European Surnames In Thailand

MediumPaceBowler

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would call 100,000 Japanese a lot of people and they stayed or passed through for 4 years. 50,000 Americans for 10 years lived in Thailand and hundreds of thousands more came for a week at a time to increase the gene pool for 10 years.

Yes but contributing to the gene pool is not the same as legitimizing an heir.

Plus having a farang surname is rarely a positive thing culturally, and causes endless complications with local bureaucrats.

There isn't any tradition here, hence little cultural accommodation for "Thai nationals" that are actually foreign.

Thus the reason the recent-immigrant Chinese who dominate Thailand's economy have fully acculturated and self-identify primarily as Thai, only maintaining their Chinese aspects as secondary and relatively private.

The Thai Chinese have to speak the Teochew dialect to conduct business and borrow money from private Chinese banks and other off the books Chinese money sources. Being ethnic Chinese guarantees repayment of the loans so the credit requirements are far less stringent than normal Thais face. And that is the big deal about Thai Chinese controlling Thailand. They borrow money cheaper. So they can do any deal or buy or build anything cheaper than a native Thai.

Geez, maybe this was the case when you were a kid in the 1880's, but the fact is most descendants don't speak any apart from a few select words.

You borrow money at those secret banks in Bangkok? Do you have a private banker? Mine has an office in a big building and it has a vault but normally there is only one customer at a time in the bank. They unlock the front door. Say hi. Take me in a big office and get me green tea and everyone knows my name. You got one of those? Just checking, maybe you have to have been a kid in the 1880's.

I forgot. The bank is so Hi So I have to give them a photo ID just to get on the elevator!

Edited by kerryk

Having married a Thai last year who chose to keep her own surname, I wonder if it is a cultural thing?

No, it is not.

In fact l would worry if my wife didn't want my name. unsure.png

It's probably quite sensible, as she's now likely to receive less contempt and resentfulness by petty Thai admin/government workers whenever she needs to do something official.

Doesn't he know that Thais don't like Chinese people?

Lol, what is this? 1950? Thai people love Sino-Thai women because of their beautiful skin. Older thai people may remember the Chinese immigrants and some negativity may stem from then because of their lack of manners (my mother always had endless things to say about them, "don't tuck your shirt in too tight, it makes you look Chinese", "don't pick your nose, only Chinese do that", etc), but much of that negativity has been lost through the assimilation of the Sino-Thai and the generosity of their elite. Any negativity you hear today tends to come from the lower class people, in particular from Isaan who don't have much exposure to them or are just jealous at their success.

Doesn't he know that Thais don't like Chinese people?

Lol, what is this? 1950? Thai people love Sino-Thai women because of their beautiful skin. Older thai people may remember the Chinese immigrants and some negativity may stem from then because of their lack of manners (my mother always had endless things to say about them, "don't tuck your shirt in too tight, it makes you look Chinese", "don't pick your nose, only Chinese do that", etc), but much of that negativity has been lost through the assimilation of the Sino-Thai and the generosity of their elite. Any negativity you hear today tends to come from the lower class people, in particular from Isaan who don't have much exposure to them or are just jealous at their success.

It is part of my cross cultural mystique. Some days I think it is cool to be Thai Chinese and others I don't. Kinda of like some days you feel like a nut some days you don't.

The Thai Chinese have to speak the Teochew dialect to conduct business and borrow money from private Chinese banks and other off the books Chinese money sources. Being ethnic Chinese guarantees repayment of the loans so the credit requirements are far less stringent than normal Thais face. And that is the big deal about Thai Chinese controlling Thailand. They borrow money cheaper. So they can do any deal or buy or build anything cheaper than a native Thai.

Geez, maybe this was the case when you were a kid in the 1880's, but the fact is most descendants don't speak any apart from a few select words.

You borrow money at those secret banks in Bangkok? Do you have a private banker? Mine has an office in a big building and it has a vault but normally there is only one customer at a time in the bank. They unlock the front door. Say hi. Take me in a big office and get me green tea and everyone knows my name. You got one of those? Just checking, maybe you have to have been a kid in the 1880's.

I forgot. The bank is so Hi So I have to give them a photo ID just to get on the elevator!

Do the speak Latin to you there as well?

Do the speak Latin to you there as well?

Teochew dialect

^ That one flew over your head eh. rolleyes.gif

Which one? The wannabe mod post or the other one?

Probably best for you to get Transam to explain what a wind-up is.

http://www.thaivisa....25#entry5180872

cheesy.gif

As you don't seem all that bright. sad.png

Never mind, eh.

Good thing I am not too bright or I would know that attacking the poster instead of what he says is a flame!!

^^ What's a 'flame'?

laugh.png

Yes that is the question. You are not supposed to do it on Thai Visa. Check the posting rules. This is a good example. I responded to your question, "What is a flame." If I had said you are a "dummy" for not knowing what a flame is, that would be a flame. Get it? Don't attack the person confine your response to what the person writes. It is assumed that people who flame don't have the intellectual ability to respond to what another poster has written so they attack the poster instead. Like when a small child says, " na na na you are stupid."

Having married a Thai last year who chose to keep her own surname, I wonder if it is a cultural thing?

No, it is not.

I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't unpack too much though.

giggle.gif

My wife kept hers, I think she didn't expect me to want to stay in Chonburi too long.

No, it is not.

I wouldn't worry. I wouldn't unpack too much though.

giggle.gif

My wife kept hers, I think she didn't expect me to want to stay in Chonburi too long.

Paddy ? cowboy.gif

Do you have a stand up routine to give?

transam, I like your posts, especially your rubuttals of warped's tyre pressure garbage....but you have to admit that samran got you with the best one line comeback on TV so far this year

Edited by Jangot
  • Like 1

Paddy ? cowboy.gif

Do you have a stand up routine to give?

transam, I like your posts, especially your rubuttals of warped's tyre pressure garbage....but you have to admit that samran got you with the best one line comeback on TV so far this year

Yes, agree, and all good fun eh. clap2.gif