Democrats read between lines of Thaksin's 'return' comment

Lite Beer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps pouting because his personal six point reconciliation plan is not (at least at the moment) getting airplay.

Possibly.

A brief reminder.You were suggesting to another member he read up on Thai history (good advice), and I asked for the details of a contemporary volume that you would particularly recommend.I'm sure other members would also be grateful since it's sometimes difficult to keep track of the narrative let alone the context and interpretation.Look forward to hearing from you.

So 20th century! Try Google, and removing the red lenses.

• Like 1

"Pheu Thai Party Bangkok MP Jirayu Huangsab said Thaksin's statement that he would return within the next three or four months did not reflect the party's intentions, but was a personal view Thaksin had expressed since Samak Sundaravej was premier."

Meaning Thaksin has been predicting mid-2012 since Samak was premier? Or has been talking of 3 to 4 months since Samak's time?

Regarding Samak's cookery show, I seem to remember a British PM who was a choir master who gave public performances, a royal family that own racehorses which compete publicly and commercially, a Royal consort who competes in carriage dressage events, several princesses and husbands that compete in public horse shows, Middle Eastern rulers that own football clubs, even in one country a king who competes in yacht races and used to broadcast his jazz band.

I see nothing wrong with any of these activities, just as I see nothing wrong with Samak's show, by all account a popular public service.

You may look at the law which bans elected officials from accepting gratuities and payments for the obvious reasons. You might investigate who produced the cooking show.

But it is icing on the cake when the lying sack of <deleted> stands up in court and perjures himself. I'd ask if you know any elected officials who have done the same and stayed in office, but the answer is glaring, recent and local.

Ah yes the LAW, we mustn't forget the law, commonsense is irrelevantcoffee1.gif

Are you <deleted> serious? The law that says politicians can't accept bribes, can't perjure themselves is AGAINST common sense?

Face it - Samak's nickname was "ankles" because he was 3' lower than a <deleted>. Thaksin's should be "big toe" because he's even lower.

My God, you are so right, what a fool I was to argue with someone who debates with such "vigour".!

Forgive me but I would prefer to hear from Scorecard who though we have different politics seems to be firmly rooted in Thai society and culture.Your posts in contrast indicate very clearly your level of understanding and analysis.I'm sure Google and Wikipedia have been your indispensable standbys - it's rather obvious though if I may say so an undisciplined thought process is hard to disguise.I don't wish to be patronising and I'm sure you have an audience out there.

For the more serious this isn't a political point.I have been reading recently a collection of essays on May 2010 (published by Silkwood this month) in which a supercontribution by Michael Connors demolishes some of Thaksin's pretensions.But I haven't yet found a general account that is fully satisfactory:I am an admirer of Baker/Pasuk's work but would like to find a different but reliable standard account.

Are you <deleted> serious? The law that says politicians can't accept bribes, can't perjure themselves is AGAINST common sense?

Face it - Samak's nickname was "ankles" because he was 3' lower than a <deleted>. Thaksin's should be "big toe" because he's even lower.

My God, you are so right, what a fool I was to argue with someone who debates with such "vigour".!

Facts are a great armor against vigor. Got any?

Forgive me but I would prefer to hear from Scorecard who though we have different politics seems to be firmly rooted in Thai society and culture.Your posts in contrast indicate very clearly your level of understanding and analysis.I'm sure Google and Wikipedia have been your indispensable standbys - it's rather obvious though if I may say so an undisciplined thought process is hard to disguise.I don't wish to be patronising and I'm sure you have an audience out there.

For the more serious this isn't a political point.I have been reading recently a collection of essays on May 2010 (published by Silkwood this month) in which a supercontribution by Michael Connors demolishes some of Thaksin's pretensions.But I haven't yet found a general account that is fully satisfactory:I am an admirer of Baker/Pasuk's work but would like to find a different but reliable standard account.

Of course you didn't mean to be patronising, but you can't help it.

BTW I have pointed out before that your Latin contains spelling mistakes.

You don't seem to get it at all, I was contrasting common sense with the strict letter of the law. Commonsense is a subjective quality, as such it does not rely on facts.

You don't seem to get it at all, I was contrasting common sense with the strict letter of the law. Commonsense is a subjective quality, as such it does not rely on facts.

OK, I'll bite. Tell me why your touchy feelly says MPs, or PMs, should be allowed to accept payments from suspect 3rd parties, lie about it in court, and that's all right.

While you are at it, please explain why PPP didn't agree with you and went with Somchai.

OK, I'll bite. Tell me why your touchy feelly says MPs, or PMs, should be allowed to accept payments from suspect 3rd parties, lie about it in court, and that's all right.

While you are at it, please explain why PPP didn't agree with you and went with Somchai.

