Death Threat To Thaksin Remains: Defence Minister

webfact

RUNAWAY EX-PM

Death threat to Thaksin remains : defence minister

The Nation

30180031-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Defence Minister General Sukampol Suwannathat re-confirmed yesterday that fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra is being targeted for assassination.

Because of security concerns Thaksin is reported to have cancelled a market visit in Cambodia. He had flown to Phnom Penh to visit the father of Cambodian premier Hun Sen.

Sukampol added that criticism of Thaksin’s recent moves might hamper national reconciliation and had not taken into consideration that Thaksin had the right to travel and his actions were acceptable.

Matichon yesterday reported Thaksin had breakfast at the City Angkor Hotel in Siem Reap with key members of the Pheu Thai Party and the red shirts - such as his brother Payap, former People Power Party executive Yongyuth Tiyapairat, PM's Office Minister Worawat Au-apinyakul, MP Aim-orn Sinthuprai, and her husband red-shirt leader Nisit, and Aree Krainara, secretary to the deputy agriculture minister.

Some red shirts saw him off yesterday and Thaksin also gave money to a girl who danced for him.

Meanwhile, former 2006 coup leader turned reconciliation maker General Sonthi Boonyaratglin has warned the passing of any national reconciliation bill must proceed cautiously.

Sonthi, head of the House ad hoc committee on national reconciliation, said it fell on the government to create a mood of reconciliation before any such bill was passed. This he said, was in accordance with the recommendation of organisations like the King Prajadhipok’s Institute (KPI).

He added that KPI proposals also included a need for fact finding and transitional justice.

The Pheu Thai party’s support for passing an amnesty bill through Parliament or for seeking a royal decree must proceed carefully, Sonthi warned. The party must heed the majority voice in society and ensure that the move would not deepen existing conflict, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-17

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the OP photo I'm thinking " So this leprechaun walks into a pub....."

I was thinking more along the lines of "A drunk farang walks into a Pattaya bar with a ladyboy on his arm and exclaims, lookee here, I got me one of the prettiest girls I ever done did find.........."

Looking at the OP photo I'm thinking " So this leprechaun walks into a pub....."

I was thinking more along the lines of "A drunk farang walks into a Pattaya bar with a ladyboy on his arm and exclaims, lookee here, I got me one of the prettiest girls I ever done did find.........."

Taksin looks nothing like a ladyboy !!! and he certainly wouldn't prostitute himself for money would he...?

Edited by jonclark

And he would be telling the truth.. also , no need to be drunk.. Dont be racist against the Thai third gender.. or is it down to your age..?

Sukampol added that criticism of Thaksin’s recent moves might hamper national reconciliation and had not taken into consideration that Thaksin had the right to travel and his actions were acceptable.

It's interesting that the Defence Minister thinks that someone who is on the run to avoid a jail sentence has the right to travel.

It's interesting that the Defence Minister thinks that someone who is on the run to avoid a jail sentence has the right to travel.

If you are on the run avoiding a jail sentence, you do have the right to travel, providing you think you did nothing wrong. farlangs just don't understand Thai law!! Duh

The Defense Minister should give more details, just who he knows is targeting the former-PM for assassination, as he travels the world, what's the source of the information ?

The minister might find it a little hard to give more details about who it is, as they more than probably come from within the ranks under his own portfolio. biggrin.png

Defense Minister Makes No Comments About Thaksin’s Latest Move

BANGKOK: -- The defense minister says he does not want to make an issue of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s recent comments on Thai politics.

Defense Minister Air Chief Marshal Sukampol Suwannathat refused to comment on the latest remarks about the current political situation in Thailand by former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, saying that he does not want to go on about the issue.

Meanwhile, he believes the country remains on course to achieving national reconciliation and asks the public not to overly focus on rumors of assassination plots against prominent political figures.

When asked whether he thinks national reconciliation would really happen, Sukampol said it depends on the commitments of the parties concerned.

The defense minister refused to say if it is possible for judicial proceedings to be restarted in cases involving the ex-premier.

He said Thaksin has a right to comment or express his opinion as long as it is within the scope of the law and that, instead of trying to stop him, Thais should carefully listen to him and assess what he says.

Regarding Thaksin’s remarks about possible assassination plots targeting high-profile political figures, Sukampol said there were similar speculations before and he does not want to speculate on the matter because anything is possible.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-04-17

footer_n.gif

Talks of assasination, yellow shirt protests, coups, now you know how far his enemies will go to keep this popular hero to the majority of Thai people from returning to this country.

"popular hero to the majority of Thai people"

Not likely.

• Like 1

Talks of assasination, yellow shirt protests, coups, now you know how far his enemies will go to keep this popular hero to the majority of Thai people from returning to this country.

Just curious, what's your opinions on documented death threats to Abhisit, the Democrat party, judges and other "enemies" for example, on Red Shirt magazines?

The Defense Minister should give more details, just who he knows is targeting the former-PM for assassination, as he travels the world, what's the source of the information ?

The defense minister should not care what happens to Thaksin it is not in his job description.

If Thaksin him self was overly worried about it he would not be sending messenger's ahead to announce his coming and agents to organize red shirts to come and pay homage.

• Like 2

These mysterious "enemies" who don't like him are infact just normal ordinary working tax-paying people who are completely tired of his relentless Napoleon-complex & the damage it has/is causing to this nation.

Amen. And any attempt to drop the charges against Thaksin will trigger the rise of these people again. The Siam Reap event will look like a picnic in comparison.

It's pretty much a given however that Thaksin and co are aware of this. The real concern now is the lengths they will go to to prevent such an uprising. After what I seen in 2010, I would put absolutely nothing past him.

Edited by Insight
  • Like 2

No comment on death threats to other MP's as I don't know of these threats, but the reports of yellow shirt protests and another coup if Thaksin returns I can find all over the world press take this news report from a credable newspaper for example. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDIQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fworldnews%2Fasia%2Fthailand%2F9199353%2FFormer-Thailand-PM-Thaksin-Shinawatra-closes-in-on-return.html&ei=OvmMT8_SBMbJrAefxdTDCQ&usg=AFQjCNGTWormvoZUlpzwBlLCZFIYZmaI7A

Coming from you it shows how desperate his followers are to perpetuate the myth of Thaksin being a hero,

Most stories like that are made up to cover up the truth.What in the world ever made you think that if there was a plan to assassinate him it would only happen ion Thailand. The Army and your so called elites could just as easily have it done in Dubai or any one of the other countries he chooses to call home.

Or do you think it is people like you who have to wait until he walks in front of your gun sights because you can't afford to go to him where ever he is?

The most interesting parts of that report was he paid a girl that danced for him and the Thaksin and Hun Sen relationship is going to the meet the parents level so its not just puppy love.

I hear Lap dancers earn good money. smile.png

There is a large deal that has obviously been made. But not all concerned parties were part of it and agreed in any way. Thaksin is clearly a self-made target. He will need to have one eye peeled behind his back, till his dying day, natural or otherwise. I can't imagine have made such a world class blunder in my personal life, as his hubris and ego has continually pushed him into in his. The gains can't possibly match the risk.

What is that saying.

Step on too many faces on the way up the hill,

and face too many feet aimed at you on your way back down.

Because, there are two feet for every face and NO ONE stays on the top forever.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

The most interesting parts of that report was he paid a girl that danced for him and the Thaksin and Hun Sen relationship is going to the meet the parents level so its not just puppy love.

I hear Lap dancers earn good money. smile.png

Not as much as lap landers though.