Can I Still Get Free Health Treatment In Australia?

giddyup

I have been living in Thailand for two years now, and my Health Card was cancelled by Centrelink when I left Australia. If I had to return for health reasons would I be eligible for another health card? I know a friend of mine had a huge problem getting his Australian age pension because he had been living in Thailand for 5 years and wasn't considered to be an Australian resident any longer, only a citizen. In fact he had to return to Australia and live for nearly 2 years before he became eligible for the pension. Do the the same restrictions apply for a Health Card?

Edited by giddyup

In theory, yes they apply.

There was a news story a few years ago about a phillipine expat who had cancer and they would not let him use medicare.

That's tough. I lived and worked (paid taxes) in Australia for 50 years, you think I would have earned the right to free health care.

Edited by giddyup

There should be some sort of grandfathering rule for long term taxpayers yes.

Unfortunately, some sort of rule like this is required for both health and pension to stop all the ethnics who come over, get citizenship and then bugger off back to their own countries with our pension and the medicare safety net at their beck and call.

The problem is that the number of expats is too small to influence policy.

There should be some sort of grandfathering rule for long term taxpayers yes.

Unfortunately, some sort of rule like this is required for both health and pension to stop all the ethnics who come over, get citizenship and then bugger off back to their own countries with our pension and the medicare safety net at their beck and call.

The problem is that the number of expats is too small to influence policy.

Yes, I understand the thinking behind the restrictions, and I guess the minorities would bleat like sheep if only "natural born Australians" were given an exception. I certainly wouldn't want to see Australia's health system abused by foreigners like in the UK. I can remember when it was cheaper for Americans (and a lot of other foreigners as well) to fly return to the UK to have dental work done or give birth.

Please stay in touch on here regarding this problem as I'm in the same boat with Medicare card expired after living outside of Australia for nearly 9 years now.

I assume you don't get a Centrelink aged pension then? Unless you were granted a pension before moving to Thailand, which is what I did.

Please stay in touch on here regarding this problem as I'm in the same boat with Medicare card expired after living outside of Australia for nearly 9 years now.

I assume you don't get a Centrelink aged pension then? Unless you were granted a pension before moving to Thailand, which is what I did.

No, I'm only 52.

No, I'm only 52.

Be aware that you will have to live in Australia for two years prior to turning 65 if you expect an aged pension.

Be aware that you will have to live in Australia for two years prior to turning 65 if you expect an aged pension.

Just to clarify, if I returned at age 65 I would never get it?

You would have to come back and be resident for the two years, so eligible at 67 then

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I live here at least 10 months a year and have done for over 11 years as a self funded retiree. Not 65 yet and have no intention of claiming the old age pension --- unless we have another 2008 with a magnitude of 5. Never had myself classified as a NON resident for tax purposes thus still filing a normal tax return every year with the levies etc. Just received a renewed Medicare Card a year ago and they also renewed TW's and her daughter. Their Permanent Residence expired 2 years ago and we did not go down the RRV path.

So the right hand still does not talk to the left.

Currently have a friend who turned 65 late last year doing his 2 year penance after a failed attempt to get the pension.

I still have my Medicare card 12 years after leaving. Fully up to date

Do you return to Australia every year? I don't know how it can be up to date if you have been permanently out of the country for 12 years. Mine has just expired and I don't know any other way of getting a new one than returning to Australia.

Do you return to Australia every year? I don't know how it can be up to date if you have been permanently out of the country for 12 years. Mine has just expired and I don't know any other way of getting a new one than returning to Australia.

Key is not letting it expire for longer than 6 mths i think. They will just post you out a new one.

My accountant told me i automatically become a non resident if i live outside of australia for longer than two years( which this financial year i will) i think my tax will be a flat 10% and no medicare levy, i do have private insurance in oz because i was getting taxed 1.5 % medicare levy for been above the threshold so i guess i will keep this going even without the rights to medicare and at 44 i doubt i will qualify for pension in 20 years either

Key is not letting it expire for longer than 6 mths i think. They will just post you out a new one.

They just keep posting one to my sister's address and I keep collecting it.

I got caught out when they posted a replacement card to my old address and it was returned undeliverable.

It's not rocket sciense. ALL my mail is delivered to one address and opened, any issues that can be sorted are done so by my PoA, I'm consulted on anything half important (like a failure to vote fine, some time ago, which I sorted with a simple email). Anything that needs my personal attention or Renewed plastic cards (bank, medicare, library etc. are sent by my PoA via registered post to my PO box here. Haven't lost one in over 10 years having the PO Box.

There was a news story a few years ago about a phillipine expat who had cancer and they would not let him use medicare.

That's tough. I lived and worked (paid taxes) in Australia for 50 years, you think I would have earned the right to free health care.

It is a bit of a beat up from my experience.

As others have said, if you live outside of Australia for 5 years they take you off the books.

