External Hard Drive Portable ?

Rob5060

I am going to buy an external hard drive for general storage/backup. I think WDs look very good

Just wondering if I should buy a normal hard drive or portable. I dont intend to travel with it but will move it around in the house to other TVs or PCs

"Normal" - physically bigger, requires power supply, more Gb per US$, bigger capacities available.

"Portable" - Smaller, runs off USB power, limited (wide availability) to 1Tb, although 1.5Tb & 2Tb drives are out.

It's really up to you. You get more bang for buck from an external, more portability from a portable.

Personally I prefer portable. When 2Tb portables hit the mainstream and the price has stabilised, I'll be shifting my stuff onto a bunch of them and selling a bunch of 500Gb to 1.5Tb drives... :)

• Like 1

"Normal" - physically bigger, requires power supply, more Gb per US$, bigger capacities available.

"Portable" - Smaller, runs off USB power, limited (wide availability) to 1Tb, although 1.5Tb & 2Tb drives are out.

It's really up to you. You get more bang for buck from an external, more portability from a portable.

Personally I prefer portable. When 2Tb portables hit the mainstream and the price has stabilised, I'll be shifting my stuff onto a bunch of them and selling a bunch of 500Gb to 1.5Tb drives... smile.png

I am also interested to get a portable drive. Does anyone know where to buy the new WD, 2TB portable with security software build in around Bangkok

I like the portable drives as they are self contained and much smaller and lighter than the normals.

I have two brands. I have the Western Digital and I also have a Seagate. Personally, I prefer the Seagate.

Originally, the WD portables were simple. Plug in the USB cable and off you go. But the newer version added builtin software/hardware for automatic backup (I think that's what it's for). And EVERY time I plug that drive in windows wants to install the new hardware. Since I do not use the drive as an automatic backup device, but as a portable hard drive, I do not want to install the new hardware nor do I want windows nagging me each and every time I connect the drive. So this aspect of the WD portable drives drives me crazy.

No such issues with a very recent Seagate portable drive purchase.

To me, one of the biggest advantages of the small portable units is that you do not need a separate power supply. They are all powered via the USB cable.

I am also looking for the new 2TB Western Digital portable HD in Thailand. I don't know if it is available yet but the newspaper The Nation claims it is "at selected resellers". I am based in Chiang Mai but could order it from somewhere else in Thailand if necessary. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Sorry to gate crash here but my C drive is always full and l move stuff to D & E drive. It's a tower so can l install something to increase C drives capacity ?.

Get a new internal HDD for your tower. 7200rpm drives are quite reasonable (well they were before the floods). You need to verify your motherboard supports SATA and then buy a 3.5 inch 7200rpm sata hdd.

Sorry to gate crash here but my C drive is always full and l move stuff to D & E drive. It's a tower so can l install something to increase C drives capacity ?.

Get a new internal HDD for your tower. 7200rpm drives are quite reasonable (well they were before the floods). You need to verify your motherboard supports SATA and then buy a 3.5 inch 7200rpm sata hdd.

Well you've lost this ol' crock but if it is possible l will try my local shop.

Could be, that you only have 1 drive and somebody (supplier/wannabe "IT guy") partitioned it into 3? And if that's the case, it could just be "badly" partitioned.

First, I would check if it's just badly partitioned and maybe just adjust the partitions/sizes. Free. Well, free if you have an IT savvy friend...

Without knowing for sure why you have a drive C, D & E I wouldn't spend too much money before finding out.

transam,

It is typical to partition a single hard drive into multiple partitions;

C:Drive is the partition which will have the Windows OS installed onto it.

C:Drive & D:Drive are data partitions.

There are advantages to this strategy;

(1) If the OS fails, then reformatting and reinstalling the OS will not cause data loss on the other two partitions.

(2) The OS partition will become fragmented. And, defragmenting a single partition is less time.

So, saving data to the C:Drive (partition) and E:Drive (partition) fits into the strategy.

And, also having a small as practical, programs-only OS partition.

But, if your C:Drive is actually a single hard drive, then increasing its size is only by replacement. And, cloning or reinstalling the OS to your new drive.

But, in either case, you may be able to free up space on the C:drive by utilizing freeware file cleanup programs. And, migrating non-OS files from the C:Drive to the other two partitions.

Cheers

transam,

It is typical to partition a single hard drive into multiple partitions;

C:Drive is the partition which will have the Windows OS installed onto it.

C:Drive & D:Drive are data partitions.

There are advantages to this strategy;

(1) If the OS fails, then reformatting and reinstalling the OS will not cause data loss on the other two partitions.

(2) The OS partition will become fragmented. And, defragmenting a single partition is less time.

So, saving data to the C:Drive (partition) and E:Drive (partition) fits into the strategy.

And, also having a small as practical, programs-only OS partition.

But, if your C:Drive is actually a single hard drive, then increasing its size is only by replacement. And, cloning or reinstalling the OS to your new drive.

But, in either case, you may be able to free up space on the C:drive by utilizing freeware file cleanup programs. And, migrating non-OS files from the C:Drive to the other two partitions.

Cheers

OK thanks. Bit confused as l am useless with PC stuff.

I opened ''My Computer'' to see their size, it says

Local disc C drive 19.5GB,

Local disc D drive 68.3 GB

Local disc E drive 61.1 GB

So confused as to why C drive is so much smaller, as it's used a lot.

Microsoft has no idea of how an office should be efficiently organised

That is why, by default, they put EVERYTHING on the C: drive

Rather like putting all your clothes in one draw

rather than organising them sensibly by type of item.

Do you put your documents in a separate folder(s) on the computer?

I hope so.

Move that folder(s) to the D: drive

Perhaps keep your photos and movies on the E: drive

I like the portable drives as they are self contained and much smaller and lighter than the normals.

