Thaksin Hails 'Signs Of Reconciliation' At Mass Rally

Lite Beer

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you agree as long as it is endorsed by a PTP controlled parliament there is no need to hold dialogue with anyone who disagrees and consider their point of view right?

I'll think you'll find that the quote I posted here emphasises that abhisit has little interest in reconciliation. He pays lip service to it, as when he set up the TRCT but ensured that it did not have sub-peona powers, thus rendering it toothless.

I have to agree with Thaksin about signs of reconciliation - nobody tried to shoot him (yet). Perhaps they heard about his immortality amulet.

Whatever the numbers, there certainly wasn't enough to feed his ego, or risk a war.

He had already lined up the elephants as they are a symbol of power.

Who wants to go against Khmer amulet AND 9 Elephants??

So you agree as long as it is endorsed by a PTP controlled parliament there is no need to hold dialogue with anyone who disagrees and consider their point of view right?

I'll think you'll find that the quote I posted here emphasises that abhisit has little interest in reconciliation. He pays lip service to it, as when he set up the TRCT but ensured that it did not have sub-peona powers, thus rendering it toothless.

You dodge the question.

In case you missed it I will repeat it for you.

"So you agree as long as it is endorsed by a PTP controlled parliament there is no need to hold dialogue with anyone who disagrees and consider their point of view right?"

I know and you know that is your belief as long as it is Thaksin controlled time to man up and admit it.passifier.gif

Thank you rubl.

Thats exactly what this is about.

So it's not all about Thaksin, it's about the truth of the numbers of ordinary people who attend rallies in a completely different country having paid their own way to get there?

Go back and read rubl´s post and see if you can understand it.cowboy.gif

Thaksin reiterates his homecoming will occur this year

image_20120415130202B498016C-C6F8-5F30-9B3762CBA205B99E.jpg

SIEM REAP, April 15 -- Thailand's ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra on Sunday morning led his supporters to give alms to Buddhist monks in the Cambodian province of Siem Reap on the occasion of Songkran Festival while reiterating that he would return to Thailand very soon.

Accompanied by his son Panthongtae, his younger sister Yaowapa Wongsawat, as well as leading members of the ruling Pheu Thai Party and the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) or the Red Shirt movement, Thaskin led them on a round of alms giving to 256 Buddhist monks in a merit-making ceremony.

The ousted premier expressed appreciation to the UDD supporters who joined the ceremony and gave him full support.

Mr Thaksin was deposed in 2006 bloodless coup. He has been living in self exile ever since, mostly in Dubai, to avoid serving a two-year jail term for violating a conflict-of-interest law.

On Saturday evening, he addressed his supporters who had crossed the border to meet him at Cultural Plaza where the Red Shirts organised an event to mark the Thai traditional new year Songkran Festival amid tight security.

Repeating his earlier words that he would return to Thailand very soon, Thaksin told his supporters, “I am confident that the year 2012 is an auspicious year for all of us to live peacefully without any serious challenges, as it marks the auspicious occasions of the 60th birthday anniversary of HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn which falls on July 28th and the 80th birthday anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Sirikit [which falls on August 12th]."

“There are things indicating that I could return home to stay with my brothers,” the 63-year-old ex-premier said, adding that he was overwhelmed by the many supporters who have turned up for him wanting him to return to Thailand. He said it would not be a long wait as he would return to Thailand very soon.

He said all of Thailand has been suffering over the past six years, as everybody wanted the country to regain normalcy, and he was confident he could rejoin his supporters in Thailand to repay their faith.

Praising Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, his youngest sister, for her strength which he described as “beyond his expectation,” Thaksin asked the crowd whether or not Thailand’s first female premier ever let the people down since she was elected overwhelmingly last July.

Mr Thaksin earlier visited Lao PDR and spent three days in the neighbouring country where he was also warmly received by another large crowd of Red Shirt supporters who crossed the Mekong River to pay respects to their leader. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-15

Thank you rubl.

