Koh Samui, The Only Island Tsunami Cannot Reach, To Offer Best Of Thailand

Koh Samui offers the best places of Thailand to visit and wonder. Every year hundreds of people visit Koh Samui for its resorts, hotels, waters, full moon parties and underwater life and it is the only island Tsunami can’t reach.

Koh Samui / NationalTurk – Indonesia earthquake rocked the region and the paradise islands, yet one island was not threatened by the possible tsunami warning. Koh Samui is the safest island in the region and the onlt island Tsunami cannot reach since it is located within the Gulf of Thailand, and thus protected from the tsunamis that may again one day race across the Indian Ocean and the Andaman Sea. The peninsula of southern Thailand and Malaysia is a barrier for Koh Samui to the fear of Tsunami.

After the 8.6 and 8.2 magnitude earthquakes and issued Tsunami alerts travellers are tourists flock to Koh Samui, a paradise island Tsunami cannor reach.

Koh Samui had also not been affected by the Tsunami that devastated many parts of Asia in December 2004 earthquake

http://www.nationalturk.com/en/koh-samui-the-only-island-tsunami-cannot-reach-to-offer-best-of-thailand-17544

the article does have some points, anyone that remembers Koh Samui 1 week after the 2004 event, will remember samui was 15 times more busier then today !, a friend of mine even had 7 new check ins today, who where all supposed to go to Phuket !,

will the new events that happen Boost Samui Tourism? , as the tourist based companies appear to be promoting samui that way !!!!, w

Edited by Boater

It depends where the Earthquake is ..So Samui could be hit ...and Tsunamis doen't travel in straight lines , so if a Tsumami hit the East coast of Samui other areas around the island would be effected ...

Remember the Peru Earthquake ... There was a chance at that time of Samui being reached ..

see http://earthquake.us...arthquakes/map/

Edited by churchill

It depends where the Earthquake is ..So Samui could be hit ...and Tsunamis doen't travel in straight lines , so if a Tsumami hit the East coast of Samui other areas around the island would be effected ...

Remember the Peru Earthquake ... There was a chance at that time of Samui being reached ..

I agree with this. People are only painting a rosy picture to make Samui look safe without doing any research.

I do agree with your assessment but I don't remember this particular earthquake, especially since the link to the map only shows recent quakes. When was this Peru quake?

What Phangan & Tao don't warrant a mention? That in itself was nearly enough for me to completely disregard this 'report', but the author's continual use of the phrase "only island a tsunami can't reach" makes it sound like it was written buy the Samui tourism authority! Had the piece been qualified with the origin of the Tsunami that cannot reach us (e.g. Indian Ocean tsunami), it may not have been so misleading.

Have a look at where we are in the Gulf of Thailand, paying particular attention to the undersea tectonics around the Philippines, particularly that ridge to the west of Manilla; then have a look at the plate tectonics around that area, with the Australian plate pushing north-east, the Eurasian plate pushing southwest, and the Filipino plate pushing back against the both of them. This tectonic movement caused a 7.1 magnitude submarine earthquake off the southwest coast of Taiwan, in the Luzon Strait (which connects the South China Sea with the Philippine Sea) on December 26, 2006. Any further south, and it's entirely feasible the a tsunami could sweep around the southern tip of Vietnam and straight up the gulf to Samui, particularly Chaweng and Lamai.

I don't mean to be alarmist, but to say it can never happen here is quite naive.

I don't mean to be alarmist, but to say it can never happen here is quite naive.

Are you doubting the reliability of that well read, and internationally renowned publication?ohmy.png

Having said that, Boaters' overall question is valid. However, when the potential tsunami was reported internationally, it only really talked about Thailand. Not the Andaman, or Gulf, or east or west. I find most people coming here don't really know where they are anyway, or the different climates, let alone the susceptibilty to earthquakes and the like. Last time, I would imagine most people switched to Samui, simply because Phuket wasn't available.

So, in my view, this (thankfully) non-event is not going to make the slightest bit of difference.

Edited by itishothere
  • Like 1

even on the Andaman coast the lethal 2004 tsunami only happened once in all of Thailand's recorded history which is at least 150 years. not to say it was not a boost to Samui at the time, but I was in Phuket in Feb and it was bustling with tourists, most hotels were fully booked. The tsunami effect is short lived...

Had to remove 2 posts & a reply to them as no source was attributed to them.

A source must be quoted & only the first paragraph copied & pasted to adhere with copyright guidelines.

