Visa Extension

I must admit I haven't kept up with all of the visa changes in the past few years so consequently I have been caught out somewhat by them. I thought that they still counted days on your visa, but obviously not. I left the country after 2 days of my 30 day voa to go to Laos, then could only get a 15 day visa on re- entry. So now I need an extension I guess, I'm hoping it's straightforward, but have no idea. Do I have to pay this time? I need another 7 days at least to cover my 30 day trip. Cheers.

Entering the Country at a land border point gets a Visa Exempt Entry of 15 days.

The most you will get at Immigration is 7 days to leave. 1,900 Baht.

You will probably have to show an air ticket leaving within those 7 days.

Another border run might well be your only option.

• 2 weeks later...

Expect it would be from date of application as it is not an authorized extension of stay but only 7 days allowed to depart after an application is rejected. It may also require show of ticket out within that period of time.

Thanks, what a mess the whole thing has become when you can't even come for 30 days without worrying about running out of your visa if you decide to visit other countries within days of arriving.

The rules haven't changed in quite a few years actually, as far as I know unless you have a multiply entry or a reentry permit you lose what ever visa or permission to stay in lieu of a visa which is what you had been given.I believe this has been the rule since 1998 when I started coming back to Thailand.

Moe, there have been many incarnations of the visa rules since 98, I have had plenty of experience with visa runs, extensions etc, but have been caught short this time because of the 15 day land border rule, not sure when 30 became 15 though.

As I am a legitimate holidaymaker, 30 day holiday, return flight booked etc, it is a ridiculous inconvenience. I should have applied for a re-entry permit at immigration before I left the country, but only found this information out after much searching.

Thanks, what a mess the whole thing has become when you can't even come for 30 days without worrying about running out of your visa if you decide to visit other countries within days of arriving.

You never had a visa, and the number of days granted at a land crossing for visa exempt entry changed 3 1/2 years ago.

Edited by beechguy