So it's not all about Thaksin, it's about the truth of the numbers of ordinary people who attend rallies in a completely different country having paid their own way to get there?

'A completely different country', well, for most in the north east I guess its nearer than Bangkok, so no mean feat just to pop over the border, farangs here have been doing it for years! Good effort though, you should try out for the 'Nation'.

'Having paid their own way to get there' I would imagine there would be compensation available somewhere, besides Hun Sen laid on coaches at the border for some.

And the numbers? More people in Silom last night 'sharing the love' at Songkran time, than at the rally, they couldn't give 2 hoots about the guy.

'A completely different country', well, for most in the north east I guess its nearer than Bangkok, so no mean feat just to pop over the border, farangs here have been doing it for years! Good effort though, you should try out for the 'Nation'.

You guessed wrong. Even from the nearest large town (Surin), it's several hours to Siem Reap.

'Having paid their own way to get there' I would imagine there would be compensation available somewhere, besides Hun Sen laid on coaches at the border for some.

You're guessing again, a pointless exercise in debate.

And the numbers? More people in Silom last night 'sharing the love' at Songkran time, than at the rally, they couldn't give 2 hoots about the guy.

Did you ask them all? I suspect most of them have strong opinions one way or the other on Thaksin, but one only finds out if they do and what they are by talking to people wink.png .

Thought of applying for a job at The Nation?

• Like 1

Mr Thaksin was deposed in 2006 bloodless coup. He has been living in self exile ever since, mostly in Dubai, to avoid serving a two-year jail term for violating a conflict-of-interest law.

(MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-15

What a drivel! He left Thailand in 2008, under the premises of going to the Olympics in Beijing! He saw the writings on the wall that he would be convicted.

The argument that this was a political conviction holds no water cause the Constitution under which he was sentenced was approved by the people of Thailand! The majority of Thais, including the red shirts, approved the Constitution by referendum! An argument that is swept under the carpet by the Shinawatra Dynasty!

+1

You guessed wrong. Even from the nearest large town (Surin), it's several hours to Siem Reap.

You're guessing again, a pointless exercise in debate.

Did you ask them all? I suspect most of them have strong opinions one way or the other on Thaksin, but one only finds out if they do and what they are by talking to people wink.png .

Thought of applying for a job at The Nation?

I'll stick with my guessing as opposed with your thoughts, Surin is 275km from Siem Reap, 485 from Bangkok, you do the maths. Besides it's reported in the press that Hun Sen laid on some coaches, didn't guess that one.

Anyway cheers for your reply, I tried out for the Nation, they said my debates weren't pointless enough, suggest you give them a go, you seem to be much more qualified than me smile.png

Catch you later, I'm off to Silom, I'll survey a cross section of the thousands down there, I'll post the results later

Edited by sungod

I'll stick with my guessing as opposed with your thoughts, Surin is 275km from Siem Reap, 485 from Bangkok, you do the maths,

Anyway cheers for your reply, I tried out for the Nation, they said my debates weren't pointless enough, suggest you give them a go, you seem to be much more qualified than me smile.png

Catch you later, I'm off to Silom, I'll survey a cross section of the thousands down there, I'll post the results later

Actually, the maths of distance is quite irrelevant if you know the first thing about that part of the world. It's all about the road infrastructures. It takes far longer get from one end of Isaan to another than it does to get to Bangkok from any of the major towns in Isaan. And the roads in Cambodia are on another (inferior) level entirely.

Trying to ridicule a poster with ignorance and guessing isn't wise.

Anyway, have a good 'un in Silom.

I have to agree with Thaksin about signs of reconciliation - nobody tried to shoot him (yet). Perhaps they heard about his immortality amulet.

Whatever the numbers, there certainly wasn't enough to feed his ego, or risk a war.

His biggest hazard will probably be an ex-Red who feels he wasn't compensated as promised. We all know how ugly it can get around here when somebody doesn't get money they think they deserve. There was an incident of an Issani a few months back who went to visit T in Cambodia, where he was holding court at the time, to collect compensation he never received and the goons tossed him out without letting him get near Big Boss. I'm sure that guy is still stewing, and that there are lot's more like him.