I'm getting fed up with this inquisition, so let us reverse roles. What was his salary as a PM, what was his remuneration for his TV show? Were they of comparable magnitudes? Did his show interfere with his duties, were they of benefit to the audience, I gather they were very popular.

As to the PPP they probably realised that the Dems (or should I say army) were the law at that time so Somak was a dead duck.

However my touchy feeliy , whatever that is, tells me that it is a waste of time discussing this further, you are just aiming to provoke and I'm too old to go for that. So topic is closed.

I'm sure you will want a Parthian shot, but I will ignore itmfr_closed1.gif

I remember the number 80,000 baht regarding Samak's TV paycheck but I have no idea if it was per show or per month.

It is also a matter of principle - one show might not have distracted him too much from his PM duties, what about two shows per week? What if he decided to do three shows? What if he wanted to do a daily show? What if he took a consultant position to some large private company and had to submit weekly reports on their business strategies and prospects?

Any show needs to be filmed and so Samak, the prime minister, needs to move his prime ministerial schedule to allow time for that. How's that not interfering with his PM job?

To me the great unanswered question is if the oft quoted opinion of "Thaksin should return and serve his sentence" were to come true then what then? You've got a "clean slate" Thaksin on your hands with a sister as PM. Hardly an ideal situation for his Democrat etc "fan club". I can hardly see him simply buying a motorcycle combo and riding around selling luk chin in his dotage.

He is a Messias, a Messias can´t go to prison.

Easter was last week... you remember the story? It includes a messiah, a crown, a prison, a cross, nails, ...

;)

To me the great unanswered question is if the oft quoted opinion of "Thaksin should return and serve his sentence" were to come true then what then? You've got a "clean slate" Thaksin on your hands with a sister as PM. Hardly an ideal situation for his Democrat etc "fan club". I can hardly see him simply buying a motorcycle combo and riding around selling luk chin in his dotage.

Easter was last week... you remember the story? It includes a messiah, a crown, a prison, a cross, nails, ...

wink.png

I have a picture somewhere of a Japanese Easter window display featuring a crucified Santa Claus...........amazing.

The comparison misses a bit because JC purportedly dies, whereas Thaksin claims he will not, he has an immortality amulet I think. So there's no reason to delay the Second Coming (of Thaksin that is) indefinitely except perhaps the risk of immense social conflict, even civil war. But what's that compared to the riches he promises all his devotees who serve him (survive) for 6 months, and B7.5 million for those who die for the cause.

BTW you forgot the rabbit, chocolate eggs, hot cross buns...........

To me the great unanswered question is if the oft quoted opinion of "Thaksin should return and serve his sentence" were to come true then what then? You've got a "clean slate" Thaksin on your hands with a sister as PM. Hardly an ideal situation for his Democrat etc "fan club". I can hardly see him simply buying a motorcycle combo and riding around contentedly selling luk chin in his dotage.

Let's face it. The whole thing is a great fugazi no matter what the outcome. Thai culture ( for extreme want of a better word) or whatever allowed Thaksin to become what he was. Now unfortunately it's having to suffer the consequences.

Don't forget, Thaksin also has other criminal charges to answer to.

the last one we nailed on the cross, why we can't do it with this one as well?

Gandhi, Mandela and Hitler all did time! Surely "Takki" doesn't consider himself better than those king pins of history??

I remember the number 80,000 baht regarding Samak's TV paycheck but I have no idea if it was per show or per month.

It is also a matter of principle - one show might not have distracted him too much from his PM duties, what about two shows per week? What if he decided to do three shows? What if he wanted to do a daily show? What if he took a consultant position to some large private company and had to submit weekly reports on their business strategies and prospects?

Any show needs to be filmed and so Samak, the prime minister, needs to move his prime ministerial schedule to allow time for that. How's that not interfering with his PM job?

On top of all of that, there's the Thai law which says that PMs cannot have two jobs regardles of whether it's cooking show or selling snakes, and the said law is the same in most countries in the world.

Why have this law? Simple - Thai citizens, any citizens, have a right to expect that their PM is devoting all his/her thinking and energies to running and developing Thailand. Part-time approach not acceptable!

If Thaskin were to be arrested and incarcerated he would never be allowed to run for any office. Don't forget the 111 gearing up for their comeback. Thaskin will come in saying that he does not seek the PM seat but will have to because of the pressure of his mass folowing and Pardon Thaskin Party which is all the past election was ever about and all in the name of Democracy. (Remember this post in the next few months)

For myself I was happily living in Thailand before Thaskin and will continue to do so when he get's back. which is pretty much obvious at this point really. Who knows what the future holds for Thailandcool.png

Thai citizens, any citizens, have a right to expect that their PM is devoting all his/her thinking and energies to running and developing Thailand. Part-time approach not acceptable!

In the case of Thaksin, I'd doubt that he would be devoting all of his/her thinking and energies to running and developing Thailand either.