Thaksin Hails 'Signs Of Reconciliation' At Mass Rally

Lite Beer

Thaksin hails 'signs of reconciliation' at mass rally

Siem Reap, Cambodia, April 14, 2012 (AFP) - Ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra said Saturday Thailand could begin to heal its deep political rifts in an address to thousands of "Red Shirt" supporters in Cambodia.

Thaksin, a divisive figure in his homeland who lives abroad to avoid a jail term for corruption, was greeted with cheers in northwestern Siem Reap province, in the first major rally he has attended since being toppled from power in a military coup in 2006.

"There are signs of reconciliation. Everybody wants it... There are signs that I will be able to return home to stay with you," he said, adding that royal anniversaries this year make it an "auspicious time".

Up to 30,000 people had gathered at the site, according to Siem Reap deputy provincial governor Bun Tharith, although an AFP reporter at the scene said the crowd appeared closer to 10,000.

Supporters, who filed through x-ray machines to enter the arena, carried pictures of the former tycoon and waved banners that read: "We want Thaksin home".

Many had made the journey across the border in hundreds of cars and buses to see their hero, who lives in Dubai to avoid a two-year prison sentence that he contends is politically motivated.

Thaksin is much-loved by many poor Thais but hated by parts of the Bangkok-based elite in military, palace and bureaucratic circles who see him as a threat to the monarchy.

Mass Red Shirt protests in the Thai capital in 2010 descended into the kingdom's worst political violence in decades, with more than 90 people -- mostly civilians -- killed in a military crackdown.

Thaksin, whose sister became Thai prime minister in 2011, has appeared by video link at the Reds' mass rallies and he sent an address from neighbouring Laos on Wednesday to say he expects to set foot in Thailand again this year.

The businessman-turned-politician, who followed his speech with renditions of popular Thai songs, told the crown there had been four failed attempts on his life, but declined to give details, adding: "I survived, I will not die".

Phnom Penh put on a large security presence for the event in Siem Reap, best known as the gateway to Cambodia's famed temples, but denied there was any particular threat.

Cambodia and Thailand traded heavy arms fire over a disputed border in early 2011 under the previous Thai government, but ties have warmed significantly since Thaksin's sister Yingluck took power.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-04-14

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"... I will not die". Oh my! Delusions of immortality, as well as many other less charming traits.

" .....an AFP reporter at the scene said the crowd appeared closer to 10,000." Would that include the 4500 Cambodian security, and the Red Guards (I assume paid attendees),

The delusional world of Thaksin, 'everybody wants it', this guy will be quite happy to destroy Thailand just to get what he wants--rather than what anybody else wants, let alone what everybody wants.

Yes.

He is so full of vengeance, he is willing to do anything for it.

I wish he just would vanish.

"... I will not die". Oh my! Delusions of immortality, as well as many other less charming traits.

" .....an AFP reporter at the scene said the crowd appeared closer to 10,000." Would that include the 4500 Cambodian security, and the Red Guards (I assume paid attendees),

Don´t forget the "rented" Cambodian Redshirts.

and the incidental tourists, reporters and those on visa runs.

"There are signs of reconciliation. Everybody wants it... There are signs that I will be able to return home to stay with you," he said

or in other words, as Dept. PM and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit said

"There is no need for the government to hold dialogue with people who still disagree with key elements of the national reconciliation plan as it has been endorsed by Parliament"

• Like 2

And the fake redshirts.....all in all probably only about 30-40 people genuine red shirts.

Every time it's the same, you guys ought to take a look at yourselves, trying to downgrade the numbers, passifier.gif .

What difference to you do the numbers make - you don't even like the guy.

• Like 1

And the fake redshirts.....all in all probably only about 30-40 people genuine red shirts.

Every time it's the same, you guys ought to take a look at yourselves, trying to downgrade the numbers, passifier.gif .

Independent of 'liking the guy', there are posters here who like the truth which includes numbers wai.gif

I think that if Thaksin wants to keep talking about 'reconciliation' then we need to a clear definition of what he thinks the word means. It might be safe to assume that his interpretation of the word is at variance with its standard use--i.e. merely a euthanisam for should not go to jail and I never did anything wrong.

• Like 1

come on phiphidon, they have a point, you know....

once you account for all of their paid-for fantasy-spectators and holograms, it just becomes an intimate family outing.

;)

"There are signs of reconciliation. Everybody wants it... There are signs that I will be able to return home to stay with you," he said

"There is no need for the government to hold dialogue with people who still disagree with key elements of the national reconciliation plan as it has been endorsed by Parliament"

Perhaps I'm not clear about reconcilliation, I thought it meant conversing and exchanging views with people whom you disagree with.

Perhaps I'm not clear about reconcilliation, I thought it meant conversing and exchanging views with people whom you disagree with.

In the real world you are 100% correct. But in PTP's world it is "my way or no way". Case in point is Yongyuth's statement. We don't need no stinkin dialogue with people comes to mind.

Thank you rubl.

Thats exactly what this is about.

So it's not all about Thaksin, it's about the truth of the numbers of ordinary people who attend rallies in a completely different country having paid their own way to get there?

Manchester City 6 Norwich City 1, the news just get better and better. A spokesperson for the EMPL said there were no plans to broadcast any gathering in Laos or Cambodia during the half time interval.

In the real world you are 100% correct. But in PTP's world it is "my way or no way". Case in point is Yongyuth's statement. We don't need no stinkin dialogue with people comes to mind.

It's very difficult to hold dialogue with people who were stating, even back in December 2011;

"If the red-shirt movement does not come to an end, then the reconciliation cannot be achieved as per the 66/23 model,"

(Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, who is also deputy chairman of the House of Representatives committee on reconciliation, said earlier that his panel would study the 66/23 formula for reconciliation.

The 66/23 model was used by General Prem Tinsulanonda's government, which allowed communists to return to society and join a national development programme.)

http://www.nationmul...e-30172336.html

Edited by phiphidon
  • Like 1

It's very difficult to hold dialogue with people who were stating, even back in December 2011;

"If the red-shirt movement does not come to an end, then the reconciliation cannot be achieved as per the 66/23 model,"

(Pheu Thai MP Wattana Muangsuk, who is also deputy chairman of the House of Representatives committee on reconciliation, said earlier that his panel would study the 66/23 formula for reconciliation.

The 66/23 model was used by General Prem Tinsulanonda's government, which allowed communists to return to society and join a national development programme.)

You're taking that statement out of context, PPD.

"cannot be achieved as per the 66/23 model"

The 66/23 model was designed to bring students back in that were not following the communist ideology. How does that model work for the red shirts if they continue to have their "Red Shirt / Thaksin" villages?

So you agree as long as it is endorsed by a PTP controlled parliament there is no need to hold dialogue with anyone who disagrees and consider their point of view right?

Thaksin leads 20,000 red-shirts to make merit in Siem Reap

Former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, his son, sister and Pheu Thai MPs led about 20,000 red-shirt people to make merit at the Angkor Wat in Cambodia's Siem Reap Sunday.

They gave alms to 265 monks on the occasion of Songkran festival.

Accompanying Thaksin were his son, Pantongtae, his sister, Yaowapha Wongsawat, leading Pheu Thai MPs and red-shirt leaders.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-15

I have to agree with Thaksin about signs of reconciliation - nobody tried to shoot him (yet). Perhaps they heard about his immortality amulet.

Whatever the numbers, there certainly wasn't enough to feed his ego, or risk a war.