European Surnames In Thailand

MediumPaceBowler

Who's Anuban?

Is DP'ing with other men a hobby of yours?

rolleyes.gif

Anuban is a very common Thai word. Ask anyone from 3 years old and up they will be able to tell you.

Anuban is not a dirty word.

It is probably not a good idea to accuse a hetrosexual man you don't know of having anal sex with two men on Thai Visa unless Thai Visa has gotten a lot more liberal in the past few days.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who's Anuban?

Is DP'ing with other men a hobby of yours?

rolleyes.gif

Anuban is a very common Thai word. Ask anyone from 3 years old and up they will be able to tell you.

Anuban is not a dirty word.

It is probably not a good idea to accuse a hetrosexual man you don't know of having anal sex with two men on Thai Visa unless Thai Visa has gotten a lot more liberal in the past few days.

huh.png

Good thread this and very interesting. This is something I have always wanted to know, but been afraid to ask.

I have no official facts to give you, but here is my educated guess:

Throughout history Thailand was never colonised by any Western nations, neither did Westerners visit or settle in Thailand in large numbers. In fact Thailand has never been a true multi racial society in the sense compared to many European countries.

But I believe this is going to change within the next 20 years or so, now that there is an abundance of farangs settling in Thailand. There are my three kids who are all registered in my surname and have English Christian names and I know of many more.

One of my neighbors who he and is his wife are 100% Thai and don`t speak a word of farang, have named their two children, James and Ann, so these types of names are now becoming fashionable in Thailand.

BTW, did someone mention that there is an erotic exotic photo going around of a poster`s girlfriend?

I would call 100,000 Japanese a lot of people and they stayed or passed through for 4 years. 50,000 Americans for 10 years lived in Thailand and hundreds of thousands more came for a week at a time to increase the gene pool for 10 years.

You make a good point that I did not think of.

As I said, mine is just a guess.

Is there an historian in the house?

Americans occupied Japan in large numbers for many years and also Thailand for 10 years. Both populations are getting taller.

.. and more belligerent too..

• 2 weeks later...

I vaguely remember hearing something along the lines that Thailand requires its citizens to have an appropriate Thai sounding name in order to get their papers. A lot of Thai born Indians have Thai names and Thai born Chinese adapt their name into a Thai name. Correct me if I'm wrong, it was something I heard from a US-Thai who had problems with their US name.

I vaguely remember hearing something along the lines that Thailand requires its citizens to have an appropriate Thai sounding name in order to get their papers. A lot of Thai born Indians have Thai names and Thai born Chinese adapt their name into a Thai name. Correct me if I'm wrong, it was something I heard from a US-Thai who had problems with their US name.

Bill Heinecke doesn't seem to have any problem

Rubbish laugh.png

Surnames didn't become a legal requirement in Thailand until 1913. Before that the vast majority of Thais only had one name.

Another factor might be the requirement that every name (combination of given name and surname) must be unique. So there can only be one John Smith, for example. (Not sure whether this is still the case, but it used to be).

This. I found out this recently. If a foreigner wishes to become a citizen he will have to register a name, and if that name is already taken, and not by a member of his or her family then they will have to choose a new name.

Oh Mr Nocturn! Really!!! You cynic!!!! You doubter!!!!!!!

Give me some time and I'll PM you a couple of photos.

You'll see immediately that my exotic girlfriend is Thai. You'll see too that she looks Indian / Arabic. The Chinese part (25%) won't be apparent in the photo/s.

You'll probably notice her perfect nose. And when you see her hair, I doubt you'll be surprised to learn that she used to be a model for Schwarzkopf Hair Products.

If the Chinese part was 37% would it be apparent?

That's actually a good question.

Have you ever noticed that some Thais have a sort of extra tooth? The extra tooth (sometimes, extra TEETH) is located in the upper jaw, to the left or right of the front teeth.

I spoke to a dentist about this. She worked at Kasetsart University and was kind enough to fix my teeth gratis.

