What To Wear In The Los To Avoid Looking Like A Reprobate?

HalfSquat

My legs and feet are strangely tolerant to heat so I'm most often in jeans , slacks or khakis, with socks and sneakers (*cheap* Converse ones usually). Then usually a plain polo, sometimes s short sleeved button shirt for the smart look, or a T-shirt. Just be sure to stay away from polyester!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know I probably don't have much of a right to post in this thread as I'm a woman therefore the way I dress myself is a whole different thing to guys...

However, some women do look at what the guy is wearing (well I do, anyway) and I have to say that I have seen some farang men dressed in the most hideous clothes. I know it all about comfort in this heat but some guys seriously... :rolls:

Smartly dressed for work always looks good and without flipflops also. It makes you instantly look more professional.

As for casual, well I guess it all depends on your age but doesn't anyone follow men's fashion these days? I see some really well dressed Thai men in Thailand and I saw some really fashionable European men when I lived in the UK but here it seems to go out of the window! The only time I have seen farang men dressed well and fashionably is at model shoots I've attended but surely guys should be able to dress themselves like this on a regular basis?

I agree, however im probably one of those guys who does not care much about fashion. I just go for some nice body glove t shirts because they look good, are thin and fit my shape good. When i go out i put on some nice dr martens shoes and a pair of jeans.

However many times i cant be bothered to dress up for instance if im in a hurry and i need to go to the big c to buy some food. Then i just hop on the bike in whatever ugly clothes i wear (used to wearing comfort clothes at home) and get the food i need.

I wear a t-shirt, combat style shorts - although not army shorts - and croc shoes (bright yellow are my favs). There is no way I'm wearing jeans or trousers by choice in this heat, although I do sometimes wear linen short sleeve shirts. Do I look smart? No. But I look clean and presentable.

I think alsong as you are clean, look clean and do't wear stupid t-shirt will some daft message, you are OK. Just my opinion and I'm sure many will disagree, but comfort over style in Thailand for me.

Being clean shaven and tidy hair/or shaved head are more important than the clothes.

It also depends on the person, my brother just looks a mess whatever he is wearing. You could dress him in a bespoke Armani suit and he would still look like a beggar.....

This is just an opinion, but shorts should not be worn by males except for taking part in sporting activities. I never wear shorts, except when I go swimming, I just think they look revolting on a man, and if you think you don't look good then you won't feel good, and no, I am not overweight, I am six ft tall and reasonably slim. All my farang friends wear shorts, and most of them are overweight, not a good mix at all. but as I said it is only an opinion. I agree that being clean shaven is much more important than the clothes, facial hair is a complete no no and is really evil looking.

Interesting,

The comments about Thia's attitudes to personal presentation are true.

However , as I do some part time acting I arrived in Thailand sporting a well trimmed beard because of my work and because that is what my passport shows.

Thought this was a big no no here , but every time I tell a Thai I am about to cut it off they plead with me to keep it. That has been unanimous , Strange eh ?

Edited by metisdead
Underscore removed.

If you don't give a stuff about the Thais - other than not being offensive, then wear anything you like except, when you visit a temple - they've long become used to us being sloppy, and most educated and farang-experienced Thais understand our appearance has little to do with actual status and wealth. But you won't get the same positive response from many compared to the above.

I live in a street where most of the (male) Thais go around bare chested once they finish work and get home.

You reckon it would be a good idea to follow suit or is it better to keep my shirt on.

I'm quite hairy which might scare some folks.

Meom, it is definately a good idea to keep your shirt on, to a normal male, the male body is ugly, it doesn't matter if the have big muscles, or are grossly overweight.

If you don't give a stuff about the Thais - other than not being offensive, then wear anything you like except, when you visit a temple - they've long become used to us being sloppy, and most educated and farang-experienced Thais understand our appearance has little to do with actual status and wealth. But you won't get the same positive response from many compared to the above.

I live in a street where most of the (male) Thais go around bare chested once they finish work and get home.

You reckon it would be a good idea to follow suit or is it better to keep my shirt on.

Meom, it is definately a good idea to keep your shirt on, to a normal male, the male body is ugly, it doesn't matter if the have big muscles, or are grossly overweight.

I seen some guys going shirtless in Khaosarn but other then that i haven't seen it in Bangkok.

I agree that for me the male body is ugly to look at but a guy in good shape with a pretty face and young could easily go shirtless and get some girls. Girls don't think the male body is ugly.

I don't know why people worry so much about the temperature here... shouldn't affect you much unless you work as a gardener or are homeless.

some people venture outdoors biggrin.png

Good point - I also do this but if I am going far (during the daytime) I take a cab - everywhere in BKK has air-con so unless you have a job that forces you to be outside all-day (e.g. gardener or professional cricketer) you don't need to get all hot and bothered - if you really enjoy strolling along Thailand's pristine pavements you can do so in the evening when the warm climate is quite a treat

Brit1984. Thailands pristine pavements. OH MY GOD. Which part of Thailand do you come from?

I don't know why people worry so much about the temperature here... shouldn't affect you much unless you work as a gardener or are homeless.

some people venture outdoors biggrin.png

Good point - I also do this but if I am going far (during the daytime) I take a cab - everywhere in BKK has air-con so unless you have a job that forces you to be outside all-day (e.g. gardener or professional cricketer) you don't need to get all hot and bothered - if you really enjoy strolling along Thailand's pristine pavements you can do so in the evening when the warm climate is quite a treat

Brit1984. Thailands pristine pavements. OH MY GOD. Which part of Thailand do you come from?

I think your sarcasm meter was turned of mate.

• Like 1

I seen some guys going shirtless in Khaosarn but other then that i haven't seen it in Bangkok.

