I Just Got A Bill For Electric 2500 Bht In Pattaya

radiola

I have a small condo, 37 sqm and I only use aircon during the night, lets say from 3am to 12 am in the morning, i stay pattaya

in bkk i used aircon all day and all night got a bill for like 2000 max for small room of like 22 sqm

but when i was in bigger room like 45 sqm in bkk, i paid 3000 bht max and i ran it all the time, not only at night,because if bkk it is impossible to survive without aircon

so what is going on here, they charge me 6 bht per unit

In my condo I pay 4.25 THB per Unit, I have seen places where they charge 7 or even 10 THB a Unit.

In a house, if you have average use and stay under the 400 Units, you pay incl VAT and service Charge around 3.7 THB per Unit

Edit: //

Spelling

Edited by MJCM

I just paid my electric bill, well, a week ago.

It was 648.24 THB, including 7% VAT. This was for 191 Kwh, according to the bill anyway. (I didn't think I had used that much, actually.) Anyway, that comes out to 3.394 THB / Kwh, total.

My unit is about the same size as yours, radiola, but I don't use the air conditioning very often.

Edited by WannabeOne

So you used about 400 units of electric?

Now you need to know how may kwh your AC uses to do the calculation to see if it's right, otherwise your meter might need checking.

Also clean the filters on the ACs. And how old are they? If very old their efficiency may not be too good.

i am glad you posted this

after starting to use the ac everyday

in small room and is now pushing over 3000 a month bill

at 8 baht a unit

i keep trying to get the proprietor to service the unit

and drop the rate (he tells me he pays like 6, ha! and wants to raise it to 10!)

or simply charge me an access fee

he's a great guy

but i feel like i am getting burned each month big time

any helpful suggestions besides moving?

no AC = 500 baht a month max

i dont think they ripped me of by meter because they tell me to take a picture when i started renting

but 6 bht is too much i think, they told me they will charge me 5 when i moved in

guy collected today and ran away to bkk he he

I'm in a 150 sq mcondo in CM and my electric bill is always between 700 and 800, electric hob, refrigerator, lights, washing machine, fan, etc but we never use the aircon - my water is always 170 baht, a far cry from Phuket where the two bills were often 4k Baht.

i dont think they ripped me of by meter because they tell me to take a picture when i started renting

but 6 bht is too much i think, they told me they will charge me 5 when i moved in

6 baht is not a ripoff if you're renting a condo.

You know you talk about running your aircon, but you say nothing about your settings.

There's a huge different between, for example 22C with the fan running high compared to say 27C with low fan on eco settings. The difference could easily be 1000's per month if you run it all the time. Also, how well your room is sealed and/or insulated will make a big difference. In reality a well sealed room is not good for your health - you're better off having some outside air coming in to refresh the air in the cooled room.

If your room cops a lot of sunshine in the morning or afternoon that will also make a big difference. If your airon unit is too small for the room then the compressor could be running all the time trying to get your room down to your desired setting. That will cost a fortune. I had this problem with a small room and an inefficient aircon unit. My bills (at 6 baht/KWh) were always over 4000 per month.

Sounds about right to me, if not cheaper than expected.

What you wanna do is move to a condo not an apartment. A condo is separate unit with its own title deed and usually directly connected to the PEA and thus you pay the standard rate for electricity that everyone pays not an invented double or triple rate that apartment dwellers pay.

• Like 1

You know you talk about running your aircon, but you say nothing about your settings.

There's a huge different between, for example 22C with the fan running high compared to say 27C with low fan on eco settings. The difference could easily be 1000's per month if you run it all the time. Also, how well your room is sealed and/or insulated will make a big difference. In reality a well sealed room is not good for your health - you're better off having some outside air coming in to refresh the air in the cooled room.

If your room cops a lot of sunshine in the morning or afternoon that will also make a big difference. If your airon unit is too small for the room then the compressor could be running all the time trying to get your room down to your desired setting. That will cost a fortune. I had this problem with a small room and an inefficient aircon unit. My bills (at 6 baht/KWh) were always over 4000 per month.

do you ever stay in a condo where they charge straight from electric office ?

: nefficient aircon unit." yes if they are inefficent your bills will be higher

i buy new every 5 years

Bt6 sounds on the low end of what commercial residential properties charge. The extra tariff covers the cost of the individual meters they put in, higher capacity electricity feed cables, security lighting, etc. Same as the water rate is often double the official rate to pay for the electricity that powers the pump that gets it to a pressure to come out of your xx-floor apartment. BTW, also have a LCD or plasma TV sitting on standby?

Yes, I've been paying government rate in a town house for over a year... but that's not the point. If I found a place I really liked and the rate was higher I'm not going to get stressed out over a few extra baht per KWh. It wouldn't be a deal breaker. It's a matter of priorities and I wouldn't choose a place to live over a few thousand baht either way.

Realistically I use about 16 units per day. 2 extra baht is an extra 32 baht per day - that's ain't no big deal Charlie. There's easier ways to save money.

