Dems, Mr Suthep gave to people in the south. These were supposed to go to poor farming families, but somehow "accidentially" 9 went to very rich southern families ???