She explained that this extra tooth (or extra teeth) is a Mongolian trait. Her opinion was that this extra tooth WHEN SEEN IN THAILAND is an indication of Chinese ancestry. I guess she felt that Mongolians must have passed on this "tooth gene" to the Chinese, and the Chinese must have brought it with them to Thailand.

This is (of course) not to say that all Thais with Chinese ancestry have that strange extra tooth, but it does suggest that those who do have it are of Chinese descent.

You may wish to Google this. I personally don't have time right now as I'm off to join the water fights.

I usually refuse to answer your nonsense but this is absolute drivel. How many teeth has your exotic lady got? Why did her super-rich parents not have that corrected during her ultra-privileged childhood?

The Mongol conquest of China took place in the twelfth century, that's a long time ago. Even if there were a genetic tendency to extra teeth amongst the Mongols (and I find that improbable).during the sixty years which they spent invading and conquering, it seems unlikely that they bred enough numbers to leave a lasting genetic legacy in a population so large and covering such a massive geographical area. My little dog has an extra canine tooth; does that mean a Mongol raped a Shih-Tsu at some time in the past?

Like you I did not google this peculiar idea - but in my case because I thought it absurd.

Perhaps you watched the National Geographic (?) show on the genetic traces left by the Huns in Switzerland.

My ex-girlfriend was 1st generation Chinese in NY. Her parents changed their surname from the Chinese (Liu) to the western (Lew) when they arrived. Everybody just wants to fit in. Having a surname like "Johnson" in Thailand is like having the name "Suvambioand$*^@boom" in the West.

Oh Mr Nocturn! Really!!! You cynic!!!! You doubter!!!!!!!

Give me some time and I'll PM you a couple of photos.

You'll see immediately that my exotic girlfriend is Thai. You'll see too that she looks Indian / Arabic. The Chinese part (25%) won't be apparent in the photo/s.

You'll probably notice her perfect nose. And when you see her hair, I doubt you'll be surprised to learn that she used to be a model for Schwarzkopf Hair Products.

If the Chinese part was 37% would it be apparent?

Have you ever noticed that some Thais have a sort of extra tooth? The extra tooth (sometimes, extra TEETH) is located in the upper jaw, to the left or right of the front teeth.

I spoke to a dentist about this. She worked at Kasetsart University and was kind enough to fix my teeth gratis.

She explained that this extra tooth (or extra teeth) is a Mongolian trait. Her opinion was that this extra tooth WHEN SEEN IN THAILAND is an indication of Chinese ancestry. I guess she felt that Mongolians must have passed on this "tooth gene" to the Chinese, and the Chinese must have brought it with them to Thailand.

This is (of course) not to say that all Thais with Chinese ancestry have that strange extra tooth, but it does suggest that those who do have it are of Chinese descent.

You may wish to Google this. I personally don't have time right now as I'm off to join the water fights.

I usually refuse to answer your nonsense but this is absolute drivel. How many teeth has your exotic lady got? Why did her super-rich parents not have that corrected during her ultra-privileged childhood?

The Mongol conquest of China took place in the twelfth century, that's a long time ago. Even if there were a genetic tendency to extra teeth amongst the Mongols (and I find that improbable).during the sixty years which they spent invading and conquering, it seems unlikely that they bred enough numbers to leave a lasting genetic legacy in a population so large and covering such a massive geographical area. My little dog has an extra canine tooth; does that mean a Mongol raped a Shih-Tsu at some time in the past?

Like you I did not google this peculiar idea - but in my case because I thought it absurd.

Perhaps you watched the National Geographic (?) show on the genetic traces left by the Huns in Switzerland.

Re-read my post, fool. Notice how I was quoting verbatim a Thai Dentist.

But then again -- and let's be honest about this -- how could these little yellow people possibly know what they're talkin about?

If you don't wish to Google this idea, fine. But you may wish to Google "racism". You may also wish to learn how to read properly.

One more point. Are you honestly saying that you've never noticed how some Thais have an extra tooth/teeth? Do you actually live here in Thailand? Please don't tell me that you're just another odd-bod who posts on this forum from another country.

