Dozens Of Youths Among 66 Killed On Roads In Thailand On Saturday

webfact

Helmet, helmet, helmet, always wear a helmet when riding your motorbike whether to quickly nip down to the 7/11 or whether to take a long ride on the highway. The amount of people killed in Thailand becauwe they didn't wear their helmet is staggering.

Absolute nonsense! Current scientific and political thinking considers this as old fashioned and incorrect and this is when discussing top quality helmets. The thin sheets of plastic used in Thailand and called crash helmets is a joke. Albeit a sad one as it gives people a false sense of invulnerability. If you crash and hit your head,your head stops, unfortunately your brain floating in its cerebrospinal fluid is pulped inside your cranium. You may look alright but you are either a vegetable or dead, helmet or no helmet! Many Countries and States that first introduced helmet laws are removing them from statute and many others are debating doing so. Some are giving the choice to adults who have the proper insurance to cover medical bills. And so on!

Absolute <deleted>, i was hit by a drunk driver in 1986 and the force of the impact threw me into a parked car on the side of the road which i hit head on, myself severe leg injuries but no head injuries as the doctor said thanks to my wearing a good helmet it probably saved me from death or certain spinal/brain damage, the parked car was classed as a right off because of the damage caused to it by my head and helmet, thank god i had invested in an arai that cost me 200quid, but as i said before most average thais could not afford a decent helmet if they even knew where to get one though i'm sure good helmets today have improved even more in the last 26years, ask valentino rossi or any GP/Superbike rider if they'd race without one on i think his answer would be NO.
  • Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Over 112,000 people had been fined or arrested. The most common offences were not wearing safety helmets and not carrying a driver's licence."

If they'd focus on identifying and removing drunk drivers off the road instead of collecting money for minor traffic offenses, they might actually help decrease the number of accidents. Obviously that's not the focus. The focus as usual is to see how many motorcycles they can pull over and extract 100 or 400 baht fines from the drivers.

More than
749,000 vehicles
and motorbikes had been
stopped

Just because the leading violation were not wearing a helmet and not licensed doesn't mean they weren't after drunk drivers. The majority of deaths in Thailand on the road are those on motorbikes. Things like wearing helmets and safety belts are HUGE factors in reducing road deaths around the globe.

I wear a seat belt in my car and a helmet on my bike. My choice.

Others choose not to. Their choice.

Fining motorcycle drivers takes time and doesn't lead to significant amounts of adherence to the law. If it wasn't about the money, the cops would insist that the driver leave the motorcycle parked where it is until they have a helmet prior to driving away. But that ain't the case. The drivers are stopped, fined, and released -- without wearing helmets. In fact, they can use the ticket receipt as a fee pass for the rest of the day. It IS about the money. Nothing more.

On Songkran, they should just check for alcohol. Don't tie up cops processing fines. Use all the cops to process traffic specifically looking for drunks on motorcycles and cars -- and get them the hell off the road. The more traffic processed, the more likely they will identify more intoxicated drivers.

Anyone thinks helmet and seat-belt laws are about protecting the public from itself is either self-deluded or has been smoking too much of that stuff that will get you tossed in jail too. It's about revenue generation. BIB: "Show me the money."

The day I see a cop refuse to let drivers and passengers back on a bike unless they are all wearing helmets, is the day I'll change my opinion. That day isn't coming any time soon.

Being fined, and stopped is certainly a VERY effective way to enforce laws such as wearing seat belts and helmets. Nobody wants to be delayed or pay a fine regardless if they can go on their way. I can't speak for every state in the US but had my helmet stolen while watching a ballgame in New York many years ago and got pulled over 3 times for not wearing a helmet on the way home, in 2 different states, was issued 2 tickets (insignificant amounts) and not once did any cop hint at the fact I couldn't drive home. And there is no disputing the fact that enforcement of helmet and seat belt laws in the US has had a HUGE impact on both their use and reduction of fatalities. It really is no different than being stopped for not having tail lights, they don't impound your car or not allow you to go on your way after you are issued a citation.

One just need to look around Thailand (at least Bangkok) and see the significant increase of helmet compliance just in the last few years to see that fines work.

Edited by Nisa

This angers me !!

Such deaths can only happen in Thailand !! This is the responsibilty of the government.

How can the government allows this event to carry on knowing very well there are certain numbers of death and accidents every year ?

I am sure European or Singapore government, for example will never allow such to happen.

The government must take some controls in the future.

Knowing very well, the young and underage are more restless and careless, some rules and conditions must be set:

Examples:

1) People below a certain age must not be allowed to drive into certain wet areas during these few days.

2) During those few days, maximum driving speed must be reduced in certain areas.

