2012 Songkran Chiangmai - A Lot Of Fun ! Pics~

Caibiao

Thanks great pics!

I really like the ones of the little thai girl with the sunglasses so cute.

As some others have mentioned I couldn't help but notice how many falangs.

I mentioned it to my wife & she laughed because she had just read the same on a Thai site called pantip dot com

A Thai man posted ....OMG what happened so many falang in Chinag Mai for Songkron.

He said it looked like Disney Land smile.png

I am very glad you and you wife like these photos.

smile.png

Edited by Caibiao
  • Like 1

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

caibiae.

re .. I am a Chinese,

welcome to chiang mai and nice pics but this is the nearest

im getting to any songkran activity : )

keep up the good work .. dave2

Nice to meet you here! And I am very glad you enjoy these pics! smile.png

You are right, too near... and it is not good to my equipment. In fact yesterday my cannon can not open at the morning because of water soaked, fortunately got good at the afternoon.

For fear of damage to my camera, I took only one camera and one long-distance-focal-lens with me. So the pics seem to be near.

Follow your suggestion, I went up to the old city wall in the northeast corner of the old city yesterday afternoon. Its very safe there, I stay there for about two hours. See the parade, photographing, and laughing~ So many funs in the parade and river! biggrin.pngcowboy.gifbiggrin.png

Regarding the police. Yesterday one policeman(edit: oops meant friday) (in a group of policemen) gestured to my friend and i to get his mate...haha. He pulled us over and we squirted. Then another friend came over to take a video and all the policemen were happy to wave and laugh with us for the camera. I actually thought "why not!". In this case, where there was little traffic, and the police being (i imagine) very hot in those polyester suits, must love a bit of cool water and a laugh.

The policeman in that photo, is sprinkling hose water, its not full blast, and its not a thumping great big bucket. I bet these guys actually slowed down and stopped in front of the policeman for this. I highly doubt a policeman would be launching water at all the riders without some consideration.

Edited by eek

Photos go on ...

As Winnie has already said--WoW--you really are getting into the swing--sorry about your Canon but it was somewhat inevitable, I fear--hope it has fully recovered--some brilliant pics--also same goes to The Blether--love the two of Yingluck, especially the second where she doesn't look too chuffed as she climbs back on her pick-up. Ha Ha!!

I really appreciate all the photos especially since I am just too old for Songkran water battles so I do not venture into the Lion's Den--my daughter and her friends are all throwing water at anyhting that moves, and some things that don't/can't--my days of Songkran water fights ended many years ago when the penchant for ice blocks in the buckets got me quite sick after one session--but I don't knock others having fun--not so sure that the ice is such a good idea, or the amount of alchohol consumed--what became of the signs stating Songkran 2012--No Alchohol??

Photos go on ...

Wow, excellent!!!! You're getting better every day at this! smile.png

From where did you take those shots? Climb up on the old city wall at the moat corners? That's a great place to take pictures, and safe from flying water.

Thank you!

You are right. I climbed the city wall of the northeast corner. Unfortunately it was a bit late when I got there.

Photos go on ...

As Winnie has already said--WoW--you really are getting into the swing--sorry about your Canon but it was somewhat inevitable, I fear--hope it has fully recovered--some brilliant pics--also same goes to The Blether--love the two of Yingluck, especially the second where she doesn't look too chuffed as she climbs back on her pick-up. Ha Ha!!

I really appreciate all the photos especially since I am just too old for Songkran water battles so I do not venture into the Lion's Den--my daughter and her friends are all throwing water at anyhting that moves, and some things that don't/can't--my days of Songkran water fights ended many years ago when the penchant for ice blocks in the buckets got me quite sick after one session--but I don't knock others having fun--not so sure that the ice is such a good idea, or the amount of alchohol consumed--what became of the signs stating Songkran 2012--No Alchohol??

The two photos of Yingluck were taken by theblether. smile.png

I am also afraid of the ice water. Especially when it was drop onto my back. unsure.png

Edited by Caibiao

rolleyes.gif By going slowly along a party area, where everyone is enjoying themselves?

Jees.. How about getting back to your DVDs, or finding yourself a life in a culture that you do approve of? If you don't enjoy it then fine, but save others from the verbal vinegar, especially when it's a direct flame to the local guys in the pictures, enjoying and celebrating their own festival their own way. Or are you just looking to bait some people? Looking at the pic above again, a scene from Phuket, with a policeman with a hose blessing two motorcycle riders dressed up in festival gear, being stationary and inviting the splashing, I can only conclude that it's a deliberate baiting attempt.

So you have no respect for the law? In both pictures people are clearly breaking the law. Or does the law not apply on festival days?

Of course not,how long have you lived in Thailand? Also does not apply to every other Tuesday and every Saturday &Sunday when there is a vowel (In English of course) in the month. And other TBA days.

สวัสดีปีใหม่

That's good then...a very long time (not that that would have any affect on me noticing a law being broken) So you must agree that the people in the photos are breaking the law irrespective of it being so called Songkran fun.

Considering all the dangerous things that you see on the road every day even when it's not Songkran, I don't think it's realistic to expect a crackdown during the festival days. Would be like handing out speeding tickets at the Indianapolis 500.

But I did wonder about that a little bit this year because I know a Thai person who got into quite a lot of legal trouble recently when she knocked a motorcyclist off his bike by thowing something into the road. Makes me wonder a little bit what happens if a motorcyclists falls off his bike and dies after getting hit by a bucket of water during Songkran. That scenario must play out scores of times each year. Would the person who threw the water typically get in trouble with the law?

Edited by OriginalPoster

pictures... :

https://www.facebook...43509675&type=1

off topic, but anyone knows if there's a working post office before wednesday ?

Wow, some AMAZING photos there! Thanks for sharing them.

I think the P.O. re-opens on Tuesday but I am not 100% sure. You could always go to the P.O. inside the Airport as they are always open (but are limited in what they can do on government holidays).