I have two brands. I have the Western Digital and I also have a Seagate. Personally, I prefer the Seagate.

Originally, the WD portables were simple. Plug in the USB cable and off you go. But the newer version added builtin software/hardware for automatic backup (I think that's what it's for). And EVERY time I plug that drive in windows wants to install the new hardware. Since I do not use the drive as an automatic backup device, but as a portable hard drive, I do not want to install the new hardware nor do I want windows nagging me each and every time I connect the drive. So this aspect of the WD portable drives drives me crazy.

To me, one of the biggest advantages of the small portable units is that you do not need a separate power supply. They are all powered via the USB cable.

I spoke to Western Digital today. The 2 TB My Passport portable hard drives should be available in Thailand beginning at the end of the month.

Microsoft has no idea of how an office should be efficiently organised

That is why, by default, they put EVERYTHING on the C: drive

Rather like putting all your clothes in one draw

rather than organising them sensibly by type of item.

Do you put your documents in a separate folder(s) on the computer?

I hope so.

Move that folder(s) to the D: drive

Perhaps keep your photos and movies on the E: drive

Yep, keep moving stuff. Loads of space on D & E. smile.png

I spoke to Western Digital today. The 2 TB My Passport portable hard drives should be available in Thailand beginning at the end of the month.

Do we know what price ?

I keep all my file pics ect on 2.5 inch external drives, the usb cable is all thats required for data transfer and power supply. However,although they are more robust than the 3.5 inch drives, like them they do have moving parts and as such can fail. If I could afford it I would store all my data on SSD hard drive which have no moving parts and are much faster.

Do we know what price ?

I think I remember reading somewhere 8,000 something baht but I can't recall where or if that is accurate. Sorry.

• Like 1

I have also been looking at a Seagate Goflex 2TB _ I am considering buying in the UK for just under GBP 100.00 and having it sent over.

Again the advantage in getting a portable HD like My Passport is 1) it's a lot smaller and 2) no AC adaptor, just connects to the USB port. Disadvantage is that you pay a bit more.

As they say around here, "up to you."

I have a Seagate 2 TB external hard drive, Yes, it does require a power supply block. The reason I have the Seagate rather than the WD is because it can use USB 2 as well as USB 3 ports. My computer is fairly new and is capable of using the USB 3 hard drives. The USB 3 is considerably faster. The cost is between 4,000 and 5,000 baht.

Hi guys I use this one, I bought in Japan for $70, but there are Chinese copies all over Asia it has cooling fan, USB 2.0 & 3.0, eSATA and can take two 3.5 and two 2.5, you can put the disk in and take it out and replaced with another one, there is a catch to it, if you took the disk out while it is switched on the disk will be destroyed .

http://www.century.co.jp/products/series/series-razoku/cros2eu3cp.html

I have around 30 external HDs I use for my work as a photographer.

I really like the WD portable ones, mainly because they have adapters that can make them either USB or Firewire compatible. (So I can use them with my Mac Air while traveling.)

Anyone any experience with Buffalo (no wisecracks please), there seem to be a lot of them on the market.

Don't seem to be any Iomega around - result of the floods or other reasons?

Hi there Mike, just a note of caution; despite the name, the company is a Japanese one, unfortunately those one sold in BKK and Pantip are all fakes, not most of them all of them are fake, as the company does not export,

http://buffalo.jp/product/hdd/external/hd-lbfu2/, me and few friends bought one for comparison, even from the packaging material, they scream they are fakes, but they worked! for how long, I cannot remember, if you buying make sure to get warranty and keep it, as well, bargain the price down as much as possible!

Anyone any experience with Buffalo (no wisecracks please), there seem to be a lot of them on the market.

Don't seem to be any Iomega around - result of the floods or other reasons?

Hi there Mike, just a note of caution; despite the name, the company is a Japanese one, unfortunately those one sold in BKK and Pantip are all fakes, not most of them all of them are fake, as the company does not export,

http://buffalo.jp/pr...ernal/hd-lbfu2/, me and few friends bought one for comparison, even from the packaging material, they scream they are fakes, but they worked! for how long, I cannot remember, if you buying make sure to get warranty and keep it, as well, bargain the price down as much as possible!

Hi Kujirasan,

Many thanks for the warning.

I was looking for an Iomega in Fortune yesterday but none available (effects of the floods?) and most of the shelf spaces seemed full of Buffalo, with WD a far second and very few Seagate around (floods again?).

I'll probably go with WD but thanks again as I had never heard of Buffalo wai.gif

Before the "Buffalo" info gets any more inaccurate...

Buffalo are a fairly well respected brand in the US & Europe. Their website is http://www.buffalotech.com. http://buffalo.jp is part of Buffalotech.

gp may be correct that buffalo Japan may have some devices specific to the Japanese market that aren't available outside Japan - I don't know - but long story short, whether the Thailand Buffalo drives are "fake" is highly debateable since Buffalotech DO have a presence in Thailand. Their drives may be simply a different design, aesthetically, from the Japanese market version - this is a common practise.

Also note, that Buffalo are NOT a drive manufacturer, they are an OEM. In other words they buy OEM drives from Seagate, Western Digital, whoever and incorporate them into their external cases.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Edit: Just had a look at the Buffalo Th website, seems they have opened (last month) a new branch in Centralworld, and they have several "official" dealers in Pantip.

Edited by bobl

FYI: Had a 3.5 "portable" Seagate (Always though this brand to be way above WD). I "dropped" it (about 1/2" to the desk on accident). Took me hours to get the data off and it was junk after that.

In the end, buy cheap and replace every few years as needed.

I have a tiny Apricorn drive for carrying my MP3 collection. 225gb, served me well. Now many of the WD drives are as small. But for daily duty - I'd go for the 2.5 standard.