Of course, this means spending a little more by stationing some traffic officers to check in the affected areas; but I am sure it worthwhile. I can't think of other precaution measures. This festival event cannot be stopped.

Somebody please make sure the above conditions be reached to the transport ministry. I don't want my beloved country to kill so many innocent lives every year.

This angers me !!

Such deaths can only happen in Thailand !! This is the responsibilty of the government.

How can the government allows this event to carry on knowing very well there are certain numbers of death and accidents every year ?

I am sure European or Singapore government, for example will never allow such to happen.

Are you serious? You really believe the number of deaths don't increase (and actually double) in some places in Europe during holiday celebrations? As for Singapore, lets not confuse a very controlled Island of 5-million people with Thailand.

Road safety needs to improve in Thailand all year as does safety education but when all is said and done somewhere around an additional 10 people (30% increase) are killed each day on the roads during Songkgran. A typical Memorial day week-end in the US (a modern industrialized nation with aggressive laws and police enforcement) sees the rate over three days go from about 285 to 475 (67% increase).

It is a sad that people lose their lives unnecessarily but I personally would rather live in a country where you need to take more care of yourself and has less controls, regulations and government enforcements and control over ones daily life. I find Thailand has the best balance for me.

Edited by Nisa

I saw a kid come by on a motor bike today, no helmet, if he was 10 years old I would be I would surprised, not the first I have seen like that either so its no surprise, they way they learn to traverse the highway. Before long it will be full power and hope for the best, then he meets someone of the same ilk. Its not just at this time of year, its just highlighted at this time of year. Thais do not drive with due care and consideration, they flout the law just like back in the UK, on the phone, in control with one hand, bike going straight ahead, looking in the shops, is it really a surprise. It is sad dont get me wrong but society needs to do something about this not wave your hands about once a year!

This angers me !!

Are you serious? You really believe the number of deaths don't increase (and actually double) in some places in Europe during holiday celebrations? As for Singapore, lets not confuse a very controlled Island of 5-million people with Thailand.

Road safety needs to improve in Thailand all year as does safety education but when all is said and done somewhere around an additional 10 people (30% increase) are killed each day on the roads during Songkgran. A typical Memorial day week-end in the US (a modern industrialized nation with aggressive laws and police enforcement) sees the rate over three days go from about 285 to 475 (67% increase).

It is a sad that people lose their lives unnecessarily but I personally would rather live in a country where you need to take more care of yourself and has less controls, regulations and government enforcements and control over ones daily life. I find Thailand has the best balance for me.

The standard of driving in Singapore is not much better. People always run red lights, weave between lanes, speeding, tailgating etc. All the usual stupid behaviour that is associated with driving in Asia. In fact Singapore has the same number of road deaths per capita as the UK, however the UK has four times as many cars per capita, so compared to western countries Singapore is just as dangerous as Thailand. The cars are just a bit newer and shiner.

This angers me !!

The standard of driving in Singapore is not much better. People always run red lights, weave between lanes, speeding, tailgating etc. All the usual stupid behaviour that is associated with driving in Asia. In fact Singapore has the same number of road deaths per capita as the UK, however the UK has four times as many cars per capita, so compared to western countries Singapore is just as dangerous as Thailand. The cars are just a bit newer and shiner.

Off topic post edited out.

The most astonishing thing I see here (apart from the thai apologists on this website) and this comes down to basic common sense is that maybe 0.001% of the cars on the roads carrying children have proper child seats, or even children restrained in the standard car seats. I just cannot understand considering how much cars cost in Thailand that you would not spend 5000 baht buying a device that would save your child's life in an accident.

Most of the taxis in Bangkok remove or stuff the clip for rear seat belts under the rear seat so they can't be used. Would it be so difficult for the taxi companies to enforce seat belts are useable in the rear of cars? Does Thailand really need another 30 years of evolution to do this? Especially as if a 200lb man is sat behind the driver and there is a head on collision the driver has 200 lbs of man hitting the back of him at 60 kmh crushing him against the steering wheel.

Thailand needs to have those road safety awareness commercials like they show in the West, but I assume that would mean making people face up to their responsibilities or accept the reality of a situation and we all know thats a big no no round these parts.

With the safety aspects cars have now, the crumple zone, side impact, multiple airbags, computer controlled anti lock brakes that the US cars didnt have 30 years ago there should not be half as many fatalities as there are on Thailands roads as there are in the present day. The roads are as good as the US, the cars are as safe as in the US so there in theory should be the same amount of fatalities, even less as a higher percentage of the US population per capita own cars. But somchai doesnt like wearing a seatbelt or he wouldn't be a somchai. And he likes to drink and would not dream of letting his wife drive him and the kids home after 2 bottles of lao khao, that would mean losing face in front of his buddies, and if he's a bit late why not drive up the emergency hard shoulder, everyone else does and if he gets stopped hell only pay 100baht to the police. Nothing will change till its taken seriously and nothing in this country is taken seriously.