I agree that for me the male body is ugly to look at but a guy in good shape with a pretty face and young could easily go shirtless and get some girls. Girls don't think the male body is ugly.

Roblok. No, of course girls don't think the male body is ugly, and in most cases, I certainly don't think the female body is ugly, not in Thailand anyway.

I am a teacher at an international school in BKK and wear long sleeved shirts and a tie daily. I am so hot and sweaty! I'm from a city in the USA with nearly the same climate as BKK and as a teacher there I wore the same thing with no sweat? Why? Any suggestions on other shirts ( I don't want short sleeves with tie. To English teacher/boiler room guy for me?)

I am a teacher at an international school in BKK and wear long sleeved shirts and a tie daily. I am so hot and sweaty! I'm from a city in the USA with nearly the same climate as BKK and as a teacher there I wore the same thing with no sweat? Why? Any suggestions on other shirts ( I don't want short sleeves with tie. To English teacher/boiler room guy for me?)

Maybe the climate is not the same. I find Bangkok hotter and more humid than pretty much anywhere else I have lived. For me, the humidity is the killer. My wife does not mind the humidity so much.

Maybe you spent more time in air conditioning there.

Maybe in years gone by you were younger or fitter or healthier.

As Ray French said "There's no point speculating"

Alan Rooney. "No. No point at all"

though that was on the topic of video referees.

SC

Maybe the climate is not the same. I find Bangkok hotter and more humid than pretty much anywhere else I have lived. For me, the humidity is the killer. My wife does not mind the humidity so much.

SC

Indeed. There are a couple reasons the heat is bad in Bangkok.

1. Angle of the sun. Near the equator, the sun hits the Earth at an angle that is more intense, so your skin feels hotter.

2. Humidity.

3. Breeze/air flow - this is rather non-existent in most areas of BKK. Part of it may be that we are just not in an area that gets much breeze. But, part of it is surely the density and irregular placement of buildings, AND, not least, the way in which solid concrete walls are built up around many, many properties.

4. Average daily temperature. Bangkok is the worlds HOTTEST city by average daily/yearly temp. There are hotter cities in terms of absolute temperature, but what makes Bangkok brutal is that the temperature does not vary much. In other words, it stays hot much of the time. No cool evenings or mornings. By 7AM it's hot. It's hot at midnight. Like that.

Losing weight helps. Staying hydrated helps. Moving slowly and keeping out of the sun helps. Wearing, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing made of natural fibers (very lightweight cottons, linen, silk) will also help. Sometimes, however, it's just too goddarn hot. Like now. Wed and Thurs will be the hottest days of the year. Nothing you can do shy of just staying out of the heat and using the AC.

SC

Indeed. There are a couple reasons the heat is bad in Bangkok.

1. Angle of the sun. Near the equator, the sun hits the Earth at an angle that is more intense, so your skin feels hotter.

2. Humidity.

3. Breeze/air flow - this is rather non-existent in most areas of BKK. Part of it may be that we are just not in an area that gets much breeze. But, part of it is surely the density and irregular placement of buildings, AND, not least, the way in which solid concrete walls are built up around many, many properties.

4. Average daily temperature. Bangkok is the worlds HOTTEST city by average daily/yearly temp. There are hotter cities in terms of absolute temperature, but what makes Bangkok brutal is that the temperature does not vary much. In other words, it stays hot much of the time. No cool evenings or mornings. By 7AM it's hot. It's hot at midnight. Like that.

Losing weight helps. Staying hydrated helps. Moving slowly and keeping out of the sun helps. Wearing, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing made of natural fibers (very lightweight cottons, linen, silk) will also help. Sometimes, however, it's just too goddarn hot. Like now. Wed and Thurs will be the hottest days of the year. Nothing you can do shy of just staying out of the heat and using the AC.

In my experience, 1. is certainly not the case. I find Singapore and Kuala Lumpur have far more pleasant climate than Bangkok, despite being more equatorial, while the hottest hot I've ever experienced was way up North in Dubai - there gets "hot hot hot hot hot", which can be quite unpleasant during the day.

Living on a high floor, and having windows on both sides of the property makes a big difference, especially if they are tinted (and open, if you want to avoid using the aircon...).

I definitely believe the humidity the most important factor.

So there we were, enjoying a quiet drink on the verandah at the yacht club, down by the river, and it was a lovely evening in the setting sun. Then, when the sun sank below the horizon, the temperature presumably dropped a fraction, and correspondingly the humidity increased, and suddenly it became intolerably muggy, and we had to retire to the air conditioning...

SC

In my experience, 1. is certainly not the case. I find Singapore and Kuala Lumpur have far more pleasant climate than Bangkok, despite being more equatorial, while the hottest hot I've ever experienced was way up North in Dubai - there gets "hot hot hot hot hot", which can be quite unpleasant during the day.

Living on a high floor, and having windows on both sides of the property makes a big difference, especially if they are tinted (and open, if you want to avoid using the aircon...).

I definitely believe the humidity the most important factor.

So there we were, enjoying a quiet drink on the verandah at the yacht club, down by the river, and it was a lovely evening in the setting sun. Then, when the sun sank below the horizon, the temperature presumably dropped a fraction, and correspondingly the humidity increased, and suddenly it became intolerably muggy, and we had to retire to the air conditioning...

SC

Totally agree. Bangkok is stiflingly hot for most of the year. I was in South India during the infamous and deadly 2007 summer heatwave (although not in Delhi where it reached 54C in some parts) and it wasn't less comfirtable than Bangkok on an average day.

Mind, I was there last Winter when it went down to 20C and actually put a jacket on in Bangkok for the first time in my life. It was the same in Rangoon: the traders on Bogyoke Aung San Market went home one day because it was so cold and rainy, and that was in April, a couple of weeks before thingyan.