Sworn Declaration No Longer Accepted? Or Are They?

CMX

In a thread related to expats married to Thai citizens, two contributors claimed that Chiang Mai Immigration officials had refused their $50 sworn declarations from the U.S. embassy regarding income. I do not want to be an alarmist and do not know that this is the case for all U.S. retired expats! Mine is a search for information only from those retiree expats who have renewed recently, please.

That is, is this also the case with those not married to Thai citizens as well? If so, how does one satisfy Immigration's proof of income requirements to their satisfaction? (Note that I do not wish to exercise the option of parking a year's assurance in a Thai bank.)

I am not interested in 'cheating' here as I am truly eligible to retire under current requirements. Please start another thread (or restore one?) for that.

I'd just like to know what to do. Failing your advice, I'll try to contact the U.S. Consulate here - or even, during this mess of holidays, trek down to Immigration still again.

Can you save me the hassle? Thanks in advance.

That is a rumor that was going around about 6 months ago. It was that US, Canadian and Ozzie. Citizens had to show proof of income.

It was in addition to the sworn statement from their consulates,

There were a few at the time who said they had to and some who said they didn't have to.

Be interesting to hear recent experiences.

I renewed my Retirement Visa in Feburary. They accept the Consulate affidavit. They did not ask for proof of income. They did ask what was the sourse of my income. I explained that the income was from pensions. They asked what Company's, I wrote them on the form and that was all that was said.

They seem to spot check once in a while by asking for documentation to back up avadavit claim. You should always be prepared to provide proof. Those that are trying to stay here by falsifying the paperwork from the Consulate will eventually get caught. We have only been ask once in 14 years. The officer who processed our paperwork said that the things they are required to get sometimes changes with a new head of department.

Best to be honest in your dealings with Immigration and Consulate. If you say you get the money it's simple to prove it if ask.

Edited by Lifer

Certainly I can print out bank statements that show the source of the income.

And I can show it for the most recent online statements. Would that serve?

Many thanks for these reassurances!

CMX, don't fret too much. Printing out your statements should be enough. My husband has been asked what was the source of his income listed on his U.S. consulate letter and he said "I receive both a social security benefit and income from a private pension of a former employer". He started to pull print-outs from his portfolio, but they just said "that's OK". They just want to know if you have a believable story and don't sweat when replying.

Edited by NancyL

I hate to be a harbinger of negativity on this, CMX. Don't shoot the messenger for what I am about to say.

I have a friend in my bldg- lived here 12 years, Thai wife and 2 kids...who went in 2 years ago and got the famous CM Imm officer who is big and loud and demanding...and she insisted on seeing full documentation of all monies referred to in the US Consulate income statement letter.

He scrambled around and had to come back on another day; eventually was done and the paperwork was sent off to Bangkok for the 1 month process delay. It rattled him thoroughly. He is perfectly fluent in Thai, and a natural born schmoozer...but he still got raked over the coals on this proof of income issue. He was never before asked for anything other than the consulate letter.

I think it is something more directed against the matrimonial visa holders. My retirement extension last Sept went like clockwork with a consulate letter, but I use a 50/50 method, as in half in Thai bank acct, half in other income. And I can prove the other income readily- as a matter of fact for the last 6 years I have brought along the full documentation...but have never been asked to show it.

I have heard tell of others stating the same story- a sort of random check, even for retirement extension applicants, of full proof of income for those using only the consulate letter (i.e., no monies in Thai bank account).

Good Luck, and I hope it all works out for you.

If you read the OP, you will see he is asking about "those not married to Thai citizens as well", not just those that are married.

Thanks for that, and I previously edited my post when I caught that distinction as well when rereading... our posts crossing each other in cyberspace. smile.png

When ever I go I take proof of income it is no problem. They never ask at either the US concelate or Thai immigration but if they do I have it.

I think Nancy L answered the married to non Thai question. I know neither one of them is Thai and they both have a retirement visa,

Now if you were to be trying to get a marriage retirement visas and you were not married to a Thai that would be a horse of another color. I think you would each be treated the same as if you are single.

Thanks all.

Since last year went so smoothly, I'll relax (print up statements to keep in case of questions) and proceed politely and quietly, filled with nothing but kindly thoughts.

I can agree with BarnicaleBob. Smooth as silk for me at both the US consulate and at Thai immigration for the renewal of my one-year retirement visa.

I have an American friend (unmarried) who renewed his RV again 3 weeks ago - as above 'smooth as silk'.

Edited by uptheos