His biggest hazard will probably be an ex-Red who feels he wasn't compensated as promised. We all know how ugly it can get around here when somebody doesn't get money they think they deserve. There was an incident of an Issani a few months back who went to visit T in Cambodia, where he was holding court at the time, to collect compensation he never received and the goons tossed him out without letting him get near Big Boss. I'm sure that guy is still stewing, and that there are lot's more like him.

Or a family member of one of the abandoned reds serving prision sentences for following arson orders of Thaksin's minions. Who by the way got promoted to government positions and became MPs.

I'll stick with my guessing as opposed with your thoughts, Surin is 275km from Siem Reap, 485 from Bangkok, you do the maths,

Actually, the maths of distance is quite irrelevant if you know the first thing about that part of the world. It's all about the road infrastructures. It takes far longer get from one end of Isaan to another than it does to get to Bangkok from any of the major towns in Isaan. And the roads in Cambodia are on another (inferior) level entirely.

Mate, down in Silom at the moment, tried asking some people their thoughts on the matter, not surprisingly the ones who didn't look at me like I just came from another planet said i need to get out more, I think they have a point.

Friendly word of advice, suggest you do the same,

The long winter evenings must just fly by at your house :)

(Posted with sausage fingers on a mobile device)

Mate, down in Silom at the moment, tried asking some people their thoughts on the matter, not surprisingly the ones who didn't look at me like I just came from another planet said i need to get out more, I think they have a point.

The long winter evenings must just fly by at your house smile.png

Yeah, there are times and places for discussing politics. This section is ThaiVisa is one of them.

I get out plenty (too much, probably). Just off out now, in fact, doing something similar to you, then probably catch Man United close in on their 20th top tier title smile.png.

In the real world you are 100% correct. But in PTP's world it is "my way or no way". Case in point is Yongyuth's statement. We don't need no stinkin dialogue with people comes to mind.

It's very difficult to hold dialogue with people who were stating, even back in December 2011;

"If the red-shirt movement does not come to an end, then the reconciliation cannot be achieved as per the 66/23 model,"

(Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, who is also deputy chairman of the House of Representatives committee on reconciliation, said earlier that his panel would study the 66/23 formula for reconciliation.

The 66/23 model was used by General Prem Tinsulanonda's government, which allowed communists to return to society and join a national development programme.)

http://www.nationmul...e-30172336.html

You're taking that statement out of context, PPD.

"cannot be achieved as per the 66/23 model"

The 66/23 model was designed to bring students back in that were not following the communist ideology. How does that model work for the red shirts if they continue to have their "Red Shirt / Thaksin" villages?

Actually it was Prems idea of bringing in the communists and incorporating them back into society after theThammaset University massacres of 1976.

Abhisit wants the red shirts to completely disband, just like that and be reindoctrinated into society.

The problem here, and one of Abhisits main mental blocks, is that the red shirts already are members of society.

They are not communists whose ideals have to be washed away before they can accepted back into ordinary society, they are normal people with normal needs and wants, and what they want most is to have their electoral choices respected.

What are his views of the PAD, does he want them disbanded and reabsorbed into society?

• Like 1

The long winter evenings must just fly by at your house smile.png

Yeah, there are times and places for discussing politics. This section is ThaiVisa is one of them.

I get out plenty (too much, probably). Just off out now, in fact, doing something similar to you, then probably catch Man United close in on their 20th top tier title smile.png.

And I shall be staying up to watch Chelsea in the semis, seeing as there is no chance of us winning the title, good luck to you :)

(MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-04-15

What a drivel! He left Thailand in 2008, under the premises of going to the Olympics in Beijing! He saw the writings on the wall that he would be convicted.

The argument that this was a political conviction holds no water cause the Constitution under which he was sentenced was approved by the people of Thailand! The majority of Thais, including the red shirts, approved the Constitution by referendum! An argument that is swept under the carpet by the Shinawatra Dynasty!