Edited by tropo

Yes, I've been paying government rate in a town house for over a year... but that's not the point. If I found a place I really liked and the rate was higher I'm not going to get stressed out over a few extra baht per KWh. It wouldn't be a deal breaker. It's a matter of priorities and I wouldn't choose a place to live over a few thousand baht either way.

Realistically I use about 16 units per day. 2 extra baht is an extra 32 baht per day - that's ain't no big deal Charlie. There's easier ways to save money.

I guess i agree with that

still is not used to the mark up for juice by a landlord

i never experienced anything like this in the west

VIA LA DIFFERENCE

today we talked and he told me he pays 5 baht for electricity because it is a building in pattaya and they have variable rates like high.and low, i mai cowjai

i humorously did the math that he is getting 1500 a month from me in profit from this and i get NOTHING

in effect he said it offsets his costs which means i pay for his bills

gotta love it

i told him i would buy a meter, cost a few hundred baht

he did not care for the idea

maybe its time to return to life in the oven

i am not giving up, though after years they still want to squeeze me

bottom line sux

life is not perfect

but i am happy

sorry to hi jack your thread

best of luck

yes 6 bht is not a biggie, but i already pay rent. What will be next, pool usage?

I was happy to use aircon only at night, in BKK that is impossible because it is so hot.

So i was quite surprised to get the same price as same size appartment in bkk where i burned aircon all day and night.

i am just pissed a bit, it is not about the money, it is about principles, they should explain they will charge 6 bht and not 5 bht like they told me first

bs

Got my first elec-bill for my 35m2 condo in Bang Saen.

Unit is charged at THB 7

Fridge, LCD-TV, water-cooker, airco, stereo, a floor-fan, shower-heater and some saving-light-bulbs are the users.

Aircon is turned on around 9 p.m. and turned off at 6-7 a.m.

Settings 25 degrees - eco power

Utility bill: THB 1371 for elec and THB 150 for water (min. charge)

Don't forget, that condo-complexes top up the utility charges as a kind of service cost for security, lighting in common areas, garden maintenance, etc.

i am just pissed a bit, it is not about the money, it is about principles, they should explain they will charge 6 bht and not 5 bht like they told me first

bs

You're right.......but it should be written in your rental contract.

If you don't have a contract or it isn't mentioned there, then you don't have a leg to stand on.

VIA LA DIFFERENCE

today we talked and he told me he pays 5 baht for electricity because it is a building in pattaya and they have variable rates like high.and low, i mai cowjai

i humorously did the math that he is getting 1500 a month from me in profit from this and i get NOTHING

gotta love it

bottom line sux

life is not perfect

but i am happy

best of luck

Deejah, it's common use in Thailand and it happens towards Thai and foreigners.

Very seldom you can see elec rates of THB 3.5 or THB 4 asked in case of a condo rental. In those cases you will have to pay the utility company directly. Overhead like gardening, security, pool maintenance, common lighting, etc will be charged in another way, but they will be charged.

: nefficient aircon unit." yes if they are inefficent your bills will be higher

i buy new every 5 years

Yes

yes 6 bht is not a biggie, but i already pay rent. What will be next, pool usage?

I was happy to use aircon only at night, in BKK that is impossible because it is so hot.

So i was quite surprised to get the same price as same size appartment in bkk where i burned aircon all day and night.

bs

I guess you were paying about 4 Baht per unit in Bangkok and so the difference in your bill is down to the 2 Baht extra you pay in Pattaya.

I used my aircon like crazy last month and the bill was only 1300.

I have rented (one room) apartments where the aircon bill was 7,000+!! Yeah, probably was scammed or something because it made no sense to me.

If you are paying above 2,000 you know you might be getting the shaft.

VIA LA DIFFERENCE

gotta love it

bottom line sux

life is not perfect

but i am happy

best of luck

You never paid an electric surcharge in the West, but if you rented a condo in the West you'd be paying what we call in Australia "body corporate" fees. If not directly it would be factored into the rent.

Fully furnished apartments in the South (Australia) are expensive to rent so your use (wear and tear) of electrical appliances is already covered.

Why do they do it here. Simple - because they can. Live with it, deal with it. You can find places without it easy enough, but don't rent a place which charges extra and whine.

I'd take a 2 baht surcharge on electric over paying body corporate fees or much higher rent (in the West, South etc) any day.

With or without the surcharge I'm doing a lot better over here.

cying about 2500 hundred baht is funny

I doubt it that he is crying, he is just wondering why it is so much. If you expect a Bill of around 1000-1500 and you get one for 2500 you would also be wondering why ? Or .... ?

cying about 2500 hundred baht is funny

I doubt it that he is crying, he is just wondering why it is so much. If you expect a Bill of around 1000-1500 and you get one for 2500 you would also be wondering why ? Or .... ?

i was only joking.i think like his post said he using allot..maybe 13 hours a day ?

not suprising he get the bill for that price