Edited by metisdead

Off topic post edited out.

The most astonishing thing I see here (apart from the thai apologists on this website) and this comes down to basic common sense is that maybe 0.001% of the cars on the roads carrying children have proper child seats, or even children restrained in the standard car seats. I just cannot understand considering how much cars cost in Thailand that you would not spend 5000 baht buying a device that would save your child's life in an accident.

Most of the taxis in Bangkok remove or stuff the clip for rear seat belts under the rear seat so they can't be used. Would it be so difficult for the taxi companies to enforce seat belts are useable in the rear of cars? Does Thailand really need another 30 years of evolution to do this? Especially as if a 200lb man is sat behind the driver and there is a head on collision the driver has 200 lbs of man hitting the back of him at 60 kmh crushing him against the steering wheel.

Thailand needs to have those road safety awareness commercials like they show in the West, but I assume that would mean making people face up to their responsibilities or accept the reality of a situation and we all know thats a big no no round these parts.

With the safety aspects cars have now, the crumple zone, side impact, multiple airbags, computer controlled anti lock brakes that the US cars didnt have 30 years ago there should not be half as many fatalities as there are on Thailands roads as there are in the present day. The roads are as good as the US, the cars are as safe as in the US so there in theory should be the same amount of fatalities, even less as a higher percentage of the US population per capita own cars. But somchai doesnt like wearing a seatbelt or he wouldn't be a somchai. And he likes to drink and would not dream of letting his wife drive him and the kids home after 2 bottles of lao khao, that would mean losing face in front of his buddies, and if he's a bit late why not drive up the emergency hard shoulder, everyone else does and if he gets stopped hell only pay 100baht to the police. Nothing will change till its taken seriously and nothing in this country is taken seriously.

As I mentioned, one only need to look at the number of accidents and road deaths over the years in Thailand and you can see they are trending down and as I pointed out, nowhere do these numbers change over night.

As for kids and car seats, couldn't agree with you more that there needs to be education on this as there should be on thousands of others things in less developed nations. Less developed nations are almost always by definition less safe, less organized, having fewer checks and balances .... It makes no sense to act as though safety numbers should be the same as they would be in the worlds leading industrialized nations. In fact, a place like the US, parents didn't even have an option before the 60s to buy a child safety seat because they didn't exists and it wasn't until decades later it became fairly common place for states to have laws and enforcement regarding their use. Yet, everyone knew long before they would save lives. There simply is different priorities depending on a countries current growth as well as having to slowly push control and take away the freedoms from people to choose their own level of safety and that of their children.

Again, I personally prefer the greater freedom Thailand has and the responsibility being upon individuals to keep themselves safe and of course this is going to have a down side but even the little things ... I would prefer to be able to come to an intersection and not have to come to a complete stop, when it is safe not to stop, or be nailed with a up to a couple hundred dollar fine. If you look around a city like Bangkok you won't find near the amount of traffic signals you find in the west and would be hard pressed to find Sois with stop signs.

Edited by metisdead

"Many of the victims - 39 - were underage, according to Education Ministry data linking road trauma statistics over the Songkran holiday to students. An inspector-general, Supphakorn Wongprat, said 30,027 minors had been fined or prosecuted among more than 110,000 offenders."

Can this be true? 39 of the 210 killed were underage, or almost 20%, which I assume would include passengers. But then it says 30,027 underage were fined out of 110,000 total, which is almost 30%. You can't be fined for being a passenger, so does this mean 30,027 underage youth were driving without a license? If so, does it suggest that 30% of the people on the roads were/are unlicensed underage drivers?

I believe the article is saying 39 o fthe 66 killed on Saturday were underage. That would be about 60% which is in line with the percentage of people under 24 that make up the anual road death toll in Thailand. There is a serious problem with young people on motorcyles that should not be allowed to drive or if they do, should not be allowed to drive in the reckless manner they do.

The only good thing is they rarely kill anyone but themselves the other young person on the back. Cruel, but true,

But then, teenagers and vehicles are a reciept for death anywhere in the world.

TH

Edited by thaihome

If you look around a city like Bangkok you won't find near the amount of traffic signals you find in the west and would be hard pressed to find Sois with stop signs.

So all western countries have more traffic signals than Bangkok? Interesting comment, would love to know your source. One thing we can agree on is that western countries have better flowing traffic than Bangkok, so perhaps there is a good reason for these signals as in Bangkok you are more likely to die in a traffic related accident and if you don't die its going to take you longer to get to your destination than the same distance journey in the West.