Clear Title On Thai Used Car

connda

I'm planning to buy a used car. Test drove it today and for the price it fits my needs. However, after discussing a price, the owner asked for a "cash advance" in order to pay off a debt that the car has been used as collateral. The "red flags" went up.

Giving him money is out of the question, but I told my wife that we could meet with him and the individual holding the loan. We could pay the owner and the owner could pay the person holding the loan. But this still does makes me very cautious.

If the owner physically has the title (I'm assuming this is a "green book") can I assume the title is clear and there is no lien on the car?

If not, what will I need to do in order to protect myself from being rippped off. What should I do prior to purchasing a used car in order to make sure the transaction is legal and binding?

Thanks

Possible he either pawned or made some loan against it...one would assume the holder of that loan took the BLUEBOOK as collateral against the loan. If really interested, do as you suggest and go with him to the holder of the loan and make a visual inspection of the bluebook before handing over any cash.

My wife cleared this up. The owner and the lien holder are coming with us to the Department of Licensing. Everyone can sign whatever paperwork needs to be signed before we exchange money. Hopefully it will go as easy as that. :)

My wife cleared this up. The owner and the lien holder are coming with us to the Department of Licensing. Everyone can sign whatever paperwork needs to be signed before we exchange money. Hopefully it will go as easy as that. smile.png

Don't pay any money before you have the blue book in your name in your hand ! If you live in the same province as the seller, so no numberplate change, it will normally only take an hour or two.

Apart from making sure, that you are not cheated moneywise, it gives you the security that the chassis# and engine# are matching the blue book.

Remember to bring copies of passport/last extension/confirmation of adress. If your wifes name: Her IDcard/tabien ban.

Good luck.

If the dealer not have the blue book, then DON'T BUY! There is sometimes not only the car in the finance, there could be also a personal loan from the former owner "open", which the finance company not need to mention. i mean, you can pay of the dept of the car and maybe you still not get the blue book now, because there could be another dept (like personal loan) to pay. So in matter of fact you have to pay the outstanding balance ofthe car AND the personal loan as well, but the finance company sometime not mention this in advance. Buy only if you see the blue book and all the tranfer documents.

If the dealer not have the blue book, then DON'T BUY! There is sometimes not only the car in the finance, there could be also a personal loan from the former owner "open", which the finance company not need to mention. i mean, you can pay of the dept of the car and maybe you still not get the blue book now, because there could be another dept (like personal loan) to pay. So in matter of fact you have to pay the outstanding balance ofthe car AND the personal loan as well, but the finance company sometime not mention this in advance. Buy only if you see the blue book and all the tranfer documents.

If the car is financed by a finance company, they have the blue book. Any other debts on the car really are of no importance to a prospective buyer, because as soon as the debt to the finance company is paid the blue book will be returned to the owner. What the owner does with the rest of the debt is up to him, but can not be on the car.