My ex-girlfriend was 1st generation Chinese in NY. Her parents changed their surname from the Chinese (Liu) to the western (Lew) when they arrived. Everybody just wants to fit in. Having a surname like "Johnson" in Thailand is like having the name "Suvambioand$*^@boom" in the West.

My girlfriend's brother-in-law has the surname ABDULLAH.

But then again -- and let's be honest about this -- how could these little yellow people possibly know what they're talkin about?

If you don't wish to Google this idea, fine. But you may wish to Google "racism". You may also wish to learn how to read properly.

One more point. Are you honestly saying that you've never noticed how some Thais have an extra tooth/teeth? Do you actually live here in Thailand? Please don't tell me that you're just another odd-bod who posts on this forum from another country.

It is very easy on an anonymous internet forum to call someone a fool - you would not do that face-to face even with your much-vaunted position in the elite of Thai society.

It has no significance that you claim you were told this by a Thai dentist and are quoting verbatim. You have offered nothing to substantiate an idea that is at best unlikely.The racism you accuse me of harbouring against "little yellow people" is purely in your head.

It may be a new concept to you but having fewer or more teeth than the recognised "full set" is not unusual even in places where the Mongols never reached.

In the west it is usually corrected.

Your allegation seems more racist than anything that you tried to attribute to me; you are suggesting racial characteristics in the Thai population which I do not believe exist here, in China or in Mongolia. Dental abnormalities have been with us since prehistory.

The Mongols at their maximum fighting strength numbered about 75,000 warriors. They were nomadic herders and on campaign in China they were accompanied by their wives and families and their livestock. China, then as now had a population that was huge. How many of these Mongols do you think sired children and how many of those children would have inherited this dental abnormality? Given the size of the population of China in the 13th century how prevalent would that abnormality be within a population such as Thailand where many have no Chinese ancestry?

For your final question - I do live in Thailand.

• Like 2

It is very easy on an anonymous internet forum to call someone a fool - you would not do that face-to face even with your much-vaunted position in the elite of Thai society.

It has no significance that you claim you were told this by a Thai dentist and are quoting verbatim. You have offered nothing to substantiate an idea that is at best unlikely.The racism you accuse me of harbouring against "little yellow people" is purely in your head.

It may be a new concept to you but having fewer or more teeth than the recognised "full set" is not unusual even in places where the Mongols never reached.

Your allegation seems more racist than anything that you tried to attribute to me; you are suggesting racial characteristics in the Thai population which I do not believe exist here, in China or in Mongolia. Dental abnormalities have been with us since prehistory.

The Mongols at their maximum fighting strength numbered about 75,000 warriors. They were nomadic herders and on campaign in China they were accompanied by their wives and families and their livestock. China, then as now had a population that was huge. How many of these Mongols do you think sired children and how many of those children would have inherited this dental abnormality? Given the size of the population of China in the 13th century how prevalent would that abnormality be within a population such as Thailand where many have no Chinese ancestry?

You are historically correct, this guy MediumPacedBowler has a record of abusing members of this forum, he is getting out of control. A truly nasty piece of work.

• Like 1

You are historically correct, this guy MediumPacedBowler has a record of abusing members of this forum, he is getting out of control. A truly nasty piece of work.

Stalking again?

Why do you think it is that women in Scotland dislike you so much?

I mean, seriously, don't you feel ashamed about having to come all the way to Thailand as a sex tourist?

Stalking again?

Why do you think it is that women in Scotland dislike you so much?

I mean, seriously, don't you feel ashamed about having to come all the way to Thailand as a sex tourist?

Sorry I thought I was in Thailand setting up a business, hmmm, let me think about it. Am I the kind of guy to go on to public forums and discuss the merits of the lady in my life or do I have more class and dignity than that?

I know the answer to that question, it is easy for others to see that you are lacking class and dignity.

You are very easily offended too, for a man that likes banding around insults, that will be because you are a nonentity.

I do enjoy annoying you though.

Edited by theblether

.... You are historically correct, this guy MediumPacedBowler has a record of abusing members of this forum.....

I would think that he abuses himself more than he abuses the members herein nah?

Another spit the dummy moment brought to you by MPB....

