Moving To Thailand, Immigration/visa Questions

Hi,

I'm new on this forum, I have been reading many posts, and I'm sorry if those questions have already been answered, but I'm still confused.

I'm 28, belgian and currently working in Canada (Temporary Resident), I'm planning to move and stay in Thailand with my wife (who is Thai). Her family and friends are welcoming us, and we have a place to stay and security there, I'm also planning to look for a job over there.

The point is I don't have much more money than to move there, I know I'll need a non-immigrant visa "O" and in order to extend it I need to prove I have 400000 baht in account or have a job paying me at least 40000 baht/month (we find those requirements insane). Of course I don't have that money, and I don't expect to get such a salary and that causes me quite some worries... I'm not worried about being in Thailand without a work, because my wife's family and friends are awesome and I can count on them, but I worry about not being able to stay in Thailand.

According to what I understood in this forum, I could just get out of the country and get a new non immigrant "O" visa? And no need of any money/salary requirement? In the case I would be refused a new non immigrant "O" visa, what are my options to stay in Thailand? How long could I stay in the country by getting out to get a new non immigant "O" visas again and again?

I called the Thai embassy in Ottawa today, and they told me that to go in Thailand (I said I'm married to a Thai girl), I need non immigrant "O", but they can not give me more than a single entry valid for 3 months, after what I need to extend at the immigration department (I guess that's where I'll be required to show some money/salary). Where can I get a multiple entry "O"?

I appreciate all answers, comments and advices as the immigration laws of Thailand make me quite nervous, and I heard so many different things that I really feel confused.

Thanks in advance,

David.

Believe most home country consulates will still issue a multi entry non immigrant O visa for those with a marriage certificate; and Penang in the local area. As to guarantee this will always be the case can not promise that.

At your age you are expected to be the breadwinner and have employment to meet extension of stay requirements if you live in Thailand. If not you would take your wife to your home country to support her.

Believe most home country consulates will still issue a multi entry non immigrant O visa for those with a marriage certificate; and Penang in the local area.  As to guarantee this will always be the case can not promise that. 

At your age you are expected to be the breadwinner and have employment to meet extension of stay requirements if you live in Thailand.  If not you would take your wife to your home country to support her.

I do plan to work in Thailand, and my wife plans to resume her studies and work too, what I meant is that we have people to welcome us there and take care of us until we be fine on our own. It's just that I'm not sure at all I'll get a 40000/month job, and I might end up doing a french/english teaching job. Anyway, I don't believe we need that amount to live, we use to live simple and don't need much to be happy.

If the rules change about getting new non "O" visa, what are my options?

I was not trying to judge you if you took it that way. The fact is you have no good options without money if the rules change and it does not sound as if you will have access to that much if you move here.

You do not seem to be in a position to afford the 3 million baht investment type visa extension. You do not mention setting up any kind of company but if you can obtain the funds and can run it that might be an option (but more complex than being an employee). You could leave and try to obtain a tourist visa or several but that may be hard in the local area after a couple of tries. You could border run every month for a 30 day entry without visa but that again is subject to rules not changing and immigration allowing it (they sometimes advise you not to return again now).

But I suspect you have read all the above - don't believe we can offer anything new. I would make contact with another Consulate and see if they can issue you a multi entry before you come here if you are set on living here. At the present time believe you can still obtain in Penang if not available elsewhere.

I was not trying to judge you if you took it that way.  The fact is you have no good options without money if the rules change and it does not sound as if you will have access to that much if you move here.

You do not seem to be in a position to afford the 3 million baht investment type visa extension.  You do not mention setting up any kind of company but if you can obtain the funds and can run it that might be an option (but more complex than being an employee).  You could leave and try to obtain a tourist visa or several but that may be hard in the local area after a couple of tries.  You could border run every month for a 30 day entry without visa but that again is subject to rules not changing and immigration allowing it (they sometimes advise you not to return again now).

But I suspect you have read all the above - don't believe we can offer anything new.  I would make contact with another Consulate and see if they can issue you a multi entry before you come here if you are set on living here.  At the present time believe you can still obtain in Penang if not available elsewhere.

Thanks for the infos. So in short, I can get a multiple entry non "O", then I could go to penang to try get a new non "O" (with no financial requirement) every year. But it is subject to approval or refusal, and if I be refused or the immigration laws change in Thailand, I'll be screwed if I don't have money. Am I right?

My wife also just told me she got information that if you have 200000 baht on account transfered from overseas, you can get the authorization to stay 5 months, and 5 months after you have to show you got another 200000 baht. Is it working?

In the case I would have 200000 baht transfered to a thai bank, can I take out around 40000 every months (to pretend I'm using it), transfer that money back to my bank in Canada (not transfered from my thai bank, but by another account or by another mean), then retransfer it to thai bank. I would never have more than 200000 on account, but I could show I transfer a fresh 200000 every 5 months from overseas. Would it work?

Thanks,

David.

Trazom (David) -

I really think you ought reconsider your plans to come to Thailand, and perhaps consider going back to your home country to seek employment there. Your odds are much better. You can always visit Thailand on holidays with your wife.

As for your question.... "I'll be screwed if I don't have money. Am I right?"... I can tell you that this is correct no matter where you live.

To be blunt, I think that the immigrations regulations in Thailand are not in your favor, being that you are young (less than 50 years old), and that you do not seem to have sufficient funds to live there.

Visa runs, whether monthly or every quarter (3 months) costs money for both the visa renewal and the expenditures to get to the border or overseas consulate.

I currently live in the US, and I also have thoughts of coming to Thailand to settle with my Thai wife. And I consider myself to be in a better financial situation than you describe yourself. Yet, I restrain myself from making the leap, because I know that it will be a challenge to find suitable employment in Thailand, to pay for a home, trips to renew visas, etc.

So in conclusion, think things over carefully. No matter how good your intentions are to settle with your wife (and family) in Thailand, the Thai Immigration won't give a hoot if you do not have the necessary means to provide financial support. From what I have read in many TV posts is that Thai Immigration officials stick to the law, and won't make exceptions because you feel that you can live on less than 400,000 baht a year (less than US$10,000).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have to agree with Gumballl as the goodwill you have now could become much less so in the future with no income. But that is your decision.

I have not heard anything firm about anyone using a 200k now for 5 month provision but there was a recent post that might indicate such a provisional step might be available. Not sure if it could be continued or just for the first year time period when immigration is known to try and make the requirements less. I would not count on it working long term (the 200k for 5 months) and as far as the money transfers you are going to be losing at each step so it would not seem very cost effective.

What you may be able to do if you start working is to use that income, plus imported for shortfall, to make up the normal 400k requirements.

I agree with Lopburi. The 200K deal is not a know factor.

The official line is 400K in the bank or 40K per month income for a 12 month visa

when married to a Thai national.

If you cannot meet those requirements you had better make plans elsewhere.