Cellular Signal Repeater/Booster For Personal Use

hml367

Does anyone know if mobile phone signal repeaters and/or boosters are legal to install in a private home?

I have seen posts on TV that people have purchased them. I think mostly outside of Thailand. I contacted a mobile phone support business and I was told they are illegal to install.

If they are available in Thailand, could anyone tell me where I can check prices, etc.?

Thanks.

MSPain

GSM as in AIS?

Theirs is different, not 850MHz. There's a 900MHz repeater for that from the same supplier. http://www.pantipmar...ducts&id=127985

I am aware of the frequencies. I looked at the one you posted, then searched for the correct one. Thank you again for the information.

In the mean time I received an answer from AIS and they said they have repeaters available. I will see what happens with them before going ahead with purchasing from outside.

You have been a great help.

Thanks again,

MSPain

• Like 1

That's interesting, they told you they could sell you a repeater? I'll be interested to hear the outcome of this...

If my Alzheimer's allows...I will post the results. I have emailed them answers to questions they have asked.

MSPain

I found this device. It lists the freq. covered.

it also has an omni directional antenna rather then a Yagi. Would this work in Thailand? I don't know the freq of Thai Cell providers,

http://www.ebay.com/...m=170816101125

P

Thank you for that.

AIS replied and indicated they have repeaters available. They are supposed to come check the area I am in and the signal. I will post the results when something happens (or not !)

MSPain

Anyone know a 1800 mhz repeater for dtac / true (ability to work with 2100 mhz tot 3g is a bonus!) in thailand?

You're unlikely to find a dual band 1800/2100 but there are plenty of triband 900/1800/2100 repeaters available.

Just search "triband repeater". I've seen these in China but haven't found anyone in Thailand doing them yet...

Edit: Scratch that, I saw some 1800/2100 dualband ones while I was having a quick look at triband ones - so they are available.

Edited by bobl

• 3 weeks later...

It's been quite some time now. AIS has replied a couple times that they are working on the "problems with the network in that area". I don't hear from them unless I contact them first. They said the support/technical people would contact me. I haven't heard from them yet.

The way I understand about a signal repeater is that if the technical people decide it would be needed, then they would install "in the area". It sounds to me like it would not be just for one person but for a particular area.

If I ever get anything I will post.

My phone works inside Chiang Mai and in places not far from my house. I would guess it could be a problem with the antennae in my phone not being very good.

MSPain

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Gents,

you all seem to know a whole lot more about this subject than I do - I dont know what megahertz or band my cellphone works on - its a nokia and I use it to make telephone calls. I do know however that it has a 1-2-Call sim card inside it. My issue is that the signal here at my place is not so good. If I climb up the water tower, I can almost get enough signal to make a comprehensible phone call, otherwise, forget it. I'd appreciate if one of you could tell me what I need and where I'm likely to get it to get one of these signal boosters fitted please.

cheers

Bigdod

1-2-Call aka GSM aka AIS (I think - Thai phone companies confuse the heck out of me) are on the 900MHz band. A quick search of the pantip site reveals this one http://www.pantipmarket.com/mall/peace/?node=products&id=132719

"Getting it fitted" would be pretty much a DIY thing. If you're all thumbs and/or uncomfortable around electronics, your nearest TV/Satellite installer would likely help you out for a few beer chits...

• 3 weeks later...

I live near the Suwannaphum Airport and the GSM signal in my mooban is patchy, in my house it barely registers. I have purchased a GSM-980 attenuator and set it up ready for use. The antenna needs to be directed as accurately as possible towards the nearest AIS cell repeater tower. Does anyone know how to obtain the locations of AIS's repeater towers? If I have the lat/long or UTM I can use my mapping software to position the attenuator.

I live near the Suwannaphum Airport and the GSM signal in my mooban is patchy, in my house it barely registers. I have purchased a GSM-980 attenuator and set it up ready for use. The antenna needs to be directed as accurately as possible towards the nearest AIS cell repeater tower. Does anyone know how to obtain the locations of AIS's repeater towers? If I have the lat/long or UTM I can use my mapping software to position the attenuator.

There are a few apps like this for use on android that will give you the info you desire.

Edited by Jayman

I have purchased a GSM-980 attenuator and set it up ready for use.

I don't want to worry you, but an attenuator makes signals smaller.

