2012 Songkran Chiangmai - A Lot Of Fun ! Pics~

Caibiao

Just read the TV news post about increased Songkran deaths this year.

http://www.thaivisa....urn-to-bangkok/

Looks like this year's Songkran wasn't all fun and games. RIP to those who died.

It happens; almost all of the country is on the road at the same time visiting friends/family back home or going on holiday. The increase actually was also expected, as political turmoil in past Songkrans caused some people to not travel. It's still sad, but Thailand's roads are not the safest place to be in the world.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the photos.

I was out all 4 days (Thursday in a local village at a friend's new bar - warmed up nicely!) - the rest in loi Kroh defending a bar with my kids. Prefer LK as it's a little tamer than the moat (though we did take a few sorties to TP Gate when it got slow on LK). Was great - did notice Ice had gone up this year (last year 20b/block this year some trying it on for 50 or more!) - no ice throwing this year that I noticed - I did notice a lot of beer being drunk in the street (large bottles) but nearly all by young Thai men. There was on bar near the end of LK (moat end) that seemd to be using salt water that stung the eyes and face <deleted>? but we avoided that after the first hot. Weather held this year too - p!ssed down last year!

Did notice a few of the usdual suspects - MOFs (miserable old farang) that ventured out over the weekend to have lunch in the bvar and complained about getting wet - well der! Order in and let the pizza boy get drenched instead.

All in all I had a great time and so did my girls. Looking forward to next year.

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos.

I was out all 4 days (Thursday in a local village at a friend's new bar - warmed up nicely!) - the rest in loi Kroh defending a bar with my kids. Prefer LK as it's a little tamer than the moat (though we did take a few sorties to TP Gate when it got slow on LK). Was great - did notice Ice had gone up this year (last year 20b/block this year some trying it on for 50 or more!) - no ice throwing this year that I noticed - I did notice a lot of beer being drunk in the street (large bottles) but nearly all by young Thai men. There was on bar near the end of LK (moat end) that seemd to be using salt water that stung the eyes and face <deleted>? but we avoided that after the first hot. Weather held this year too - p!ssed down last year!

Did notice a few of the usdual suspects - MOFs (miserable old farang) that ventured out over the weekend to have lunch in the bvar and complained about getting wet - well der! Order in and let the pizza boy get drenched instead.

All in all I had a great time and so did my girls. Looking forward to next year.

I was on LK at one point, I thoroughly enjoyed it down there, however for me the two high points were catching the parade and getting down to a quieter area just past Mad Dog and taking photos and mixing with the Thais, ( there were no farangs playing that far down ), I really loved just standing back and watching the Thais singing and dancing, and of course drenching each other. It was particularly funny at times when the traffic backed right up and you would have about 12 pick up trucks full of Thai families conducting good fun vendettas against each other. Its not just the sight of Songkran, the sound track of laughter and joy is amazing too.

There was on bar near the end of LK (moat end) that seemd to be using salt water that stung the eyes and face <deleted>?

Not salt, but a thing people do is make the water smell nice with some jasmine scented perfume and/or jasmine scented chalk/powder. Sold at all the supermarkets during the holidays, near the waterguns. I like adding it to water, but then it does become less suitable to throw in people's faces, yes.

All, look at at this awesome vid of the crazier side of the party... All the bad (and 'bad') things come along.

Note that this is from Thai TV Channel 3.. Mannn...! :

http://youtu.be/GXAqqgbz9c8

Great stuff and sad that there are those on TVF who want to have all such a festival banned and the participants jailed or worse..........

Too many katoeys in the vid, but never mind, it doesn't matter.

As always, I had a great time.

The poster on another thread who was targeted by a hatred filled six year old, needs treatment..........

Have to give it the Thais, they know how to party, and party well.

And why not !!!

All, look at at this awesome vid of the crazier side of the party... All the bad (and 'bad') things come along.

Note that this is from Thai TV Channel 3.. Mannn...! :

http://youtu.be/GXAqqgbz9c8

lol, thought the couple at 0.38 were super cute.

Have to say though, that i find the average thai girl dancing a bit comical. They bust out the same overt sexy moves, but (in general) with zero rhythm. Good on them for having fun though. (edit: Oops, just read phil's comment above and maybe some are Katoy, sorry, i actually am pretty bad sometimes at knowing. Katoy are usually more flamboyant i guess. Find a lot of them are truly very beautiful. If they say they are girls, then they are girls in my eyes in any case!)

Some scary stuff on there too. Wow at the car... and the girl screaming, that was pretty full on.

Edited by eek