Just a shame that only 33% of the eligible voting population voted for the 2007 constitution in the referendum and that was with all the bases loaded.

“I am confident that the year 2012 is an auspicious year for all of us to live peacefully without any serious challenges, as it marks the auspicious occasions of the 60th birthday anniversary of HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn which falls on July 28th and the 80th birthday anniversary of Her Majesty Queen Sirikit [which falls on August 12th]."

I'm thinking that Thaksin will use the birthday anniversaries as opportunities to give them some huge gifts.

According to statements made in the article "Daring double game in Thailand" on the Asia Times web site, the old institutions can be:

subdued through cash and contracts
Edited by hyperdimension

It's very difficult to hold dialogue with people who were stating, even back in December 2011;

"If the red-shirt movement does not come to an end, then the reconciliation cannot be achieved as per the 66/23 model,"

(Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, who is also deputy chairman of the House of Representatives committee on reconciliation, said earlier that his panel would study the 66/23 formula for reconciliation.

The 66/23 model was used by General Prem Tinsulanonda's government, which allowed communists to return to society and join a national development programme.)

http://www.nationmul...e-30172336.html

You're taking that statement out of context, PPD.

"cannot be achieved as per the 66/23 model"

The 66/23 model was designed to bring students back in that were not following the communist ideology. How does that model work for the red shirts if they continue to have their "Red Shirt / Thaksin" villages?

Actually it was Prems idea of bringing in the communists and incorporating them back into society after theThammaset University massacres of 1976.

Abhisit wants the red shirts to completely disband, just like that and be reindoctrinated into society.

The problem here, and one of Abhisits main mental blocks, is that the red shirts already are members of society.

They are not communists whose ideals have to be washed away before they can accepted back into ordinary society, they are normal people with normal needs and wants, and what they want most is to have their electoral choices respected.

What are his views of the PAD, does he want them disbanded and reabsorbed into society?

I thought your quote had

"Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, who is also deputy chairman of the House of Representatives committee on reconciliation, said earlier that his panel would study the 66/23 formula for reconciliation."

Just a shame that only 33% of the eligible voting population voted for the 2007 constitution in the referendum and that was with all the bases loaded.

Interestingly it was a similar proportion who voted for PTP in the July-2011 election, 15.7 million votes out of approx. 45 million eligible-voters, and with some of the incredible pre-election promises one might also argue that the bases had similarly been loaded at election-time.

I thought your quote had

"Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, who is also deputy chairman of the House of Representatives committee on reconciliation, said earlier that his panel would study the 66/23 formula for reconciliation."

Yes it does, so they would study it. However as he is a party list PTP and not a red shirt leader he is not in a position to affect any red shirt actions and therefore irrelevant to my argument.

"There are signs of reconciliation. Everybody wants it... There are signs that I will be able to return home to stay with you," he said, adding that royal anniversaries this year make it an "auspicious time".

I guess I should have gone myself to ask for an elaboration on what the heck these signs are.

Strictly speaking to refer to 'royal anniversaries make it an auspicious time' in a political oriented topic could see dear leader suspended in this forum giggle.gif

Interestingly it was a similar proportion who voted for PTP in the July-2011 election, 15.7 million votes out of approx. 45 million eligible-voters, and with some of the incredible pre-election promises one might also argue that the bases had similarly been loaded at election-time.

Not quite similar is it - the referendum was a simple yes / no vote, 33% voted for it and it was still passed.

The election was a vote for several different parties, and you're right the bases were loaded, but not for the PTP.

If the PTP got 33% of the votes,I'll take your word for it but what percentage did the democrat party get, not including the other parties or lost votes, or no votes, just the democrat party expressed in the same way you expressed the PTP percentage?

Perhaps an aide memoir might be in order

Electionresults2012.jpg?t=1334492144

33%..................?

Edited by phiphidon

Thank you rubl.

"Having paid there own way to get there" - you expect people will believe that?

