Why Aon Bank Blocks Foreign Visa Cards Last Year?

Use AEON ATMs probably a half dozen times per month using my U.S. bank debit cards; no problems. Now if a person has a ATM/debit card using only the CIRRUS network it may not work in a AEON ATM.

Usually when a card is blocked/don't work in an ATM it's due to the bank that issued the card blocking overseas use unless the card holder called in advance to tell the bank he/she will be traveling in country XYZ so be sure to not block a transaction if you see the card being used in country XYZ. It's meant to help prevent fraud.

Edited by Pib

Use AEON ATMs probably a half dozen times per month using my U.S. bank debit cards; no problems. Now if a person has a ATM/debit card using only the CIRRUS network it may not work in a AEON ATM.

Usually when a card is blocked/don't work in an ATM it's due to the bank that issued the card blocking overseas use unless the card holder called in advance to tell the bank he/she will be traveling in country XYZ so be sure to not block a transaction if you see the card being used in country XYZ. It's meant to help prevent fraud.

Interesting point about informing your bank about possible overseas ATM usage......

Here in the UK I walked into Nat West and Royal Bank of Scotland informing of potential usage but they will not/cannot enter that information in advance against your card. I actually thought they were joking initially...

They give you a number to ring once the card has been declined and you got to pray the card(s) do not get swallowed.....

Even after you have rung them they do not guarantee the card will work.

Interesting point about informing your bank about possible overseas ATM usage......

Here in the UK I walked into Nat West and Royal Bank of Scotland informing of potential usage but they will not/cannot enter that information in advance against your card. I actually thought they were joking initially...

They give you a number to ring once the card has been declined and you got to pray the card(s) do not get swallowed.....

Well that's a really messed up way to handle things, IMHO. In the U.S. many cards tell you to be sure to call them before you go on trips overseas so they can code the system that you may be using your card in this and that country. Usually that coding can only last 60 to 90 days before you have to call them again. I've heard Capital One (a U.S. bank) operates that way with their debit and credit cards. However, I've had a Capital One credit card for over a year now, use it almost everyday in Thailand, and I have never notified CapOne of anything nor has my card ever been rejected (knock on wood).

Use Aeon ATM on atleast 3-4 x per month, never fails, never a 150b charge from them either. (I have u.s. accounts, debt cards) Limits up to 30,000b per pull, per day on one card! not like the rest of the money grubing banks here. Check your bank card. Cheers to Aeon! A God send!

Edited by BigSkip

Well that's a really messed up way to handle things, IMHO. In the U.S. many cards tell you to be sure to call them before you go on trips overseas so they can code the system that you may be using your card in this and that country. Usually that coding can only last 60 to 90 days before you have to call them again. I've heard Capital One (a U.S. bank) operates that way with their debit and credit cards. However, I've had a Capital One credit card for over a year now, use it almost everyday in Thailand, and I have never notified CapOne of anything nor has my card ever been rejected (knock on wood).

Strangely the Halifax Bank here in the UK which forms part of the same Banking Group that includes RBS and Nat West are happy to record your wishes for up to full validity of the ATM card....