Edited by NanLaew

Surnames didn't become a legal requirement in Thailand until 1913. Before that the vast majority of Thais only had one name.

Another factor might be the requirement that every name (combination of given name and surname) must be unique. So there can only be one John Smith, for example. (Not sure whether this is still the case, but it used to be).

This. I found out this recently. If a foreigner wishes to become a citizen he will have to register a name, and if that name is already taken, and not by a member of his or her family then they will have to choose a new name.

Yup. When they first started handing out last names a century ago, each family had to create a unique family name and it couldn't be the same as any other. You can't use a last name in Thailand that you don't have a legal right too, if some other family has taken your last name you can't use it. That is one reason why names are so long, people often change their name and you can't use a surname that is already in use if you make a new name. This affected Chinese immigrants a lot as many had the same Chinese surname, and they couldn't use the Thai translation of their name as someone else got to it first, so they had to add stuff to it to make it unique.

Stalking again?

Yes, I'm sure you do. I'm sure it makes you very happy. I'm sure it's a wonderful substitute for real life.

So, enjoy your day. Stalk to your heart's content. Stalk and be merry!!

As for what I'll be doing today -- oh I don't know -- I'll probably take my exotic pan-Asian girlfriend to lunch at The Sofitel. After that, I suppose I could ask her to take the afternoon off work in order that we can watch a movie at Siam Paragon.

In the evening? It's so hard to choose, isn't it? Perhaps dinner at a small Mexican restaurant; or perhaps a leisurely drive out to Ayuthaya.

Needless to say, I'll be too busy enjoying life to visit this little forum. But please .... don't let that worry you. Feel free to post away in my absence!! I've little doubt that with continued "commitment" you'll soon see your post count soar to 3000.

Happy posting!!

Stalking again?

As for what I'll be doing today -- oh I don't know -- I'll probably take my exotic pan-Asian girlfriend to lunch at The Sofitel. After that, I suppose I could ask her to take the afternoon off work in order that we can watch a movie at Siam Paragon.

In the evening? It's so hard to choose, isn't it? Perhaps dinner at a small Mexican restaurant; or perhaps a leisurely drive out to Ayuthaya.

Doubt all that as you spend to much time here. laugh.png

• Like 1

Doubt all that as you spend too much time here. laugh.png

"In the evening?... perhaps a leisurely drive out to Ayuthaya...."

Based on that local travel descriptor, the OP must spend his time somewhere but it doesn't sound like it is in Thailand.

Good thread this and very interesting. This is something I have always wanted to know, but been afraid to ask.

Throughout history Thailand was never colonised by any Western nations, neither did Westerners visit or settle in Thailand in large numbers. In fact Thailand has never been a true multi racial society in the sense compared to many European countries.

But I believe this is going to change within the next 20 years or so, now that there is an abundance of farangs settling in Thailand. There are my three kids who are all registered in my surname and have English Christian names and I know of many more.

One of my neighbors who he and is his wife are 100% Thai and don`t speak a word of farang, have named their two children, James and Ann, so these types of names are now becoming fashionable in Thailand.

BTW, did someone mention that there is an erotic exotic photo going around of a poster`s girlfriend?

Just FYI, there is no such thing as "farang" language.

That's like saying, "they don't speak a word of negro."

Get it together, jive turkey!

Just FYI, there is no such thing as "farang" language.

That's like saying, "they don't speak a word of negro."

Get it together, jive turkey!

I also thought the vast majority of Thais were Chinese. Perhaps l am wrong but most of the farangs on this forum their ladies are Chinese, even MINE. laugh.png

Just the last name, and only when applying for a name from TPTB. Once the family has been thus established, all people with that surname will obviously be related, but there can and will be repeats over time and this isn't regulated.

Extra in what sense? Can't say I've noticed it in 13 years and I've looked in a lot of mouths 8-)

I stand corrected, just speculating as I remember a US-Thai mentioning something about it.

Actually can be true, but in very limited situations when running up against a bigoted local official, no legal basis for it, but they can make life miserable for people "claiming to be Thai" with a foreign surname.