Import Thai Staff To Uk?

Well some may remember me from an earlier thread about benefits for those returning to the UK - lost my job just as we arrived back. I've got a differently-shaped problem now. As I couldn't find work in my rural area my wife and I decided to sink our remaining savings into opening a Thai restaurant. Won't bore you with the details, but it's going really well and we are starting to find that she can't cope with the cooking alone. As far as I know there are no Thai people living in my area, so I'm not that hopeful of recruiting an experienced cook locally. My wife would dearly like to bring over a family member who she could trust, and who's cooking skills are already known. From what I can read online, the barriers to entry for this type of thing seem very high - especially the minimum income requirement. Does anyone have any practical experience of bringing family in for work purposes?

Family is better. I had Thai staff at some of the restaurants I managed, and they leave and go to other establishments a lot. No loyalty whatsoever. And no, they were not mistreated or paid badly. They do not stop looking for work once you "import" them.

She would, I think, apply under Tier 2 (General) of the points based system.

But; you would need to show that it is impossible for you to fill the vacancy with a person settled in the UK, see Tier 2 policy guidance part 1.

Remember, you cannot specify that the vacancy must be filled by a Thai person, only that the person can cook Thai food.

Sorry, but I believe it is a non starter.

I don't know how much the law has changed over recent years but I do know of two different people, a relative of my wife and a Thai friend of my wife who brought relatives over to work in their restaurants a few years ago. Initially they had to advertise the vacancy in two different publications (I think for at least one month), one locally and one nationally. They couldn't advertise for a Thai person but they could insist that the person had relevant, recognised Thai qualifications as a Thai chef. The relatives they then brought over from Thailand also had to have those same recognised qualifications. They couldn't just call themselves a chef. I can't remember too much of the detail now though.

The rules for workers have changed considerably over the last few years.

The relevant part of the immigration rules are Paras 245H to 245HF. Para 245H saying

These routes enable UK employers to recruit workers from outside the EEA to fill a particular vacancy that cannot be filled by a British or EEA worker.

(My emphasis)

Which makes me believe it's a non starter.

However, assuming you could overcome this hurdle, then to sponsor her you would need a Certificate of Sponsorship, see How do I sponsor a migrant worker? and Guidance for Sponsors

She would still need to tot up at least 70 points under the Points Based System. See points calculator.

Lastly, there is a limit on the number of these visas being issued, for the year 6th April 2012 to 5th April 2013 that limit is 20,700; worldwide.

On a serious note it is going to be very difficult for you. It would be better to find a Thai already settled in the UK. If you do manage do to it I will take my hat off to you because it is pretty hard.

Edited by 7by7
Offensive innuendo removed
  • Like 1

Seems a big problem, pity you can not bring over a student for work experience for 6 months.

If you do need a cook I would say that it is more important the have UK qualifications "food hygiene", etc, ethnicity is unimportant, it is more their ability to cook and present food authentic Thai style and cope with the UK stringent laws on food hygiene.

More difficult would be to find staff to wait on tables who are "authentically" Thai.

Best of luck...

Seems a big problem, pity you can not bring over a student for work experience for 6 months.

If you do need a cook I would say that it is more important the have UK qualifications "food hygiene", etc, ethnicity is unimportant, it is more their ability to cook and present food authentic Thai style and cope with the UK stringent laws on food hygiene.

More difficult would be to find staff to wait on tables who are "authentically" Thai.

Best of luck...

So true...

I've said many times to my wife why don't Thai staff "wai" in the UK? annoyed.gif

They'd be given a right "rollickin" if they didn't do that in Thailand..

RAZZ

Best of luck...

So true...

I've said many times to my wife why don't Thai staff "wai" in the UK? annoyed.gif

They'd be given a right "rollickin" if they didn't do that in Thailand..

RAZZ

I think it is because many UK locals feel a bit embarrassed or uncomfortable with it because no one explains it! They don't feel comfortable responding so I fear it is a commercial decision.

It would be nice if Thai restaurants and shops offered a quick guide to Thai culture. It would interest customers and educate them at the same time.

I made a few mistakes when I first went to Thailand (nothing too awful) but a little education from my brother and his wife quickly put things in context.

The conventions of shaking hands is simpler than the 'Wai'!

Edited by bobrussell

The rules for workers have changed considerably over the last few years.

The relevant part of the immigration rules are Paras 245H to 245HF. Para 245H saying

These routes enable UK employers to recruit workers from outside the EEA to fill a particular vacancy that cannot be filled by a British or EEA worker.

(My emphasis)

Which makes me believe it's a non starter.

Those rules were in place for the time I was talking about 7by7. you could effectively get round the 'cannot be filled by a British or EEA worker' ​clause by saying the applicant must have relevant Thai qualifications as a Thai chef (which would be perfectly acceptable for such a specific job). At least that's what the two people I mentioned did. There would be very few non Thais that would have qualified as a chef in Thailand and if you did find a Thai national living in the UK that was suitably qualified that would be problem solved anyway.