Thank you.

Had to remove 2 posts & a reply to them as no source was attributed to them.

A source must be quoted & only the first paragraph copied & pasted to adhere with copyright guidelines.

Thank you.

lucky i read the posts ... and did seem interesting , but a link would have been nice :)

It's not that it can never happen in Samui but that the likelihood of it is extremely small. Koh Samui, notably Koh Phangan and Koh Tao and other islands in East of the Gulf like Koh Chang, Koh Kut are all in the "shadow" of either Vietnam, Philippines or Borneo that would reflect the incoming tsunami waves from the Pacific, where the tectonic rift is located. There are no earthquake prone areas closer to the island. So, some can say earthquake can happen everywhere and they will be right. But it's also true that they don't happen on tectonic plates like the one Samui is located at. The island is a true paradise as it is also away from hurricanes, volcanoes and tornadoes. The only natural disaster that can happen here is a heavy rainfall .. and .. a strike of the local mafia.

Why is anyone responding to this post? It's obviously a poor attempt at propagandizing Samui. Tsunamis are a function of under water earthquakes. Even Chicago-no where near the sea- is, in theory, susceptible to an event. And, Samui just plain sucks unless you are between the ages of 18 and 22, or if you are absolutely loaded with cash. Loads of white women in I'll-fitting bathing suits, no thank you

Why is anyone responding to this post? It's obviously a poor attempt at propagandizing Samui. Tsunamis are a function of under water earthquakes. Even Chicago-no where near the sea- is, in theory, susceptible to an event. And, Samui just plain sucks unless you are between the ages of 18 and 22, or if you are absolutely loaded with cash. Loads of white women in I'll-fitting bathing suits, no thank you

Loads of white women in I'll-fitting bathing suits, no thank you

are you referring to pasty white over weight women?

Erm . . .

Samui sucks - slurp slurp fantasy-alien-16.gif - "unless you are between the ages of 18 and 22" ?? Where are all these children?

Correction - Sucking Samui now has little appeal IF you are between the ages of 18 and 22. (Unless when you say "Samui" you mean Soi Green Mango - and 50% of the faces there are wrinklies.)

Have you not noticed that the vast majority of Samui's population are pensioners? Gunter and Christina, Johnny and Gale, Chuck and Marylou? Not a Dwayne or a Tracy to be seen.

Looks like it's you that have been . . . what was it again? . . . proper ganderized.

R

Edited by robsamui

Oh my dear, sounds like somebody didn't score on his last Samui holiday? rolleyes.gif

Tut tut, Dr Watson. The perpetrator is obviously left handed, black, female and hails from the colonies old-300.gif

R

Edited by robsamui

Misleading headline 'only island'.....Samet and Koh Chang cant be hit by a tsunami..and there are others also.

yes the artical could have covered all islands in this area by saying Samui Islands not just Koh Samui but all islanads in thei golf of Thailand.

Plus all costal tourist areas such as Khanom Hua Hin Pattaya.

nice promotion though

Edited by BigC

An announcement this evening from the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) reveals that there were two quakes, not one, that hit the island this afternoon (April 16): one off Sumatra and one much closer to home, in Thalang District.

'The fault system affected is known as the Klong Marui fault, which lies under Surat Thani, Phang Nga, Krabi and Phuket.'

http://www.thephuket...-home-29843.php

see also ...

http://kasetsartjour...21128354585.pdf

Edited by churchill
  • Like 1

An announcement this evening from the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) reveals that there were two quakes, not one, that hit the island this afternoon (April 16): one off Sumatra and one much closer to home, in Thalang District.

'The fault system affected is known as the Klong Marui fault, which lies under Surat Thani, Phang Nga, Krabi and Phuket.'

http://www.thephuket...-home-29843.php

see also ...

http://kasetsartjour...21128354585.pdf

Perhaps you should clarify that the island in question is Phuket.

Thanks for just doing that ... I thought as the article was from Phuket News it was obvious ..

The main point was that the fault line 'lies under Surat Thani,'

so the truth is that Koh Chang and the islands in the gulf of Thailand in the north east are the only islands un eviected.

though not much chance of one hitting samui as if the plates are underneath Surathani there is not much sea water between suratthani and samui which would not give the wave much time to pick up speed.

The Tsunami's in the ocean start far out where the water is deep and the waves is created when the wave hits shallow water cause it to be a tidel wave.

I think samui is safe even if there are plates underneath surathani / Phang na