Not to mention that 980 doesn't cover any of the frequencies used in Thailand.

I have purchased a GSM-980 attenuator and set it up ready for use.

I don't want to worry you, but an attenuator makes signals smaller.

Not to mention that 980 doesn't cover any of the frequencies used in Thailand.

Best guess is a Chinese repeater, a GSM-980 which is a singleband 900MHz repeater. So, not an attenuator. :-)

For the gp - well, just do it the "old fashioned" way. Install your indoor antenna and repeater, then connect the outdoor one. See how many bars you have on your phone. Turn the outdoor antenna through 30-ish degrees. Check again. Repeat until you have a "map" of which direction your outdoor is pointing when you have the most bars on your phone. Lock it down at that. For the most part (for gsm) you don't need the antenna pointing to be perfect, unless you're on the very edge of civilisation and need every 0.1db you can get.

• 11 months later...

It's been quite some time now. AIS has replied a couple times that they are working on the "problems with the network in that area". I don't hear from them unless I contact them first. They said the support/technical people would contact me. I haven't heard from them yet.

The way I understand about a signal repeater is that if the technical people decide it would be needed, then they would install "in the area". It sounds to me like it would not be just for one person but for a particular area.

If I ever get anything I will post.

My phone works inside Chiang Mai and in places not far from my house. I would guess it could be a problem with the antennae in my phone not being very good.

MSPain

Hi, I have a similar issue as you where AIS is " investigating" my signal problem for some 5 months already.

I receive a message every month that they are investigating and I call them at least once a week to complain. It took them 5 months for a technician to come check the signal at my location.

Keep in mind that those technicians are based in a building about 2 km from my place smile.png

The other day I received a call from 1175 to tell me that they would place an " appliance " in my house which would boost my signal. I assume that is also such a repeater.

I was told it could take a month or more to get it installed, so as I see your thread is about a year old now, I would like to ask if you ever received that promised repeater.

I upgraded to 2100 signal and now I do not have the problem. The new signal is great for me.

No, I did not get a repeater installed.

Thanks for the reoly, it gives me a lot of hope biggrin.png

For me the issue is with 2100 Mhz.

• 11 months later...

Don't know if anyone can help.

I have a AIS booster with yagi ariel and it used to work fine.

More recently it started playing up and now although our phones show an excellent signal but we cannot call out or receive calls.

We just get a few beeps as per engaged or a message saying only emergency calls can be made. Nothing wrong with the phones as elsewhere woth anormal signal they work fine.

It's as if they think we don't have an account.

Any ideas anybody?

More recently it started playing up and now although our phones show an excellent signal but we cannot call out or receive calls.

We just get a few beeps as per engaged or a message saying only emergency calls can be made. Nothing wrong with the phones as elsewhere woth anormal signal they work fine.

Any ideas anybody?

It's possible that AIS has reconfigured the tower to AWN 2100

Does your Mobile/Cell Booster have tower signal acquisition indicators showing a good/live signal is being received at 900 / 1800

Any ideas anybody?

It's possible that AIS has reconfigured the tower to AWN 2100

Does your Mobile/Cell Booster have tower signal acquisition indicators showing a good/live signal is being received at 900 / 1800

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by AWN2100

The booster itself shows a full signal as do the phones.

It has GSM980 written on it and has worked well in the past.

It's a bit bizarre really.

I also have a booster for (with CDMA980 written on it) working of a different yagi ariel for my true move connection and that works really well so can't fathom what's up with the phones.

Your repeater has two transceivers, one links to the tower over the Yagi and the other transceiver provides the local carrier signal for your mobile devices.

Since your phones are reporting full signal, I assume that the other transceiver connected using the Yagi isn't working (i.e., radio dying, bad wire, bad antenna, antenna mis-aligned, etc).

If the connector types are the same on both repeaters (GSM980 and CDMA980) you might try swapping them. Interesting that it says CDMA, as Hutch/True supposedly shut down CDMA operations in March of 2013 -- meaning that the CDMA980 device is only re-transmitting an agnostic signal.

note:

AIS is currently moving their TH-GSM subscribers to their new AWN AIS 3G subsidiary network in the 2100 MHz band, as their concessions to use GSM 900 (GPRS, EDGE+) expire in 16-sep-2015. I don't know what happens to their GSM 900 users as no site makes this clear.