Working In Thai

Hi All,

I just moved to BKK for few months because my husband has been working here for 4 years and I was pregnant and gave birth last year ( in my own country HKG). my husband used to fly back to HKG every week, however, I want my family life to be more complete after having baby, so, we decided to move to thailand, at least my husband can see the baby everyday and no need to fly back and forth every week.

so, I quitted my job in HKG which I was the head of the Finance department and earning a satisfaction income, I like my job very much as it could provide me a sense of achievement. But after I moved to BKK, I dont' need to work in one hand my husband could take care the family, on the other hand I need to take care my little one. Now, time flies, my baby has growth up a lot, I really wanna find a job to kill my time here, it is not only for income, but also I wanna find myself back and wanna meet some new friends here, I was good in internal control and accounting, I had been spending many years in studying very hard in Australia and working in HKG.

I would like to consult all of your opinion of whether I could find a job here and how's the job market in BKK, if I wanna find a same position as an executive level here as a foreigner, is it possible and easy? any good recommendation?

Contact some of the big accounting/consulting firms.

If you have a masters degree then perhaps you could teach accounting, aduiting, etc., in an international program in a Thai university. ('Internatonal' means that all of the degree subjects/courses are taught in English language and are open to foreign students as well as Thai students.)

Thammasat, Chula, and Mahidol business schools all offer these programs at bachelor and masters degree level (and there are a few more places also).

You need a masters degree or higher, quite a few years broad experience and the ability to lecture

Call the business schools and ask to speak to the BBA program director or speak to the MBA program director, or maybe both.

You might be lucky and get transferred to these directors, or more likely the person who taks your call will give you an e-mail adddress and advise you to make a first approach by e-mail.

You do need a work permit to teach legally. Be aware that most foreign lecturers don't have a permanent contract with Thai uni's but there are other forms of contractual arrangements whereby the uni may offer a work permit.

Payments is by the hour (teachings hours). Also be aware that the overall 'volume' of work will change semester to semester with the posibility of no teaching hours in some semesters.

Edited by scorecard

The big 4 are obviously all here, but if you are looking to get a position commensurate to what you were used to, then you can look at approaching the recruitment consultants. I've dealt with Opus in the past and they target senior Thai and expatriate level. RSM Wheeler(?) are another.

If you are thinking out of the box a little, and if money isn't a huge motivator, the foreign chambers of commerce look for experienced people to look after their functions. Equally there would be charities etc which could use your skills.

• Like 1

Accounting and finance ??? be careful on wording of actual job....................

Under Thai Law foreigners are prohibited to engage in any of the following occupations.

1. Manual work

2. Work in agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery excluding specialized work in each particular branch or farm supervision

3. Bricklaying, carpentry or other construction works

4. Wood carving

5. Driving mechanically propelled carried or driving non-mechanically-propelled vehicle, excluding international aircraft piloting

6. Shop attendance

7. Auction

Supervising, auditing or giving service in accountancy, excluding internal auditing
on occasions

9. Cutting or polishing jewelry

10. Haircutting, hairdressing or beauty treatment

11. Cloth weaving by hand

12. Weaving of mate or making products from reeds, rattan, hemp, straw or bamboo pellicle

13. Making of Sa paper by hand

14. Lacquer ware making

15. Making of Thai musical instrument

16. Niello ware making

17. Making of products from gold, silver or gold-copper alloy

18. Bronze ware making

19. Making of Thai dolls

20. Making of mattress or quilt blanket

21. Alms bowls casting

22. Making of silk products by hand

23. Casting of Buddha images

24. Knife making

25. Making of paper of cloth umbrella

26. Shoemaking

27. Hat Making

28. Brokerage or agency excluding brokerage or agency in international trade business

29. Engineering work in civil engineering branch concerning designing and calculation, organization, research, planning, testing, construction supervision or advising excluding specialized work

30. Architectural work concerning designing, drawing of plan, estimating, construction directing or advising

31. Garments making

32. Pottery or ceramic ware making

33. Cigarette making by hand

34. Guide or conducting sightseeing tours

35. Street Vending

36. Type setting of Thai characters by hand

37. Drawing and twisting silk-thread by hand

Office or secretarial work

39. Legal or lawsuit services

From the Alien Occupational Control Division, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare.

• Like 1

Thank you all your advice. my baby has grown up alot means she has a nanny now and I don't need to always stay at home to take care her, I have my own free time to do what I want. So I wanna explore BKK, I cannot speak Thai, very difficult to communicate people here, I was thinking to take a Thai course, but I found it would be easily if you have some Thai friend who could speak English as well

Charlie H I hadn't seen the total list of excluded farang occupations. So does this mean as an artist and graphic designer I am entitled to work here?

If so I have wasted 10 years of possible lucrative employment or at least selling some art!

Edited by CHANGOVER

Your options are limited, the chances are that what ever you try it will fail, Thailand is difficult at the best of times , these are negative opinions, but real life is a bitch in Thai.WPFflags.gif

Yup, I know...unless I could speak Thai and age more than 35 ( I am less than 30), people here are more respect senior, even I have a master degree, they would only consider in working level.

Excuse me, but it means that according to the list of works mentioned before, if I open any company (with Thai shareholder of course) I can be only a shareholder? or any company where I am a sharehold is an international company?

Excuse me, but it means that according to the list of works mentioned before, if I open any company (with Thai shareholder of course) I can be only a shareholder? or any company where I am a sharehold is an international company?

Quick answer:

- By Thai law you can only hold 49% of the shares in a company registered in Thailand (whether the company engages in 'international' or 'loca'l business activity means nothing, it's a company registered in Thailand).

- The other 51% must be held by a number of Thai people (I forget the exact number, I think it's 5 or 6 Thais. the 51% cannot be held by just one Thai person).

But you can eventually gain control of the company, by declaring (in the artcles of associates - the rules you have made for the structure of the company, which must be lodged when you register the company) that the company has a Managing Director position and also declaring, in the articles of association that the MD is the only person who has authority to transact any business or sign any documentation whatever on behalf of the company.

Having completed the registration of the company, this could bring the opportunity for a work permit for you, but the list of occupations reveresed for Thai citizens still applies). Plus there are further rules about the ratio of Thai to Farang employees (employees is a different point to shareholders).

This is a quick answer, there are further regulations / rules / laws etc about this subject, and there is a lot on good and detailed information on the 'pinned' notices at the start of the ThaiVisa website on this subject.

If you do consider this route, be aware that the process of setting up the compay at the Thai Companies Office is not all that complicated, but international law firms who operate here will tell you it's complex and they will charge very outrageous fees.

There are other 'business agencies', totally legal, who will do this for you, and they are well capable, for a fraction of the costs.

After the company is set up, one of the next steps is the application for a work permit, which is completely different Thai government ministry (The Thai Labour Ministry), and I repeat by comments just above about using a 'business agency' rather then an international law firm for this work,

Edited by scorecard

There are numerous jobs sites as well as work permit information sites that you could find through Internet search. As far as i know that the majority of foreigners living and working in thailand are teachers. To be more specific, they are english teachers, minimal qualifications are a bachelor's degree in english or linguistics. Let me know that do you interested in teaching field?

Treasury management services

Edited by elvinsalex