Edited by scorecard

Thank you rubl.

"Having paid there own way to get there" - you expect people will believe that?

On this forum - are you kidding! In real life, yes of course

I decided to spend Songkran in Siem Reap. I made that decision before the red shirt rally was announced.

I wasn't concerned about it, other than the potential impact on roads etc - I doubted that all the Isaan farmers would venture into Pub Street anyway. A couple of people were p!ssed off that they were not allowed to go to Angkor Wat yesterday as it had been 'reserved' for the red shirts.

On Saturday evening 3 of us decided to go to the 'red shirt' rally site. We took the view that, whilst we were not supporters of Thaksin, we were in Siem Reap and had the opportunity to see history happening at first hand.

First, I should comment on what appeared to be first-class organisation on the part of the hosts. When we arrived in Siem Reap on Friday night we saw how the site had been prepared with thousands of (red) seats, a stage, hundreds of stewards/police and a large army presence. I don't think any trouble was expected and security was as much for Thaksin's protection as anything.

We took a tuk-tuk out to the site and had to park about a kilometre away. We entered via an airport-type scanner and went to watch Thaksin - who at this point was singing on stage. I suggest that he does not pursue that as a career !!

The highlight was when he left. I say this because at this point he had whipped up the crowd, if not into a frenzy, at least to an excitable pitch of clapper clapping. It took sometime for the star of the show to exit the stage and make his way by car just past where we were standing. There were a dozen escort vehicles and probably 50 'special' security guys running alongside the car ready to 'take a bullet'.

Pure theatre.

Whilst walking out I passed within inches of, and made eye-contact with, Arisaman. I still can't believe how he evaded police custody...

The hosts were magnificent and the red shirt guests were impeccably behaved ( a little loud in a couple of tourist attractions - but that is the Thai way).

I have absolutely no idea how many people were there. I would estimate 10,000 to 15,000. A friend said 5,000 to 10,000.

Frank and neutral accounts of such events are always highly valued - big thanks.

I decided to spend Songkran in Siem Reap. I made that decision before the red shirt rally was announced.

I wasn't concerned about it, other than the potential impact on roads etc - I doubted that all the Isaan farmers would venture into Pub Street anyway. A couple of people were p!ssed off that they were not allowed to go to Angkor Wat yesterday as it had been 'reserved' for the red shirts.

On Saturday evening 3 of us decided to go to the 'red shirt' rally site. We took the view that, whilst we were not supporters of Thaksin, we were in Siem Reap and had the opportunity to see history happening at first hand.

First, I should comment on what appeared to be first-class organisation on the part of the hosts. When we arrived in Siem Reap on Friday night we saw how the site had been prepared with thousands of (red) seats, a stage, hundreds of stewards/police and a large army presence. I don't think any trouble was expected and security was as much for Thaksin's protection as anything.

We took a tuk-tuk out to the site and had to park about a kilometre away. We entered via an airport-type scanner and went to watch Thaksin - who at this point was singing on stage. I suggest that he does not pursue that as a career !!

The highlight was when he left. I say this because at this point he had whipped up the crowd, if not into a frenzy, at least to an excitable pitch of clapper clapping. It took sometime for the star of the show to exit the stage and make his way by car just past where we were standing. There were a dozen escort vehicles and probably 50 'special' security guys running alongside the car ready to 'take a bullet'.

Pure theatre.

Whilst walking out I passed within inches of, and made eye-contact with, Arisaman. I still can't believe how he evaded police custody...

The hosts were magnificent and the red shirt guests were impeccably behaved ( a little loud in a couple of tourist attractions - but that is the Thai way).

I have absolutely no idea how many people were there. I would estimate 10,000 to 15,000. A friend said 5,000 to 10,000.

According to the Nation.

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, his son, sister and Pheu Thai MPs led about 20,000 red-shirt people to make merit at the Angkor Wat in Cambodia's Siem Reap Sunday.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thaksin-leads-20000-red-shirts-to-make-merit-in-Si-30179985.html