For Ones Who Work In Gastronomic And/Or Hospitality, How Can You Find Job Here?

Again, I am looking for job for my BF who is Chef.

From last year, he wasn't ready to leave all everything especially his good work in Germany to come living with me.

But seem within this year, he cannot say NO.. I will need him helping me with my work also.

We are sending out his CV, but this seems not easy to get shortlisted.

Even we seen so often, new hotels are more opening and coming up.

As I heard, the chain-group of hotels usually provide staffs from their other hotels in the same chain-group to come work in their new branches, similar to the swapping of staffs?

I think it is quite impossible if we will just walk in and apply for work position. Am I right?

Moreover, when I looked into the newspaper, rarely found they looked for the Executive Chef, how come?

Another way is I must have good connection with biz owner, but no way.. I am just an ok-living person, not Hi-so.

So I am curious, for the ones who work in this kind of career, how can you find the job in Thailand?

(Please guide me how to :D)

Sorry no change unless he has a Michelin star in his own restaurant.

Working in a Kitchen as a chef is only for Thai persons.

Being a Teacher or Manager would be ok , but why hire a foreigner when a Thai person cost so much less.

Best thing to do if he is a good cook is to open a restaurant self an teach your Chef your stile of cooking.

• Like 1

Agree with you, Terminatorchiangmai..

We are also on the way to build up own biz, it will take some time to do so.

The way for him to have experience with working in Thai company is also the way for making good biz connection.

I don't mind if he will have less salary than other expat here... as long as he can contribute his work network.

I think this is important benefit for our future.

Thanks for your opinion, cheers

If he is a formally trained, with certificate, executive chef, then he should already know how, and where to look to find a job in any country he goes to. If he is just a cook with no formal training then his only way is to open his own restaurant. No one is looking for a foreign cook. Does he know how to cook all Thai food extremely well? Does he know what a head chef is?

He is also going to face a serious need for a non-immigrant visa very soon. Has he thought about how he is going to get his long term visa so he can stay here? If your business is on the list of restricted jobs for foreigners then that avenue is closed.

Edited by koolbreez

Being a Teacher or Manager would be ok , but why hire a foreigner when a Thai person cost so much less.

Best thing to do if he is a good cook is to open a restaurant self an teach your Chef your stile of cooking.

I disagree. I know of a New Zealand guy who previously worked as a catering manager at a gold mine in Australia (so he hardly qualifies as a top name chef) who found it very easy to get work here.

He landed a job at a five star hotel within a couple of weeks, didnt enjoy it, and then managed to find a job in the kitchens at the Landmark almost immediately. Salary in both was around 100-120k a month, so it wasn't local wages.

The key was that he was here already. I suspect it would be impossible to do it how the OP's bf is doing it; he simply needs to bite the bullet and take a risk. Given the number of hotels going up and the importance of western tourism to Thailand, I would imagine he's ideally placed to find something pretty easily.

If he is a formally trained, with certificate, executive chef, then he should already know how, and where to look to find a job in any country he goes to. If he is just a cook with no formal training then his only way is to open his own restaurant. No one is looking for a foreign cook. Does he know how to cook all Thai food extremely well? Does he know what a head chef is?

He is also going to face a serious need for a non-immigrant visa very soon. Has he thought about how he is going to get his long term visa so he can stay here? If your business is on the list of restricted jobs for foreigners then that avenue is closed.

Not quite, I must disagree.

Well, certification?

He has, not the michelin star, but the long listed experiences by working more than 20 years in a few countries.

Just those places all are in European Continent.

Thai food? Of course no, but this not quite necessary to know before how to cook Thai, this can be learnt while working here.

And I can help him with this, he will be OK.

I realized what he will have next is the visa-stuff, that's why I want him to have work with decent company,

so he will have his own work permission.

To have own business, as said I am about to.. buo this need a lot of money to buid up.. well, take time.

:)

I disagree. I know of a New Zealand guy who previously worked as a catering manager at a gold mine in Australia (so he hardly qualifies as a top name chef) who found it very easy to get work here.

He landed a job at a five star hotel within a couple of weeks, didnt enjoy it, and then managed to find a job in the kitchens at the Landmark almost immediately. Salary in both was around 100-120k a month, so it wasn't local wages.

The key was that he was here already. I suspect it would be impossible to do it how the OP's bf is doing it; he simply needs to bite the bullet and take a risk. Given the number of hotels going up and the importance of western tourism to Thailand, I would imagine he's ideally placed to find something pretty easily.

You mean this has happened in Thailand? Wow, lucky tho.

May be you are right, I have wondered also..

Before, we planned for him to finish his contract with Germany by end of this year, and then come looking for permanent job.

Its me who going to have new work which I will need him to help setting up, that's why we have to rush our plan.

I am making him to quit his good job and come taking risk in Thailand :D

So should be me who looking for job for him here, my responsibility, right?

Thank you for your valued opinion, cheers