Thai Cabinet Approves Ban On Imports Of Used Vehicles

webfact

Of course, if one wants to bring a cherished 2-seat convertible, they could get a Thai national living in the country where the car's located to have it registered in their name and then, after 18 months, it can be imported into Thaiand for next to nothing in the way of import duties.

AFAIK this rule is for foreigners and Thais alike.

Well I made enquiries of an import agent to bring a classic BMW Z1 I've owned for 13 years to Thailand. They quoted me 2.5m baht.

The car's 22 years old and, with the exception of Japan, it was never sold in Asia so I asked the agent what she based the duty on; she said on "how nice it would look to customs minus left-hand drive and no air con". laugh.png

She did add, however, that I could sell it for nearly double that.

I checked the appropriate government website; did the calculations based on the vehicle's age, engine size etc, added the duty etc and got far, far less than 2.5m so I'm thinking the rules are actually nothing more than suggestions.

This is the one I had to leave behind ,with pain in the heart.

Truly gutting isn't it? sad.png

But then again, imagine the grief you'd have getting the door belts changed over here.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another example of why the Thai economy is in better shape than most western economies. simply block all competition.

it help also to attend economic meetings and talk about the dangers of protectionism.

about time the west started to learn from the east.

Yes, if only. The UK and Europe should have done this years ago. Too late now.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just received permission to import so it can be done. It took about two weeks from the aplication which must be done in person in Nonthaburi .

First Ministry of foreign trade approves, then I take letter to the customs house of my choosing.

Any car over 10 years old gets an 80 % discount.

You tell the custom's agent how much its worth , declare it essentially as you would any other product.

However, foreigners will need to have had 5 years of continuous B visas. And a WP . It helped I have a business and numerous bank accounts and can show years of expenditures.

Think I will start a new thread with req documents

I have just received permission to import so it can be done. It took about two weeks from the aplication which must be done in person in Nonthaburi .

First Ministry of foreign trade approves, then I take letter to the customs house of my choosing.

Any car over 10 years old gets an 80 % discount.

You tell the custom's agent how much its worth , declare it essentially as you would any other product.

However, foreigners will need to have had 5 years of continuous B visas. And a WP . It helped I have a business and numerous bank accounts and can show years of expenditures.

Think I will start a new thread with req documents

Please keep us all informed. Even if it starts going bad. From threads I have read you have done the easy bit. When the car gets here it becomes harder. Especially concerning getting the plate and blue book. Good luck

sent from my Wellcom A90+