Pest Control Phayao

ripstanley

Man, I have been living in Phayao for the last three years and I hate to say it, but tying to get rid of ants, especially, would be like trying to empty the frikken ocean with a dip cup. You either poison the sh*t out of yourself trying to get rid of them, or you just learn to live with them. I found I can keep them at bay in the kitchen at least by not leaving one single morsel of anything laying around, and I also used some plastic coasters to put under the legs of our cupboard, filled with water...to keep the little SOBs out of that. It does work. I would recommend that chaulk stuff as opposed to any spray crap. I have over the years, become synthesized to pesticides and so cannot/will not use them. Good luck with them....pg

The main problem are ants and spiders. I have just built a new concrete home and would like to get rid of ants around the home.

There's a Dog & Cat Flea powder called PINK that a friend put me onto. It works, don't know how, but it works. after killing your ants with spray in the normal way, dust the area/trails where the ants come in, including the phone lines etc with the powder. It will keep them away. I wouldn't recommend using it on Any Cats or Dogs biggrin.png can't help with the spiders, we don't get many, maybe keep some Thai Chickens, they will eat anything smile.png

Let us know how it goes .

I would guess that many here in the Rai are not very citified and instead of using services tend to do this kind of thing themselves. I believe Harsu or someone once posted about home remedies that were more environmentally friendly. A Google search might shed some light on homemade remedies.

I believe there is a sub forum that might deal with this but don’t feel like looking for it.

For spiders one periodically goes around the house with a small broom head attached to a very long bamboo pole. That will remove the spider webs and disrupt the lives of the spiders until the next time you need to do it.

Cleanliness is very important with ants. A crumb of food, a drop of oil from cooking, a dish left in the sink, even a dead bug you stepped on but forgot to pick up will bring ants running. I sometimes wipeout a line of ants with a sponge and follow it all the way to their entry point which is usually very evident. I then spray the entry point and go outside to see if I can track them further.

Some people have pipes installed during the foundation stage of the house build to facilitate pumping pesticides into the ground around the house annually. That can help to keep termites and other pests at bay. Hardware stores have industrial strength pesticide you dilute with water I think and can be spread around the entire circumference of the house.

I have seen signs and trucks around Chiang Rai town that advertise pest control but have never used them so don’t have that information stored in the limited RAM available to my brain.

Personally I have always had better luck sourcing things through Thai friends as their networks are better than ours. You are living a rural life in a tropical climate so bugs are going to be your constant companions. Some of the swarms can be quite impressive. Just get your revenge by eating them when they are in season.w00t.gifbiggrin.png

Edited by villagefarang

Thanks for the ideas. I will let you know how I go

Getting back to the forum to let us know how you get on would be greatly appreciated. Followup seems to be a lost art in this digital age but people still respond favorably to it. Hope you and your buggy friends can come to an agreeable living arrangement.wink.png

For ants, try getting a spray bottle and put some diluted rubbing alcohol in it....or don't dilute it....and spay them with that. Any residual will evaporate in no time and I don't know about ants, but the last time I accidentilly spilt some in my lap.....OMG....it just might work. It has to be better than toxic residue all over your home. And I agree with a previous poster on the broom on the end of the bamboo pole trick....seems like arachnids don't like disruption...they might go elsewhere....once again, good luck....pg

• 3 weeks later...

I found an ant poison in Tesco Lotus. It is called ARS ANT KILLER. It is a a granual which is place in a small container which the ants can enter. They then take it back to their nest and kills them. It works okay but not 100%. It slows them down for some time. I hope this may help other users.

So how are you dealing with the swarms that have no doubt inundated your home after these recent rains?

We have been having a battle the last 4 days. Big problem first day and a lot got into the house. Now we keep the lights inside house to a bare minimum and it has been manageable.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So how are you dealing with the swarms that have no doubt inundated your home after these recent rains?

When they came some got in but with flywire on all windows and doors it slowed them down. Closed all curtains as well. Only had 2 bad times so fairly lucky.