There is nothing to stop you taking it up when you return home though. As an Australian citizen, it is your entiltelment, and all that it is required -from my experience - is that you walk back into a Medicare office with some sort of proof that you are moving back to Australia (if they ask for it), at which point you are back on the books. There doesn't have to be a 'reason' why you are moving back. As an Australian citizen, you have the right to be there without question.

As others have also said, it is pretty easy to keep on the books simply by keeping a valid mailing address. Keeping in the system solves any problems later.

Centrelink eligiblity works differently however, and there are many threads running on this already.

Combine with emergency repatriation insurance which flies you home of need be, and I think you have a pretty good and solid health care solution for those too old to get private health insurance in Thailand without paying prohibative premiums.

I've been outside Australia for two years now. ( I'm nearly 64yo) My new Medicare card has been sent to my mailing address at a friend's place, and another friend will bring it to me soon when visiting.

I'm a self funded retiree (about 85,000 pm) and had a small top-up CL DSP which expired after 13 weeks away.

My accountant has stated he won't do my tax any more because ATO rules class me as a non resident and I will lose the tax exempt status. (will mean a difference of about $3000) He has suggested I do it myself on Etax if I want to keep claiming to be a resident.

In just over a year I will be 65, and will have been away for 3 years. If I front up and apply for the OAP will I have to meet the two year thing or does that only apply to people away for 5+ years?

@Old Croc, I find it strange that your accountant wiped his hands of you --- being a self funded retiree and assuming you receive your gratuities from Australian investments.

I'm in that situation and had the same accountant for more years than I can remember. He hints that what I'm doing is "if'y" but seeing as though my only source of income are investments within Australia and I'm still paying tax although not physically being in the country he is happy with it. As I said earlier I'm into my 11th year.

AND On a more positive side I was stimulated nicely a couple of years ago along with most of Australian tax payers!

One thing that really gives me the woops being self funded is if I/we ever decide to return to Australia full time after I turn 65 I cannot get things like a 'Seniors' card or any pensioner benefits. That's pure discrimination and putting 'shlt' on anyone who works toward their retirement.

Edit: Typos

Edited by bdenner

Everyone's tax situation is different but after living in Thailand for a couple of years my Australian accountant said I had to decide if i was going to stay overseas or return to Australia. If I was going to stay overseas then I needed to inform the ATO I was no longer resident in Australia and file my tax returns accordingly. "Iffy" is fine so long as you don't get audited.

Yes your right but it's all very subjective. If the ATO decide I'm not worthy of being a normal tax payer,coming and going as I please, and I pull my funds out of Australia who is the looser, certainly not me! I'll have no hesitation doing that.

I've been outside Australia for two years now. ( I'm nearly 64yo) My new Medicare card has been sent to my mailing address at a friend's place, and another friend will bring it to me soon when visiting.

I'm a self funded retiree (about 85,000 pm) and had a small top-up CL DSP which expired after 13 weeks away.

My accountant has stated he won't do my tax any more because ATO rules class me as a non resident and I will lose the tax exempt status. (will mean a difference of about $3000) He has suggested I do it myself on Etax if I want to keep claiming to be a resident.

In just over a year I will be 65, and will have been away for 3 years. If I front up and apply for the OAP will I have to meet the two year thing or does that only apply to people away for 5+ years?

I'm pretty sure you have to be living in Australia continuously for two years prior to turning 65. I know my friend who had been in Thailand for 5 years had to go back and spend two years in Australia before they would grant him the OAP. That meant he was actually 67 before he got the pension. I didn't decide to live in Thailand full-time until I'd turned 65, so I already had the pension before I came. The aged pension is means tested, so if you get 85,000 baht pm, you won't get a full pension. I have a superannuation pension of about A$1100 pm, plus bank interest on term deposits, total of about $26,000 a year, and Centrelink pays me $550 pm.

Edited by giddyup

It is a bit of a beat up from my experience.

As others have said, if you live outside of Australia for 5 years they take you off the books.

There is nothing to stop you taking it up when you return home though. As an Australian citizen, it is your entiltelment, and all that it is required -from my experience - is that you walk back into a Medicare office with some sort of proof that you are moving back to Australia (if they ask for it), at which point you are back on the books. There doesn't have to be a 'reason' why you are moving back. As an Australian citizen, you have the right to be there without question.

As others have also said, it is pretty easy to keep on the books simply by keeping a valid mailing address. Keeping in the system solves any problems later.

Centrelink eligiblity works differently however, and there are many threads running on this already.

Combine with emergency repatriation insurance which flies you home of need be, and I think you have a pretty good and solid health care solution for those too old to get private health insurance in Thailand without paying prohibative premiums.

I actually rang Medicare this morning. They said my new Medicare card had been returned because I was no longer living at my last Aussie address, but I gave them a new address of a mate in Australia and they said, "no problem we'll send you out a new card". Of course they had no idea I was even phoning from Thailand as it's a 13 number, which is the same price as a local call. I was surprised that I could dial a 13 number from Thailand, but as long as you put +61 in front it's OK.

Edited by giddyup